Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Dade S. Retires from the club business..

V. Barbarino

Guest james stratus

I'm sure Dade needs a rest as "busy" would be an understatement for him. As for the non exposure of dance music there is some out of club exposure but it is minimal and still underground.

Question:

Does the Underground show still come on on WVUM on friday nights? I don't listen to the radio at all and I can;t get that station on the beach for anything.

Anyway you still have the EDM show on WVUM (UM's sation), the EDM show on FIU's station, and the friday night EDM show on Nova's station. It's there but unless you are adventurous with the FM dial you are not going to find them like I did back in 1992 right around when Duncan first started that show.

There are no more raves! Atleast not like they used to be and far less that even really qualify. There are hundreds of thousands of us that are into the music and club scene because of that.

The days of the Hot Mix 5 in chicago, Tony Humpheries on WBLS 15 odd years ago, Liquid Todd's Solid State, the Global DJ Broadcast, and countless other weekly radio mix shows are over! Or atleast the interest in syndication is not there to have them on national commercial radio stations.

There are a shit load of EDM stations on the internet but people don't know to look for it if they don't know or care if they exist.

MTV used to play videos from Dee Lite, Robin S, Cece Peniston, KLF, and Snap in regular rotation in the early 90's. That is why everyone knows Dee Lite! ;) They had there AMP video show later. Now it's ALL Hip Hip :( You can't even see Dance Videos on MTV 2... or 3...

MTV Europe has (or had) a friday Dance Video Mix show (yes they actually VJed the videos, pretty cool the first time I saw it).

Just boils down to no commercial recognition of real dance music since mainstream record companies bet on and lost a lot of money in the late 90's on Dance music because they didn't know how to market it.

So... what are we going to do now 8)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ramon

93.1 had it's faults, but it was dance music at least on conventional analog radio. Despite the format sucking on a technical and commerical level, it is still what most people listen to. Not everyone's cool enough to have Sirius.

Several things killed it. Too few songs on their playlist, and generally being shunned by the hardcore dance community as too commercial. Frankly it wasn't meant for clubgoers, it was meant for people during the day at like offices and during drive time and such.

It served as a good introduction if you catch my drift. Not everyone started out listening to minimal techno or whatever the current "underground" flavor du jour is.

its definitely not minimal techno its minimal trance .. get it right!

Guest Miss_Digital
There are hundreds of thousands of us that are into the music and club scene because of that.

these are "my people"

party people from all over the world

;D

Guest Miss_Digital

If America doesn't like "your" music, you're gonna run out of venues with which to hear it, and be relegated to a hole in the wall with a clock radio for a sound system.

Dance music needs mainstream support, like Dade said in his interview.

I was glad to do this, because I knew he'd come back with things that needed to be said. Believe me, he would have loved to have booked "your" DJs, he knows them all or knows of them. But due to the market, it wouldn't make economic sense.

Be inclusive, not exclusive. I've gone over this before, but what I hate about "underground" events is that I feel unwelcome because I represent a noted media outlet, or worse yet, "those guys who booked rock bands with our DJs!". Grant it, the promoters and DJs themselves are very friendly and cordial, but when I try to "work the crowd" as it were, I'm not getting a friendly vibe at all more often than not.

The fanbase can't see the big picture, and look at the mainstream as "selling out".

Dance music can't stay undergound, if you guys want places like Space, Nocturnal, and so forth to keep on booking DJs and performers of that nature.

thats why i'm complaining our artists NEED SUPPORT

Let the light shine on them for once

(they need to feed thier kids too LOL)

BUT even if it never reaches that point

The underground is where i'll be

Guest pod

Question:

Does the Underground show still come on on WVUM on friday nights? I don't listen to the radio at all and I can;t get that station on the beach for anything.

- I think so? Check www.wvum.org ?

Anyway you still have the EDM show on WVUM (UM's sation), the EDM show on FIU's station, and the friday night EDM show on Nova's station. It's there but unless you are adventurous with the FM dial you are not going to find them like I did back in 1992 right around when Duncan first started that show.

- FIU's station has zero range. I was 2 miles from the transmitter when I lived out that way and didn't get it for shit.

There are no more raves! Atleast not like they used to be and far less that even really qualify. There are hundreds of thousands of us that are into the music and club scene because of that.

- Several factors can be blamed for that. The RAVE act of the early part of this decade, the fact that that age group grew up and into clubs, and the fact that there was no generation of kids to replace them after they moved to clubs. Certain well-produced parties were fun, but I found the bulk of them dirty and downright dangerous.

The days of the Hot Mix 5 in chicago, Tony Humpheries on WBLS 15 odd years ago, Liquid Todd's Solid State, the Global DJ Broadcast, and countless other weekly radio mix shows are over! Or atleast the interest in syndication is not there to have them on national commercial radio stations.

- I've got a Bad Boy Bill set from '88 off of WBLS. Real good shit.

