Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Bling & Patois' Review of Cooljunkie Spinoff Finals@ Space : PART 3

Bling

DJ RC

DJ RC concluded the spin-off, whose set established a strong tone from its beginning. The set started off slow and progressive and it kept building and building to eventually pound the audience with relentless beats.

RC had awesome mixing abilities and a great track selection. He conveyed adept timing and instincts with crowd-escalating builds, then falling tides to bring back the calm. Bling’s favorite track was, of course, "Katana-Tribal Shock." Bling, as well as others he talked to, believed that DC RC was the favorite to win based on the combination of his tight mixing and well constructed set, even though Bling prefers Rocky's musicial style overall.

As for Patois, maybe it was the hours she’d spent on the dance floor…the haze of smoke…the wooziness that had taken over her….but his set seemed the most surreal to her, even magic at times. The bass in some of the tracks was so strong that it shook the floor and made her lose my balance. The energy level was surging throughout. She took her leave at the end of his set, amidst clouds of cold mist pouring from the ceiling.

Bling’s review of the post-spinoff

After the spinoffs concluded, Oscar G and Cedric did a tag team set. Though I was there only for an hour and a half of their set it was nasty pounding house that only oscar can bring. Cedric from what I heard (for the first time), was also doing a great job.

Unfortunately I did not make it to the patio as I had wanted (and told roly i would), but sleepiness took the better of me.

Guest tres-b

Who do you think you are, Allen Iverson? Whats with the "Bling thought this" and "Bling liked that"?

tres-b thinks talking in the 3rd person is for athletes, and even they sound ridiculous when they do it.

Guest ramon

ill be honest .. mixing can be improved but track selection cannot be taught.

sure rocky's mixing was a bit dodgy .. ok lets be honest .. it was hella dodgy .. but his tracks were spot on and he had that place rockin and rolling.

scott . i was very disappointed you played a very similar set to what you played at crobar. i guess you went with what works i wouldve liked to see some more creativity from you.

rc, hmm if you are gonna play tribal/prog .. make it bang .. its fuckin space .. i felt alot of those tracks were weak and i was falling asleep for the most part during your set, but take my feedback with a grain of salt.

for the most part whoever wins .. please bring some energy to the room because i would rather not hear another straight hour of drums.

although that dirttttttttttttty filthy .. is fuckin sick.

ps: murder was the bass will bring that place to its knees .. have the balls and drop it :)

Guest biznation00

didn't get to hear scott..

as for rocky & RC...

Rocky had a pretty near flawless program, very different than what we saw at crobar & his track selection was just perfect, fresh & up-to-date. His mixing, was a off at times- getting some pt on that rane mixer would of been helpful. seen him use the pioneer and others flawlessly, but he had a bit of trouble on the rane (bringin' his mixes in a bit too aggressive and just a bit off timing, but didn't wreck em'). Have it not been for that, he would of coasted to victory.

RC had a solid program, built it up nicely and his mixing was on. did some nice work rockin' some tracks, just next time leave the tiesto act at home. lol...

In the end, it boils down to what each judge finds most important in a dj set. Was rocky's great programming & track selection enuff to overshawdow his techinal flaws to claim him victory. or will rc's good technics & solid performance edge out the competition?

I don't know what the judges are thinking. it's a seesaw battle depending on how u look at it. either way, from what i saw of rc & rocky, they both did a nice job. Discarding friendship, i think this competition is closer than we think!

Good luck & may the best techjunkie win! ;)

Guest scootermac

scott . i was very disappointed you played a very similar set to what you played at crobar. i guess you went with what works i wouldve liked to see some more creativity from you.

Well, the set that I played at crobar did get me to the finals so yeah, it works...

Sorry to disappoint you, however, that's what I spin. I'm a progressive DJ. Maybe it's not suited for the Miami crowd which is always a risk I'm going take trying to playing here. Only 3 songs in my set Saturday night were in my set at Crobar (one obviously being the opener).

The other thing you have to consider is the time slots - even though we are 3 individual DJs showcasing our talent, part of being a DJ is knowing your place in the lineup of things. Yeah, I could have gone out and banged the kind of stuff that Rocky and RC played (BTW, guys - loved your sets) but the crowd might not have been ready for that yet. Had I played third, I might have selected different tracks or even bumped up the tempo a bit more.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "a little more creativity" because "creativity" is subjective. What is creative to one person may not be to another.

Thanks for your feedback though - I will keep that in mind. I'm new here - I'm still learning what Miami likes to hear; however, I can't cater completely to them. It's a balance of knowing what the crowd wants to hear and keeping my own voice.

I had a blast and am grateful I was able to play in that club and with Rocky and RC!

Scott

Guest durrtylexx

Here's my review of the mix off...Sorry guys I don't know your names...

So 1rst guy that went on he started things off very nice, perfect opener good track selection..

