Clubplanet Nightlife Community

My Hatred for Hip Hop

Guest cubanito44

Guest cubanito44

I just wanted to know if there's anyone else out there who's starting to hate hip hop as much as I am. I like listening to music that has meaning behind it and not just Lil Jon screaming YEA! in the background. Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of all music, but hip hop and rap now-a-days is crap. I remember the first time I heard those bass beats and brain boggling sounds that is EDM and all it's branches. I was completely blown away. There's nothing better than seeing a room full of people sharing the same space in pure bliss and harmony and not have a bad attitude when you accidently bump into them. We need a revolution people. I know everyone talks about it but we really need to do something. I'm thinking about it as I type, once i figure it out i'll let all of you know. But anyways I just wanted to know if anyone else despises hip hop and rap as much as I do.

I just wanted to know if there's anyone else out there who's starting to hate hip hop as much as I am. I like listening to music that has meaning behind it and not just Lil Jon screaming YEA! in the background. Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of all music, but hip hop and rap now-a-days is crap. I remember the first time I heard those bass beats and brain boggling sounds that is EDM and all it's branches. I was completely blown away. There's nothing better than seeing a room full of people sharing the same space in pure bliss and harmony and not have a bad attitude when you accidently bump into them. We need a revolution people. I know everyone talks about it but we really need to do something. I'm thinking about it as I type, once i figure it out i'll let all of you know. But anyways I just wanted to know if anyone else despises hip hop and rap as much as I do.

Hate is such a strong word.

Guest slamminshaun

I started to disown hip-hop once hip-hop started to disown dj's. DJ's were an important part of every hip-hop act, however, now, its almost impossible to name 3 groups with a visible and contributing dj. Alternative music has more love for dj's now....wtf?

I started to disown hip-hop once hip-hop started to disown dj's. DJ's were an important part of every hip-hop act, however, now, its almost impossible to name 3 groups with a visible and contributing dj. Alternative music has more love for dj's now....wtf?

Raping or MCing got started because the DJ would give the mic to his friend and he would say let these fools know how bad ass a DJ I am. So they would give shoot outs about the DJ and they took off from their.

Guest cubanito44

Yes the DJs make the music when it comes to EDM. The Dj is the one who sets the mood and has everyone on the same level. LOVE YOUR DJs people..Go out and support.

Yes the DJs make the music when it comes to EDM. The Dj is the one who sets the mood and has everyone on the same level. LOVE YOUR DJs people..Go out and support.

Yes but Djing started from hip hop. People always forget that.

Guest JMT

did you guys see Jay Z's boy peppered sprayed R Kelly, after R Kelly thought someone in the crowd was waving a gun...

too funny..

yep, lol. they cancelled the tour bc of that.

Guest slamminshaun

Turntablism started in Hip Hop....deejaying/mixing on 1200's can be traced back to the disco era. The point remains, hip-hop has evolved into a cookie cutter glamour whore. Lyrics are no longer important as much as how many pimp rides you can rent for your videos. Hip Hop is today version of the Big Hair Hard Rock in the 80's....all glitz and glamour, with no soul. I suspect its life span will be equal to that of its predecessor.

Guest kcariaga

Cubanito44,

I felt the same way Saturday night at Space. Way too much Hip Hop....I am sure that night I used to word "hate", too.

Guest LeVeL

Man I dont give a fuck...Hip Hop is not the way it used to be but I still get down at a club when they play some jamming shit over them speakers. Music is Music...some people like a certain sound of music some people dont. You cant please everyone out there. But Hip Hop is like Pop Music now..its so big that its considered Pop, which is a dam shame.

But I will disagree with you Haters and Tell you that I like Hip Hop...shit I like that Dirty South Crunk Hip Hop. Shiiiiiitttt once they play those jams over them speakers I get down in that dancefloor. I like all types of music...too much of one genre is too much.

Guest pussErox

Really? I was believing M&Ms. He said nobody listens to techno no more.

Guest slamminshaun

Mark my words. Greedy music executives will send Hip Hop to the same shallow grave that Glam Metal went to back in 1990. Look at all the similarities between them: Extreme popularity, cookie cutter sounds, girls, cars, money, stupid fashion, lyrical nonsense, overplay on MTV, and even mom and dad jumping on the bandwagon.....I mean, if we have learned from history, we know that you can't take rebellious music, put a pink bow on it, shine it up, and force-feed America with it forever. So what will the next big thing be?

