Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Not much more to say...

V. Barbarino

Guest pod

See my post in the other thread about hip-hop. Love it or hate it, it has been around in a "popular" form for over 20 years now. It's passed the test of time.

Dance music has a way to go before it becomes true mainstream, if ever. The most we can hope for is club success at this point.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LeVeL

Why do you even say this? So many "radio station friendly" music styles and styles on which there was "too much money to be made" have gone away?

I say this because its true...now if you were talking about Polka, Mambo which tried to make a comback in 2000 but failed.Disco failed, Reggaeton will fail, Reggae is another genre which doesn't make tons of money in the United States besides your name being Sean Paul.

Eventually we are left with the Genre's that Radio Station dictate should be heard, which are Jazz,Rock,Latin (Salsa & Merengue & Bachata), Country and Now Hip Hop.

You can even go to Hicktown, Idaho and you'll still have Hip Hop Played overthere.

Hip Hop has become a monster of its own reaching levels which only Rock and POP genre's have seen in the past.

Guest pod

Exactly. I don't care for 90 percent of hip-hop, but I will acknowledge it's success.

Dance fans drool when they see Tiësto showing up in a limo to a gig. Diddy laughs and shows up in a private jet that he owns, then gets a lift from the airport via helo to his hotel. Then he gets a fleet of limos and crashes the party.

Guest WhereIsZion12

tru tru pod...celebrities and entertainment is what drives this country and mainstream is where the money is at unfortunetly and the dumbass citizens who buy into it are the only thing fueling the progress...and we all know how hard it is to convince the masses? especially when it comes to opening their minds to broader horizons. :-\

Guest b00tyman07

\

23. CJ gets out of the edm scene and becomes a "miami" board.. anything goes Miami.. they add in hotels and resturants and focus on big events.

\

had this idea a few months ago, doesn't really make sense to not use all your resources

Guest tres-b

Ima say it again...................... this is LACK OF PU**Y! ::)

Say it all you want but he nailed the Crobar story(for the most part anyway) and Shine closing as well.

Pu--y or not, Saleen has been CJ's version of John Anthony.

Guest b00tyman07

from an outsider's pov...in the next five years i see miami going totally mainstream, GG and WMC (if they still exist) will be rock, hip hop...then EDM, this'll be reflected in clubs as well, no more afterhours, smaller venues. families that think they're too cool for disney will come here and the crackheads, thugs, and and hookers won't fly. don't worry though, vegas lost its cool years ago but its getting its mojo back

Guest pod

Families won't come down here. Too many "foreigners". Decry it all you want, but the immigrant element keeps Middle America out of here. Plus that tourists are generally denigrated. Keep Ma and Pa Kettle penned up in Liquordale.

As for afterhours? I'm taking a wait-and-see on that. The City sanctioned the 24 hour zone, the clubs have resources to fall back on. It's not gonna be a lie-down battle like on Miami Beach.

I think EDM's decrease in popularity is because there is no marketing and no front men that push this down people's throught. Hip Hop is everywhere - From Sports to TV to Radio to a Lifestyle. It has taken 20 years to build. Now my theory is back then, Chitown had very creative cats putting together beats that had a dance feel to them. Then hip hop marketed so well that these creative beatmakers (aspiring as well, from all over the US) shifted to hip hop. Now, everyone wants to make beats for hip hop - the money is there to be made and popularity controls it. Now EDM has the rest of the beat makers who aren't really motivated to make that next big record for a popular artist.

My opinion of course. :P

Guest pod

Hell, BT did production work for Shitney err Britney.

Dance music really needs an injection of hip-hop business sense.

Guest Tru1

How about Oakenfold collaborating with Brittany Murphy!

Oakey has more business sense than many in the biz, and that plays a large role in his success. (Ok haters...this is where you insert your Oakie's djing sucks comment!)

Guest Adam Singer

I think EDM's decrease in popularity is because there is no marketing and no front men that push this down people's throught. Hip Hop is everywhere - From Sports to TV to Radio to a Lifestyle. It has taken 20 years to build. Now my theory is back then, Chitown had very creative cats putting together beats that had a dance feel to them. Then hip hop marketed so well that these creative beatmakers (aspiring as well, from all over the US) shifted to hip hop. Now, everyone wants to make beats for hip hop - the money is there to be made and popularity controls it. Now EDM has the rest of the beat makers who aren't really motivated to make that next big record for a popular artist.

You're half right. There has been plenty of effort (even if it isn't in the same scope as rap music) to push electronic music on people.

The issue is that electronic music has a certain taboo with many people in our culture, and there has been no solid PR campaign to attempt to reposition electronic music in today's society.

With that said - the right electronic artist could be positioned properly in the public eye (and has) and be blasted into the mainstream, perhaps providing more of a grounds for a future of electronic music in the mainstream (do we really want this?).

Regardless, the marketing exists, it is the COMPLETE lack of public relations that keeps electronic music's popularity at bay...when was the last article or news piece on electronic music or an artist outside of a niche magazine such as Mixmag, or a community newspaper with a focus on obscure music genres (New Times, and their WMC section for instance).

BTW - Electronic music will always have a home in movies/soundtracks, video games and cd's/dvd's/digital downloads, coffee shops, lounges, smaller venues, etc - if the superclub dies stateside, will it really matter ? Not to me - the over the top display of lack of substance and full of status, huge door lines, and massive egos will hopefully dissolve into a nicer music scene for those of us who are in it because we love electronic art.

