Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Dade S. Retires from the club business..

V. Barbarino

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest macboy

From the interview:

CJ: Let's lead off with the obvious question. You're a good 20 and some odd years shy of what most would consider retirement. What bought this on?

DS: First of all, I wouldn’t say I’m retiring. I would say I am taking a break.

You can stop reading after that. It's not a retirement.

From the interview:

CJ: Certain pundits have been writing the obituary for dance music in Miami and in the US as a whole, do you see this? Or are we in yet another downturn in the cycle of things?

DS: I really hope we are just in a downturn. There are so many talented people in the “Dance†music industry and I would love for them to get the recognition they deserve. The problem in America is lack of exposure. There is no Dance on MTV. There is no Dance on mainstream radio. The only exposure that American kids get to Dance is at clubs. The problem is that by the time they get old enough to go to a club, they are already into Hip-Hop or some other form of music. We need exposure to young audiences in a way that glamorizes this scene. We need to highlight the artists. If this doesn’t happen soon, I fear it’s over.

Not enough exposure. I've felt this way for the longest. Even though 93.1 used to play cheesy generic dance music, at least we had a "dance" station. The upcoming generation of clubgoers gets influenced by what they hear on the radio. Which currently is " bling bling down south hip hop". 3-4 hip hop stations and zero dance stations and you wonder why the beach is flooded with gold teeth, rims and oversized t-shirts. These kids refer to EDM as " techno shit". They are not being educated or exposed to dance music. There is no new EDM niche being created, no fresh blood and this will ultimately hurt the scene. Our generation can party but for so long. We all have to "grow up" one day. we're not going to go to clubs at the age of 60. And what happens then?

Everybody wants to open a new EDM club with a patio and afterhours, but nobody realizes that without creating a core audience to replace the aging clubbers, edm will not survive. The powers that be in this scene need to get together, find some investors, make a deal with Clear Channel and open up an EDM radio station ASAP before it's too late, instead of opening a bunch of mega clubs that cannot be filled or that will end up becoming hip hop clubs. By no means am I trying to sound negative but without this, I don't see this scene getting any better.

great interview........ esp the question rick noted above.... i believe that to be true as well....

we need dance music in the mainstream not just streams over the net.. thru file sharing P2P programs, etc..

hip hop will falter too as every generation there is a new fad.... its a huge uphill battle for dance music to come close to the popularity of hip hop........ its not the industry's fault for the talent is there... just not the mainstream exposure like Dade said..... :-\

not saying i believe house to be dead or EDM to be dead. cuz i believe it will always live on and have an underground fanbase.. what we need though is the outlets and resources to make it mainstream or it will always remain "under the radar" so to speak......

Guest LeVeL

Not enough exposure. I've felt this way for the longest. Even though 93.1 used to play cheesy generic dance music' date=' at least we had a "dance" station. The upcoming generation of clubgoers gets influenced by what they hear on the radio. Which currently is " bling bling down south hip hop". 3-4 hip hop stations and zero dance stations and you wonder why the beach is flooded with gold teeth, rims and oversized t-shirts. These kids refer to EDM as " techno shit". They are not being educated or exposed to dance music. There is no new EDM niche being created, no fresh blood and this will ultimately hurt the scene. Our generation can party but for so long. We all have to "grow up" one day. we're not going to go to clubs at the age of 60. And what happens then?

Everybody wants to open a new EDM club with a patio and afterhours, but nobody realizes that without creating a core audience to replace the aging clubbers, edm will not survive. The powers that be in this scene need to get together, find some investors, make a deal with Clear Channel and open up an EDM radio station ASAP before it's too late, instead of opening a bunch of mega clubs that cannot be filled or that will end up becoming hip hop clubs. By no means am I trying to sound negative but without this, I don't see this scene getting any better.

[/quote']

So true great post Rick, we definetely need a EDM Station in Miami, I know that there might be stations like these on XM and Sirius but Modern Radio is what the Majority of the Population listen too. You can listen in your car,at work,while at home, in a freinds house its everywhere. But what is being heard more now in day is Hip Hop due to the numerous stations that play it.

