Clubplanet Nightlife Community

METROPOLIS @ The Miami Herald !!

Guest PeMaN

Guest PeMaN

THE MIAMI HERALD (www.themiamiherald.com)

Bigger than a breadbox? You betcha

BY LESLEY ABRAVANEL

lank@aol.com

Something massive is about to open in downtown Miami and it's not a condo. It's Metropolis Downtown, the gargantuan, 55,000-plus-square-foot club at 950 NE Second Ave. We took a tour of the place -- it's unbelievable. It will be open Thursday through Saturday, 24 hours or, according to the club's creator and marketing director Mandy Fernandez, ''whenever the party's over.'' There are five clubs within the space -- Prophecy, Amazonian, Shelter, Azucar and The Nile -- all sound-proofed and individually themed, so those of you who love hip-hop can hang out near a subway train to remind you that you are in an urban oasis, and those who prefer to lounge can hang out in an Egyptian-themed room with beds and couches. A wood paneled, chandeliered cigar-style room, a Latin rock room and a lushly landscaped room devoted to world beats rounds the place out, but among the best parts of it all are the hairdryers and ironing boards in the ladies' rooms and the 150-spot parking lot. Resident DJ Nikolas will be joined by Radamas, Ronald Luna, George Alvarado and Carlos Menendez in addition to a stellar roster of visiting celeb DJs . We just hope Jimmy Choo and Manolo Blahnik come up with comfier versions of their shoes, because maneuvering through this place will be a workout! Metropolis will join fellow downtown clubs Space and Nocturnal sometime in September, right after the MTV VMA harassme -- er, festivities.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 5 dos of running a club

Money

Management

Marketing

Music

Knowing the mafia

They got money

Dunno about management

Marketing is tough since it's 5 clubs in one

Their djs are really weak and won't cut it...

Heres my questionaire for thier marketing team, I'm gonna proove why if you want to run with the big dogs you better know what the fuck is up.. (BTW my consulting fee is 100 an hour)

1. what happens when you book a large name dj and space flys in morrillo and opens up the club for free and open bar? What do you do?

2. What do you do when you actualy pull off a good night with a house dj and Space wanders over and hands him double the cash?

3. Do you have any idea if LP and Dade go way way back and will colude to shut you out of thier customers pockets?

4. What happens when Nocturnal and Space steal your employees who are doing a good job? How do you think Eddy came to be at Space?? And his brother runs amika and his other brother runs crobar...

5. What lessons did we learn from club maze?

6. What happens when crobar and nocturnal team up?

7. What have we learned from the Tai situation?

8. What big name djs are you going to book?

9. Did you know Space has all the big jocks on lock down and the rest Dade knows who happened to own shawdow lounge and has done parties for years now and is tight with all the jocks and agencies, so again, which jocks are you gonna book? I think George Acosta is available.

10. Didn't edgar v's stint at nocturnal proove that trance won't work, unless it's the top 3 or 4 dogs, who all spin at space?

11. What happens if Space gets cute and runs open bar and no cover for a month? (traffic programs known in the club world) Can you guys macth that?

12. How long did it take space to be successful downtown?

13. How long did nocturnal take to be successful downtown?

14. What happens if Space and Noc tell agencies if you guys book dj so and so, they won't book the bigger names who can be replaced any time by other bigger names??

15. Whats the state of the house scene?

16. Whos the new and up and comming jocks???

17. What happens when space opens up in NYC and goes after crobar which space is slowly killing...

18. Is 150 parking spots enough?

19. Did you offer DT a gig yet?

20. Did you know what you are in for booking Jr V?

21. How does the shelborne opening up affect you?

22. Are you guys ready for the politics of owning a club in Miami?

Not trying to be a dick, but those djs don't play space, and if they never play space, thats meas they are not good enough to... Dade scouted this whoel town out for 2 years looking for jocks... None of them showed up on his radar... Why?

24. Is it true they are knocking that building down?

25. Haven't we seen tons of people throw money at clubs downtown and fail, why will you guys not fail??

26. Why did Nocturnal pass up on dynacort?

27. Who's going to control the WMC?

28. Who's going to control MMC?

29. How many festivals will be next year at the wmc?

30. Who many festivals wil be next year for mmc?

31. Where are sasha and digweed going to be playing together at?

32. Is your location good enough? Will people even know where your club is?

33. What experience do you guys have running a mega club? Name examples please.

34. Isn't it true you told some about booking tiesto which is just utter bs?

Buckle up boys, you are gonna get a taste of clubbing 101 in this town...

Good luck, but on the house side of things, the market can't support yous.. Not enough clubbers..

What pisses me off is the fact that someone somewhere has the dough to throw millions of dollars at such a risky venture when they can just stick it into realeastate and actualy make money...

How do you wacko wanna be club owners get so rich, yet make so many foolish mistakes thinking you can open up a club???

ps, I forgot to mention, top secret information will be revealed this weekend, well part of it... Do you guys know what it is? I do and the clubbers will find out this weekend..

Guest teabag

saleen... but by being a super club of different genres, wouldn't that give metropolis and edge? hip hop you know that area is gonna get packed as ghetto as miami can be it will fill its rap quota easily... Latin rock if it is well catered and marketed it will fill that area prettyeasily as well, latin rock parties have been as staple of miami forever and they are succesfull and have been succesfull for years in Miami there are no lack of miami girls and boys that can fill those events.......there are a multitude of djs that are superstars and are never brought by space or crobar so thats not a motive to cry about; eric morillo and oscar g are awesome , but they are not the only people spinning quality house..... and in the money side you say that they have money and a club of 55000 square and different ambients under one roof, that shit there cost a lot more that the space setup or the nocturnal setup..... if these people are for real they will get whoever they need to play to back up their investment... I mean why bother if you cannot book quality talent and invest all that money 20 mill plus... it doesn't make sense.....remember.. this type of club can be open 7 days a week with multi parties and different angles...I think they are playing for a win not a loose or a tie.

