Clubplanet Nightlife Community

ATTN SALEEN

Guest biznation00

Guest pod

Let me guess, you probably do something else during the day in order to earn the bulk of your income.

It's hard to be about the music when the music isn't paying the rent at the moment.

Most DJs and promoters I know outside of the very best have to make concessions to make ends meet if they want to keep doing what they do as a full time job. Promoters have to limit their guestlists, enforce guy/girl ratios, so on and so forth. DJs have to drop in a floor-filler or two and not be on some "educational" mission and risk clearing the dancefloor.

Sometimes I feel like anyone who says "it's all about the music" is a grown up raver.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not 'hating' on any specific style of music, but pretty much just stating how I see things these days.

There's a reason hip-hop promoters and nights pull in mad crowds, and that is because most of them have a good business head on them. I'm not suggesting bling and 30" rims in conjuction with house music, but at the same time, realize why a club will shut down a night.

Calling your potential audience ignorant doesn't help either. If a promoter or DJ is insulting me, you better believe I'm going somewhere else.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, help me understand how everyone perceives the that the scene is failing? Who comprises of the "scene"? The scenesters that go out, win over the door guy, get in free on the list, get breaks on drinks, etc......how are they supporting the scene? Really is their presence alone sufficient to support the amount of money it costs to to book the DJ, pay the staff, provide the liquor and still make money for the owners? Ok granted they are probably not the majority of patrons in the club but how does that qualify them to speak for the rest?

Aren't the people that govern and control the scene the ones that open their wallets when they walk thru those doors? The ones that order bottles, get drunk and listen to DJ Gofukyaself.

Help me out a little here....

Wow ! You seem to know it all. Why dont you open your own club already? I really have to agree with OG here. I have only been on these boards for about 3 weeks and half the people on here are full of shit starting with this saleen guy. Really, i mean it seems like noone on here is in it because they love the music. Its all about drama, rumors, and so forth. Just my opinion.

What exactly are you agreeing with OG on?

I never claimed to know it all, these are simply my observations coming from several different standpoints. I know as well as the next person what its like to be all about the music. Driving an hour south on a monday night, bringing my own equipment, booking DJs, getting home at 4am to be at work at 8:30am FOR NO PAY isn't all about the music? Gimme a break sweetie. Like the board really needs more brown-nosers.

Guest pod

And not for nothing, miss Lorena, I'd bet you a slice of pizza with sausage that either Jackie or "the club legend" could open up and run a club in Miami and the venue would at least make it past the 1st birthday and be in the black.

Also, help me understand how everyone perceives the that the scene is failing? Who comprises of the "scene"? The scenesters that go out, win over the door guy, get in free on the list, get breaks on drinks, etc......how are they supporting the scene? Really is their presence alone sufficient to support the amount of money it costs to to book the DJ, pay the staff, provide the liquor and still make money for the owners? Ok granted they are probably not the majority of patrons in the club but how does that qualify them to speak for the rest?

Aren't the people that govern and control the scene the ones that open their wallets when they walk thru those doors? The ones that order bottles, get drunk and listen to DJ Gofukyaself.

Wow ! You seem to know it all. Why dont you open your own club already? I really have to agree with OG here. I have only been on these boards for about 3 weeks and half the people on here are full of shit starting with this saleen guy. Really, i mean it seems like noone on here is in it because they love the music. Its all about drama, rumors, and so forth. Just my opinion.

we <3 hip hop on this board.

Guest pod

Yeah it's funny, she probably came on here expecting overanalysis of the latest in Burmese disco-techno or something.

We're dramatic here, but it all relates to our scene in general.

Guest swank

Yeah it's funny, she probably came on here expecting overanalysis of the latest in Burmese disco-techno or something.

"It's all about the music man...." (said in the voice of 'cheech marin')

Guest Philip

it seems like noone on here is in it because they love the music. Its all about drama, rumors, and so forth. Just my opinion.

Try the music section then. Awesome podcasts and music discussion. ;)

Guest ramon

dan stop with the hate on techno .. hate on polka or something ... some of us really care about this music and i hate to see it thrashed every single time and people are starting to listen you'll see soon.

funny thing is, people hate this dude, but he ends up being right most of the time...coincidence? ???

