Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Ear Plugs in clubs...

CrzyC1414779017

Guest vegasguy25

Ok, so this weekend I left the house without my earplugs by accident and was really regretting it at Space on Saturday night.

You wear earplugs? :o

I'm a bit confused here. I could see wearing earplugs if you worked in the club, and you were going to be there every single night subjecting yourself to that sound, but don't you go out to the club with the intention of hearing the music played loud, on an expensive sound system? It seems like it defeats the purpose of going to the club if you're going to wear earplugs. I mean... at that point you might as well be at a house party with ramon's laptop. ;D

Oh man, you have got to be kidding. Do you think that if you wear earplugs, you will not be able to hear the sound system? If you're even the least bit concerned about long term hearing damage, you will get ahold of some earplugs. You can still hear the music just fine, and if you get the right ones, you can actually hear it better.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest saintjohn

I've got tinnitus, and it sucks.

My tinnitus is not club-induced. My exposure to things that go boom (not bass bins) early in life contributed to my current condition (although playing in a series of punk bands didn't exactly help, either). Fortunately, I realized what was happening before it got really bad, and now I keep earplugs in the glove compartment so they'll be handy whenever I want to go out.

Still, whenever i'm in a really quiet environment (which isn't that often, actually), the ringing can be pretty obnoxious. I had a baseline hearing test once upon a time as part of a military flight physical - it'd be interesting (or maybe frightening) to compare it with a current test. As far as I can tell, my tinnitus hasn't gotten any worse since I started wearing earplugs (which was over a decade ago), so I fully expect to enjoy many more years of clubbing without going deaf.

Earplugs have become part of my clubbing experience, but I can understand why some people prefer not to wear them (Pete Townsend of the Who, for example, refuses to wear hearing protection, and his doctor has apparently suggested that he learn to lip-read). I prefer earplugs to further hearing damage.

When I interviewed Tony Andrews, the guy who designs Funktion-One loudpseakers, he told me that typical speaker systems are inherently hazardous due to driver-induced distortion, especially in the mid-range frequencies. He insists that "patrons should not be going home with their ears ringing." It's reassuring to know that at least someone in the industry is paying attention.

FYI:

weakest sound heard 0 dB

normal conversation at 3-5 ft 60-70 dB

dial tone of telephone 80 dB

city traffic inside car 85 dB

1983 OSHA monitoring requirements begin 90 dB

train whistle at 500 ft. 90 dB

subway train at 200 ft. 95 dB

sustained exposure may cause permanent damage 90-95 dB

power mower 107 dB

power saw 110 dB

pain begins 125 dB

pneumatic riveter at 4 ft. 125 dB

jet engine at 100 ft. 140 dB

loudest sound that can occur 194 dB

http://www.hearnet.com/at_risk/risk_trivia.shtml

Guest web_norah

that sucks John

but i know plenty of DJs who've had bleeding ears to back problems, from playing at clubs. the only answer is to prepare and take care of your ears by wearing earplugs..........

Guest saintjohn
i think it is ludicrous, if you are able to claim that you damaged your ears from going to a club....plan ahead like Carisa mentioned.

I agree completely. We're all responsible for our own actions, but that hasn't stopped people from filing stupid lawsuits. The Black Crowes and the Smashing Pumpkins have both been sued by people who claim to have suffered hearing damage at their concerts.

Edited to add:

After a cursory Google search, it seems that Creedence Clearwater Revival, John Fogerty, Aerosmith, and even Barry Manilow have also been targeted by such lawsuits.

Guest ic143

These are the pair that I own and they only cost $12 bucks!!!

er20-top.jpg

Low cost

Ready-fit

Replicates the ear's natural response

Sound quality is preserved

Speech is clear, not muffled

Reduces sound approximately 20 dB at all frequencies

They are a great set of ear plugs and the sound is excellent. They're not uncomfortable at all to wear either. Check out the site if you're interested...http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.asp

Guest Devilicious

er20-top.jpg

Low cost

Ready-fit

They are a great set of ear plugs and the sound is excellent. They're not uncomfortable at all to wear either. Check out the site if you're interested...http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.asp

Thank you for that! I actually think they're kinda cute too, lol

Guest KellyKel

er20-top.jpg

Low cost

Ready-fit

Thank you for that! I actually think they're kinda cute too, lol

Yes!!! Thanks Irene!! These are awesome...I will be getting a pair..

