Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Bling's Official Review of James Holden and Monk @ Pawn Shop(WITH PICS)

Bling

First off let me say i love Pawn shop..... got there early cuz wasnt quite 100% sure how to get there.. i didnt drive there for conference . parked valet ... got to the door and Alan T already there....

Alan T always extremely amicable . we talked for a good amount of time.. then went in....

good to see shawn and nicole :) damn havent seen u two since V's wedding and Global Gathering .....

on to the music

MAIN ROOM

HORRENDOUS OPENERS.... perhaps the worst ive heard all year. it was not even 11 and they were banging it out to holy hell..... wow ..... i wont even talk about it anymore....

went to boutiique where this female dj was throwin down some trance 8) safe to say i stayed in that room till holden took over at 130

James Holden

I know so many of u love him but to me it was just whatever. def not my cup of tea. he had some good quirky tracks that had me dancing....... that and the 5 -6 drinks i had 8).....

finally got the explanation fo "waka waka" music from alex... this was def that lol

went outside cuz wanted some more energy from my sound and holden wasnt doin it for me for the most part.. (at times he did ... when he dropped some quirkier stuff with deep basslines but not enuff)

btw the main room sound was caca..... best sound had to be outside for monk..... bit too loud but overall it had the best sound of the three areas

MONK

damn i gotta say pretty good..... lots of energy..... didnt play as quirky as i thought he would but he had me dancing.... it was hot as hell out there and muggy yet lots were dancing....

really liked him.... first time seeing him as well..

went back inside for a bit then at 330 left..

good size crowd..... it was really slammed around 1 then it kinda got smaller the crowd for some reason.... it wasnt slammed packed but it was more than decent..... some spots it was hard to walk through

all in all a good nite.. got to see lots of u i havent seen like tania :) and some TA's like Melly Mel and Amber :)

tonite my kind of music . if i dare to go out to sobe...... JACKIN HOUSE WHOOOO HOOOOOOOOO LOL

PICS SOON

Guest Cosmigonon

Bling blong, I thought your "official reviews" were the ones posted in the main page of CJ? Wouldn't this be an unnoficial review? ???

Oh, and nice to see you finally reviewing something other than the parties you usually go to, I actually read it. Props to you... ;)

Guest ramon

holden wasn't your cup of tea? i thought you liked minimal techno and he's playing quite a few of those records. ::) holden was prog? are you kidding me?

we had a great time up here in detroit seeing mathew jonson live and then untitled with matthew dear in the 8th floor of a building overlooking detroit.

Guest spinderella7713

I agree that it was almost hard tribal being played in the main room when i got there @ 11....but around 12 when some more heads filtered in it was fabulous. great fing music!!!

Guest rollyp66

I got there around 1:30.... most of you know how I feel about techno..... so I went to the Boutique for a bit the off to the patio to hear Monk who played a dope set as always.

Good seeing you guys out there

Guest Marina22

Glad I didn't go, not really into minimal as much as anything harder in the techno arena. Alex, I need the def. to waka waka music too. :D As far as Monk, never heard him before but what kind of genre or style was he spinning? Have a great weekend b-day peeps!

monk = versatile.. from what ive heard about him he can play house. breaks .. etc

whatever he played it .. i would call it breaks for the most part.... was def something u dont hear in miami every day....

Guest Fez

that nintendo music drove me almost crazy...

i was lookign to hear something similar to the 'Balance 005' cd...but oh well...i had fun anyway

that nintendo music drove me almost crazy...

i was lookign to hear something similar to the 'Balance 005' cd...but oh well...i had fun anyway

lol

smb_1up.png

:P

come out to laundry bar tonite u wont be disappointed ;D

Guest Fez

lol

smb_1up.png

:P

come out to laundry bar tonite u wont be disappointed ;D

i've driven by the area a cpl. times and see it packed...but most likely i'll end up @ Grass or Yagé like almost every saturday ;)

Guest james stratus

Holden played mostly deep glitchy prog, not really techno at all, but there was some minimal techno. He was pretty good, but I just wasn't really feeling most it. The sound system in the Main room really didn't cut it at all. Sure you could talk but after I went outside and heard that system going and then came back in, the sound inside really seemed lacking in fullness and volume.