There are a shit load of EDM stations on the internet but people don't know to look for it if they don't know or care if they exist.

MTV used to play videos from Dee Lite, Robin S, Cece Peniston, KLF, and Snap in regular rotation in the early 90's. That is why everyone knows Dee Lite! ;) They had there AMP video show later. Now it's ALL Hip Hip :( You can't even see Dance Videos on MTV 2... or 3...

- Utah Saints had a video on regular rotation on MTV2 for awhile. I remember MTV2 was created to air music videos. Now it's re-runs of Beavis and Butt-Head and Andy Milonakis.

Dance Music is hard to market. There's no "star" per se, since the tracks are largely instrumental. The "star" is whichever DJ is dropping said track. How the hell do you market that to the mainstream audience? "OK this guy we're hyping actually didn't make these tracks..."

DJ/Producer is the salvation, and I would dare to say live performance. Making "personalities" out of producers is a definite need. I know most production types would rather not go that route, but there's bound to be a few egoes out there that would.

Guest Untouchable Chino

dade is not only a great bussiness person..but one of the classiest individuals i have had the pleasure working with.. i have gotten to know him more and more the past year and i wish him and his wife all the success in their endeavours..hope we work again soon my friend...best of luck buddy...

Guest ramon

you forgot Jeff Mills as 'The Wizard' back in the day in Detroit doing his radio show.

The Underground is a great show I haven't listened to it in years, but Greg used to do a bunch of stuff on there in the mid to late 90's.

Radio would be great. Hell give me 3 hours on the radio and I'll do an essential selection type show for Miami. People don't understand its in Europe's culture its not in ours. Here people rather bling bling and get 26" rims. In Europe its about getting your mates together for a large night out at Fabric or The End.

Anyone who's serious about the radio idea let me know. :P

Too few songs on their playlist

I think I heard Sarah McLachlan's "Silence" and Motorcycle's "As the Rush Comes" every time I got in the car at lunch

:-X :-X :-X and to think i liked as the rush comes the first time i heard armin play it live..... 93.1 killed it ....

IMHO as much as we love these djs there is only one group that really has made it big time even though they are quasi/dance

and thats Depeche mode.......

everyone else is playin catchup

those into dancemusic if just for a little bit know who Paul Oakenfold, PVD, Tiesto and maybe who Morillo is but for the masses of uninformed (have never heard of people like Heather, Derrick Carter, Mark Farina) etc...... its not their fault but lack of support from media outlets

in many ways thank god for file sharing .. it may hurt the sales of artists cds in stores but it gets people listening to talent they have never heard of before and thus gets them into the clubs when these artists come to their "neck of the woods"

Guest Spankmeister

How did this topic get from Dade taking a break to how to market EDM better???

Anyway, good luck Dade in your future endeavors... ;D

On the threadjack...Basically what killed the clubbing industry in the US was the RAVE ACT...I know in many smaller markets, people were and still are afraid to book EDM acts because of the legal concequences...

That, and clubbing being seen as a bunch of cracked out people listening to music that you wouldn't 'understand' unless you were on drugs...that is the mentality of a majority of the US...that is a fact.

Except for a few liberal pockets in the US, the majority of people here don't 'get' clubbing...they hear tracks everyday on commercials, or see clubs on E!, but they just don't 'get' it...sad but true and they common folks are the ones that you need in the club because they are going to be paying the door...

Don't get me started on this topic!...LOL

Guest Cosmigonon

From the interview:

CJ: Certain pundits have been writing the obituary for dance music in Miami and in the US as a whole' date=' do you see this? Or are we in yet another downturn in the cycle of things?

DS: I really hope we are just in a downturn. There are so many talented people in the “Dance†music industry and I would love for them to get the recognition they deserve. The problem in America is lack of exposure. There is no Dance on MTV. There is no Dance on mainstream radio. The only exposure that American kids get to Dance is at clubs. The problem is that by the time they get old enough to go to a club, they are already into Hip-Hop or some other form of music. We need exposure to young audiences in a way that glamorizes this scene. We need to highlight the artists. If this doesn’t happen soon, I fear it’s over.

Not enough exposure. I've felt this way for the longest. Even though 93.1 used to play cheesy generic dance music, at least we had a "dance" station. The upcoming generation of clubgoers gets influenced by what they hear on the radio. Which currently is " bling bling down south hip hop". 3-4 hip hop stations and zero dance stations and you wonder why the beach is flooded with gold teeth, rims and oversized t-shirts. These kids refer to EDM as " techno shit". They are not being educated or exposed to dance music. There is no new EDM niche being created, no fresh blood and this will ultimately hurt the scene. Our generation can party but for so long. We all have to "grow up" one day. we're not going to go to clubs at the age of 60. And what happens then?

