Clubplanet Nightlife Community

SUPERMAN RETURNS... review :)

I LOVED THE FLICK.. I thought it was pretty cute... ;D

It was hard at first to see Superman played by a new guy.. and even seeing lex, lois and jimmy as all new peeps.. but the guy that played superman grew on me.

No one and i mean NO ONE can replace Christopher Reeve in that role... especially as clark kent.. the new guy just doesn't have that natural goofiness that reeve had.. but, i thought overall the kid was good. He's hot, which helps ;D

Kevin Spacey did a great lex luther.. his voice and some of his mannerism's were very gene hackman.. but come on.. gene was made for that role ;)

Kate Bosworth is too hot to be lois lane.. not that i'm complaining or anything.... and not knocking margot kidder. lol

I have to admit.. hearing the score to the movie got me worked up.. me and slick held hands for the opening theme song during the beginning - yes we are huge geeks. :P I couldn't help but hum the theme music every time it was on... it took me back to my childhood and the memories i had watching Superman when i was a kid.. I laughed a lot and i even felt emotional at times..

anyway, if you can understand that the new superman movie isn't necessarily a replacement to the old, rather an addition - you will like the flick. It definately kept the door open for more superman movies.. and i would like to see this hottie new superman guy in some more movie roles... (yummy ;D )

Hell the original superman came out before half of this board was even born (superman came out in 1978 and superman II came out in 1980, FYI). LMFAO

Thanks SLICK for meeting up at the movies.. yer the bestest ;) Oh and by the way, it was superman II when superman fights Zod and the other two cronies at the Fortress of Solitude.. and i'm pretty sure Lex was in the hizzouse.. thats how he knew about the fortress and the power of the crystals ;)

Guest Slide On The Ice

So it was Superman 2 then. But it was the other Kryptonian villians who Supes was fighting. Lex was just an observer, cause he didn't have any powers to match Supes. But I understand what you were telling me, about how he knew about the controls. I need to rent that flick and watch it again. Although I probably have it on old VCR tapes with the first one.

I'm glad you enjoyed the flick with Slick. I had a great time too. :) Regarding other movies in the future, anytime anywhere Lola. ;)

So it was Superman 2 then. But it was the other Kryptonian villians who Supes was fighting. Lex was just an observer, cause he didn't have any powers to match Supes. But I understand what you were telling me, about how he knew about the controls. I need to rent that flick and watch it again. Although I probably have it on old VCR tapes with the first one.

I'm glad you enjoyed the flick with Slick. I had a great time too. :) Regarding other movies in the future, anytime anywhere Lola. ;)

Lex was the one egging the other 3 villans to take on superman... i remember the fight at the fortress of solitude... it was a good scene.

You'll remember as soon as you see part II.

Guest Slide On The Ice

Lex was the one egging the other 3 villans to take on superman... i remember the fight at the fortress of solitude... it was a good scene.

You'll remember as soon as you see part II.

Oh yeah, I remember the egging now. Or maybe I'm thinking of the eggs sunnyside up that I had for breakfast at Denny's a little while ago. ::)

Guest ILLMATIC

General Zod and crew was in part 1. Superman's daddy (Jor-El) was sending them to the phantom zone.

ok saw the flick went to the earliest showing

ok i love the theme it gave me chillz . flashbacks to childhood

straight to point

1. lois lane sucked ass she wasnt that hot in the original and she was not that nice like this one. lois was always a smart ass and tough as nailz

2. lex luthor- kevin spacey was awesome but hes no gene hackman

3. superman- whatever the kids name is he looks like a young chris reeves esp as kent..

still no one is superman except for reeves

good story... only thing is WTF SUPERMAN SAID : "CLARK WHO?"

ummmmmmmm wasnt the ploy in the original that kent and superman were best buds and kent got all the scoops on where superman would be so lois could go and report on it?

also the fact that superman had a kid was kinda silly... though i guess it happened when he shagged her when they went to niagra falls in original.

ok umm the end was sappy with the kid kissing his forehead and then supes goin to his house.... thank god he didnt return the favor with a kiss on his forehead

all in all a good flick. better than expected

love marlon brando's voice over..... he shall be missed

they should have done a IN MEMORY OF THE REEVES FAMILY AT END OF CREDITS. I WAITED TILL THE END TO SEE IF THEY WOULD.....

love how they portrayed supes xray ability to see thru walls and stuff. thats somethign they never showed in the original 4....

yeah this movie was way better than than crap xmen lol

they should have done a IN MEMORY OF THE REEVES FAMILY AT END OF CREDITS. I WAITED TILL THE END TO SEE IF THEY WOULD.....