2nd dude had the best track selection and he actually brought up and down..His mixing might not have as immaculate as guy number 3.In my honest opinion I think he should win..The dude actually worked the crowd up and down and fucked it up..

3rd guy...The man was on fire, spotless mixing...He had the crowd in a frenzy..I liked his enthusiasm and energy that he gave..He fucked up the horn and the crowd ate..As far as the music, he kept it at one level hard. I wanted to hear him do something bring down work it up again..Mix in some vocals, but he never did..

I think guy normal 2 had the best mix and worked the decks..All 3 guys are talented and deserve to be headliners in South Beach...Respect to all 3, and may the best man win... ;)

Guest durrtylexx

their names r all over these threads...get w/ the program!

I'm going to have to kick your ass man..I don't care if your

6'4"

BIOCTH :P

as for rocky & RC...

Rocky had a pretty near flawless program, very different than what we saw at crobar & his track selection was just perfect, fresh & up-to-date. His mixing, was a off at times- getting some pt on that rane mixer would of been helpful. seen him use the pioneer and others flawlessly, but he had a bit of trouble on the rane (bringin' his mixes in a bit too aggressive and just a bit off timing, but didn't wreck em'). Have it not been for that, he would of coasted to victory.

RC had a solid program, built it up nicely and his mixing was on. did some nice work rockin' some tracks, just next time leave the tiesto act at home. lol...

In the end, it boils down to what each judge finds most important in a dj set. Was rocky's great programming & track selection enuff to overshawdow his techinal flaws to claim him victory. or will rc's good technics & solid performance edge out the competition?

I don't know what the judges are thinking. it's a seesaw battle depending on how u look at it. either way, from what i saw of rc & rocky, they both did a nice job. Discarding friendship, i think this competition is closer than we think!

What room were u in? Rocky's Mixing was aweful,yes he had very good track selection but guess who picked out his tracks.Come on people dont kid yourself, we all know thats not his style,it was all pre-selected by people who know what works at Space.It was all buttered up for him,he just couldnt cook it right! His aweful mixing was disguised by horns & sirens,he actually had 2 mixes out of ten or eleven that were on beat.The winner should not only be chosen by music selection,but also technical abilities.If it was only music selection,hey,maybe rcrespo could compete next year.

Guest jona7

as for rocky & RC...

What room were u in? Rocky's Mixing was aweful,yes he had very good track selection but guess who picked out his tracks.Come on people dont kid yourself, we all know thats not his style,it was all pre-selected by people who know what works at Space.It was all buttered up for him,he just couldnt cook it right! His aweful mixing was disguised by horns & sirens,he actually had 2 mixes out of ten or eleven that were on beat.The winner should not only be chosen by music selection,but also technical abilities.If it was only music selection,hey,maybe rcrespo could compete next year.

I concur...

Guest pod

I'm here in my black helicopter enjoying the hell out of all this.

You people see a conspiracy in everything, and they place way too much importance on a friendly competition that in reality won't affect your lives at all. Whomever wins, "?" and jona7 will still wake up the next day, go to work, eat, drink, sleep, rinse and repeat. Why they care so much for people who did not enter is beyond me. Get a life already.

By the way, I shot JFK, Elvis is living here in my apartment and eating all my food, Princess Diana was assassinated by one of my people, Saddam is really just an actor I put in Iraq to give the US an excuse to invade, and the winner of each DJ competition until the year 2010 has been selected. We keep them in clone tanks underneath CJ HQ and decant them at the proper time.

Keep it up and I'll go 1984 on the lot of ya.

Guest bcnjunkie

I'm here in my black helicopter enjoying the hell out of all this.

You people see a conspiracy in everything, and they place way too much importance on a friendly competition that in reality won't affect your lives at all. Whomever wins, "?" and jona7 will still wake up the next day, go to work, eat, drink, sleep, rinse and repeat. Why they care so much for people who did not enter is beyond me. Get a life already.

By the way, I shot JFK, Elvis is living here in my apartment and eating all my food, Princess Diana was assassinated by one of my people, Saddam is really just an actor I put in Iraq to give the US an excuse to invade, and the winner of each DJ competition until the year 2010 has been selected. We keep them in clone tanks underneath CJ HQ and decant them at the proper time.

Keep it up and I'll go 1984 on the lot of ya.

;D

Guest muddoggy

as for rocky & RC...

Listen asswad, it was hard enough that these DJ's had to perform in front of such an intimidating venue, much less use equipment that was unfamiliar to some of them. If you are such a f**king expert, maybe you should have entered the contest and saved us all the trouble. Oh I forgot, that would be impossible since you don't have the gonads to say who you are.

Guest ramon

as for rocky & RC...

uh thanks i guess ... my mixing is nowhere up to par what would be need to compete but yeah i got more bombs than hiroshima .. who knows maybe next year? don't hold your breath.