Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Miami = Big City , But does it live upto Big City Life ?

Guest DJ Nova

Guest Cosmigonon

Hi all, I'm new to the board, and relatively new to the town and I guess this is as good a place as any to jump in, as I think I've got a pretty good perspective on this. I'm originally from up North and have seen pretty much all of what's on offer in Boston, Hartford, Providence and New York both from the perspective of being in the clubs and even playing in some of them from time to time, believe me-Miami is great. I think people who have always lived here are kind of blinded to just how lucky we all are to be part of what goes on here. It's really easy to say people are uneducated musically if their taste in music isn't the same as yours but from what I've seen there are more people here who are well into the music that they go see then anywhere else I've been. Speaking for myself personally, I've continued to buy records and spin and now that I've settled in I've started to miss playing for people. I know that if I find an outlet here to play the music that I love to people who feel the same way about it, that beats the hell out of banging it out to a few hundred people who don't have anywhere else to go. I go see Oscar G sometimes when he's here and I don't know a single record he plays, but he always kills it a I have a good time regardless. I prefer trance and techno or some combination thereof which may not be as well represented here as in other places but I'm never short of places to go and good DJs to see and you can't bitch about that.

Welcome to the board!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest coach

Okay, I admit, I did not read all of the really long posts, but I just want to make sure I understand. Is it the contention of the OP and the people arguing on his side that because there are not a lot of club events that host a wide variety of the various sub-genres of EDM, that means that Miami does not qualify as a big city?

Guest ramon

Okay, I admit, I did not read all of the really long posts, but I just want to make sure I understand. Is it the contention of the OP and the people arguing on his side that because there are not a lot of club events that host a wide variety of the various sub-genres of EDM, that means that Miami does not qualify as a big city?

no the comparison is in other big cities there's diversity and here there isn't much.

Guest DJSkeemWestchesta

Guys and gals, I personally love the attacks against my name especially since it seems none of you know who I am. The fact of the matter is I don't hate on anyone's parade, I'm just merely making an observation being someone who was born and raised and has worked for years to make my vision happen in Miami. But truth be told, and its no knock on anyone I may have offended, those people are NOT Derrick, or Rich, or Carl Craig, etc. I don't care where they've played or how many Global Undersround Cds they've made. If you know a talent by their talent and not by the flyers then I think you know what I am talking about. You guys don't get what I mean. I totally respect anyone trying to make it in this business, but these people have worked their entire lives to make scenes all around the world for entertainment purposes. They paved the way for people like Danny Howells to come play at Space regardless of what nationality you come from or why you grace Miami's club scene on that particular night. What I think Nelson was referring to is the fact that unfortunately whether or not these people want to come and play here, they can not for various obstacles. Now you can look at it in many fronts but the major beef here is that these people don't get any love from Miami people because they are not Tiesto or "Oakey" who I'm sorry to say, regardless of how good they are, are not these people. They deserve the same respect if not more because they made this shit possible for all of us and they get no love anywhere in the US. Forget NYC, LA, CHI, even in Detroit its a struggle, because when its not Trance here, its Hip Hop there, and Reggaeton somewhere else. But, it is not going to get any better unless we inform people on why they are good musicians and not because of their affiliation to a genre or organization.

If there was even the remote possibility that I could get people to support, I would make the call in a heartbeat and house these people myself, which I have done in the past. But unfortunately, as has always been the case, that has always been followed by the embarrassing conversation that next time will be better or how because only 25 people showed up, we can't pay them what we promised. You may think that it requires mad $$$ to have these people, and sometimes it may, but it doesn't pale in comaprison to people like "Oakey" who will only play for something like $25,000. I know most these guys would play for a lot less, and its not because they are filthy rich, because aside from Rich who puts out made releases a year and spends most of his year traveling, not everyone we speak of is living the life of luxary.

This is crap that we as the obvious select few that truly care about it should work together to improve and not alientate by ripping on people comments. It is true that we will never go back to the days where $5-10 would get you three rooms of all different types of music, it sucks, but we move foward. I agree that more variety is essential. Fuck all that jazz of Miami needing a soundtrack, it already has one, and I'm sorry for all you people from Ohio and and the midwest, but that shit beats with congos and bongos and all the good Latin shit this city was made on.

Guest pod

Well at least that was more civil than calling me out for sleeping around. My girlfriends are quite put out with you.

On the same token, like someone else said, it is more advisable to play nice and work from within, than work from without. I'd rather do business with someone like that, ya know? Coming in like the world owes you something isn't the best tactic. Larry Levan himself could rise from the grave, and if he copped me an attitude like that, I probably would pass him up. Performer drama is uncalled for.