The back room had good music through out the night and sounded pretty good. A bit fuller than the main room, but.... Powered Mackies ???

The outside was pretty cool. and I enjoyed all the DJs I got to hear; Duchess (Kathy), Monk, and Mr. Mendez. I actually ran into some people I hadn't seen in years from my old rave days. It's just too bad that it was sooooooooooooooooo hot last night. It was a good night overall I have to say. I definitely had a good time and really enjoyed the diversity in music that is lacking these days in Miami.

Guest james stratus

Holden sucks and this party had zero to do with the Pawn Shop, they didn't pay a dime for it..

It was a Womb party.

And, a little advice to Pawn Shop...

Get your drink prices right! I ordered the same drink in all three areas and the price varied +/- $1 in each. Same tip goes for Nocturnal. That shit is shady!

Guest 02Music.com

the set was definitely out there. Unique, thought it was cool. Not everyone was feeling it, but those that were on the dancefloor were diehard proggers. There going to be a big name DJ act @ Pawn Shop every friday now???

Guest MYST

First off let me say i love Pawn shop..... got there early cuz wasnt quite 100% sure how to get there.. i didnt drive there for conference . parked valet ... got to the door and Alan T already there....

Alan T always extremely amicable . we talked for a good amount of time.. then went in....

good to see shawn and nicole :) damn havent seen u two since V's wedding and Global Gathering .....

on to the music

MAIN ROOM

HORRENDOUS OPENERS.... perhaps the worst ive heard all year. it was not even 11 and they were banging it out to holy hell..... wow ..... i wont even talk about it anymore....

went to boutiique where this female dj was throwin down some trance 8) safe to say i stayed in that room till holden took over at 130

James Holden

I know so many of u love him but to me it was just whatever. def not my cup of tea. he had some good quirky tracks that had me dancing....... that and the 5 -6 drinks i had 8).....

finally got the explanation fo "waka waka" music from alex... this was def that lol

went outside cuz wanted some more energy from my sound and holden wasnt doin it for me for the most part.. (at times he did ... when he dropped some quirkier stuff with deep basslines but not enuff)

btw the main room sound was caca..... best sound had to be outside for monk..... bit too loud but overall it had the best sound of the three areas

MONK

damn i gotta say pretty good..... lots of energy..... didnt play as quirky as i thought he would but he had me dancing.... it was hot as hell out there and muggy yet lots were dancing....

really liked him.... first time seeing him as well..

went back inside for a bit then at 330 left..

good size crowd..... it was really slammed around 1 then it kinda got smaller the crowd for some reason.... it wasnt slammed packed but it was more than decent..... some spots it was hard to walk through

all in all a good nite.. got to see lots of u i havent seen like tania :) and some TA's like Melly Mel and Amber :)

tonite my kind of music . if i dare to go out to sobe...... JACKIN HOUSE WHOOOO HOOOOOOOOO LOL

PICS SOON

Vibes were great!

Music SUCKED ASS!!..

c'mon Miami..is this the best you got?

If so....time to relocate.

and I'm just speaking the truth, I had to consistently go outside, the patio was the only place with some energy..

otherwise, looked like a bunch of "followers" swayin to the life sucking beats..

Otherwise, aside from the most important thing being a dissapointment, well, Luis had the heart to throw down a few quality tracks, with atleast some emotion and energy.

I don't understand the state of things here, seems like a bunch of sheep just droning to this mindless, dull, and boring music..

BAA BAA BAA

atleast some good people made for the night!

Respect to Wes and the Womb Crew!

They are always pure class..

Til next time

(or not)

Maybe ya'll can check my next party..be rest assured...you won't need pills..

just thrills!!

Peace

the set was definitely out there. Unique, thought it was cool. Not everyone was feeling it, but those that were on the dancefloor were diehard proggers. There going to be a big name DJ act @ Pawn Shop every friday now???

No, it's not worth them booking the big djs... You'll see a few from time to time, but overall, the numbers don't make sense to book djs these days.

No, it's not worth them booking the big djs... You'll see a few from time to time, but overall, the numbers don't make sense to book djs these days.

what????

dude the place was PACKED.