Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Ear Plugs in clubs...

CrzyC1414779017

Ok, so this weekend I left the house without my earplugs by accident and was really regretting it at Space on Saturday night. So my question is...

Do the clubs sell earplugs?

Space? Nocturnal? Crobar? Amika? Blue?

I know I can get an esspresso at Space...what about protection for my ears? Just wondering.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ramon

Ok, so this weekend I left the house without my earplugs by accident and was really regretting it at Space on Saturday night. So my question is...

I know I can get an esspresso at Space...what about protection for my ears? Just wondering.

wtf!? expresso at space? since when? ive been asking for that since the old patio .. which i brought with me when i was going for a long marathon .. :)

expresso and a tostada!

Guest ramon

Ramon, dont tell me you had no idea about the little store Space has right when u go into the club ..

you can get t-shirts, cds, cigarettes and bunch of other stuff and of course expresso coffee

maybe other clubs could implement something like this ?

i knew about the t-shirts , cds , but i had no idea of the expresso!

Guest saintjohn

They should, but I don't know of any that do. Either there's not enough interest from typical clubbers, or the owners don't want to admit that their industrial-strength sound systems might actually exceed OSHA noise standards. Permanent hearing damage? Liability? Huh?

Guest JMT

They should, but I don't know of any that do. Either there's not enough interest from typical clubbers, or the owners don't want to admit that their industrial-strength sound systems might actually exceed OSHA noise standards. Permanent hearing damage? Liability? Huh?

interesting point.

does anyone happen to know what the avg decibel level at these big clubs might be?

Guest klubveteran

just dont forget them and you dont have to worry if they sell them or not :P

Guest Inán

you can get t-shirts, cds, cigarettes and bunch of other stuff and of course expresso coffee

I thought this was a fantastic idea when I saw it.... a big ol espresso + a Coke, mmmmmmmmm :o ;D :o

Guest mikepayne

Ok, so this weekend I left the house without my earplugs by accident and was really regretting it at Space on Saturday night.

You wear earplugs? :o

I'm a bit confused here. I could see wearing earplugs if you worked in the club, and you were going to be there every single night subjecting yourself to that sound, but don't you go out to the club with the intention of hearing the music played loud, on an expensive sound system? It seems like it defeats the purpose of going to the club if you're going to wear earplugs. I mean... at that point you might as well be at a house party with ramon's laptop. ;D

Guest mikepayne

that ringing in your ears after you leave space is hearing damage.

I don't recall ever having had a ringing in my ears when I leave Space, or any other club for that matter.

The only time I've ever consciously noted that it was too loud was one time when I was a little too drunk to be thinking about it and I mistakenly walked too close right in front of the bigass speaker on the floor in the main room by the DJ booth (looking out from the booth, closest one on the floor on the right hand side, by the bar). My ear must have passed like 6-12 inches in front of the speaker pointed right at it, I felt like someone had stabbed me in the ear with an icepick, it must have hurt for about 10 minutes or so... but that's only one time in the multitude of times I've been there.

In any case... just seems to me that it defeats the purpose to go out and listen to a multi-million dollar sound system with earplugs in.

Guest Devilicious

After our conversation last night, I will be testing them out. Apparently not only do earplugs lessen the risk of hearing damage, they also make it easier to have conversations. I'm eager to test out the difference when just listening to the music.

I may not be in a club every night, but when I think about how many hours a month...year...lifetime.... I spend in a very loud club (eek that's scary for several reasons...) I tend to think it's better to be safe than sorry. My grandparents can't hear jack and they never went to Space; imagine what could happen to us!

Guest mikepayne

...they also make it easier to have conversations...

If you press your finger against the little flap of cartilage on the outside of your ear hole until it forms a seal while someone is talking to you it works just as well, and you don't have to have a big piece of foam sticking out of your ear. :P

Guest Devilicious

If you press your finger against the little flap of cartilage on the outside of your ear hole until it forms a seal while someone is talking to you it works just as well, and you don't have to have a big piece of foam sticking out of your ear. :P

I never knew you were so image conscious! :D

Guest mikepayne

I never knew you were so image conscious! :D

I was speaking more from a comfort perspective (shit in my ears bothers me, those earbud headphones for example)... but yeah, that too I guess. :P

Guest soozin

I wear earplugs a lot at clubs, so do a lot of my friends. the massive sound systems are great but EVERY time i leave w/ the club if i dont wear plugs, i ring until the next day.. you can still appreciate the good sound w/ a little buffering. in fact i feel sometimes like i hear it better w/ a little protection.. sometimes when its really loud all i hear is bass, and the shit hurts.. i guess everyone's ears are different...

Guest durrtylexx

Ramon, dont tell me you had no idea about the little store Space has right when u go into the club ..

maybe other clubs could implement something like this ?

i knew about the t-shirts , cds , but i had no idea of the expresso!

nor did I. lol.

Guest LeVeL

I have never had a problem with my hearing to this date and I can imagine it being a bitch to have your ears ringing the day after.

My only advice is to please don’t stand next to the Massive Speakers in a club because obviously your ears are receiving all the sound coming out of it. So the longer you stand next to it, the more damage it receives its common sense people.

I personally think earplugs take a lot away from the clubbing experience.

Guest tranzwhore

RNID - the UK's largest charity representing nine million deaf and hard of hearing people - found that of the two thirds (66%) of young people who regularly go clubbing, three quarters of them regularly experience ringing in their ears and / or dullness of hearing after a night out - a warning sign of hearing damage.

The research also shows that whilst almost half of young people (46%) know that the ringing in their ears after a night out is a sign of damage, many (59%) aren't aware this damage is irreversible.

"Social noise exposure has tripled since the early 1980s in the UK meaning that it is now even more important for people to take steps to look after their hearing. Prevention is always better than cure, especially in this case as there is no remedy for hearing damage. "We need to get to a stage where remembering to take your ear plugs out with you on a big night out is as common-place as remembering safe sex protection.

Guest JMT
My grandparents can't hear jack and they never went to Space; imagine what could happen to us!

exactly. ive thought about that same thing myself.

Guest web_norah

so if people have the ability to rely on the "liability" issue with their ears, can i complain about second hand smoke too? (in the case of South Fl since NYC has a non-smoking law inside clubs and bars).

i think it is ludicrous, if you are able to claim that you damaged your ears from going to a club....plan ahead like Carisa mentioned. that's all you can do as well as understand the risk of standing next to a huge speaker every weekend.