Bling, you didn't stay long enough.. they did say they made the movie with respect to and in loving memory of Christopher AND Dana Reeve. Ask Slick, he pointed it out to me and i saw it ;)

doh!

Nice review.. see i felt the same way about kate bosworth.. first off, she was too hot to be Lois Lane.. and Lois was a huge smart ass... this Lois wasn't..

haha I was also a little caught off guard with the "clark" who comment.. lol

ok quick superman quiestion which was the superman that clark fights his alter ego. when he gave up his power cuz he loved lois....

that was the one with Zod part 2 right?

the fight in the junkyard ?

and part 3 was when supes fought that living machine crap at end and the robot lady lol

and 4 was that shitty sun guy

just want to be sure

Guest ILLMATIC

ok quick superman quiestion which was the superman that clark fights his alter ego. when he gave up his power cuz he loved lois....

and part 3 was when supes fought that living machine crap at end and the robot lady lol

just want to be sure

He fights his alter ego in part 3. The junkyard played a part.

He gave up his powers in part 2 where he battled Zod and crew.

You are correct about part 3 and 4 but those were the worse movies. I can lend you the DVD's if you want.

just want to be sure

He fights his alter ego in part 3. The junkyard played a part.

He gave up his powers in part 2 where he battled Zod and crew.

You are correct about part 3 and 4 but those were the worse movies. I can lend you the DVD's if you want.

3 isnt so bad then. i like when he fights his alter ego... part 4 suckeddd

2 was the best

Guest ILLMATIC

1. lois lane sucked ass she wasnt that hot in the original and she was not that nice like this one. lois was always a smart ass and tough as nailz

2. lex luthor- kevin spacey was awesome but hes no gene hackman

1. Lois Lane is ok. Can you imagine if they picked someone like Rosie O’Donnell?

2. I don't like Gene Hackman has Lex Luthor. Especially when they gave him that idiodic side kicks Otis.

Guest swirlundergrounder

General Zod and crew was in part 1. Superman's daddy (Jor-El) was sending them to the phantom zone.

No General Zod and his crew were released from the Phantom Zone in part II

Guest Slide On The Ice

No General Zod and his crew were released from the Phantom Zone in part II

You're both right. Zod and his 2 bitches were put into the Phantom Zone in Supes 1, and they got free from the PZ in Supes 2.

Guest Davenavarro10

Did I watch a different movie than you guys did? I thought Superman Returns was average at best. For one thing the movie was too long. I will agree that Kate Bosworth doesn't cut it as Lois Lane. I think she's too young, and that they should've chosen an actress that is naturally dark haired. Kevin Spacey didn't impress me very much as Lex Luthor. And the I think that Brandon Routh did a good job as Superman/Clark Kent. One thing I did like was that Clark Kent wasn't a bumbling idiot like he was in the old movies. Christopher Reeve played him like a kook, a spaz. My main complaint about this movie was that there wasn't enough action. Sure Superman flew around alot and carried heavy things, but that was it. I would give Superman Returns 2 and a half stars. Batman Begins was much, much better.

Guest swirlundergrounder

Did I watch a different movie than you guys did? I thought Superman Returns was average at best. For one thing the movie was too long. I will agree that Kate Bosworth doesn't cut it as Lois Lane. I think she's too young, and that they should've chosen an actress that is naturally dark haired. Kevin Spacey didn't impress me very much as Lex Luthor. And the I think that Brandon Routh did a good job as Superman/Clark Kent. One thing I did like was that Clark Kent wasn't a bumbling idiot like he was in the old movies. Christopher Reeve played him like a kook, a spaz. My main complaint about this movie was that there wasn't enough action. Sure Superman flew around alot and carried heavy things, but that was it. I would give Superman Returns 2 and a half stars. Batman Begins was much, much better.