Guest coach

I agree, I liked rap & hip hop way more when it actually meant something. It started as the music of the revolution and now it has been almost totally co-opted by the establishment that it was meant to fight, just like rock & roll. There is still some hip hop that I like: The Blackeyed Peas are good, for example, but they need to highlight their totally HOT chica more. Most of it is real fluff, though.

But the main problem is the wannabe gangstas that are the core fan base. I mean, if you are from the mean streets of Detroit, and you grew up spit poor with your mom on smack, then that is one thing. But if you are some suburban boy trying to be all fly, so you act like a total asshole, that is absurd. Of course, now it is so mainstream that even the vanilla yuppies of middle America play it in their clubs, which is almost worse.

Guest Seb

I could go on for pages about this topic but I will keep it short. First of all one of the main problems with hip hop is the lack of variety. Because of its pop appeal the music has been subjected to corporate America and its capitalizing machine. Taking the most shallow aspects and blowing them up. Starting with the beats. All the beats in today's Hip Hop are all created on synthesizers and drum machines. The tempo is always the same. Back in the day Hip Hop was all samples and had varying tempos and melodies. You could here a track with a Miles Davis horn loop combined with a bass line from a James Brown Classic. Music from all genres throughout history were combined in such a way that you could appreciate them all at one time. You could go from a Public Enemy track like "Bring tha Noise" and then here something like "Check the Rhyme" by A tribe called quest. Two completely different styles. You had hippy hip hoppers like De La Soul and Gansta rappers like NWA. You had jokester MC's like Biz Markie while having concious rappers like KRS one. Now addays its one format and one style. Bling Bling!! Thats all that Hip Hop is about anymore. It really is sad to see whats happened to Hip Hop. This music used to be all I listened and everything I wanted to be. Thats why its good that Electronic music has not been taken over by this country. In some ways it's a blessing. Its important for music to stay underground and maintain its roots. Lets hope that doesn't change. Overall I can't say I hate Hip Hop cause theres way too much history for me but I can understand why people have had enough.

:P :P

Guest pod

I think it is more of the "crowd" and attitude it brings that people are tired of. Not the good side of getting crunk and fucking bitches, but the bad side of thug life and fights.

Guest james stratus

Turntablism started in Hip Hop....deejaying/mixing on 1200's can be traced back to the disco era. The point remains, hip-hop has evolved into a cookie cutter glamour whore. Lyrics are no longer important as much as how many pimp rides you can rent for your videos. Hip Hop is today version of the Big Hair Hard Rock in the 80's....all glitz and glamour, with no soul. I suspect its life span will be equal to that of its predecessor.

You kind of got that backwards. The total art of Djing with beat mixing, juggling, cutting, and scratching goes back to the earliest of 70's NY house paties, long before disco got its dancing shoes. The disco dj's and early house guys definitley owe their skills to rap/hip hop. For themost part the Djs that were spinning Disco, Funk, and R&B in the earliest of NY and NJ "Disco" clubs were actually part of that Rap house party scene, and all the rest learned from them. You got to remember that there were nightclubs before Disco. ...

And Hip Hop does suck these days, and hasen't been remotely good since about 94.. if you want to get really technical... 91 IMHO.

Guest terence

::)relax boy, it is damn true rap is not wat it used to be, back in the days of public enemy, nwa, gangstarr, epmd, eric b, paris, n the one n only tupac shakur, but hate is a strong word, dont ya think so, nowaday everythin on the air is so rubbish, n lets not talk about this creepy Mtv, just like i've been a real fan of rap, i turn my back a bit to check the techno n progressive scene which is much more creative today than the rap scene, but lets not forget,t i have great repect for rap deejays, they are without any doubt da best technically......pop is the main thang now, eminem is surely a cool thug but he is not mic's prince as he thinks.....

according to me the real schit came when RNB was strugglin in the early nineties, n they catch the rap scene in order to be back on the top, sadly for the rap, ti looses his skillz n his anger, a rap without anger is nothing....

take care buddy

by the way i might come in miami in early december, i would be pleased if any folks outhere could let me know about the coolest place to chill out,

Guest tres-b

I think most people have a love/hate realtionship with hip-hop

Actually you can drop the love. It is hate only-the music, the crowd, the violence, the oversized throwback jerseys, the spinner rims, the whole lifestyle/culture.

Guest lyrik

With any music there is quality if you know where to look - Roots, Talib, Kanye, Jurrasic 5, Jean Grae, Mos Def and many more artists that are blurring the lines of underground dance, hip hop and originality...if you accept what gets played in heavy rotation on hot 105 and power as the only examples of the music then thats your fault - same as the people that accept every piece of garbage that gets played on party 93 as quality dance music.