Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Well done Lance!

Guest Ar

Guest Ar

7th tour de france victory. its amazing what this man has done in his life. a true champion.

mms://dayport.wmod.llnwd.net/fc/a258/e1/v1/0040/07300020050724_042552p0042748p6.wmv

Guest JMT

simply one of the greatest, if not thee greatest athletic achievement you will see in your lifetime.

congrats to the man.

t1_0724_lance.arc_ap.jpg

Guest mjm420

the man has overcome many obstacles mainly his fight with cancer.. to then win 7 straight titles back to back to back...

major accomplishment....

CONGRATS LANCE!!!!

wait till you see how bad the ratings are and how many corporate sponsors next year pull out.... gonna be a money drain next year because he won't be there...

as for the greatest acheivment of our life times, I'll leave that up to mr tom brady and mr micheal jordan and mr tiger woods....

Guest JMT
as for the greatest acheivment of our life times, I'll leave that up to mr tom brady and mr micheal jordan and mr tiger woods....

ever heard of joe montana, bill russell, jack nicholas? (otto graham won 7 nfl titles.) im not even a cycling fan, but team sports cant even compare to this.

and golf? you might as well mention earl anthony (the bowler) and richard petty in that group if you are going to include golf.

Guest swirlundergrounder

This is a great accomplishment. His comeback from cancer is truly amazing and inspirational. But Lance does have a genetic advantage over 99.9% of the worlds population. That is his heart is almost twice the size of a normal human beings heart. Therefore he can pump 9 gallons of blood per minute through his body. The average person can pump 5 gallons of blood through their system in one minute. As a result his lungs and muscles recieve more oxygen from his higher red blood cell count, twice as much more oxygen per minute than a 20 year old athlete at peak health... \

None the less the 7 tour wins in a row will stand for a very-very long time...

Guest mursa

...there are some rumors that his cancer treatment meds give him an advantage over others ...

..i don't discount this ........it's just very strange how someone who was a "bench" type cyclist (nothing special) before his cancer becoming a 7 time tour de france champion .

think about it.....over 200 cyclist train year round for such a competition , all great athletes , all amazing strengh ...how can someone overcome them all 7 years straight ...

im sckeptical by nature i guess .

Guest JMT

yep, he doesnt fatigue nearly as quick.

actually, his heart is a little under 1/3 larger than a regular adult. at rest it beats about 32 times a minute, which is incredible slow, and can go up to 200 beats a minute.

he is a 1 in a billion human.

Guest mursa

actually, his heart is a little under 1/3 larger than a regular adult. at rest it beats about 32 times a minute, which is incredible slow, and can go up to 200 beats a minute.

..thats true , but whats also true is that those 200 cyclist also have larger hearts than normal...as they are all exceptional athletes ...people with great cardiovascular fitness ujsually have larger hearts than normal agults.

..what im basicly saying is that ALL are essentially in the same physical shape ...anatomically and physiologically .

Guest mursa

...there are some rumors that his cancer treatment meds give him an advantage over others ...

..i don't discount this ........it's just very strange how someone who was a "bench" type cyclist (nothing special) before his cancer becoming a 7 time tour de france champion .

think about it.....over 200 cyclist train year round for such a competition , all great athletes , all amazing strengh ...how can someone overcome them all 7 years straight ...

he won a world championship in 1993. he was the top ranked cyclist in the US when he got cancer in 1996 at age 24. i dont see how thats "nothing special".

what where his standings in the tour de france ..pre cancer ? ..

i actually remember him when he ran the Tour of Portugal sometime in 95-96 ...and he was a middle of the pack racer .

Guest JMT

he was the US amateur champ in 1991, and won a world championship in 1993. he was the top ranked cyclist in the US when he was diagnosed with cancer in 1996 at age 24. that doesnt seem like nothing special.

what cancer meds can help people become better athletes years later? certainly not chemo. even he admits that cancer helped him bc he basically rebuilt his body from scratch, and became stonger mentally.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1122051794849_117460994

WTF?

He was the Junior (U18) National Triathong Champion in his teenage years, and then swtiched to just cycleing in HS, and was on the Olympic team very early on. Endurance sports take years of training and development that build the body up, it is not as easy as a team sport like football and baseball.

I have done all these sports, and I can attest to it.

Yes he has great genetics, but you have to train and work heard to put those gifts to work. He is on his bike 6- 8 hours a day.

ill put Jordan in that category, but give me a brake about Brady.

Lance is in another leauge when it comes to training and winning and total domination of a sport.

As far as Cancer helping him out with cycling. He has even said it himself, without Cancer he would not be the cyclist he is today. He lost so much weight and muscle it transformed his body. And if you was given drugs to help him with cancer, it was to save his life and not to help him win the Tour de France. He didn't even know if he was goign to live.

Most of you don't know this, but I had the same type of cancer Lance had, and I was 19 years old at the time, and thnakfully mine didn't progress as bad as his. All the drugs pumped into our bodies do crazy things.

This is all from personal experiences since I was a triathlete, runner, cyclist, and beat cancer also. But you don't see me in the Tour de France, so his training and a genetic gift , got him there.

thats my rant for the week

Guest JMT

he won a world championship in 1993. he was the top ranked cyclist in the US when he got cancer in 1996 at age 24. i dont see how thats "nothing special".

what where his standings in the tour de france ..pre cancer ? ..

i actually remember him when he ran the Tour of Portugal sometime in 95-96 ...and he was a middle of the pack racer .

ridiculous. athletes dont reach their peak at age 23.

Indurain didnt win until he was 27-28.