I still ask myself how can there be a Reggaeton station and not a dance Music Station. Reggaeton doesn't have enough artist to play in their stations, they're now playing Hip Hop tracks with Reggeaton Backround.

Its sad but even A Ghetto Dance Music Station would be nice these days with pure EDM tracks.

Guest mp3some
Not enough exposure. I've felt this way for the longest. Even though 93.1 used to play cheesy generic dance music' date=' at least we had a "dance" station. The upcoming generation of clubgoers gets influenced by what they hear on the radio. Which currently is " bling bling down south hip hop". 3-4 hip hop stations and zero dance stations and you wonder why the beach is flooded with gold teeth, rims and oversized t-shirts. These kids refer to EDM as " techno shit". They are not being educated or exposed to dance music. There is no new EDM niche being created, no fresh blood and this will ultimately hurt the scene. Our generation can party but for so long. We all have to "grow up" one day. we're not going to go to clubs at the age of 60. And what happens then?

[/quote']

You have hit the nail on the head my friend.

Perfect Bullseye.

Let's hope the right ppl realize this kind of shit sooner rather than later.

8)

PS: Great interview, btw.

Guest pod

93.1 had it's faults, but it was dance music at least on conventional analog radio. Despite the format sucking on a technical and commerical level, it is still what most people listen to. Not everyone's cool enough to have Sirius.

Several things killed it. Too few songs on their playlist, and generally being shunned by the hardcore dance community as too commercial. Frankly it wasn't meant for clubgoers, it was meant for people during the day at like offices and during drive time and such.

It served as a good introduction if you catch my drift. Not everyone started out listening to minimal techno or whatever the current "underground" flavor du jour is.

Guest saintjohn
I'm not a writer by profession.

Ahem.

I thought it was an excellent interview, actually. Then again, Dade's quite quotable.

Guest seandrake

Mods shouldn't this be a sticky? This is history in the making.

Good luck Dade. We worked on many great projects together.

btw.

Going golfing Fri. 3pm shores if you want to join. call me.

S

Guest Philip

Too few songs on their playlist

I think I heard Sarah McLachlan's "Silence" and Motorcycle's "As the Rush Comes" every time I got in the car at lunch

Guest Miss_Digital

not enough exposure is right

lets take WMC as an example

a week long of partying, followed by 30,000+ music festival one of the larget in the US, and artist from around the world

how can that not get any coverage??

mean while you have some rap concert with like 3 act, and its all over entertainment news

BUT IF MY MUSIC IS THE UNDERGROUND,

THE UNDERGROUND IS WHERE I WANNA BE

Guest HouseJunkie

BUT IF MY MUSIC IS THE UNDERGROUND,

THE UNDERGROUND IS WHERE I WANNA BE

Word.

So what if america doesn't like our music, we love it with a passion an so does the creators and DJs that just do is for the love of the music.

Guest pod

If America doesn't like "your" music, you're gonna run out of venues with which to hear it, and be relegated to a hole in the wall with a clock radio for a sound system.

Dance music needs mainstream support, like Dade said in his interview.

I was glad to do this, because I knew he'd come back with things that needed to be said. Believe me, he would have loved to have booked "your" DJs, he knows them all or knows of them. But due to the market, it wouldn't make economic sense.

Be inclusive, not exclusive. I've gone over this before, but what I hate about "underground" events is that I feel unwelcome because I represent a noted media outlet, or worse yet, "those guys who booked rock bands with our DJs!". Grant it, the promoters and DJs themselves are very friendly and cordial, but when I try to "work the crowd" as it were, I'm not getting a friendly vibe at all more often than not.

The fanbase can't see the big picture, and look at the mainstream as "selling out".

Dance music can't stay undergound, if you guys want places like Space, Nocturnal, and so forth to keep on booking DJs and performers of that nature.