Everybody wants to open a new EDM club with a patio and afterhours, but nobody realizes that without creating a core audience to replace the aging clubbers, edm will not survive. The powers that be in this scene need to get together, find some investors, make a deal with Clear Channel and open up an EDM radio station ASAP before it's too late, instead of opening a bunch of mega clubs that cannot be filled or that will end up becoming hip hop clubs. By no means am I trying to sound negative but without this, I don't see this scene getting any better.

[/quote']

Great post!!! :)

Guest coach

LOL! You guys are so funny. I remember when 93.1 played good (read EDM and not whiner-rock) music, I used to be a big supporter of them because I said exactly that. That it was a stepping stone for new EDM fans. And you all to nearly a person, continued to denigrate the station for playing commercial crap. Had many arguments on this. I even remember the great cheering that went on when it went rock, on both boards. Now look what happened.

Oh, and good luck Dade. Come back home to your HOUSE soon!

Guest durrtylexx

good luck dade

btw miami needs 18 and over nightclubs that play edm,

friday and saturday nights.

hadn't the edge been 18 and over who knows if i would had liked edm.

Guest pod

Good luck with that. Not for nothing, but have you seen kids around these parts these days? What sensible club owner would want that?

18+ is fine on paper, but then like with 21+ you have people underage sneaking in.

Guest noelsanger

Best of everything Dade. You deserve a break for sure. Thanks for all you have done for the scene!

Respect,

Noel

:)

Guest Cosmigonon

You're all snobs. Just because you're 21 makes you better than an 19 year old? Please, pretty much in the rest of the world the legal drinking age is 18 and we don't have any problem with that, or are you gonna tell me that 18 year old american kids are stupid just because they're american?? ::)

Guest djqba

18 year olds are old enough to vote, serve and die for their country but not old enough to drink :-\ yeah i know madd, sadd and the other adds excuses for lack of common sense and talking to your kids about the dangers of drinking and driving or just not paying attention to where your kids are.

Guest LeVeL

I agree everyone tends to think that only because your not over 21 they think your either into trance, a raver kid, or not intelligent enough to get into EDM.

I got in EDM when I was 13 years old and loved the music then and knew who was good and who was not. I knew which clubs were hoping and which were not. I remember being 19 years old and sneaking into Shadow Lounge on a Saturday night to see John OO Fleming for the Godskitchen Party and I was mature enough to like the music and party and even drink ;).

But I agree kids 18 and over deserve a place to get their EDM fix not just Drum and Bass or Breakbeat either. I mean a venue that will provide House, Trance,Minimal ,Techno.

Guest pod

or are you gonna tell me that 18 year old american kids are stupid just because they're american?? ::)

Uh-huh.

Go out to Sunset Place tonight. You'll see 15-year old girls and 19-year olds that love them.

The drinking age is lower or non-enforced in other countries because alcohol is a culture thing. Kids are given wine with dinner when they are very young, and taught to respect drinking.

Here it is demonized and practically criminalized until you are 21.

Kids aren't taught to take it in moderation, which is why you see underage drinking being such an issue. Underage drinkers don't have a glass of wine with dinner, they go out and practically poison themselves.

And yeah we're snobs, we'd rather not bump elbows with people like that.

Guest Adam Singer

who really cares if it is mainstream or not

personally id rather it go further away from it to wherein we arent a part of commercialized society at all

lets not turn electronic music into yet another, boring, over-hyped, overmarketed, and commercialized crapfest like everything else in this country

not to say i dont like those things, they make plenty of $ for me, but id rather electronic music be left pure and untouched by corporate america...lets not equate mainstream with success, please!

Guest Cosmigonon

or are you gonna tell me that 18 year old american kids are stupid just because they're american?? ::)

Uh-huh.

Go out to Sunset Place tonight. You'll see 15-year old girls and 19-year olds that love them.

The drinking age is lower or non-enforced in other countries because alcohol is a culture thing. Kids are given wine with dinner when they are very young, and taught to respect drinking.

Here it is demonized and practically criminalized until you are 21.

Kids aren't taught to take it in moderation, which is why you see underage drinking being such an issue. Underage drinkers don't have a glass of wine with dinner, they go out and practically poison themselves.

And yeah we're snobs, we'd rather not bump elbows with people like that.

That's nonsense. Maybe with the exception of a pair of coutries, alcohol is not served at dinner to any teenager in Latin America, so that doesn't explain it.

Guest pod

Well I'm definitely going on those pair of countries. My own father was served wine with dinner when he was under 18, and he's from Colombia.

Europeans, it's a regular thing. I'm not saying 8 year olds are downing Patrón, but alcohol is definitely introduced to people in some form, when they are not of the age of what we would consider majority.

Here in the states, it was introduced at a younger age up until the 21+ law took effect in the mid-80s. Again, I'm not talking hardcore drinking, but maybe a 16-year old sharing a beer with his father after mowing the lawn.

Here's a good place to start on global drinking age.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_age