Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Could a dj rock a room if....

V. Barbarino

Guest coach

there was a curtain around the booth, and you could not see them at all? what say you?

Aaaaaaand this is one of the problems with the EDM scene as it is. You could not even ask this question about a live music venue, it would be too nonsensical.

As far as the question goes, I would say "not as much." I mean, I listen to CDs and internet radio and regular radio, and when a good mix comes on, I rock with it. But I like the live aspect of an actual DJ performing. As long as it is a DJ who actually performs and doesn't just change the records. This is the main reason that Ringmaster is moving away from demo CDs and into demo video DVDs.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest durrtylexx

the initial question is curtain around the booth and thats exactly what Victor Calderone used to request at Crobar.

Really? All the way around him so he cant even see how the crowd is reacting? Interesting.

the curtain was pretty much all the way around so people couldnt bother him while he played, obviously this is impossible because the equiptment could get in the way. lots of DJs ask for locked doors, curtains and security while they still face the crowd.

thats fine I could care less, if I have access to the dj.. Face he crowd, but there are people that dick ride and wanna meet these guys, as if they were Gods...thats pathetic...

Guest swirlundergrounder

there was a curtain around the booth, and you could not see them at all? what say you?

Aaaaaaand this is one of the problems with the EDM scene as it is. You could not even ask this question about a live music venue, it would be too nonsensical.

As far as the question goes, I would say "not as much." I mean, I listen to CDs and internet radio and regular radio, and when a good mix comes on, I rock with it. But I like the live aspect of an actual DJ performing. As long as it is a DJ who actually performs and doesn't just change the records. This is the main reason that Ringmaster is moving away from demo CDs and into demo video DVDs.

Its happened to me on several occasions where I get together with a few friends for a pre-funk before going out to a club and we pop on a live internet show such as groovetech or proton radio and the set on it has been so good that we just stayed in, skipped the club and listened to the set............

...........But then went out for aftehours later ;)

Guest durrtylexx

It was the reverse. LP put on a CD then Danny came on.

Certain VIP clubs could get away with doing that, though.

TJ and I discussed putting an iPod with a touchscreen in Mynt once as opposed to a DJ.

Naw dude I saw LP put on cd after Howells, and then Roland came on...No worries its all good the crowd didnt notice..

VIP clubs really dont care about music, the people just want to look pretty..When I go to Mynt or Prive I know what to expect..Cheesy music, but beatiful women..

and a below quality sound system !

trust me when I go these places I don't go to for the music.I usually go with a large group of friends that rather go to these places than Space or Crowbar.

Guest Cosmigonon

the initial question is curtain around the booth and thats exactly what Victor Calderone used to request at Crobar.

Really? All the way around him so he cant even see how the crowd is reacting? Interesting.

the curtain was pretty much all the way around so people couldnt bother him while he played, obviously this is impossible because the equiptment could get in the way. lots of DJs ask for locked doors, curtains and security while they still face the crowd.

thats fine I could care less, if I have access to the dj.. Face he crowd, but there are people that dick ride and wanna meet these guys, as if they were Gods...thats pathetic...

Werd, that's just pathetic :P

Guest eKiTeL

it's nice for the crowd to be able to see the dj, but it's crucial for the dj to be able to see the crowd, how else could they "read the crowd"?

Guest shannon_coolj.

back in the old days, the dj was not the center of attention. that's the way it should be anyway. the music should be the center of attention. who made djs rock stars anyway?

it takes skill to be a dj but after all, all they're doing is playing other people's music -- we should put a curtain around them!

Guest web_norah

i think the "could not see them at all" part is self explanatory, perhaps its a hypothetical question.

i havent been to one club where the DJ is hidden with curtains all around, so the "hypothetical" question is a rather "dumb" unrealistic one.

Guest AlanS

Is the curtain one of those sheer, see through, mosquito net type curtains or more of a stage drop type curtain? ::)

Guest shannon_coolj.

there isn't a club with a curtain around the dj...

i don't think saleen was trying to ask a literal question. i think he was trying to say that if the the dj didn't matter (you can't see him), and all you could hear is the music... would it make a difference?

there isn't a club with a curtain around the dj...

i don't think saleen was trying to ask a literal question. i think he was trying to say that if the the dj didn't matter (you can't see him), and all you could hear is the music... would it make a difference?

beauty and brains!!!

ding ding ding we have a winner. I was cracking up reading these posts about curtaiins. Where is Martha Stewart when ya need her?

Guest saintjohn

once upon a time, before dj culture and/or edm as we now know it existed, kraftwerk played a number of "live" shows featuring lookalike mannequins on stage. the band actually performed behind a backdrop. the popular press reported that the fans didn't seem to notice.

Guest AlanS

I know...I was just making fun of the thread a little. :D

Personally, I think the vibe changes entirely, for both the crowd and the DJ, if the DJ is hidden. I hate setups with booths way up out of the way or hidden in corners. I saw a set up once, at a club in LV, where the booth was in the middle of the dance floor, surrounded by glass. I thought that was cool.

Guest bcnjunkie

i think the "could not see them at all" part is self explanatory, perhaps its a hypothetical question.

i havent been to one club where the DJ is hidden with curtains all around, so the "hypothetical" question is a rather "dumb" unrealistic one.

thank you, my point exactly !

you have no imagination, whatsoever.

Guest web_norah

imagination?

name a club where the DJ is "hidden"....? there are curtains, elevated booths, locked up doors, etc...but a DJ being concealed..give me a break!

Guest LeVeL

name a club where the DJ is "hidden"....?

You know which club hides the Dj, Voodoo Lounge the day I went to see Oscar G it was basically impossible to see him. You had some kind of curtains in the way. You literally had to stop dancing to take a peek at him in action.

But I do think they should put a curtain in some perticular dj's who dont show emotion when they are behind the decks, I think thats a great idea. its all about the music anyways, we should be praising more the producers that get their music played by these supposive gods.

Guest web_norah

i think people using LAME but rather "imaginative" responses turned this into a silly thread..........

Guest LeVeL

This thread started with a good question and has turned lame. ::)

Norah please log-off Cryz C's screename please....... :P