Guest trancelator

Dance music will go to the next level when a dj/duo/artist do the following successfully: go gold or platinum with an artist album, have a top 40 hit (or hits), has solid video airplay, gets an opening tour slot for a big band (i.e. U2, Depeche Mode, The Cure, etc.), collaborates with big named artists (either production like the mention of BT above or remixes), get their music played in movies or commercials and do a tour on their own with full production (lights, dancers, video screens, musicians, etc). If this can happen once and then sustained by a succession of dj's, then dance music will hit the bigtime.

Until then, it is a moot point and dance music will remain in the background of American music culture. I'm sure some people won't want dance music to ever hit the mainstream and will think of dj's as "sell outs" if that ever happens. However, nobody ever became uber famous, wealthy or successful by staying "underground".

Guest JMT

Dance music will go to the next level when a dj/duo/artist do the following successfully: go gold or platinum with an artist album, have a top 40 hit (or hits), has solid video airplay, gets an opening tour slot for a big band (i.e. U2, Depeche Mode, The Cure, etc.), collaborates with big named artists (either production like the mention of BT above or remixes), get their music played in movies or commercials and do a tour on their own with full production (lights, dancers, video screens, musicians, etc). If this can happen once and then sustained by a succession of dj's, then dance music will hit the bigtime.

not that long ago, paul oakenfold accomplished a good portion of those by himself. but the latter part of sustenance by others never really happened.

Guest addictedtospace

I did not see Nelly (ok with me) or any other Hip Hop icon perfoming at the Olympics.

http://www.internetdj.com/article.php?storyid=452

The world's top DJ, Tiesto, performed a 90 minute set at the 2004 Olympics in Athens. Full information and quote from Tiesto right here.

ATHENS (Reuters) - One of the world's top DJs will rock the 55,000 crowd at Friday's opening ceremony for the Athens Olympics, Games officials say.

DJ Tiesto, twice voted the world's top DJ by the trade press, will become the first entertainer of his kind to perform at the opening ceremony in the 108-year history of the Games.

"The opportunity to perform my music for billions of people around the globe will be the greatest highlight of my life," Dutchman Tiesto said in a statement on Monday.

"I am honoured to be part of the biggest sports event in the world."

Tiesto will perform a 90-minute live set in the Olympic Stadium during the parade of athletes.

"While it is path-breaking, it is also natural that a modern artist like Tiesto will contribute to the celebration we are planning on our opening night," Games chief Gianna Angelopoulos said.

Few other details are known about the opening ceremony, but organisers have promised it will be spectacular.

In MY opinion I prefer the House/EDM scene to stay off every other radio station with a set 20 song daily playlist that gets tiring real quick. And, as for some people on this board who are so desperatly looking forward to the demise of the scene, where will they spend all their time posting all their predictions and wisdom.

-eLio

Guest Adam Singer

I did not see Nelly (ok with me) or any other Hip Hop icon perfoming at the Olympics.

http://www.internetdj.com/article.php?storyid=452

The world's top DJ, Tiesto, performed a 90 minute set at the 2004 Olympics in Athens. Full information and quote from Tiesto right here.

ATHENS (Reuters) - One of the world's top DJs will rock the 55,000 crowd at Friday's opening ceremony for the Athens Olympics, Games officials say.

DJ Tiesto, twice voted the world's top DJ by the trade press, will become the first entertainer of his kind to perform at the opening ceremony in the 108-year history of the Games.

"The opportunity to perform my music for billions of people around the globe will be the greatest highlight of my life," Dutchman Tiesto said in a statement on Monday.

"I am honoured to be part of the biggest sports event in the world."

Tiesto will perform a 90-minute live set in the Olympic Stadium during the parade of athletes.

"While it is path-breaking, it is also natural that a modern artist like Tiesto will contribute to the celebration we are planning on our opening night," Games chief Gianna Angelopoulos said.

Few other details are known about the opening ceremony, but organisers have promised it will be spectacular.

In MY opinion I prefer the House/EDM scene to stay off every other radio station with a set 20 song daily playlist that gets tiring real quick. And, as for some people on this board who are so desperatly looking forward to the demise of the scene, where will they spend all their time posting all their predictions and wisdom.

-eLio

sadly, in america - american idol's ratings easily eclipsed the olympics (i researched this for a client - don't ask) but it is 100%, sadly true...

that says enough right there

• 1 month later...
Guest always_ready

Actually, I was at Pearl recently and it seems they have added a lot of energy to the place. The furniture is new...the inside seems to be re-done...I had dinner the other night, I think it was Friday...they had gorgeous girls parading around and catwalking down this huge table...seems like they're doing lots of fashions shows...clothes were really hott and the vibe inside was great! Looks like I'm going to pearl again next friday...

Actually, I was at Pearl recently and it seems they have added a lot of energy to the place. The furniture is new...the inside seems to be re-done...I had dinner the other night, I think it was Friday...they had gorgeous girls parading around and catwalking down this huge table...seems like they're doing lots of fashions shows...clothes were really hott and the vibe inside was great! Looks like I'm going to pearl again next friday...

Someone is on the pearl payroll....

Guest Adam Singer

gotta love the people that come on here with less than 10 posts to fluff their venue

Guest lulamishka

LoL! Mmhmm!

Guest brucio

gotta love the people that come on here with less than 10 posts to fluff their venue

Why should the number of posts have anything to do with it?

It is a horrible offense, I personally am outraged that ANYONE would think about "fluffing" a venue, wether they have 50,000 posts, or 30 some like me.

Now that that's out of the way, I just wanted to remind everyone how much fun Pearl is tonight with Johnny Ramirez and Armand Pena!