Its cause deep down people dont want to hear the truth. The "scene" for anyone who does not make their living by it, is a farce. A way to escape reality. The dj's job and in turn the promoter's and club owner's jobs, are to create that environment where we can go to a different world where we dont have to worry about daily responsabilities. Going against the status quo, Saleen kinda shatters that idyllic view people have of the "scene" therefore, people dont like him. Pretty simple really...

what is this "truth" you speak of?

Jackie, you seem to be very much into this issue...but I dont get your angle..actually, I dont even get the issue..

It seems as if you are saying that Saleen says things that others are afraid to say....or people dont want to know, or are hiding

but what? is he really saying anything?

When I read his posts they seem like unfinished thoughts that go nowhere...with hints that he has confidential information that gives him credibility....but in essence they say nothing..

I know you are a smart person...help me understand where you are coming from...

The issue really doesn't have much to do with Nick or what he says. I agree that says a whole lot of nothing and does it to stir the pot, dropping bits of info that he is fed to back him up.

I think that what i have said is clear enough on what my stance is on the "scene". The people on the dancefloor dont want to be concerned with the business aspect of a club. It shatters their concept that their safe haven isn't governed by the same rules controlling the very aspects of their lives they seek to escape.

One more thing - these in the biz people that everyone falls all over themselves to befriend, do you really think that they will really care or remember who you are when you stop coming to the club for a length of time?

I agree with you on the fact that most people shouldnt be (and dont want to be) aware of the business side of this thing...A dance club should be an escape..and what makes this music great is that you can escape through it..."leave your troubles on the dancefloor!"

I think most in this biz try to keep that off these boards...and that is why they get upset when people want to drag it out on here...If people choose to look into the business side and even go as far as making allegations..it is only natural that industry folk will come on here and set the record straight (as much as they may not want to do it)

As for the "scenesters" and the "scene" etc.... I think you are looking at this as if it were high school or something...You sound like the "rebel" kid that is telling the "nerds" not to hang with the "popular" kids cause they aren't going to invite you to the prom at the end of the year anyway....

You even go as far as calling people brown-nosers?

This is a messageboard dedicated to dance music, events, clubs, nightlife etc...I dont see how "brown-nosing" or "status-quo" applies here....We are all fans of, what in essence, is a counter-culture...You sound like you are very "anti-establishment" ...but I think you are barking up the wrong tree here.

whatever happened to just going out and having a good time...

let's all take a shot, be happy that you have clubs staying open after 2am, variety in music and women, and stfu already

oh that still happens just that people still like to talk shit.

dan stop with the hate on techno .. hate on polka or something ... some of us really care about this music and i hate to see it thrashed every single time and people are starting to listen you'll see soon.

I say you post some more techno sets here on this forum :)

Let me guess, you probably do something else during the day in order to earn the bulk of your income.

It's hard to be about the music when the music isn't paying the rent at the moment.

Most DJs and promoters I know outside of the very best have to make concessions to make ends meet if they want to keep doing what they do as a full time job. Promoters have to limit their guestlists, enforce guy/girl ratios, so on and so forth. DJs have to drop in a floor-filler or two and not be on some "educational" mission and risk clearing the dancefloor.

Sometimes I feel like anyone who says "it's all about the music" is a grown up raver.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not 'hating' on any specific style of music, but pretty much just stating how I see things these days.

There's a reason hip-hop promoters and nights pull in mad crowds, and that is because most of them have a good business head on them. I'm not suggesting bling and 30" rims in conjuction with house music, but at the same time, realize why a club will shut down a night.

Calling your potential audience ignorant doesn't help either. If a promoter or DJ is insulting me, you better believe I'm going somewhere else.

I disagree with most of this post...

for starters...the reason hip-hop nights are succesful is pretty simple....It is THE most popular form of music among (the majority of) the age-group that comprises "clubbers"....Hip-hop is and has been main-stream for some time now...It is popular top-40 music and played at every main-stream club in the US...It is on MTV and radio 24 hours a day...

