Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DJs ????? Vinyl / CD / MP3

B-SIDE1414779017

What do you currently use the most ???  

1. 1. What do you currently use the most ???

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sanmartindj

I use cds 80% and vinyl 20%

Ever since the release of the new cd players (cdj 1000, dn=s5000) peoples perception on cd djing has changed. Even the big name djs embraced the format like eric morillo who if I'm not mistaken uses 3 cdj 1000 and hardly any vinyl.

Evem good old technics sees the future of djing changing and when they release their new cd player (TECHNICS SL-DZ1200) even some vinyl jocks will have to take notice.

As far as sound quality goes, it really depends; I use a cd pool called promo only and the sound quality is second to none, and besides most people won't even know the difference.

The only thing vinyl has going for it (in my opinion) is that it gets better music than cds, but I can definetly see this changing in the future especially as more labels release their music on both vinyl and cd. Another new source of music is the new high quality mp3 sites that have been appearing where you can download all the latest singles and in my opinion the sound quality is very good.

Guest swirlundergrounder

Vinyl more than CD's. CD's will never have the mystique that vinyl does...... Both have their own advantages over each other though.......

Guest djtroko

Vinyl ----50%

CDs-----50%

I love the feel of vinyl and the control you have over it... As many of you have pointed out, there is no doubt that vinyl gives out a better, harder, warmer sound... Still I learned on cds and they are no doubt efficient, light, easy to carry and most of all, easy to obtain... I have been buying mp3s over the net for about a year or more and this is simply fantastic because right now I think that vinyl is just not your money's worth. You spend around $10-$15 for vinyl and how many times do you actually play it. Right now I only buy vinyl that I think are gonna be classics or just simply really good tunes but I buy my fillers and such over the net as mp3s and burn em to cds... Beside, the new cd players have so many features on em that a fuckin technics sl1200 never has and I say this with respect because I know its the best turntable on the planet but couldnt technics put a damn reverse function for the MK5s... Anyways, I respect any style and I think non should be judged as long as they buy the music, respect the artists and know how to use the interfaces... Almost all the good jocks are playing half their sets on cds... Cd promos are easier, cheaper, and lighter...

Thats just an opinion. I have been playing both now for almost 5 years...

Peace

Mike

Guest swirlundergrounder

When CD's skip.....You're stuck. The song is stuck at the skip point. Now the CD sounds like a poorly processed Trans/Pan effect going wrong! Where as if a record skips (when not in the mix) it's only sounds like a a brief thud--d-d. But this is all avoidable by keeping your equiptment clean. Be it CD's or Vinyl.......

Guest swirlundergrounder

i hate needles

True! Needles are expensive to maintain! but there's nothing like having that needle walk that millimeter highwire in the groove of a record...

Guest swirlundergrounder

Different Strokes for diffent folks! Some people like the feel of Vinyl, others like the feel of CD's. About 8 years ago when I saw the first saw a CD player that was made for DJ's I laughed at my friend who stood there and pointed to the CD player and said "This is the future" well I was wrong. But CD's do save space rather than hauling an Odessey wheeled record case around with 85 LBS of records. But for some reason when I DJ with CD's I feel like I'm spinnig on a Barbie and Ken DJ set for some reason. Ha ha

shoot

ok

i buy only one brand of cd-rs, a 50 pack can cost me $70, besides, i am really picky and carefull when it comes to track selection and quality, usually when i buy digital downloads the sound is good so theres no complain there, and the cdj's being the standard in almost every single club helps a lot

with vinyls,

they are HUGE, they take more "care" than cds, its more probable for a vinyl to skip rather than a cd, on an open air stage vynils will be skipin all the time .. and so on and on and on ...

we could just be here for the rest of our lives ..

Guest swirlundergrounder

Very true. If you have a song on your computer that you burned to a CD then you can easily replace it by burning another CD. where as records are harder to replace if something happens to them... FYI..Office depot has a good deal on CD-Rs right now... The brand is called Spin-X, you get 100 CD-Rs for $29.99 and there's no branding on them. They're blank on the top side.....

Guest swirlundergrounder

shoot

ok

i buy only one brand of cd-rs, a 50 pack can cost me $70, besides, i am really picky and carefull when it comes to track selection and quality, usually when i buy digital downloads the sound is good so theres no complain there, and the cdj's being the standard in almost every single club helps a lot

with vinyls,

they are HUGE, they take more "care" than cds, its more probable for a vinyl to skip rather than a cd, on an open air stage vynils will be skipin all the time .. and so on and on and on ...

FYI. Office Depot has a good deal on some CD-Rs right now. The brand is Spin-X, you get 100 CD-Rs for 29.99 and they dont have the branding on the top side so they're blank. Perfect for labeling. I usually buy Maxell but this was a great deal.

shoot

ok

with vinyls,

FYI. Office Depot has a good deal on some CD-Rs right now. The brand is Spin-X, you get 100 CD-Rs for 29.99 and they dont have the branding on the top side so they're blank. Perfect for labeling. I usually buy Maxell but this was a great deal.

That is a good deal and without the label is even better!

shoot

ok

with vinyls,

I am very rugged with my records and the new UDG trolley bags make it so easy to lug records around. Also it is awesome when only a certain number of records get pressed and you have one of the copies where as any one can get the same track on CDR.

8)

Guest swirlundergrounder

shoot

ok

with vinyls,

I am very rugged with my records and the new UDG trolley bags make it so easy to lug records around. Also it is awesome when only a certain number of records get pressed and you have one of the copies where as any one can get the same track on CDR.

8)

This is also a good point. The availability of some records is more limited than some songs on CD. That goes back to my point I made before about CD's not having the 'mystique' that records have...

most record labels right now are offering digital downloads ..

that makes it so much easier than to go to a grooveman look alikes and spent 2 hours to get nothing at the end

i get just a couple of vinyls from time to time and then get the tracks to cd just when i really cant find those

which reminds me, i still have to take that trip to essential groove ..

that makes it so much easier than to go to a grooveman look alikes and spent 2 hours to get nothing at the end

i get just a couple of vinyls from time to time and then get the tracks to cd just when i really cant find those

I will be there this Sat.

Well FYI: I'm a Vinyl Junkie ( I have vinyl stored in three states ;D )

but when I leave (the country) to DJ I can't take most of it..

so I have to use something else and the next best thing IMO is FinalScratch...

<< Since it has the exact same anount of control as the original vinyl and does not cheat for you like other MP3 DJ tools & CD players. >>

??? for you Downloaders where do you find QUALITY mp3

I'm talking legit, too ( I know about beatport / digitaljaymusic & trax2burn... are there others ???)

BTW: I love walking the tightrope !!! (great reference)

Guest swirlundergrounder

I hate digging at the store for 2 hours and leaving with nothing. Why is it when you have money to spend on cutz there's never anything you want and when you don't have money to spend you want everything.

But isn't it the hunt for that cut in the record shop what makes shopping for records so fun? And isn't it more rewarding when you do find that record deep in the bin and you go home knowing that only a number of these records were pressed, the store only got in 2 copies of it and you get to laugh at your DJ buddies who are drooling all over it when you drop the jam at your gig, knowing that even if they trainspot your jam there's a slim chance they will ever find it...? That's one satisfaction that records have over downloads...again ..The Mystique of them!