Clubplanet Nightlife Community

KEY WEST....

so what's the deal here? I am heading down at the end of May. From out last discussion, everyone said the beach there sucks.

that's disappointing :-[

There really are no cool beaches to find on the key? No one lays out on the beach? Do people just sit by the pool in their hotels?

is 5 days too long to spend there? what do people really do when they are there? I'd probably stay with my bf at some sort of guesthouse, though I dont want to be somewhere where everyone is geared towards sex.

When I go on vacation to somewhere tropical, the beach is usually at the forefront of my activities...this is why I am concerned. What do you guys think? Is key west great, and if so, why?

Guest shannon_coolj.

I like the beaches in Key West. Have you ever been to New Orleans? Key West is like that city with a tropical feel.

Plus, the sunsets are absolutely gorgeous, the shops are cool and the restaurants are soooo good.

But that's my opinion. Who cares what others think though? Everyone should go to Key West and experience at least once.

:)

The keys are basically coral foundation. Some of the hotels have beaches but nothing spectacular. Bahia Honda is a beach state park in the key right before Big Pine Key heading South. Very Nice. Haven't been in a while though. There is also another beach in Sugar Loaf Key. These beaches are mostly to chill, get away from people and noise. In Key West, all you have to do is Drink, Drink, and Drink. 5 days might be too long for Key West if your not diving, traveling, fishing, etc...Remember one thing, look for the "Clothing Optional" signs... ;D

Have Fun!

Guest JMT

the beaches arent very good, but there are still a few around.

rent a couple scooters. watch the sunset. go to hemmingway's. snorkle. drink some tropical drinks and relax.

5 days might be long, but just pace yourselves.

i would kill myself if i went to key west for 5 days.

Have to admit though, i've seen the sun set all over the world, and key west ranks in very high on my list.. be sure to be down to mallory Square for all the sun-set festivities!!!

When i go, i do the duvall crawl... start at 11am at captain tony's.. end up at some strip joint till 5am... trashed.

;D

Guest LdySphynx

I've always wanted to go to the Bartender's Bash they have there in the begining of the month!!!

Someone told me they are supposed to have on this year here in South Beach anyone know anything about this???

Im going to come to to Miami for two nights and do key west for 3 nites....seems better to break it up...and most people say key west for 5 nites is mucho.

fly to miami, drive to key west then fly back from key west to new york.

im looking into hotels in miami now... :D May 24th and 25th in miami, 26rg-29 key west. sounds good to me 8)

Guest swirlundergrounder

so what's the deal here? I am heading down at the end of May. From out last discussion, everyone said the beach there sucks.

that's disappointing :-[

There really are no cool beaches to find on the key? No one lays out on the beach? Do people just sit by the pool in their hotels?

is 5 days too long to spend there? what do people really do when they are there? I'd probably stay with my bf at some sort of guesthouse, though I dont want to be somewhere where everyone is geared towards sex.

When I go on vacation to somewhere tropical, the beach is usually at the forefront of my activities...this is why I am concerned. What do you guys think? Is key west great, and if so, why?

Beaches suck in the Keys? No where to lay out on the beach?

61720419_l.jpg

Looks like I'm laying out on a beach in the Keys....Looks pretty to me......This is Bahia Honda State park..You'll pass it on the way down but don't miss it.....Find the warm whirl pool that you can sit in off the beach about 300 feet from the bridge....

im trying to decide when to drive down from miami....in the AM around 9 or in the pm around 3 or 4. I'd like to spend the day on south beach then leave for the keys from there around 3:30....but will the traffic be terrible at that time? ive driven on US 1 in the afternoon once 95 ends...it gets really slow, you think this will be the case? It will be on a Wednesday, what do you guys think is the best time to leave south beach?

Guest trancepriest

The beaches in Key West.. the last key... sucks.. they're all contaminated with algae or something. Now the upper keys maybe alright.

Guest pod

I'm the impatient sort. If I wanna see scenery I'll take a helicopter. Trust me, looking at palm trees and mangroves is all fine and dandy until you hit traffic.

If you must travel during daylight hours, I would advise leaving around 11:00 AM from the Miami area...you'll hit traffic around Homestead and where US-1 narrows to 1 lane each way, but on the bridges it shouldn't be too bad barring car accidents and the usual bullshit that makes driving around here so much fun.

Guest Diabolique

im trying to decide when to drive down from miami....in the AM around 9 or in the pm around 3 or 4. I'd like to spend the day on south beach then leave for the keys from there around 3:30....but will the traffic be terrible at that time? ive driven on US 1 in the afternoon once 95 ends...it gets really slow, you think this will be the case? It will be on a Wednesday, what do you guys think is the best time to leave south beach?

anytime after 7 pm or before 2:30pm. our rush hour starts around 3-3:30. I recommend taking the turnpike, because US 1 is so slow, but you'll hit traffic going west too if you leave in the afternoon. Besides, if you can get to the unbuilt part by sundown you'll be treated to a nice sunset drive part of the way.

I would recommend eating n Sobe before you leave,otherwise it's all taco bells and 7-11s til you get to civilization.

islamorada (1/3 of the way down) has some decent resturants, Islamorada fish company (around mm 81), Pelican Cove Resort restaurant to name a few. Don't forget to stop at the tiki bar for a refreshment. It's tradition. ;D

Not much to do in the Keys but relax, see little historical spots, & marinate in booze. Might want to consider 3 nights in Miami, and two in key West. I get bored of kew west in about a day and a half--or less..

Guest swirlundergrounder

anytime after 7 pm or before 2:30pm. our rush hour starts around 3-3:30. I recommend taking the turnpike, because US 1 is so slow, but you'll hit traffic going west too if you leave in the afternoon. Besides, if you can get to the unbuilt part by sundown you'll be treated to a nice sunset drive part of the way.

I would recommend eating n Sobe before you leave,otherwise it's all taco bells and 7-11s til you get to civilization.

islamorada (1/3 of the way down) has some decent resturants, Islamorada fish company (around mm 81), Pelican Cove Resort restaurant to name a few. Don't forget to stop at the tiki bar for a refreshment. It's tradition. ;D

Not much to do in the Keys but relax, see little historical spots, & marinate in booze. Might want to consider 3 nights in Miami, and two in key West. I get bored of kew west in about a day and a half--or less..

That resturaunt you mentioned in Islamorada is really good. The Fish Company one. ALso the cat show in Key West by the pirate ship with the cats jumping through hoops of fire and walking on high wires is the bomb.....A must see for all cat lovers....

Guest Diabolique

You know what I love about the Keys...everything is set with a mile marker, and you can't get lost (tho be careful in Key west, one wrong turn and you're in a dubious neighborhood). You know how far you went, and how far you have to go. One road in, one road out.

awwww yeah! ;D