Ok..Based onthis review I'm not going to see it. Batman Begins was great!!

Did they make this superman movie dark like the new Batman movie? That would have been cool..

Saw it last night. It makes a good complement to the old school version. I like how they modernized it, but still stayed true to it's roots without alieniating fans of the original SM. Not perfect but definitely worth seeing.

Guest Davenavarro10

Hey Terry don't take my word for it. I suggest you go watch the movie and make up your own mind. I just liked Batman Begins because it had tons of Action and figthing. I also liked the fact that Batman is a dark character. He's troubled, complex. Superman on the other hand has always been sort of boring to me. He's a boyscout. One thing they tried to do in this film is make him out to be like an outsider, an outcast. Sure he looks human, but he knows that he isn't. He knows that he's different. Sort of like what they did in the first X-men. I'm not saying that Superman's portrayed as a freak or a mutant in this movie, but like I said, he knows that he isn't like everyone else.

Guest swirlundergrounder

Hey Terry don't take my word for it. I suggest you go watch the movie and make up your own mind. I just liked Batman Begins because it had tons of Action and figthing. I also liked the fact that Batman is a dark character. He's troubled, complex. Superman on the other hand has always been sort of boring to me. He's a boyscout. One thing they tried to do in this film is make him out to be like an outsider, an outcast. Sure he looks human, but he knows that he isn't. He knows that he's different. Sort of like what they did in the first X-men. I'm not saying that Superman's portrayed as a freak or a mutant in this movie, but like I said, he knows that he isn't like everyone else.

I love how they re-made Batman to be dark and took the sillyness out of the Batman Movie legacy that it was known for...

Fudge it I'll go check out Superman..

Guest Slide On The Ice

I just though about something Lola. You call me Slick because of my name on CP, but nobody here knows me as Slick, so they probably don't know that you mean me. I'm going to PM DaVe and ask him to change my name on CP to Slide, anyway, because I prefer that name anyway. ;D

Guest james stratus

One problem I had with this movie is that even though there is no Ms. Teschmacher, Lex never yells "Ms. Kowalski" for Parker Posey's character who is really the same character. Also that Superman doesn't know who she is ???

no you watched the same movie, you just have a different opinion ;)

the new guy didn't do a good job as clark kent IMO... christopher Reeve had clark down to a science.. he was a great superman... sooo sexy in that tight outfit. :drool: LOL

the fact there was less action was great imo... i can't stand movies today - they are sooo fake with all the special effects... i like simple story line, simple movie. this was both IMO.

kate bosworth was a terrible choice for lois lane, considering lois lane was played by a 35+ something margot kidder in the originals.

btw, i never saw Batman returns.... i've only seen batman 1 with the michael keaton.

I just though about something Lola. You call me Slick because of my name on CP, but nobody here knows me as Slick, so they probably don't know that you mean me. I'm going to PM DaVe and ask him to change my name on CP to Slide, anyway, because I prefer that name anyway. ;D

i perfer slick and will always call you slick or slickster.

so the rest of CJ will just have to deal with that. LOL

• 2 weeks later...
Guest swirlundergrounder

I saw it tonight and I liked it more than I expected to like it. There wasn't to much action but there was action when there needed to be action. There was tension when there needed to be tension and there was emotion when there needed to be emotion.

(SPOILER PARAGRAPH)That kid turning out to be his was something that I did not expect. I liked how that all tied in at the end.

I can't really compare this to Batman begins becuz imo they were totally different movies.

I would like to see a sequel but it's not going to happen. They spent $260 million on this and in it's 3rd or 4th week it's only earned $160 million at the box office. On top of that Pirates Of The Carrabiean is out now which is cutting into their numbers at the box office.. So Superman is not going to make very much money unless it bounces back with it's DVD sales...

I would recommend this movie to pretty much anyone who is into comic book storys and the Superman saga...