Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Quote of the Day..

from cnn.com

Though educational levels have risen for blacks and Hispanics, both ethnic groups still trail whites in most categories.

More than 89 percent of whites had graduated from high school, compared with 80 percent of blacks and 57 percent of Hispanics. lolllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Guest endymion

Uh? Durh? American high schools are conducted in English?

You would immediately fail the first semester in a Mexican high school.

Guest trancepriest

Graduating from High School is not necesary now adays. Get a GED and go straight to Community College. I see alot of whites sending their kids to community college at an earlier age. If I had a child I sure wouldn't wait for them to turn 18 to send them to college. Why go to college at 18 when you can get a GED and go at 14?

Plus Saleen 45% of Asians have college degrees. The percentage of whites is about 30%. Blacks about 23%.

Guest endymion

My little Asian and I both left high school and went to college a year early, but we both got normal diplomas in the process.

Guest saintjohn
Why go to college at 18 when you can get a GED and go at 14?

even if some colleges are willing to accept 14-year-old students with geds, getting a degree in the shortest possible time isn't the best life plan for most people. unless you are totally committed to a very specific career path, it'd be nice to maximize the value of your taxpayer-supported (free) education (high school). if you don't need/want to be well-rounded, then maybe vocational training would be better than a traditional college education.

there's more to college life than classes, anyway, and sending a large number of 14-year-olds into that environment would be irresponsible.

Guest trancepriest

The world is getting very competitive. Lots of people are going back to university to get post graduate degrees. The fact is that alot of the classes thought in high School are re-thought in college. Classes such as English, Chemistry, Math, Art, Music Appreciation, etc. Why do the same thing twice? School in the end is for education. Getting education in a progressive manner is totally acceptable. Many kids can handle college at 14. An Associates degree at 16 is accomplishable for most American kids. And they still have the same social environment.

I understand your point about the tax burden that this would cause on the system. But the system is rigged to make minorities, poor and uneducated/uninformed parents send there kids through the regular educational maze. Meanwhile more well to do parents are doing everything to push their kids ahead of the game. the education system is really 2 systems.. one for the poor and one for the wealthy. Most parents wouldn't send there kids to community college anyway... because they simple can't afford it.

Guest JMT

The world is getting very competitive. Lots of people are going back to university to get post graduate degrees. The fact is that alot of the classes thought in high School are re-thought in college. Classes such as English, Chemistry, Math, Art, Music appreication, etc. Why do the same thing twice? School in the end is for education. Getting education in a progressive manner is totally acceptable. Many kids can handle college at 14.

14? what are you smoking? did you go to college? none of my classes were the same thing i learned in h.s.

Guest trancepriest

Did you take any english classes in college? Your telling me that a 14 year old kid couldn't take spanish, french, English 1101, 1102, Technical writing 2210. I think a 14 year old could write a resume just the same as a 18 year old kid. And yes I went to college. I'm a computer Science major.

Guest saintjohn

i guess it depends on the college. i feel sorry for kids who aren't being challenged, though. life's too short for easy classes.

btw, i'm sure there are plenty of frat boys waiting to help those 14-year-old ged girls.

Guest JMT

Did you take any english classes in college?

only a couple, i was a business major. very little of what i learned in HS, even honors courses, could have been substituted for the college curriculum. the material was more advanced. your theory sounds good, but in practice it is not rational.

Guest Clarisa

It is easier said than done. I don't know if any of you are raising or have raised kids but it's difficult. Just because they know more of sex than they do of current events or what's happening in our own country is not the same as sending a child off to college at an early age. Especially in Florida with the FCAT crap. They are being taught more facts for the test than facts about other subjects. What it being taught today is not the same as what was being taught when any of us were in school. I would rather have my child be well rounded than a 16 yr old with an associates.