Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Miami can be the next Ibiza, but is not ! Do you know why ?

Guest tino

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pod

Jesus H. Christ in a fucking handbasket.

Big fucking deal. Get off your high horse and realize that the clubs in this nation exist to make money. From bullshit club number two on Smith Street in Sioux City, Iowa, to Space in Miami, they exist to make money.

I'm making no apologies for it. Don't like Miami's nightlife? Start a night somewhere and try to make a change of it? Doesn't work? Keep trying or get out of the biz and do something else.

Love it or hate it, we've got it pretty damn good here. Space, Mansion, crobar, Nocturnal...if you fucking chin-strokers want DJ so-and-so, give me a valid plan which is gonna pay for my expenses for the evening. Can't make it? Sorry, go elsewhere.

We're not Ibiza.

We're not New York.

We're not Detroit (thank god...)

We're not LA.

We're not London.

We're not Las Vegas .

We are Miami. Love it or leave. Frankly I'm happy to live here. Sure it is humid and no one speaks English, but I love it. My friends are here and the job I love to do is here.

20 chin-strokers on a messageboard aren't gonna get a DJ booked. Stop whining, fire up your email client and start presenting your case. You want DJ Trainspotter here in Miami?

Get to work!

Guest dj_release

I think the problem is that there is no support for the smaller, music driven type of parties. I recently came back from Holland where I played a few gigs on the beach... kind of like underground type parties... and the people were awesome... very tolerant about the music and not concerned about many other things (like fashion, etc etc) It was a great atmosphere to DJ in

but here the small parties tend to get little to no crowd and often get cancelled after a few days... I know some have been and are still succesful, but those who are trying to start something these days don't really stand much of a chance

It's all about the big clubs, big DJ's, big bucks around here. There's very little support for the homegrown, underground type of scene

my 2 cents ;D

Guest pod

What the fuck constitutes the "underground"?

Seriously?

Underground around here, to me, constitutes a severe lack of good booze and production values.

Some garage with EONs on sticks and a keg? I'm going home.

I'm not a music person anyway. Miami's not a music town and never will be. Neither's New York or LA or even Ibiza if you think about it. Yeah people go out to the "music" parties there, but ask any random jackass on the dancefloor to trainspot or even venture a guess at the producer and you're seriously in trouble...

Guest macboy

What the fuck constitutes the "underground"?

Seriously?

Underground around here, to me, constitutes a severe lack of good booze and production values.

Some garage with EONs on sticks and a keg? I'm going home.

I'm not a music person anyway. Miami's not a music town and never will be. Neither's New York or LA or even Ibiza if you think about it. Yeah people go out to the "music" parties there, but ask any random jackass on the dancefloor to trainspot or even venture a guess at the producer and you're seriously in trouble...

lol

Guest trauma

The #1 reason ... Electronic music IS pop music in Europe. In the US, hip hop is steadily becoming pop music.

I'm glad that Europe is Europe and the US is the US. If they were the same, we would have the same arguments or discussions, but about a different style of music.

Guest ramon

dan,

first of all thanks for hating on detroit .. out of poverty comes great things sometimes .. you had hip hop coming out of the south brox and techno coming out detroit .. but whatever. i take it personally because i visit the place and as shitty as the place may be they take pride in their music scene and wether you like house or techno or fuckin jazz there's some sort of cultural diversity over there for you. here we get fed the same fuckin shit week in and week out (for 90% of time).. i know this isn't a musically oriented town which is a shame, but what the fuck can we do but to continue trying to put on a good party with music that we enjoy. it may not be the norm or even 'good' to most people's standards, but if we enjoy it and people enjoy who the fuck cares.

Guest dj_release

don't know about electronic music being pop music there... hip hop is actually big over there and the radio stations play mostly what 93.1 used to play down here... so the real electronic music we all like and love is not that commercialized as we would think

fuck even reggaeton is getting big there ::)

Guest tino

we not on the map, most of the clubs in miami play open format music,

this is the new direction for the miami clubs ?

wow, we going back, we loosing points guys :P

Guest james stratus

Around here the equation is this:

Underground = Breaks, Techno, Drum & Bass + IO + PS 14 + Exit

Those few venues, now only two in number really, harbor the sounds and DJs that don't really have any other outlet. So as it always has been, that constitutes underground.

Guest Ibiza2times

Several Points on this topic

1. Everyone is Ibiza is on vacation 24x7

2. Euro's have more tolerance for the clubbing culture

3. Miami is a very who's who of places

4. Miami is well respected in around the world - Host to the WMC so everyone know's there is some good times here

5. Miami is just as expensive as Ibiza

6. Ibiza is more magicial as it has tons of fresh new people every week with energy ready to blow it out for there one or two weeks a year - as Miami would have to recreate itself so often to give the locals something to come out for. This is just not feasible.

7. Miami is one of the best city's and really does a good job compared to most in bringing you the best DJ's from around the world.

8. Be happy what you have - great clubs, beautiful people, and wonderful weather and even good music sometimes.

9. You are home to many top DJ's OG, Danny T now, and Robbie Rivera.

10. I just recently came back from Ibiza and asked DJ Gee who runs Bora Bora (the best place in the world - IMO) if he has thought about opening a Bora Bora type of place in Miami and his response was "Miami already has Nikki's and tons of other great venues so I'm going to focus on South America".

* My recommendation is to enjoy what you have and if you ever get bored save up and try some other places - you'll find it's not always greener on the other side - except for Ibiza. ;D

Guest tino

I work at Bora Bora, El Divino, caffe del mar and most of the club in Spain

the vibe is there, people are open minds, clubs are open mind, here what do we have ? the same 5 dee jays going around all the clubs ?