Guest mikepayne

Oh man, you have got to be kidding. Do you think that if you wear earplugs, you will not be able to hear the sound system?

Of course you'll be able to hear it to some extent, but it's not the same. Why pay to go out and listen to high quality sound at a high volume, and then muffle and mute the sound? I've had earplugs in before, the sound coming through them sounds nothing like what it does when you have an open ear canal. It doesn't just lower the level, it sounds like I'm listening to music being played in the next room, and I can do that myself at home (and with no cover charge, even!).

You can still hear the music just fine, and if you get the right ones, you can actually hear it better.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. If you can provide a scientific explanation as to how putting something in your ear that blocks sound waves (or at least absorbs part of their energy) from hitting your eardrum allows you to hear *anything* better, I'd love to see it.

Guest Cosmigonon

Ok, so this weekend I left the house without my earplugs by accident and was really regretting it at Space on Saturday night.

You wear earplugs? :o

I'm a bit confused here. I could see wearing earplugs if you worked in the club, and you were going to be there every single night subjecting yourself to that sound, but don't you go out to the club with the intention of hearing the music played loud, on an expensive sound system? It seems like it defeats the purpose of going to the club if you're going to wear earplugs. I mean... at that point you might as well be at a house party with ramon's laptop. ;D

I agree. Unless you go clubbing friday/sunday every weekend, or work at a club, I see no reason to be worried.

I've never ever experienced any ringing in my ears after leaving a club or after attendina concert, maybe there is some damage, but I think our livers and everything else get more damage from a regular night of clubbing, than our ears. Losing hearing is the least of my worries when I go to a club, but hey, that's just me... :P

Guest JMT

our generation will be the lab rat when it comes to hearing loss from clubs. like Talmage said, some old people who never even went inside of a club cant hear shit. any noise above a certain db level will cause hearing damage, regardless of if a person hears ringing or not afterward. you ears are absorbing every noise even if you ignore them.

Guest coach

I have to agree with MDP. Why should a club spend a half mill on a massive sound system if people are going to wear plugs?

I, too, have tinnitus, and it is not sound induced at all. I've had it since I was way too young to go to nightclubs. Since I've been going regularly, I have noticed no worsening. But others may have different experiences. I also have very acute hearing and have noticed no lessening over the years of clubbing.

But if plugs work for you, go for it. But maybe we could just get the clubs to spend less on sound and more on customer service.

Guest tres-b

What about the disco generation? ;D

They struggled with sinus issues and breakdown of the septum.

Bump it up...and dance 8)

Guest JMT

we also grew up with walkmans. someone who was there in the disco age would have to say if the clubs were as loud back then but im thinking they werent.

does having a better sound system have to mean a louder sound system?

ive always been one who likes to "feel" the loud music but not so sure anymore after reading up on this lately.

the effects of hearing damage can take a long time to show up.

Guest tres-b

Speaking of feeling, one of the interesting things about sound is that some of the frequencies produced by a record are out of human hearing range. However, you still feel those frequencies. This is one of the issues with MP3s. They cannot produce these frequencies so listening on headphones sound fine but when you crank them up on a club system they come up way short.

Guest vegasguy25

er20-top.jpg

Low cost

Ready-fit

I have those. I would venture to say they are by far the best earplugs in that price range. Wore 'em every day at WMC.

Guest soberobyn

Ok, so this weekend I left the house without my earplugs by accident and was really regretting it at Space on Saturday night. So my question is...

Do the clubs sell earplugs?

Space? Nocturnal? Crobar? Amika? Blue?