I'll agree with you with multiple rooms, thus why I said on the house side of things, but remember this, only EDM goes into the late night hours.... All other genres of music and parties are crapped at 330am or 4am.... Then you have other issues like booking a huge named dja and that higher cover is passed down to those who don't venture into the house room... Toss in the fact that certain genres are known not to make the club money... And please post what big name djs will play there ( a new club) and actualy bring heads in, especially when space will have their crowd and big name dj that night as well...

What did we learn from the okenfold NV show??

I think they are way way way over their heads with this club Lavela styled mega club... Pure supply and demand will tell you from a edm standpoint, there is not enough clubbers to go around...

I so some bookings for friends of of mine who dj, so I'm all for new clubs and hoping the scene gets better, but lets be realistic about this, either nocturnal or metropolis have to close or switch to non edm formats..

Guest saintjohn

Owning a club can be fun, but running a club (especially in this market) can be hard work.

The real question is, did he accept?

Space already had a Dynacord system - why imitate when you can innovate?

Guest web_norah

The real question is, did he accept?

i thought the exact same thing too.

Guest teabag

I so some bookings for friends of of mine who dj, so I'm all for new clubs and hoping the scene gets better, but lets be realistic about this, either nocturnal or metropolis have to close or switch to non edm formats..

If it comes to that the victor would ultimately be offering something the clubbers want and that the competition dictates.

If it comes to that the victor would ultimately be offering something the clubbers want and that the competition dictates.

but miami is trendy, thus it's really the show not the go that clubbers are into...

Guest coach

I'm gonna proove why if you want to run with the big dogs you better know what the fuck is up..

That's why I love this town! Like Pod says, bring your A game or shut the fuck up! *Everybody* around here talks smack when they are opening a new club. I love it when the chaff gets weeded out. I'm not saying that's gonna happen here, but in 18 months or less we'll see who's walkin and who's talkin.

Guest creativemafia

Dynacord is crap. loud that is it. no dynamics or “fidelityâ€.

You forgot to mention The Pawn Shop who is consistantly

busy on all three nights as well starting a new night.

Guest vegasguy25
Dynacord is crap. loud that is it. no dynamics or “fidelityâ€.

What club in Miami has a better sound system than the Dynacord Alpha One installed at Space? For that matter, what club in the US has a better system than the one installed at Space?

Guest Eddy Guerra

Money

Management

Marketing

Music

Knowing the mafia

They got money

Dunno about management

Heres my questionaire for thier marketing team, I'm gonna proove why if you want to run with the big dogs you better know what the fuck is up.. (BTW my consulting fee is 100 an hour)

1. what happens when you book a large name dj and space flys in morrillo and opens up the club for free and open bar? What do you do?

2. What do you do when you actualy pull off a good night with a house dj and Space wanders over and hands him double the cash?

3. Do you have any idea if LP and Dade go way way back and will colude to shut you out of thier customers pockets?

4. What happens when Nocturnal and Space steal your employees who are doing a good job? How do you think Eddy came to be at Space?? And his brother runs amika and his other brother runs crobar...

9. Did you know Space has all the big jocks on lock down and the rest Dade knows who happened to own shawdow lounge and has done parties for years now and is tight with all the jocks and agencies, so again, which jocks are you gonna book? I think George Acosta is available.

10. Didn't edgar v's stint at nocturnal proove that trance won't work, unless it's the top 3 or 4 dogs, who all spin at space?

11. What happens if Space gets cute and runs open bar and no cover for a month? (traffic programs known in the club world) Can you guys macth that?

14. What happens if Space and Noc tell agencies if you guys book dj so and so, they won't book the bigger names who can be replaced any time by other bigger names??

17. What happens when space opens up in NYC and goes after crobar which space is slowly killing...

Not trying to be a dick, but those djs don't play space, and if they never play space, thats meas they are not good enough to... Dade scouted this whoel town out for 2 years looking for jocks... None of them showed up on his radar... Why?

25. Haven't we seen tons of people throw money at clubs downtown and fail, why will you guys not fail??

Good luck, but on the house side of things, the market can't support yous.. Not enough clubbers..

What pisses me off is the fact that someone somewhere has the dough to throw millions of dollars at such a risky venture when they can just stick it into realeastate and actualy make money...

How do you wacko wanna be club owners get so rich, yet make so many foolish mistakes thinking you can open up a club???

ps, I forgot to mention, top secret information will be revealed this weekend, well part of it... Do you guys know what it is? I do and the clubbers will find out this weekend..

you are smarter than i thought

Guest tiltmiami

Money

Management

Marketing

Music

Knowing the mafia

They got money

Dunno about management

you are smarter than i thought

Saleen,holy shit i am stun, great reply

Guest creativemafia

What club in Miami has a better sound system than the Dynacord Alpha One installed at Space? For that matter, what club in the US has a better system than the one installed at Space?

FUNKTION ONE.

Guest pod

Oddly enough, both rigs have an Audia backend. Loudspeakers and amps are not "the" only factor anymore. A good DSP is critical. You can work wonders with Audia. I could make a pile of JBL EONs or Cackie err Macikes on sticks sound decent with an Audia Flex DSP.

Guest BIOBLIZZARD

Guess no one was around when this multi-club idea was tried and tested in Ft Lauderdale many year's back, it failed miserably.

Why you ask?

The concept sound's ideal, however not enough emphasis can be put into just one arena, it 's like dividing 5 room's out

of a giant nightclub and calling them 5 different club's.

The guy's spent a shitload of money on the concept but the end result was very cheesy and the sound engineering was subpar to say the least.