My respect for those 5 dee jays, but this not the way of running the show...

My suggestion is this CHANGE THE FORMAT !!

free your body !!!!

bang the party

Guest ramon

the vibe is there, people are open minds, clubs are open mind, here what do we have ? the same 5 dee jays going around all the clubs ?

free your body !!!!

bang the party

i just want to go to cocoon and dc10 .. do you frequent either of the two spots?

Guest mursa

free your body !!!!

bang the party

Thats Europe for you in a nutshell 8).........how i miss it ! :'(

Guest coach

A) Miami IS on the map. People come here from around the country and the world to visit. They have since Miami was founded aroud a century ago.

B) How about this. How about you go to Ibiza any of the OTHER 9 months of the year and see what it is like? We have world-class DJs coming down here year round. We have awesome local DJs who play here 365 days a year. We have around a dozen high quality clubs, and 2-3 dozen smaller venues open all year. Does Ibiza have any of that? Didn't think so.

You want to compare us to one of the other world-class cities, then I tell you what you do. Wait til December, then you go to your favorite nightclub there till 5am or noon, then you take a $10 cab ride (or a walk) to a nice cafe for brunch, then you walk your ass right over to the beautiful beach and jump in the water to cool off from a hot night of partying. Then you walk over a couple blocks to your dozens of boutique and big-name shops to pick up some new clothes for that evening. Then you walk over to your favorite club again and start it all over. How many of your so-called world-class cities offer that?

My point is this. There are certain benefits that living in Miami offers over other cities. Other cities offer different benefits (none that I can think of off-hand, but I'm sure they do). If you don't like what Miami offers, the airport is just off 836 at 37th Ave. Comparing cities is ridiculous because people have different tastes.

There is NO way that I would want to live in Ibiza. 3 months of fun, followed by 9 months of nothing. Not to mention the living standard. You go for it, though

Guest dj_release

here what do we have ? the same 5 dee jays going around all the clubs ?

my suggestion exactly... only a handful of local DJs are going around night in and night out... but hey not much we can do about it, i don't see things changing for good anytime soon. That's why Europe is my future home ;D I was recently in Holland for 2 weeks... I've never been there before and I was booked 5 times (not to brag or anything like that) just shows how different things can be in the other side of the puddle

Guest pod

What's stopping anyone from becoming one of the "handful" of DJs in this town? Contrary to popular belief, there's no mafia of club owners and promoters keeping the man down...every year there's new people getting gigs and growing. Last year, were Rocky, Diaga, or someone like Patrick M on the map with consistent gigs and residencies? Nope...now they are...you just gotta work for it...

Here you really gotta hustle. It's about the money in the end. Sad? I don't know. Hypothetically as a club owner I'm not gonna book your party if you're not gonna make me money. Sure that rocks that you got booked 5 times in Holland, but again it is different over there. We could argue all day about it. Miami's not Europe and nor will it ever be.

As for Detroit? I just slagged on it just to get ya all excited, Ramon...I'm sure it isn't a bad city at all. I'd just rather not duck snipers on the way to the club :) On another note, you are doing instead of complaing with your night at I/O. Most of the out-of-work DJs and promoters in this town complain and don't do anything.

Guest dj_release

What's stopping anyone from becoming one of the "handful" of DJs in this town? Contrary to popular belief, there's no mafia of club owners and promoters keeping the man down...every year there's new people getting gigs and growing. Last year, were Rocky, Diaga, or someone like Patrick M on the map with consistent gigs and residencies? Nope...now they are...you just gotta work for it...

Here you really gotta hustle. It's about the money in the end. Sad? I don't know. Hypothetically as a club owner I'm not gonna book your party if you're not gonna make me money. Sure that rocks that you got booked 5 times in Holland, but again it is different over there. We could argue all day about it. Miami's not Europe and nor will it ever be.

As for Detroit? I just slagged on it just to get ya all excited, Ramon...I'm sure it isn't a bad city at all. I'd just rather not duck snipers on the way to the club :) On another note, you are doing instead of complaing with your night at I/O. Most of the out-of-work DJs and promoters in this town complain and don't do anything.

would you listen to my demos then

LOL you are right Miami will never be Europe... I think the difference there is that there is a very clear line between DJs and promoters... while here it's a very thin one... most DJs that get a new night have to promote by themselves

very few DJs can actually get the chance to DJ to big crowds around here... I guess being discovered could also be a matter of luck

Guest ddg

A) Miami IS on the map. People come here from around the country and the world to visit. They have since Miami was founded aroud a century ago.

B) How about this. How about you go to Ibiza any of the OTHER 9 months of the year and see what it is like? We have world-class DJs coming down here year round. We have awesome local DJs who play here 365 days a year. We have around a dozen high quality clubs, and 2-3 dozen smaller venues open all year. Does Ibiza have any of that? Didn't think so.

You want to compare us to one of the other world-class cities, then I tell you what you do. Wait til December, then you go to your favorite nightclub there till 5am or noon, then you take a $10 cab ride (or a walk) to a nice cafe for brunch, then you walk your ass right over to the beautiful beach and jump in the water to cool off from a hot night of partying. Then you walk over a couple blocks to your dozens of boutique and big-name shops to pick up some new clothes for that evening. Then you walk over to your favorite club again and start it all over. How many of your so-called world-class cities offer that?

My point is this. There are certain benefits that living in Miami offers over other cities. Other cities offer different benefits (none that I can think of off-hand, but I'm sure they do). If you don't like what Miami offers, the airport is just off 836 at 37th Ave. Comparing cities is ridiculous because people have different tastes.

There is NO way that I would want to live in Ibiza. 3 months of fun, followed by 9 months of nothing. Not to mention the living standard. You go for it, though

well put coach...