Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Important South Beach Nightlife News

Guest coach

Guest coach

Hey, for those of you who did not receive the email from Save SoBe (run by the Opium crowd) I have reproduced it here: http://ringmasterproductions.com/sobe.htm. We have to fight city hall on this, they are just so overwhelmed by the condo interests that they do not understand that is just a very small, and overly vocal, portion of the populace.

Also, I hope to see plenty of people in an hour or so at the Miami Beach City Commission meeting.

Guest LeVeL

2:00 AM Cut Off For Alcohol Sales

Dear Friends,

South Beach nightlife is under attack. The Mayor of Miami Beach and City Commissioners are proposing legislation that will change the state of nightlife as we know it.

Please join us if you oppose the proposed legislative acts to prohibit any new restaurants with an entertaining or dancing component south of Fifth Street and in the Sunset Harbor area, and the proposed 2 a.m. cut-off on the sale of alcohol in establishments south of Fifth Street.

Let The Mayor of Miami Beach and City Commissioners know that we’ve had enough! Click below to send the following petition directly to their e-mail boxes. We thank you for your support!

PETITION:

Mayor David Dermer

Commissioner Luis R. Garcia Jr.

Commissioner Saul Gross

Commissioner Matti Herrera Bower

Commissioner Simon Cruz

Commissioner Richard Steinberg

Commissioner Jose Smith

City Manager Jorge M. Gonzalez

City of Miami Beach

1700 Convention Center Drive

Miami Beach, Florida 33139

--------------------------

Request for Economic Impact Statement as required by Miami Beach City Charter Article V (as amended) 5.02 requiring the Miami Beach City Commission’s consideration of the 5 year economic impact of legislative acts for Agenda Item #R5D on April 14, 2004, Second Reading May 5, 2004 and the proposed 2 a.m. Cut-off on Alcohol Sales South of Fifth Street

I AM 100% OPPOSED to the proposed legislative acts to prohibit any new restaurants with an entertaining or dancing component South of Fifth Street and in the Sunset Harbor area (Item R5D) and the proposed 2 a.m. cut-off on the sale of alcohol South of Fifth Street. The prosperity of the South of Fifth Street area and Sunset Harbor area depends on a solid resident base and an abundance of restaurants to service them.

Any regulation on restaurants creates a disincentive for new proprietors to make an investment in restaurants in those areas, diminishes the value of the current investments made by existing restaurants, and creates a barrier to the long-term success of all restaurants. To attract new quality restaurants or motivate existing restaurants to invest, owners must know the certainty of their future and their sales potential.

I believe any ordinance intended to limit restaurants with an entertainment and dancing component or limit the sale of alcohol to 2 a.m. in those areas would have a significant negative economic impact on the City of Miami Beach, and an economic impact study is required by the City’s Charter to analyze the potentially detrimental economic impact to our resort taxes, jobs, new investment in businesses, tourism revenue in those areas and property values.

I hereby request that the city provide the Economic Impact Study required by the City Charter, and request that no further action be taken on its proposed legislative acts to prohibit any new restaurants with an entertaining or dancing component South of Fifth Street and in the Sunset Harbor area (Item R5D) and the proposed 2 a.m. cut-off on the sale of alcohol South of Fifth Street until such time as a meaningful Economic Impact Study has been prepared and presented to the City Commission and to the public for analysis and review. Until such time that I am convinced that the proposed ordinances are in the best interest of all Miami Beach residents and voters, I am 100% opposed to R5D and the 2 a.m. alcohol cut-off.

Signed:

Guest LeVeL

I for one dont want this to go onto effect, I think us clubbers should reunite and stop this. I am not going to be able to go to the beach tonight. But I will send the petition to the commisioner and mayor.

I support the 2am cut off. The issue in my opinion will not affect resturantes. Fuck opium and the other clubs, we have an entertainment district about 10 mins away. Let people live in peace and their values of their homes rise (which benefits all) and lets keep the drunking mess where it belongs, downtown miami. Better parking, better clubs, cheaper etc.

I VOTE YES TO THE 2AM CUT OFF, INFACT, I SAY MAKE THE WHOLE FUCKING BEACH A 2AM CUT OFF.

for the record Miami is 20 mins closer than sobe from my house. ;D

Guest LeVeL

The reason South Beach has become what it has become is because of the club, restaurants, ect....It was never about the condos and if it becomes about the condos then Miami would suck.

The reason South Beach has become what it has become is because of the club, restaurants, ect....It was never about the condos and if it becomes about the condos then Miami would suck.

Times changed, those clubs can't possibly think, the current state of the beach is going to help them, they created the mess by not policing themselves.. fuck em!

Guest durrtylexx

People that move to South Beach know what its all about.Its a mini city.If those condo owners are complaining then they can move to Brickell.. :P

I go to Opium and Nicky's all you haters step back....

Guest pod

Well kids, the ordinance seems to have passed.

Here's the current situation as I can surmise.

The Penrods Complex (Shitty Beach, Pearl), Opium, and anywhere else south of fifth that is open until 5 AM can stay open until 5 AM.

New clubs in that neighborhood and in the Sunset Harbor area pretty much cannot open, and if they do it's really restrictive.

Clubs north of 5th Street on Washington and Collins are not affected whatsoever.

Guest pod

Oh they're fucked. The cops are gonna be on them like a fly on shit.

Habitual offenders will get shuttered for good.