Guest swirlundergrounder

but give me a brake about Brady.

I know.. How can you even mention Tom Brady in the same breath as Lance Armstrong..LOL

Guest tres-b

Lance was one of the top jr. triathletes in the US. He won a mtn stage at the tour BEFORE cancer. I dont believe he would have won the tour w/o cancer for a variety of reasons. The first is attitude. Cancer changed Lance. Second, cancer caused him to lose a good bit of weight that he never got back. He was too heavy to be a serious contender.

I think Tom Brady is a fantastic QB, but what he has done isnt even in the same ballpark as Lance.

As Tiger Woods said, throw out that cancer and just look at the accomplishments. They stand alone. When you add in the fact that Lance was given a 40% chance of survival, the accomplishments become legend.

Guest mursa

Lance was one of the top jr. triathletes in the US. He won a mtn stage at the tour BEFORE cancer. I dont believe he would have won the tour w/o cancer for a variety of reasons. The first is attitude. Cancer changed Lance. Second, cancer caused him to lose a good bit of weight that he never got back. He was too heavy to be a serious contender.

I think Tom Brady is a fantastic QB, but what he has done isnt even in the same ballpark as Lance.

As Tiger Woods said, throw out that cancer and just look at the accomplishments. They stand alone. When you add in the fact that Lance was given a 40% chance of survival, the accomplishments become legend.

Attitude ? ... :-\ come on man , your trying to say that the other cyclist didnt want to win just as bad ?

unlike Lance who is a multi millionaire , those cyclist have the extra incentive to win as im pretty sure that maybe 1 of lances sponsers is equivalent to what another top cyclist wins in 1 years salary .

..all this talk about Lance seeing the "light in the end of the tunnel " and had a apiphany due to defeating cancer for me is more Media Hype than anything else .

Guest Damon7278

Lance is a tru pioneer and a tru to the sport, some of u in here should take after him, maybe u will learn something

Guest tres-b

Attitude ? ... :-\ come on man , your trying to say that the other cyclist didnt want to win just as bad ?

unlike Lance who is a multi millionaire , those cyclist have the extra incentive to win as im pretty sure that maybe 1 of lances sponsers is equivalent to what another top cyclist wins in 1 years salary .

..all this talk about Lance seeing the "light in the end of the tunnel " and had a apiphany due to defeating cancer for me is more Media Hype than anything else .

Im not trying to say that the other cyclists dont want to win but they dont have the singular focus that Lance developed. Im saying not only did Lance want to win, but he devoted himself completely to this goal. He got serious about his cycling and began embracing the training and prep work far more than he did pre-cancer. This is the attitude that I am talking about.

Jan Ulrich is very gifted but never had the drive and focus that Lance has inside.

When you are more talented than nearly every rider in the field and you work harder, you win.

Guest mursa

Im not trying to say that the other cyclists dont want to win but they dont have the singular focus that Lance developed. Im saying not only did Lance want to win, but he devoted himself completely to this goal. He got serious about his cycling and began embracing the training and prep work far more than he did pre-cancer. This is the attitude that I am talking about.

Jan Ulrich is very gifted but never had the drive and focus that Lance has inside.

When you are more talented than nearly every rider in the field and you work harder, you win.

drive ? focus ?

this looks like a diologue from a Gatorade commercial ... is it in you ? lol ..

...if he did everything clean , then yea its a major feat and he gets major props ...

..but what will happen if he in the future he is convicted of using and having illegal advantages over others ? ..there is a cloud of suspicion at the present time

im just leaving my options open .

Guest tres-b

Drive and Focus are the things that get me out of bed every morning and to the gym by 6. So yeah, its in me. lol ;D

Why is there a cloud?

Lance Armstrong is the most tested athlete in the history of sports. He has NEVER tested positive for any banned substance.

The reason you see a cloud is because you buy into the bs the french press push. They just cant swallow the fact that someone is just that good.

As I said, when you have more talent than nearly every other athlete in your sport and you work harder than all your rivals, you win. Period.

Guest JMT

its been 7 years and they havent found shit. they refuse to accept he owns their precious little race. no one could hide it for that long.

from Lance's final statements to the french yesterday...

"For the people who don't believe in cycling -- the cynics, the skeptics -- I'm sorry for you," he said. "I'm sorry you can't dream big, and I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles. But this is one heck of a race, this is a great sporting event, and you should stand around and believe. There are no secrets. Hard work wins it."

translation: "blow me."

Guest tres-b

its been 7 years and they havent found shit. they refuse to accept he owns their precious little race. no one could hid it for that long.

from Lance's final statements to the french yesterday...

"For the people who don't believe in cycling -- the cynics, the skeptics -- I'm sorry for you," he said. "I'm sorry you can't dream big, and I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles. But this is one heck of a race, this is a great sporting event, and you should stand around and believe. There are no secrets. Hard work wins it."

translation: "blow me."

Good translation. Thats what I got out of it as well.

Lance is the first rider ever to speak on the podium in Paris.

Guest Ar

i admire him also cause he gives props to his team-mates at Discovery and US Postal in previous years. They have had the best team in cycling for a long time. Cycling is actually a team sport, no individual would ever win it without the hard work of team-mates...... Lance has had that advantage for a few years now, due to huge sponserships, US Postal and Discovery could always get a strong lineup for the tour..

another thing i would mention is that he hardly raced besides the Tour.. So he spent 10 months out of the year training and not riding any other races... which his main rivals Ullrich, Basso, Botero, Leipheimer Vinokorov did do.. The belgian Axel Merxz is still by far the best rider in History... But lance is up there.........