Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Earliest dance music memories?

Guest Dizmus

Guest Dizmus

Hey guys....what first got you into electronic music? What were the first shows you saw that made you say "I love this music"? What areas of the country did you see your first shows, and what years? For me, it started in about 1997 at Twilo seeing Sasha and Digweed and going to raves in New York with high school buddies....the first album I purchased was by Prodigy

Guest slamminshaun

My first influences for dance music date back to Afrika Bambataa. But as far as modern EDM goes, I'd have to say Trance around 1998 sucked me in, although the first time I saw Infiniti play (not spin, play) live amazed me and sealed my fate forever. First CD that was "electronic" was the underground hit, Frosted Breaks....let's see how many people know that one.

Guest JMT

late 90s, college. started hitting up the local underground after hours club and saw djs like ak1200, willie mix, obi-1, with an occasional rabbit in the moon, josh wink, and icey visit...

first cd that helped it along was probably when a buddy of mine let me borrow Urbal Beats 1, as well as Prodigy and soundtracks from movies like Hackers and The Saint. Napster was alive and well and that helped fuel it from there.

Frankie Bones @ a rave in Brooklyn 1995. I was hooked ever since. He outro was a song that kept saying "The music gets faster" by a female voice. Naturally the beat kept getting faster. Well, it got so fast it was just like grabbing a record and spining it as fast as you can and then a big bassline(Boom!), all the lights went out , it got quiet, and then a voice, "FRANKIE BONES FROM THE BROOKLYN UNDERGROUND!"

:o It was great.

Guest slamminshaun

first cd that helped it along was probably when a buddy of mine let me borrow Urbal Beats 1

Was that the one with Chemical Brothers "Block Rockin' Beats" on it?

Guest JMT

first cd that helped it along was probably when a buddy of mine let me borrow Urbal Beats 1

Was that the one with Chemical Brothers "Block Rockin' Beats" on it?

you know it!

Hey guys....what first got you into electronic music? What were the first shows you saw that made you say "I love this music"? What areas of the country did you see your first shows, and what years? For me, it started in about 1997 at Twilo seeing Sasha and Digweed and going to raves in New York with high school buddies....the first album I purchased was by Prodigy

I went to twilo and Saw them as well it was sick :o.

1990 mixes by francois k on the depeche mode violator album they are still sick!! and historical back then.... and attending the club groovejet while the twisted records parties were the place to get your tribal back in 1994-1995 that was the pre-wmc... remember when the music was good tenaglia was just becoming a monster..... I love Miami ....

Guest durrtylexx

Early 90's when I first heard 808 state, and all the happy to be hardcore comp's..I've always had an eclectic taste in music.

Guest LeVeL

My earliest Dance music memories were listening to Donna Summer with my mom when I was a little kid. I kind of knew then that I loved Electronic Dance music. It went like this for me Disco to Techno to House to Freestyle to Hip Hop to Trance to House to Hardstyle :o

Guest web_norah

i was really into Louie de Vito razor guido tunes......

and also the epic trance of Oakenfold when it was cool to be into trance and say you went to Twilo but never really did.

and of course, the oldest and baddest Tiesto doing his remix and edit of Sandorm (Darude) for like 10 mins.

;D

Guest shannon_coolj.

I listened to Prodigy in high school...

but the real intro. to the scene was in Atlanta ('95) at an old meat packing plant (this was still in the days when you had to be lucky enough to hear about a party to go)...

Heather Heart and Frankie Bones...with a whole lotta people rolling.

;)

Guest LeVeL

and also the epic trance of Oakenfold when it was cool to be into trance and say you went to Twilo but never really did.

So you were into Trance only because it was cool to be into it....lol

So what kind of genre is it cool to be into now...Norah. Cause I want to be cool too :P

Guest JMT

So what kind of genre is it cool to be into now...Norah. Cause I want to be cool too :P

LOL

Guest web_norah

well to be baddest you gotta be into razor guido anthems...

to be cool, you gotta be into hip hop yo. cos thats where the dough is at and where all the homies drive nice cars and live in shacks.

Guest AlanS

Early 90's when I first heard 808 state, and all the happy to be hardcore comp's..I've always had an eclectic taste in music.

ex:el ??? ;D Love Bjork's vocals on that disc.

Guest Cosmigonon

Back in late 96 in Panama, they started having these electronic night at club Dreams. It was only punks, skaters and alternative kids that would go to, so I went and liked what I heard, music that I could actually dance and enjoy, besides, the reggae, salsa and merengue that was all you would hear at clubs, different from the so called "techno" that you would hear before that. Ever since I've been a fan...