I know I can get an esspresso at Space...what about protection for my ears? Just wondering.

C - yes, earplugs are a must! I know this sounds silly, but I just use napkins. Every club has them, they are free and they are disposable. I have stacks of earplugs at home, but i have to carry them around, i don't want to re-wear them, they cost $$ and why bother.....

so that's my feedback for ya. :P

Oh man, you have got to be kidding. Do you think that if you wear earplugs, you will not be able to hear the sound system?

Of course you'll be able to hear it to some extent, but it's not the same. Why pay to go out and listen to high quality sound at a high volume, and then muffle and mute the sound? I've had earplugs in before, the sound coming through them sounds nothing like what it does when you have an open ear canal. It doesn't just lower the level, it sounds like I'm listening to music being played in the next room, and I can do that myself at home (and with no cover charge, even!).

You can still hear the music just fine, and if you get the right ones, you can actually hear it better.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. If you can provide a scientific explanation as to how putting something in your ear that blocks sound waves (or at least absorbs part of their energy) from hitting your eardrum allows you to hear *anything* better, I'd love to see it.

Mike and Josh, I hate to see it but you sound extremely ignorant in this thread. If you choose not to wear earplugs, thats fine, but dont come signing to me when you cant hear anymore. LOL! :P

I have a great pair of earplugs that I got from a friend and they look very similiar to the ones that Irene posted. There are times when Im in a club and my ears hurt while Im still there...take this weekend at Space for example. I HAD to go to the patio becuse the music in the main room was physically hurting my ears. When you wear GOOD earplugs the sound isnt completely muffled at all, it does take out the high pitched noise that can do some SERIOUS damage in a short amount of time.

Once again, I urge anyone who hasnt seen "Its All Gone Pete Tong" to so see it and imagine yourself in the main characters place and going deaf. I dont think any of you want to lose your hearing.

Guest General

Hi carisa 8) This is all great FYI, I actually thought about wearing some next time just to try it out, however, what about the sound system in your car? Is there perhaps a special place to take cars and have them tested? Just to find out if theres any damage being created.... and system that has been upgreaded rather then factory stock.

If you hear of any place let me know, thanks ;D

Hi carisa 8) This is all great FYI, I actually thought about wearing some next time just to try it out, however, what about the sound system in your car? Is there perhaps a special place to take cars and have them tested? Just to find out if theres any damage being created.... and system that has been upgreaded rather then factory stock.

If you hear of any place let me know, thanks ;D

Hey you! I really have no idea about cars but that is a very good question. Luckily for me I still have the factory speakers and it doesnt rock out that much without some serious vibrations going on...right Pod. :P

Guest pod

Well, the best pair are custom fitted by an audiologist.

That being said, I don't use them. I tend to stay out of the direct line of fire of most speakers for extended periods of time. Also, it is the high frequencies that damage your hearing, not the lows. A decently tuned system will have that in mind. Which is why you hear me bitch about "speaker on a stick" sound systems that most clubs aside from the Big Six in town tend to have.

Guest Cosmigonon

Mike and Josh, I hate to see it but you sound extremely ignorant in this thread. If you choose not to wear earplugs, thats fine, but dont come signing to me when you cant hear anymore. LOL! :P

I have a great pair of earplugs that I got from a friend and they look very similiar to the ones that Irene posted. There are times when Im in a club and my ears hurt while Im still there...take this weekend at Space for example. I HAD to go to the patio becuse the music in the main room was physically hurting my ears. When you wear GOOD earplugs the sound isnt completely muffled at all, it does take out the high pitched noise that can do some SERIOUS damage in a short amount of time.

Once again, I urge anyone who hasnt seen "Its All Gone Pete Tong" to so see it and imagine yourself in the main characters place and going deaf. I dont think any of you want to lose your hearing.

Please Carisa, you sound like you just saw "The Nostradamus Prophecies" on the history channel and you're scared the world is gonna end tomorrow... ::)