Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Bling's REview of Markus @ MIA

Bling

Three years ago almost to the day, I was introduced to the world of electronic dance music. At first, I didnt understand the whole fuss with trance and house. I could not comprehend how these electronically synthesized beats could elicte such a response in a crowd. After three years, i realized dance music cannot be understood in one's head but rather in one's heart and soul.

I recall the first time I saw Markus spin was at Club Maze on December 6, 2002. He opened for ARmin. In fact I was the first one to arrive (as always) and Heather was outside waiting to get in as well. WE did not know each other then but we did talk for a few minutes. The room may have been empty that nite but Markus and ARmin played as if it was a packed house at space. It was the first nite that i truly felt dance music and the love and energy that armin and markus brought to the table.

Since that nite armin has and still is my favorite global dj and markus became a local hero to me.

The second time that a Markus set took me aback was at ARturo's birthday at Space. I was allowed to hang out in the booth and watch Markus perform his mastery upon the decks. It was a nite I will never forget. I met many great people that nite including, Katie, and tons of other TA's. Notable mention also goes to his incredible high energy set at Mansion for WMC !!!

The third and final favorite Markus moment came this week at MIA

MIA review

Great to see so many people come and celebrate Markus's cd release

1. Pat from TA. (whom I enjoyed dinner with along with his friend from Indiana)

2. Miriam

3. Carisa

4. Arturo

5. Damon -its never a TA meetup without damon (lookin foward to the pics u took )

6. Harold

7. Tigerclaw (u da man. glad to see u)

8. Felipe

9. Heather

10. Katie

11. erikamikazee

12. obby (who im sure did CP proud upstairs)

13. Jackie

14. Edgar V

15. sleepfrieq

I arrived very early because I came directly from work. So i walked around for a bit after struggling to find parking which was horrific by the way. Around 830 i meet beatfreak from TA (orlando TA) and we go in to eat. food was great i Had lasagna.

after we paid our bill markus shows up comes up to me and invites us all upstairs to join him. What a great honor. so we go upstairs and we put together a giant table.

Natalia is upstairs as well along with almost everyone I named previously. So we are there talkin about markus's previous residencies in arizona and his little excursion on the north sea with Armin last year. as they spun on the cruise ship (amazing story) . Then we take some pics and i sit and talk to Edgar for a bit

Markus's set

Great set. Notable tracks that i loved

1. burned with desire (my fav track at the moment)

2. Oceanlab-Satellite (so amazing how everyone was singing it word for word... it gave me chills)

3. Elevation-Somewhere (clear blue)

At this point, I meet sleepfrieq from the board who introduces me to thomas Penton. We talk for awhile and thomas gives me a cd. I also got to meet Austin Leeds. I got a pic with both thanks to damon (thanks again)

I must also point out that the women at this place were absolutely smoking hot.

It was great to see Jimmy Buffet in the house as well

So at the end of the evening, I go to pick up the markus cd and markus signs my cd first which was such an honor. he signed it "TO Bling The first cd i sign is for you. markus schulz" I swear when i left i got all choked up. how cool is that

Three years ago when i first started listeing to dance music i never thought i would be in this position today. Eating dinner with Edgar and Markus, considering them friends of mine. I have to thank CP, TA and CJ for allowing us to use these forums as a way to thank and show our support for the djs we love.

It truly was a memorable nite. and one I will never forget

Congratulations Markus

Coldharbor Cd Review

Amazing Cd. It truly is Markus at his best. My favorite of the two Cds is the first one . Satellite is on it as well as Somewhere "Clear blue" for those that didnt get it go out and purchase it. it truly is one to keep

Guest pod

I'm not being a prick, I'm just being realistic. Saleen may be a prick, but he's largely realistic on a lot of industry-related issues.

It's a reality of the club business that the venue needs to make money.

My theory is that the liquor and food sales weren't covering all their expenses for the evening...

Ok im sorry, no saleen is just a prick, plain and simple, ok maybe cause they are paying 93.1 like anywhere between #5,000-10,000 for the broadcast and with the ladies drink for free, i think that is good advertisement, so i think what they need to do is start charging everyone at teh bar, cause to all of the restrurants I have been at, I never heard of anyone charging at the front door, so mayne the guido owner should think about that!!!

Guest pod

Well, either way they are making money off of you!

Plus, not everyone drinks, especially cause it is a school night...I may pound it back, but i'm as sober as can be during the week usually.

And the 93.1 broadcast ain't cheap either..

Guest pod

$10 for a monday night at any venue ... is too much

Tell that to crobar. Unless you're on a list, they've been hitting you up for $15 for Back Door Bamby for 5+ years now...

MIA clearly wasn't making the money off of food or drinks, so they had to recoup it somewhere...

God, it's only $10! I mean, really, to get to see a DJ like Markus spin, it is respectful to pay ten bux. :D

of course it is .. the problem was that they were chargin still for the people that were gonna eat .. keep in mind this is a RESTAURANT not a venue ...

like Tantra is way more expensive and from what i know they dont charge u cover .... and they have music too

God, it's only $10! I mean, really, to get to see a DJ like Markus spin, it is respectful to pay ten bux. :D

The point is they advertise "No Hassle Mondays" yet they have started to pick and choose who they let in and now unexplainably have started charging cover even if you are there for dinner too. $10 wont keep me away but dont advertsie one thing and then do another (especially when peeps drive an hour to get there)

Guest LeVeL

Well we got to remember this restaurant is a business and they are seeing money signs when they see the loads of people entering their restaurant to see thes Dj's spin. I mean Tantra is a nice restaurant and all but Tantra doesn't have Dj's like Edgar V, Oscar G, and Markus playing there. And also this restaurant is being marketed over the radio by 93.1 so their is a difference their people.

At one point or another we have to stop being cheap and be willing to pay for the quality of entertainment your getting. As clubbers we are very pampered because we get to have password to enter clubs and to be on the guestlist of the most prolific clubs in South Florida. So take the 10 dollar payment as a way to insure you, that M.I.A. will keep on providing you these Dj's in the coming weeks to come!

And by the way great review, Bling(Danny) it feels good to know you enjoyed yourself the way you did.

who said we were cheap ! blah blah blah !

is like charging $5 a person at MacDonals because they want a $1 McChicken sandwich .. :D

anyway, the question now is .. would u rather pay $10 and go to MIA for OG on a monday night ? or wait for saturday and pay $20 @ Space ...

btw, OG & EV are some hell of a djs .. but they need to change the line up right away if they are gonna charge for it .. (more different djs) ..or they could separate the actual restaurant from the bar were the dj are going to be and THEN charge those people

Guest LeVeL

who said we were cheap ! blah blah blah !

is like charging $5 a person at MacDonals because they want a $1 McChicken sandwich .. :D

anyway, the question now is .. would u rather pay $10 and go to MIA for OG on a monday night ? or wait for saturday and pay $20 @ Space .

Well you get in for free @ Space, remember their is a guestlist but this M.I.A. is a different place I dont agree with them charging 10 dollars but this is a Business that has to make a profit somehow. Space makes a killing either way, if they charge you at the door or not. By the way nice joke comparing the chicken sandwich that just completely mad me hungry.

Guest ddg

(especially when peeps drive an hour to get there)

werd to that hun....but they gotta do what they gotta do....its worth it to me to drive down an hour after work..pay 10 bones and listen to good tunes by edgar, markus and hopefully oscar soon....good times are worth it in my opinion ;D

Guest JMT

NO SHIT! what a bunch of cheapskates!