>> Miami is Miami...

good or bad compared to what music (or DJ) you prefer. However we have become quite lazy when it comes to breaking NEW music formats / sounds. Don't get me wrong I love it here and wouldn't want to live any where else in the states, but there is ALWAYS room for improvement.

> NOW unlike most other DJ's here I truly enjoy, DJ & even promote / produce other music formats which get drowned out by all the same BIG name hype. (ie. D&B, Downtempo, Techo/Tech House, Old School Hip-Hop & House), with that said.... Miami does seem to be in Auto Pilot mode when if come to New / Different talent... (my god Mark Farina Finally played here recently and it's been years since that's happend outside of the conference, Louie vega is FINALLY comming outside of the conf., but even they are BIG names which are guaranteed not to loose... along the same lines.. there should be avenues for groups/artists like Wikkid Beat Sound System, Dean Coleman, Murat Uncuoglu, and even better known names like Junior Jack, Tony Humphries, & Jesse Saunders

Bottom Line is the Circut.... since the over-explosion of EDM and the constant eye of the goverments looking for RAVES.. the scene has suffered tremendosly. Thus leading the investors / promoters & club owners stick to Guaranteed Names. Which are most often share-fares into this market so the price is cheaper when flying in someone. There fore whey you see the same names returning evey quarter (it's a quarterly / monthly contract most venues / promoters have with a particular booking agency. Which leadsme to what I feel is the true root of the problem... Venues don't want to book a lesser known name for fear of loosing money, and agencies are force feeding thier roster to the scene if you want thier "money man" to appear.

All in all if you want a truly different scene you have to build it your self or find people who think like you do.... which is probably the point of this thread... but like most Americans we personalize and get defensive before we analyze the question at hand....

But instead of complaining / name bashing.... DO something...

I know what ive been doing the past 20+ years to change the scene (on multiple music formats and in multiple industries) and evey 5 years I take on a new angle or perspective where I feel i can make a BIG difference and most often do it behind the scenes.. which is where most of the changes are being made.

My 0.6 centz 8)

Guest ramon

At least you've been civil about it. 8)

well otherwise why discuss a topic if we can't be civil about it.

although i feel a real big problem is the music is not available. we need to make it available .. dj sets radio whatever .. people aren't going to be able to hear something if its not out there.

Guest dj_release

At least you've been civil about it. 8)

well otherwise why discuss a topic if we can't be civil about it.

although i feel a real big problem is the music is not available. we need to make it available .. dj sets radio whatever .. people aren't going to be able to hear something if its not out there.

ok.... i think it is available either through here or to some minor events that are out there... you just have to look a bit harder... I've been playing stuff u post here for a while... the problem is there's no one there to listen so what's the difference... why do I keep doing it? well because I love doing it

Whether it's Stryke, Nova.... these guys over @ BED on Thursdays.... me & michael on Friday's at riverfront... yeah there is good music out there... but no one is there to support it... which brings me to my course of action to be taken... get everyone together for a change at least there would be 10 people there to listen even if they are all DJs and hopefully someone will follow

Guest skywalker01

>> Miami is Miami...

good or bad compared to what music (or DJ) you prefer. However we have become quite lazy when it comes to breaking NEW music formats / sounds. Don't get me wrong I love it here and wouldn't want to live any where else in the states, but there is ALWAYS room for improvement.

> NOW unlike most other DJ's here I truly enjoy, DJ & even promote / produce other music formats which get drowned out by all the same BIG name hype. (ie. D&B, Downtempo, Techo/Tech House, Old School Hip-Hop & House), with that said.... Miami does seem to be in Auto Pilot mode when if come to New / Different talent... (my god Mark Farina Finally played here recently and it's been years since that's happend outside of the conference, Louie vega is FINALLY comming outside of the conf., but even they are BIG names which are guaranteed not to loose... along the same lines.. there should be avenues for groups/artists like Wikkid Beat Sound System, Dean Coleman, Murat Uncuoglu, and even better known names like Junior Jack, Tony Humphries, & Jesse Saunders

Bottom Line is the Circut.... since the over-explosion of EDM and the constant eye of the goverments looking for RAVES.. the scene has suffered tremendosly. Thus leading the investors / promoters & club owners stick to Guaranteed Names. Which are most often share-fares into this market so the price is cheaper when flying in someone. There fore whey you see the same names returning evey quarter (it's a quarterly / monthly contract most venues / promoters have with a particular booking agency. Which leadsme to what I feel is the true root of the problem... Venues don't want to book a lesser known name for fear of loosing money, and agencies are force feeding thier roster to the scene if you want thier "money man" to appear.

