Clubplanet Nightlife Community

METROPOLIS @ The Miami Herald !!

Guest PeMaN

Guest pod

but only one has the genious mind of the legendary Tony Andrews

Tony Andrews is a certified genius. He's up there with Richard Long in the innovation department.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess no one was around when this multi-club idea was tried and tested in Ft Lauderdale many year's back, it failed miserably.

Why you ask?

The concept sound's ideal, however not enough emphasis can be put into just one arena, it 's like dividing 5 room's out

of a giant nightclub and calling them 5 different club's.

The guy's spent a shitload of money on the concept but the end result was very cheesy and the sound engineering was subpar to say the least.

Guys, let's be a little optimistic here....Just because something failed in broward does not mean it will fail in miami. It's just more choices for us clubbers. There are many other factors to consider. MGMT, promotions, talent. etc. Promotions are everything IMO. If their promotions are on point they will succeed. The truth is we don't know who's promoting so we cannot judge them.

Guest vegasguy25

What club in Miami has a better sound system than the Dynacord Alpha One installed at Space? For that matter, what club in the US has a better system than the one installed at Space?

FUNKTION ONE.

Granted, I haven't yet been to Nocturnal, as it opened since I was there last, but we have a Funktion One installed out here at Ice, and as great as it is, I still give the nod to Dynacord.

Guest djjoncowan

I give the nod to steve dash. Nobody can design a system like him.. anyone heard cocoon in germany or spirit in nyc or the old twilo system? great points by saleen. You've hit it directly on the head in all departments my friend.... by the way, call me this week nick.. lots to go over

Guest saintjohn

I spoke with Dash a while back - he was looking forward to doing a certain project in SoBe. I should've realized he was talking about Jon's venue, but . . .

Anyway, we all benefit from the variety/competition. Steve Dash, Phil Smith, Dan Agne, Lord Toussaint, Terry McNeil, Tony Andrews, et cetera, have all helped define the south Florida clubbing experience. Most people will never know what it's like to hear and feel a world-class nightclub sound system, but we can enjoy several such installations in a single night.

Guest vegasguy25
Most people will never know what it's like to hear and feel a world-class nightclub sound system, but we can enjoy several such installations in a single night.

And then there are the people who do experience it, maybe even all the time, and don't give a damn. Audiophiles like us are in the distinct minority.

Guest ramon

I give the nod to steve dash. Nobody can design a system like him.. anyone heard cocoon in germany or spirit in nyc or the old twilo system? great points by saleen. You've hit it directly on the head in all departments my friend.... by the way, call me this week nick.. lots to go over

cocoon in germany is dash? damn .. just another reason why that club fuckin rocks .. or so i've heard :(

Guest saintjohn
And then there are the people who do experience it, maybe even all the time, and don't give a damn.

Sad, but true.

Still, I'd like to think that better sound does improve the club experience for eveyone in some way, even if on a subliminal level. As you know, bad audio (distorted signals, uneven frequency response, and/or phase problems) causes ear fatigue, which makes me people (patrons and staff) irritable - even if they don't know why.

Good audio keeps people on the dancefloor, allows patrons to converse without straining, and - most importantly - doesn't interfere with drink orders at the bar. Good audio also tends to attract the tastemakers and club cognecenti, which probably isn't as important as they would like the rest of us to believe, but it certainly doesn't hurt. In the long run, better sound can lead to bigger parties, happier patrons, increased drink sales, and more money.

Of course, audio is just one component of the club experience, but it's more important than many club owners seem to think. A great sound system isn't a toy - it's an investment. I'm delighted to see that more and more industry people in south Florida seem to understand this.

Guest saintjohn
cocoon in germany is dash?

Yes. Dash claims it's the best system he's ever done, which is really saying something.

Guest defunes

I am completely open to new clubbing experiences in Miami. Will it work out? Who knows in this town. When it comes to risk, I admire that because it takes money to make money in anything. Now if Space, Noc and Met go into a pricing war, so be it. To the victor the spoils of calling themselves the King of downtown. All I really care about is no cover, open bar and bigger and better Djs..competition is the best thing that happen to consumers. So let there be greed, cause greed works...alla Wallstreet.

