Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Nerve article...

Guest sarahcj

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lyrik

10 to 15000 on a Dj...thats the problem that guy has no idea what DJs to book and for less money....he could stack a lineup---like almost all other promoters and clubs do in other Cities for far less and at the most half that amount w/airline tickets and hotel accomodations if he knew who to book.

Guest JustDade

All you have to do is a little basic math:

Dj Fee - $10,000

Promotion - 10,000

Total (not including overhead and staff) - $20,000

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Nerve's Capacity - 400 people

Cover charge - $20

Max possible door revenue - $8,000

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Assume that all 400 spend $50 each at the bar - $20,000

Pre-tax bar profit - $8,000 (approx)

------------------------------------------------------------------

How was it supposed to work?

Guest pod

Sasha played during WMC 2003.

I understand Mario's gripe, he's looking to recoup his money.

But at the same time, he has lost a lot of good people in the process.

Rudolph has a good point though, that you shouldn't hire the DJ unless you can back it up with marketing. Unfortunately, just booking a name won't draw a crowd. People need to know...plus the non-music crowd needs a reason to go as well. I think Nerve relied too much on the music crowd in Miami, and let's face it, the music crowd doesn't pay for much...they get comped, and don't drink a lot.

I don't think cloning Mynt and Amika will work, since Mynt and Amika, as well as Privé have their crowds, and they aren't liable to leave.

In the end I wish them the best, but I don't think this "retooling" will work.

Guest pod

Yeah I was shocked that he was objective....well maybe because it isn't Mynt. His articles usually involve a lot of bending over for them.

Guest web_norah

this journalist needs to write for CJ! bravo for a nice no fluff piece!!!

dade is right, blame trance...

Humberto Guida sucks

he sure writes a lot of FLUFF

Pod knows how i feel about this guy

Guest shannon_coolj.

Humberto Guida does suck.

He has no idea what he's talking about most of the time when it comes to music.

And Norah, I know what you're talking about - I saw that letter you wrote! ;)

Guest sarahcj

In the past some of his articles have been :o

but for the first time I thought this one was quite well written and informative.

Guest web_norah

this Guida article was a huge departure from his typical *dance music, Mynt, drugs, and chupa chups* standard pieces of writing......

and like Shannon says, maybe i'll send him a little piece of my mind but this time, congratulating his efforts ... ;D

Guest endymion

If everybody concurs on the facts behind that article then I personally would like to thank Humberto for clearing up a few things that I was in the dark about with Nerve. That article spelled it out pretty clearly for anybody who's interested in hearing about what's up with the place. Good read. I know what you guys mean about some of his past stuff but that one was helpful.

Dade too, that was an amazingly clear math lesson, thanks! I never understood what the plan was supposed to be with the kind of big talent that they were booking for that tiny room. Every time I did the same math I also ended up with them losing a bunch of money every time they opened the door but I was thinking that there was some magic secret somewhere that I was missing.

I have had a lot of great nights at Nerve but in my opinion those same nights with that same talent would have been a lot more enjoyable at a club that was actually nice to be in. Nerve is just not a fun place to be, it's uncomfortable. There's hardly anybody there so you see the same pack of music fans for every big DJ and no other scenery. It's way far away from everywhere else you want to be and all of your other friends. You could easily accomplish the same good-music vibe at a club that was a better destination and it would be a much better experience, therefore that's not a good fit at Nerve.

I know that I'm not the only one here who has been cursed to sitting for an hour in the Nerve VIP on one of those couches with a piece of wood sticking into your neck? Or you're wandering drunk through the dance floor and "hey surprise, we're putting a couch for you to trip over in this spot this week", THUMP. The place is uncomfortable, it's hard for me to get people to go there with me to see music acts that I want to see.

Guest web_norah

i like Nerve, it is small, good sound system, comfortable and no attitude type of environment, the DJs that they've booked were very good, the wmc parties they had were outstanding. unfortunately, like Pod said, music alone wasnt making them any money......and sadly enough, the place got broken into. talk about bad luck.

Guest eKiTeL

they should have hired talented local residents (instead of selling residency to the highest bidder) and worked with them to develope a signature sound and vibe (like Space!) get a consistent crowd of music heads going off every week, and then the bottle people will follow after a time to revel in the spectacle... and then after a while start thinking about bringing in big name guests, after you're already making good money (just my 2 pence)

Guest endymion

If it were going to stay a dance music place then it definitely makes sense to work with cheaper and simpler local talent. I had some great times there on the Bliss nights with Ariel Baund and Cowan on the decks. It always seemed like overkill to put anybody bigger there any time other than conference.

Problem is the overall decision to aim at the dance music market. Music people just don't spend money, and I just don't see the bottle crowd ever showing up to Nerve when it's set up for a dance music vibe ever. That might work at Nocturnal but Nerve is a tiny little room that doesn't feel glamorous at all. If you want to go out some night and blow a bunch of cash then there is no way you're going to take a bunch of hot girls there to buy them bottles and impress them because the place doesn't feel like anything special to people who aren't impressed by the Phazon, which is most people.

Guest djjoncowan

10 to 15000 on a Dj...thats the problem that guy has no idea what DJs to book and for less money....he could stack a lineup---like almost all other promoters and clubs do in other Cities for far less and at the most half that amount w/airline tickets and hotel accomodations if he knew who to book.

there was never anywhere close to that amount of money spent on dj's - that was a writer fabricating a story as usual... i don't think there was ever an artisit booked in the place for more that 4k all in including flights.. trust me, i know - i did the bookings - LOL

Guest lyrik

there was never anywhere close to that amount of money spent on dj's - that was a writer fabricating a story as usual... i don't think there was ever an artisit booked in the place for more that 4k all in including flights.. trust me, i know - i did the bookings - LOL

gotta love the media...ya I thought that was bit over the top...but then again how he did business before you guys came along is another story too.

Guest djjoncowan

gotta love the media...ya I thought that was bit over the top...but then again how he did business before you guys came along is another story too.

very true.. i know when i was doing the bookings if the money was spent correctly on promotions instead of needless bullshit, it may have worked.. dj's wanted to play in a small room on the phason and were more than happy to drop the prices.. where the 10-15k number came from i can't understand.. we never paid anywhere close to that number for any event... not even one of the wmc nights that were loaded with talent... it was rare that a night with top dj's cost more than 2,500 all in. on occasion it would be a big larger but that was really rare... like i've always said, people can't come to what they aren't aware of... that was always the biggest problem...