Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Ivano, Oscar G, & Acosta in the Herald Today...

Guest Adam Singer

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bootstah

huh ?

lol @ this thread ..

is just like when someone asks you "what kind of music do you play?"

like Oscar said, the best answer is "if it is good music i'll play it" it is just the way it is ..

nothing better than Bob Marley at 6am in the main room at Space :)

Guest JMT

Miami has no "sound" as hard as Oscar tried to preach about it there is still no Miami sound.. Well if you consider gun shots followed by cursing in spanish a " miami sound" well then, you could make an argument that is a "miami sound"...

ha ha

Guest ramon

"Hey Mr Dj just let the beats play" and "I like techno, I like electro, I like retro"

new record doing the rounds at the moment as played Troy Pierce @ m-nus beach party in Barcelona.

Guest Devilicious

blah blah blah ::)

sorry you people got bent out of shape, but please, try and see the bigger picture here

Guest Kitana_One

blah blah blah ::)

sorry you people got bent out of shape, but please, try and see the bigger picture here

Now, I'm not getting "bent out of shape" here. I'm just trying to have an intellectual conversation whilst trying to enlighten people. I'm also not trying to start any arguments either. Some of this is a generalised statement which is not aimed towards you,.. but I have to ask this, as welll as point out a few things in the process since it inspired a few points of introspect...

What bigger picture?

It's pretty cut and dry.

There are people and companies out there that exploit and bastardise whatever they see fit in order to market the latest trends to the unsuspecting masses. We simply don't appreciate it being done to us. Mainly because our music matters so much to us and it's not just the "flavour of the weak" (pun intended) to us. Where are we missing this "bigger picture" that you speak of?

None of us would dare call our music "house" ,.. or 'trance',.. or "insert other genre here",.. which would actually be the more profitable for us if we really wanted to sell some records. Especially considering that house and trance are the biggest sellers in electronic music outside of rap. We don't do it mainly because we're not that genre of music. We do what we do and call it what it is. We don't try and appeal to masses in a state of "if they don't get it lets just change the name, repackage it and see if they buy the same old crap again". Electro has been Electro for over 20 years. Electro has been one of the very few genres to not basterdise itself with the pilferation of other titles. Trance has done it, House,... Breaks,... you name it. The funny part about it is that most of these genres' music has hardly changed at all reagrdles of what name they tack on to it. House still sounds like "Boom Tisk Boom Tisk Boom Tisk Boom Tisk" over the course of 15 years. That's what makes house music what it is and no matter what you do to it it wil always sound like that because that's what defines it as house music. House music still sounds like house music and trance still sounds like trance. If it were just called trance, or just house,.. we probably wouldn't have a problem with it.

Now,.. how about this for a bigger picture.....

Some people out there may listen to what's being improperly labeled as 'electro' by someone or some company and decide "hey, I don't really care for this "electro" stuff." when in reality,.. what they heard was house music and it very possibly scared off another individual who may actually care for what we do (yes, it is entirely possible that there are people out there that really don't like house music, beleive it or not). It's crap like that which leaves a bad taste in peoples mouths. I don't really think producers of other types of musicwould really appreciate something like that being done to their music either.

We wouldn't have a problem with it if it weren't for the fact that when the trend of attaching the word "electro" to everything you can shake a stick to is all done with and people out there will just say that "electro" is "so five minutes ago" and we're stuck with the aftermath while we're stilll producing the real deal and have that many less people to entertain with our particular style of music because some blockhead DJ, Producer, Club, Record Label or Marketing Agency wasn't getting enough attention in "the scene" to make a name doing what they really do and being honest about it.

Are you saying we're supposed to be supportive of this being done?

And since when has being passionate about the music you love been a bad thing?