Guest dgrutman

Guess no one was around when this multi-club idea was tried and tested in Ft Lauderdale many year's back, it failed miserably.

Why you ask?

The concept sound's ideal, however not enough emphasis can be put into just one arena, it 's like dividing 5 room's out

The guy's spent a shitload of money on the concept but the end result was very cheesy and the sound engineering was subpar to say the least.

was that the club called mardi gra?

Guest tiltmiami

who cares about the rumors lets be positive and hope that they can open this weekend... God its good for everyone if we have more option when it comes to the clubs selection in Miami

Guest BIOBLIZZARD

Why you ask?

I believe so Dave, If I remember correctly it was around the same time Mark Lehmkuhl was one of the door personalities @ the original LIQUID.

I remember this because we ended up leaving that horrid place after about 30 minute's which was almost exactly the time it took to walk through all the club's and head down to Miami.

I went once never to return, I heard it shut down not too soon after.

Guest dgrutman

Why you ask?

I believe so Dave, If I remember correctly it was around the same time Mark Lehmkuhl was one of the door personalities @ the original LIQUID.

I remember this because we ended up leaving that horrid place after about 30 minute's which was almost exactly the time it took to walk through all the club's and head down to Miami.

how ironic that mark and a group of investors just took over the original liquid space.

Guest BIOBLIZZARD

Why you ask?

how ironic that mark and a group of investors just took over the original liquid space.

Glad to hear

Mark is good peeps, hopefully he can do something positive with that place...

Guest mursa

I think some of you folks take the clubbing industry a bit too serious ...

...if your a clubber, go out to wherever you like, have fun and thats it .

Guest Cosmigonon

Exactly.

Guest Untouchablepurple

Oddly enough, both rigs have an Audia backend. Loudspeakers and amps are not "the" only factor anymore. A good DSP is critical. You can work wonders with Audia. I could make a pile of JBL EONs or Cackie err Macikes on sticks sound decent with an Audia Flex DSP.

english PLEASE !! jk pod

if u really like dragon ball z that much u should buy a ps2(if u havent) and get the game...im not that much into games, but a friend of mine has it and all i can say is wow unreal

Guest badman

1. what happens when you book a large name dj and space flys in morrillo and opens up the club for free and open bar?

Let him loose $80K for the night, nights like that and he will close his only saturdays.

2. What do you do when you actualy pull off a good night with a house dj and Space wanders over and hands him double the cash?

I encourage the DJ to take it, theres alot of great djs out there that can continue our party

3. Do you have any idea if LP and Dade go way way back and will colude to shut you out of thier customers pockets?

There's a hugh market out there, and i think downtown club owners should stick toghether rather then apart we are already competing with 80 clubs the beach provides you. If Metropolis is to packed go to Space, Nocturnal or Pawn Shop.

4. What happens when Nocturnal and Space steal your employees who are doing a good job? How do you think Eddy came to be at Space?? And his brother runs amika and his other brother runs crobar...

When those guys were trying to get into Clubs, Mandy owned Clubs, Running Concerts, Bringing huge talents worldwide, we know the Miami Market. Egoiest was the first Dance Club in Ocean Drive 455 Ocean Drive, do your homework Nick

5. What lessons did we learn from club maze?

You could get a great discount on club lights and sound.

6. What happens when crobar and nocturnal team up?

Crobar is smarter then that , if theres a cross promotion it will be with Metropolis

7. What have we learned from the Tai situation?

They are great promoters, for Lounges and Restaraunts not for 24 hour Venues, besides there a new breed of generations that you need the right promoters to pull it off.

8. What big name djs are you going to book?

Top 50 in the World! Plus what we feel are the best in the market now! Not years ago, the time is now.

9. Did you know Space has all the big jocks on lock down and the rest Dade knows who happened to own shawdow lounge and has done parties for years now and is tight with all the jocks and agencies, so again, which jocks are you gonna book? I think George Acosta is available

Nor Space nor Amika cant pay what Metropolis pays , the capicity of people 4500 to 7000 compare to space 700 do the math.

