Clubplanet Nightlife Community

techno on the rise

Guest bcnjunkie

Guest ramon

Messageboard flunkies have been saying "next year" for techno for the past 5 years now.

well .. its certainly been creeping into more than just techno dj's sets lately .. :)

Guest ramon

the reason is because it's a follow the leader industry. Even oscar was selling out with the lame tech house. You don't see morillo or dt playing techno.. They play house, and in my house there is only house muisc!

uh you weren't at nerve on sunday .. there was a barrage of techno played .. :)

morillo is playing techno as well .. just look at his latest chart.

Guest bcnjunkie

the reason is because it's a follow the leader industry. Even oscar was selling out with the lame tech house. You don't see morillo or dt playing techno.. They play house, and in my house there is only house muisc!

errrr, wrong, DT spins a lot of tech house and drops borderline techno tracks !!!

Guest trancelator

errrr, wrong, DT spins a lot of tech house and drops borderline techno tracks !!!

It will be interesting to see what he spins the next time @ Envy.

i love message boards...i really do. i love the fact that we're talking about techno like it's a brand new genre to hit the streets.... "let's see how long it lasts." LOL! i love you guys, i really do...

Stryke, my quote is intended for listeners here in Miami who don't really know Techno. I've been listening to Techno giants since 1994 so I know what Techno is and try to incorporate it into my sets. Techno is NOT played here the same way it is played in the rest of the US. No disrespect to you, as I know you play Techno but it's only a handful here who play a flavour of Techno. I personally hope Miami expands it's listening trends and accepts it, the other major cities like LA, Chicago, and New York love it why can't we?

Guest stryke303

no offense rbs, my post wasn't directed towards you. it was directed to a few of the other threads i've also seen on this board and others from miami based boards. and yes, both danny and eric play techno (danny and i used to work at Y& T together and i've been sending him techno records for years at his request for him to play). and this whole further breaking down of genres (tech-house, micro-house, click-tech, blah blah blah) is all bullshit. techno is techno. and james brown is dead isn't really techno...it's euro-dance-cheese (although it was kinda cute...but no serious dj ever played it). anywhoo....techno isn't going anywhere. wether or not miami picks up on it is fine. i'm not here to shove my passions down anybody's throat. just realize that in other parts of the US and the world, house and techno live pretty much together without a problem. i'm not here to proclaim that this music is better than that music. just that good music is good music and that i hope miami opens up its ears a little more. funny thing is that is has without even knowing it. you're all smarter than the people you play on the messageboards ;) see you guys in a couple months ;)

xoxoxoxoxoxo,

greg

just realize that in other parts of the US and the world, house and techno live pretty much together without a problem.

funny thing is that is has without even knowing it.

Totally agree with you on both of these statements.

Guest bcnjunkie

no offense rbs, my post wasn't directed towards you. it was directed to a few of the other threads i've also seen on this board and others from miami based boards. and yes, both danny and eric play techno (danny and i used to work at Y& T together and i've been sending him techno records for years at his request for him to play). and this whole further breaking down of genres (tech-house, micro-house, click-tech, blah blah blah) is all bullshit. techno is techno. and james brown is dead isn't really techno...it's euro-dance-cheese (although it was kinda cute...but no serious dj ever played it). anywhoo....techno isn't going anywhere. wether or not miami picks up on it is fine. i'm not here to shove my passions down anybody's throat. just realize that in other parts of the US and the world, house and techno live pretty much together without a problem. i'm not here to proclaim that this music is better than that music. just that good music is good music and that i hope miami opens up its ears a little more. funny thing is that is has without even knowing it. you're all smarter than the people you play on the messageboards ;) see you guys in a couple months ;)

xoxoxoxoxoxo,

greg

about James Brown is dead i was making a joke ;D, so was Lords of Acid ;D For techno I used to listen to Sven Vath and Laurent Garnier. Back in the day I used to hear that track everywhere (late 80's and early 90's) they used to have this warehouse parties off lincoln road and the entrance was in an alley (one block west of washington) anyhow that's where that comes from. All I said is I have heard a lot more techno influence lately, and it's mainly the DJ's who label stuff, plus I agree 100% good music is good music especially when spun with merit. I happen to like techno and think it would be nice to hear more of it. When I lived in Paris I used to go see Laurent Garnier on thursdays at his Storm parties at the Rex, I miss those days... techno was fun. But i believe there are different techno styles, I went to a tresor party once and I can't remember the name of the DJ but the beat was so fast and pounding it was deafning.

