Clubplanet Nightlife Community

A "what if " question...

V. Barbarino

Ok, I was speaking to a very sucessful club persona here in Florida.

Here's the argument:

2 Clubs, everything is exactly the same. The clubs are twins of each other, across the street from each other. All else being equal, which residency would do better in Miami whether that be sobe or maimi...

Morillo or Tiesto...

Remember, they will play every saturday night..

Which party, does better money wise, if both djs were paid exactly the same.

Only difference is cover, alcohol prices.

Which party is the most succesful???

Both parties are 21+

My answer:

I say tiesto out performs Morillo for 2 or 3 months, then Morillo takes over and the party goes on while the tiesto party burns out. And the tiesto party makes less money over the long haul, since trance does not attract vipers...

My assertion is tiesto is a great one off event guy, but week in and week out he'll loose his luster.

Guest Justin Johnson

I'd have to agree with you. Morillo has been making records and spinning since before Tiesto even stopped sucking his thumb. I'm not knockin' Tiesto, but I think Morillo would be successful in the long run, like you said.

Guest saintjohn
I say tiesto out performs Morillo for 2 or 3 months, then Morillo takes over and the party goes on while the tiesto party burns out.

so, hire tiesto initially, and re-invest the profits in whatever manner will do the most harm to your competition (i'll leave that to your imagination). then, hire morillo at a discounted price after the other club gets desperate and goes hip hop. use morillo for most of the weekly events, and make tiesto a "monthly resident."

My assertion is tiesto is a great one off event guy, but week in and week out he'll loose his luster.

isnt like that w/ every tiesto event...ask any hardcore tiesto fan if they're gonna go party the following week and 99% of them will say they r taking a month break from the club scene...now think how it would be if tiesto was in town every single weekend @ the same venue...maybe it would work for a month, but other than that...it would crash...esp in miami since its so house dominated. If u put him up in DC that would be another story.

Guest james stratus

A once a month residency for both at the same club 2 weeks a part would be best. The club would have 2 weekends a month that would blow out most other clubs. Either one on a weekly basis would ting their overall value in the local market. It's the old adage of "Too much of a good thing..."

Guest JustDade

Among the clubbers who actually go out for music, Trance still rules in this town...like it or not...Tiesto wins this one...unfortunately.

Guest dgrutman

i dont like tiesto but i have to tell you that he has reached way more ROCK STAR status then any other dj in the world. even oak at his peak was never as big as this guy. its one thing to be a big dj and its another to reach that kind of celebrity status and have the ability to fill an arena with in 3 days of it being released that he is djing there.

Guest LeVeL

Among the clubbers who actually go out for music, Trance still rules in this town...like it or not...Tiesto wins this one...unfortunately.

So true...you probably have house in every single venue but when good trance comes to town the crowds come with the event.

Morillo will get it's people but nothing will compare to a Tiesto Event. And the clubs know that too...

Any club in Miami would choose Tiesto over Morillo to perform at their club anytime. The VIP will be packed and they can charge as much as they want to enter. A club will make its money and much more with Tiesto performing there.

You may not like Trance and all that shit....but when good trance comes to town it will get its crowd and much much more.

Guest lyrik

Among the clubbers who actually go out for music' date=' Trance still rules in this town...like it or not...Tiesto wins this one...unfortunately.

[/quote']

So true...you probably have house in every single venue but when good trance comes to town the crowds come with the event.

Morillo will get it's people but nothing will compare to a Tiesto Event. And the clubs know that too...

Any club in Miami would choose Tiesto over Morillo to perform at their club anytime. The VIP will be packed and they can charge as much as they want to enter. A club will make its money and much more with Tiesto performing there.

You may not like Trance and all that shit....but when good trance comes to town it will get its crowd and much much more.

So what does good trance have to do with Tiesto? :P

Guest LeVeL

As I have said many times before...... FUCK TIESTO!!!!!

U can hate on the guy as much as you can...even not go to a Tiesto event for the rest of your life. Tiesto will still pack the clubs...Morillo is no competition.

Guest lyrik

As I have said many times before...... FUCK TIESTO!!!!!

U can hate on the guy as much as you can...even not go to a Tiesto event for the rest of your life. Tiesto will still pack the clubs...Morillo is no competition.

Quantity almost never equals quality...Britney sells out stadiums all over the world...so I guess she must be one the best female musicians right.

Guest lyrik

the beatles and elvis did too.

I believe those were much different times - you can't compare those people to Tiesto. That music is timeless and sold out stadiums without the advantage of occurring during the boom of the communication age and world wide web (thats impressive)...unfortunately much electronic music (not just trance or one genre in EDM) is not timeless...for the most part its too formulaic and disposable over much less of an amount of time.

I believe those were much different times - you can't compare those people to Tiesto. That music is timeless and sold out stadiums without the advantage of occurring during the boom of the communication age and world wide web (thats impressive)...unfortunately much electronic music (not just trance or one genre in EDM) is not timeless...for the most part its too formulaic and disposable over much less of an amount of time.

You could probably argue that with variety of acts available for people to see these days that anyone who can sell out big arenas now is bigger than back then when there wasn't as many "big names".

Being timeless has little to do with packing stadiums.

Guest LeVeL

Quantity almost never equals quality...Britney sells out stadiums all over the world...so I guess she must be one the best female musicians right.

But what you dont seem to understand is that we are talking about 2 musicians being booked into a club and who would outsell and outplay each other.

Its not about whos the best musician or what not not....come on.

Guest lyrik

Being timeless has little to do with packing stadiums.

You are exactly right - it should be based on talent, musicianship, production quality.

Alright please tell me what sets Tiesto apart from other musicians/acts/DJs...what is it about HIS production and Djing talent that warrants him to be the #1 DJ in the world (other than numbers in attendance). If you can honestly tell me that this guy is head and shoulders above ALL others when it comes to productions and PURE technical talent then I guess I am sooo wrong about him...but just because he has the ability to draw the biggest audience does not (in my opinion) justify him as this great talent.

Guest lyrik

But what you dont seem to understand is that we are talking about 2 musicians being booked into a club and who would outsell and outplay each other.

Its not about whos the best musician or what not not....come on.

Tiesto would get the initial big push for 3 months, but Morillo would last over time...and I am not saying that because I am more into house...here's my opinion on what would happen IF Tiesto took the weekly deal..

IfTiesto for some stupid reason did decide to take up a weekly residence and drastically cut back his touring schedule...who knows...but my theory would be that he would pack the place for a good solid 3 months and over the course of the year the numbers would decrease with each passing month showing smaller and smaller returns...I give this guy respect in that fact that he knows how to market himself and keep people wanting...but if he decided to take a year off and do something like this...he would be dropped from that high horse with the quickness...keeping himself on constant tour makes him more appealing (clever strategy - be elusive - keep em wanting more). If he stayed in one place - his exposure would drop, not as many write ups, publicity slows...and the next smarter person capitalizes on the same technique of pushing the most easily accessible and cross-demographic appealing music. As much as all the people on these boards talk about hip-hop and how it is ruining "the scene" the same comparison can be made about these types of DJs and their music - the youth dominates what is popular in music (TRL Nation) for the most part the youth eats up bubblegum pop and hip-hop...then you take our smaller part of the music pie and you can see the same thing or shit rising to the top - fluff - you have your Tiesto's and 6 or 7 or so other dutch master trance Djs and House is not excluded...I for one don't ride the Morillo band wagon - I think his Djing skills are just plain average and thank God he only uses the CDJs because if it were vinyl it would be worse.