10. Didn't edgar v's stint at nocturnal proove that trance won't work, unless it's the top 3 or 4 dogs, who all spin at space?

Metropolis has 5 different elements, music, no other club has.

11. What happens if Space gets cute and runs open bar and no cover for a month? (traffic programs known in the club world) Can you guys macth that?

We can beat it!

12. How long did it take space to be successful downtown?

a while untill he hired Gary James and Gary packing school buses all over the beach to take to Space

13. How long did nocturnal take to be successful downtown?

Noctornal is losing big money I feel bad for them and hope they could turn it around.

14. What happens if Space and Noc tell agencies if you guys book dj so and so, they won't book the bigger names who can be replaced any time by other bigger names??

Business is Business and as a Talent booker your job is to book dj not hear pre-Madonas crying.

Guest badman

15. Whats the state of the house scene?

Ronald Luna, Mansion Wednesday , Yage Saturdays, Learn.

16. Whos the new and up and comming jocks???

Hip Hop World Ideal, ames dean for vintage, luna & niko for house & international world beats.

17. What happens when space opens up in NYC and goes after crobar which space is slowly killing...

You are a dreammer, keep dreaming

18. Is 150 parking spots enough?

no, ParkWest handles the rest, but $30K in revenue pays the bills on Heat Parking alone,

19. Did you offer DT a gig yet?

keep posted for line up!

20. Did you know what you are in for booking Jr V? Ask Micheal

21. How does the shelborne opening up affect you?

Heps alot

22. Are you guys ready for the politics of owning a club in Miami?

Been there.

Not trying to be a dick, but those djs don't play space, and if they never play space, thats meas they are not good enough to... Dade scouted this whoel town out for 2 years looking for jocks... None of them showed up on his radar... Why?

Our DeeJays have a following , promote, have their own loyal crowd and is all different types of music with different crowds Metropolis will be the Global Gathering!!!!

24. Is it true they are knocking that building down?

Wrong info they are Knocking the Old Space building down, the one Crobar was going to do!!!!!

25. Haven't we seen tons of people throw money at clubs downtown and fail, why will you guys not fail??

We have Superman, Egoiste, The Whiskey New York, The Shelter Chicago, Honey, Havana, etc,.........

26. Why did Nocturnal pass up on dynacort?

The owner had purchase Funtion One already which by the way is also a great sound sytem!!!

P.S... its dynacord... go back to school

27. Who's going to control the WMC?

Metropolis is Booked already so good luck for all the other Clubs.

31. Where are sasha and digweed going to be playing together at?

You'll be surprised!!!!!!

32. Is your location good enough? Will people even know where your club is?

Thanks to Space he put Downtown on the Map and we thank Him for being the Mayer of Downtown.

33. What experience do you guys have running a mega club?

Name examples please.

Before you were going to clubs, Mandy owned them, so good luck to you!!!! Dont hate the player hate the game.

34. Isn't it true you told some about booking tiesto which is just utter bs?

Your 411 is wrong , get the facts and then write them rather then Criticizing. You are the guy that said Metropolis was being demolished, but the Miami Herald proved you wrong, so keep hating and keep waiting in line. Guys like you no Club needs.

Good luck, but on the house side of things, the market can't support yous.. Not enough clubbers..

If I had to bet money on whos going to make it I would put it on the 3 time world champion for Ferrari and real estate tycoon superman (a.k.a Metropolis)

What pisses me off is the fact that someone somewhere has the dough to throw millions of dollars at such a risky venture when they can just stick it into realeastate and actualy make money...

it hurts not to have money sorry about your luck

How do you wacko wanna be club owners get so rich, yet make so many foolish mistakes thinking you can open up a club???

Seat back and Learn to make money, and then read my Book how to become a Millianaire over night!!!!!

ps, I forgot to mention, top secret information will be revealed this weekend, well part of it... Do you guys know what it is? I do and the clubbers will find out this weekend..

Every body is invited to the Metropolis Grand Opening except you Dick... oops, Im sorry... I meant Nick.