Guest stryke303

xoxoxoxoxoxo,

greg

about James Brown is dead i was making a joke ;D, so was Lords of Acid ;D For techno I used to listen to Sven Vath and Laurent Garnier. Back in the day I used to hear that track everywhere (late 80's and early 90's) they used to have this warehouse parties off lincoln road and the entrance was in an alley (one block west of washington) anyhow that's where that comes from. All I said is I have heard a lot more techno influence lately, and it's mainly the DJ's who label stuff, plus I agree 100% good music is good music especially when spun with merit. I happen to like techno and think it would be nice to hear more of it. When I lived in Paris I used to go see Laurent Garnier on thursdays at his Storm parties at the Rex, I miss those days... techno was fun. But i believe there are different techno styles, I went to a tresor party once and I can't remember the name of the DJ but the beat was so fast and pounding it was deafning.

trust me... do believe that there are different styles and genres. i just think we're forming too many barriers around specific genres lately. then, people start becoming elitists on certain sub-genres. i know people who won't listen to so called "tribal techno" becuase they only listen to "click-techno." that's just fucking stpuid. these people need to take the panties off their heads. we need to be breaking down barriers, not building them up... wow, this is actually a pretty good thread...maybe after i'm done w/ being sick, i'll post regularly again....or not. ;)

Guest aj2234

any dj who plays one style the whole night is just plain boring.

good music is good music regardless of genre .

variety is the spice of life ;)

Guest eKiTeL

yeah Tribal Funky Techno rocks, and it's good to mix with different sub-genres of techno as well as house, and it's good to put panties on your head too, I mean not... sorry :o

Guest bcnjunkie

yeah Tribal Funky Techno rocks, and it's good to mix with different sub-genres of techno as well as house, and it's good to put panties on your head too, I mean not... sorry :o

well I guess it really comes down to who put the panties on your head ;D

Guest ramon

xoxoxoxoxoxo,

greg

trust me... do believe that there are different styles and genres. i just think we're forming too many barriers around specific genres lately. then, people start becoming elitists on certain sub-genres. i know people who won't listen to so called "tribal techno" becuase they only listen to "click-techno." that's just fucking stpuid. these people need to take the panties off their heads. we need to be breaking down barriers, not building them up... wow, this is actually a pretty good thread...maybe after i'm done w/ being sick, i'll post regularly again....or not. ;)

its minimal not click! lol .. anyway i love all forms of techno .. some are just intresting me more than others atm .. i'd be happy to hear someone mix it all up .. a night of straight minimal is as boring as listening to a night of tribal .. the key is to be able to mix all these things and take the dancefloor on a rollercoaster than excites them lets them rest and woops dat ass right back into shape again. :)

Guest nickjunkie

In those cities you see some crowd interaction to it thank god. Every techno event I've been to in Miami outside of WMC has maybe 3 people into it, and 17 bobbleheads surrounding the booth.

House is my favorite through and through, but a little diversity never hurt anyone.

The trick is as always is in the marketing of the event. I've found a lot of techno events around here take themselves way too seriously and scare off a lot of people by promoting themselves as "underground" or other terms along the lines of "we're too cool for the rest of y'all".

What is needed (not just in techno, but in the scene as a whole) is more of a sense of throwing a party to have a great time, and not just for trainspotting and DJ critiquing. Yeah I hang around the DJ a lot, but that is part of my job description. Plus I wander out and fraternize with the ladies too.

I've taken "less-informed" people to parties like this sometimes, and the reaction is "the music is fine, but the crowd sucks! They seem way too serious..."

amen to that. you just made honorary brit...

Guest stryke303

xoxoxoxoxoxo,

greg

its minimal not click! lol .. anyway i love all forms of techno .. some are just intresting me more than others atm .. i'd be happy to hear someone mix it all up .. a night of straight minimal is as boring as listening to a night of tribal .. the key is to be able to mix all these things and take the dancefloor on a rollercoaster than excites them lets them rest and woops dat ass right back into shape again. :)

oh ramon, don't even get me started on you!!!! it's minimal not click...oh please.... it's techno, not tech-house, glitch-polka-ambient, deep-trance-tech, hard-tribal-jazz...STOP THE MADNESS!!!!! oh, and "help computer...stop all the downloadin ;)"

Guest ramon

xoxoxoxoxoxo,

greg

oh ramon, don't even get me started on you!!!! it's minimal not click...oh please.... it's techno, not tech-house, glitch-polka-ambient, deep-trance-tech, hard-tribal-jazz...STOP THE MADNESS!!!!! oh, and "help computer...stop all the downloadin ;)"

i heard it was gabba-polka-core .. :)

Guest vaughan
I personally like the comeback, I still have my james brown is dead on vynil ;D (then again only vynil was available back then).Lords of Acid had some techno tunes too !

I don't know what I'd call all that stuff... but don't get me started... I have crates and crates of that, um....stuff! QUADRAPHONIA!!! ;D

Guest mikepayne

Glitch-polka-ambient is my favorite. If anyone here was ahead they'd be droppin them phat polka tracks all night long. ;D

Guest bcnjunkie
I personally like the comeback, I still have my james brown is dead on vynil ;D (then again only vynil was available back then).Lords of Acid had some techno tunes too !

I don't know what I'd call all that stuff... but don't get me started... I have crates and crates of that, um....stuff! QUADRAPHONIA!!! ;D

Quadraphonia ;D dude i didn't think anybody remembered, well maybe apotheosis !

Guest bcnjunkie

i walk the line between good and evil

this apple's rotten....rotten to the core

I WALK THE LINE

8) ;D

;D but that wasn't quadrophonia