The pool you are drawing from when you do a hip-hop night is MUCH bigger than when you do a dance music night....I dont think it has anything to do with good business heads...as a matter of fact, I think it takes a much better business man to be able to make a succesful night out of a genre of music that is NEVER on MTV or the radio...and purely exists in a sub-culture that seeks it out..(not to mention I think its much cooler!!!)

I also think a DJ throwing "floor-fillers" is not the one who is helping things...Its the ones pushing the envelope between the floor-fillers that help....Too many DJs stick to the popular tracks..

Yes, as a pro, you must cater to your audience and read the dancefloor...but the way I see it...what is important is the records you play between the floor-fillers....

what seperates the great DJs from the rest is how far they are able to spread out their floor-fillers and how far they can push the envelope in between them...that is how a dancefloor is educated...that is how a scene is created and nurtured...A DJ's goal should be to always get away with as much as they can without loosing the audience's interest..That is how a DJ creates their OWN style and their OWN sound and identity...That way they aren't lumped in with every other cat playing the same 25 songs every night...

I think more of this...and less of what you speak of.. would be much more helpful in the long run...

(ok Im done!! Ive fallen into a CJ binge....must break free!!! ;) )

Guest pod

You're right, it's a tricky balancing act. "How do I keep them dancing without resorting to dropping 'Your Body' or 'Pressure Drop'"?

Ramon, I said "disco-techno" cause I was digging words out of a hat. I have no issue with techno as a musical form.

Too many DJs stick to the popular tracks..

what is important is the records you play between the floor-fillers....

that is how a scene is created and nurtured...A DJ's goal should be to always get away with as much as they can without loosing the audience's interest..That is how a DJ creates their OWN style and their OWN sound and identity...That way they aren't lumped in with every other cat playing the same 25 songs every night...

Well said... I wish every Miami DJ thought this way.

Listen to Doc Martin, Mark Farina or David Morales play an extended set and you'll understand what OG means.

And before anybody says anything, no I'm not kissing the guy's ass. I don't take sides, I defend whoever is right. I quoted him because he's fucking right. Nuff said....

Guest Satan

what seperates the great DJs from the rest is how far they are able to spread out their floor-fillers and how far they can push the envelope in between them..

amen

I don't post a lot but I read a lot on here mostly because my job is boring most of the time. Saleen is ok guy, sometimes he is hatting more then he should but oh well, his posts gets most attention. I think he is cool guy in person even though I never meet him, anyway scene might be dying but Oscar G is in Jax this Saturday and my troubles are going to stay on the dance floor that night, that's good enough for me 8)

Guest Miss_Digital

One more thing - these in the biz people that everyone falls all over themselves to befriend, do you really think that they will really care or remember who you are when you stop coming to the club for a length of time?

NO they just want people to go to there parties

Guest Miss_Digital

I say you post some more techno sets here on this forum :)

techno music threads in miami forum!

Guest Miss_Digital

I disagree with most of this post...

for starters...the reason hip-hop nights are succesful is pretty simple....It is THE most popular form of music among (the majority of) the age-group that comprises "clubbers"....Hip-hop is and has been main-stream for some time now...It is popular top-40 music and played at every main-stream club in the US...It is on MTV and radio 24 hours a day...

The pool you are drawing from when you do a hip-hop night is MUCH bigger than when you do a dance music night....I dont think it has anything to do with good business heads...as a matter of fact, I think it takes a much better business man to be able to make a succesful night out of a genre of music that is NEVER on MTV or the radio...and purely exists in a sub-culture that seeks it out..(not to mention I think its much cooler!!!)

when i say UNDERGROUND this is what i mean

not pop

inorder for me to find a song/track i like

i have to seek it out, searchfor it

i cant just turn on the radio and hear Booka Shade - Night Falls

if it were only that simple

Guest pod

Then you'd bitch about "your" sub-culture being co-opted by the masses.

;D

I say it in jest, but it is true, with some people you can't win.

Then you'd bitch about "your" sub-culture being co-opted by the masses.

;D

I say it in jest, but it is true, with some people you can't win.

Sociology.JPG

sub culture? lol sounds like im back at FIU taking my sociology courses