All in all if you want a truly different scene you have to build it your self or find people who think like you do.... which is probably the point of this thread... but like most Americans we personalize and get defensive before we analyze the question at hand....

But instead of complaining / name bashing.... DO something...

I know what ive been doing the past 20+ years to change the scene (on multiple music formats and in multiple industries) and evey 5 years I take on a new angle or perspective where I feel i can make a BIG difference and most often do it behind the scenes.. which is where most of the changes are being made.

My 0.6 centz 8)

good points made. and i agree there is always room for improvement, but miami still has it much better than a lot of the US

Guest pod

Every scene has room to improve. New York clubbers treat outsiders like shit, even more so than Miami. Detroit folk would sooner shoot you than say hello. Los Angeles is even more vacuous than Miami. Vegas has great clubs, but zero quality in terms of DJs and music..ICE being a lone exception...but you get my point. The originator of this thread acts like us Miamians just shot his mother, banged his sister, and torched his house.

Guest ramon

Every scene has room to improve. New York clubbers treat outsiders like shit, even more so than Miami. Detroit folk would sooner shoot you than say hello. Los Angeles is even more vacuous than Miami. Vegas has great clubs, but zero quality in terms of DJs and music..ICE being a lone exception...but you get my point. The originator of this thread acts like us Miamians just shot his mother, banged his sister, and torched his house.

thats complete bullshit regarding new york , la or detroit .. people are very up for it in detroit .. ffs there's not much else to look forward to ..

let's get a few things straight .. new york is straight up fuckin spoiled. they have it so well in multiple genres of music its straight up sickening that they complain, but they do.

los angeles atleast gets some different acts over there and has a great non-electronic (rock) scene as well.

last but not least detroit .. sure the city is not amazing, but those people go out to have a good time regardless of who's djing i've had more amazing nights over there than i would've expected. sure bash it all you fuckin want but there's people over there doing full out productions in places like a masonic temple .. i wanna see a production/promotion group do that .. let's take a fuckin building and control everything (sound lighting visuals etc)

Guest musicalmissionary

Every scene has room to improve. New York clubbers treat outsiders like shit, even more so than Miami. Detroit folk would sooner shoot you than say hello.

Seriously man, your bullshit generalizations about these cities are tired and WRONG!!! We all know your stance on Miami and that's fine. But there's no need to spew out bullshit in the process. I know it sounds funny in your head, but it's just flat out wrong.

Guest pod

I know I rag on Detroit a little too much. OK, I promise I'll find another city to pick on. Jersey City's a shithole, I'll target them next. Jersey City makes Detroit look like South Beach anyway.

Hey Miami's got it's faults too. Just today I found out the Army Corps of Engineers is pulling out of Liberty City since the residents were shooting at them. Go us!

As for New York? I come from that area. Sure I left when I was 18, but nonetheless, I'm from there. I really didn't go out much till I got to Miami though...and every time I've been back since then, aside from my friends and industry colleagues, I've been treated like a second-class citizen. I understand wariness of tourists, but some of my experiences in the NYC scene have been beyond that. Yeah yeah I know, it's New York, I don't expect a rub and tug when I go out, but at least don't look down on me just because I have to ask directions or something.

Nonetheless though, the original point of the post was that every scene has room for improvement. We need more diversity, New York needs to be nicer to visitors, Detroit ... err Jersey City needs a guns-for-food program, LA has to be less vacuous, and so forth. Nowhere is perfect. And if every place was the same, that would suck.

Guest coach

Wait, so you're telling me that 5 pages of some really long posts comes down to the fact that Miami needs more diversity in EDM clubbing choices? Who disputes that? And what point is there in stating the obvious (not to mention "discussing" it at length)?

And there are people working to change it, many of them participate in these forums, quite a few posted in this thread. They all *know* what they are doing to make a difference.

Also, consider this. Miami is only the 46th largest city in America. Omaha, Nebraska is more populated. Indianapolis has about twice the population. Detroit two and a quarter times the population. Chicago, 7.5 times the population. And, of course New York, over 21 times the population. Including the surrounding suburbs, etc may level the field a bit, or it may unbalance it even more. But in any case, I think it would be self-evident that with fewer people comes less of everything. For our size, I think we're doing better than average. Not to say it couldn't be better, but just to illustrate one of the primary issues.

Guest swank

these are some pretty long assed posts......almost like a fish missing a fin and swimming in circles.

take a little of the emphasis off of the 'dj' and put some of that energy back into 'the party'

As far as big city life.....WTF?

the end. :)