Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Student sues, left off volleyball team/ Discuss

Student sues, left off volleyball team

DENVER (AP) -- A female senior at Grand Junction High School who can't play volleyball because she didn't make the varsity team filed a lawsuit Monday alleging the school treats girls differently than boys.

Unlike boys who play football, girls don't have the option of playing on the junior varsity volleyball team if they fail to make the varsity team, according to the lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court.

Jessica Wieker's lawsuit alleges Mesa County Valley School District No. 51 discriminates against girls, which is a violation of a federal law known as Title IX that guarantees equal gender access to public education.

An after-hours phone message left at an answering service for the district was not immediately returned. Wieker's attorney, Michael Grattan III, also did not return an after-hours phone message.

Wieker also alleges the school treats girls differently by not offering as many opportunities for sports for girls and provided buses with onboard bathrooms for the football team, while the girls' volleyball team travels to games on district-owned vans driven by coaches.

Guest DaGoose

There was never a bathroom on our friggin bus for football games. I'm gonna have to have a talk with the athletic director from my high school!

Guest slamminshaun

And to think the liberals tried to fight tort reform. Perfect example of why its needed.....good job Saleen.

Guest DaGoose

There was never a bathroom on our friggin bus for football games. I'm gonna have to have a talk with the athletic director from my high school!

Ha ha... You are lucky he didn't toss you out of school ;D

Come on now--I wasn't THAT bad! Now Tom is a different story..........

Guest DrFired

what's the purpose of this, do we really want to know wtf is going on Colorado? LOL