Clubplanet Nightlife Community

tiesto at Bang Music Fest?

Guest hiram

Guest ramon

Not necessarily acceptable' date=' the MTV crowd could care less about who did the production, remix, or backing programming on an album, but it lends a mainstream artist some underground 'cred', which holds up in the music world, and gives you that last "10 percent", if you will.

[/quote']

But it still gives credit to the artist or Dj who produced the album. Just look at Luciano who produced Madonna last album. Just look at William Orbit who produced the ray of Light album for Madonna. Oakenfold who was another guy who produced some tracks for Madonna. Look at BT who produced that N'Sync Album Pop, which was one of their most successful albums.

Look at Dj Bliss from Faithless who produced some tracks for Dido first album. The list goes on and one, the EDM guys have produced great albums for mainstream artist. Eventhough they dont get enough credit they are still recognized for their efforts and acourse it opens the doors for collaborations in the future for that Dj to produce with that artist a EDM track.

Its all about getting your name out there. Gabriel and dresden did the soundtrack for Brokeback Mountain and acourse Dj's and artist lend their beats to video games and commercials.

Jacque Lu Cont not Luciano produced Madonna's last album.

Luciano producing Madonna would be intresting though. ;)

Ya listenin' Madge get the man to do a reeemix.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Miss_Digital

MUCH RESPECT FOR ALL THE YOUNG BLOOD

obviously in it for the music ... the chanes of making it in dance music are slim to none ... besides the no money to be made in this industry

this superstar dj gengre was created buy pioneers i dont

think many of theese people ever thought that would make it "big"

look at deepdish for example they played every thing from weddings to house parties in dc

Guest LeVeL

It all has to do with the MTV generation, you think if Hip Hop was in the same position that Dance Music is right now that we would know who PDiddy, Lil Jon, 36 Mafia are ???

If Dance Music had an Outlet where Dj's and producers can get their music heard on TV and on Radio then we wouldn't be talking about this. Its still Music just like you dont know any opera guy besides the 3 Tenors. Every style of music has their following but it needs its exposure.

Right now the US market settles to these styles of music Hip Hop, Rock, Latin and Country everything else or in between is up to the music lover to persue and look for on their own because they wont hear it on the radio or on TV.

Guest ramon

Right now the US market has settles on Hip Hop' date=' Rock, Latin and Country everything else or in between is up to the music lover to persue and look for on their own because they wont hear it on the radio or on TV.

[/quote']

I completely agree.

Guest bode

in the 90's chemical brothers and the prodigy were played on a regular basis on mtv and local radio stations. the scene was growing and it was growing based on underground parties and music festivals. most of the older people on this board were exposed to this scene at a young age not in a club. the scene and industry is dying in the states based on fed and state laws that have been passed in the past 6 years prohibiting or making it harder to expose the youth to edm.

Guest hiram

i think edm would be better off as an "underground" genre. it dosent belong on TV or radio, at least not in the US. europe on the other hand seems to be just fine with edm on the airwaves

Guest pod

Better off how? So the ones who produce it have to work as waiters during the day just to make ends meet? In an "underground" scene, people wonder where their favorite artists go after a time, it's usually they stop doing what they do since they're broke.

Guest LeVeL

Yeah thats a dumb suggestion to try to keep it underground, EDM has to extend its horizons. People think that only because EDM gets a little exposure or press it immediately means its selling out.

EDM needs to get out of the Dark Ages already, it needs to be heard. I hate how the US has the EDM in the dark and gives all the limelight to all the other genre's, when EDM can be just as enjoyable as the songs being played on your radio.

I mean for gods sake, someone took out a song that talks about a guy ,"Who's In Love With A Stripper". And whats freaks me out the most is that it gets played 1000 times a day and people actually like it.

Your telling me there aren't better EDM tracks out there that are better than 80% that is played on the radio or on MTV.

its just ridiculous, people are being forced to like a specific genre in this country just cause.

Guest hiram

^^ thats exactly why i think its better off in the clubs, the underground, by that i mean not the mainstream. i dont see edm becoming what it is in europe just cause the audience isnt there.

Guest pod

The audience is here, it just needs to be presented in a way such as the audience will think it is decent.

30 years ago, hip-hop was underground, and considered a new and unusual sound. Who in their right minds would want to listen to some guy speaking rhymes over a prerecorded beat?

Now it's a multi-billion dollar a year industry. It doesn't matter what the sound is, it's in the presentation.

Hell, rock n roll was the devil's music at first and was not accepted by the cultural mainstream. Same logic..."what's that racket!" 50 years down the line it's "the" sound of American music.

It takes time for any art form to become popular if that is what they are striving to be. These days it is just a bit harder due to the strength of the incumbent media companies.

Guest LiquidX

Well when people complain for DJ's of been Mainstream or calling Tiesto a Tiesto-Ho then people get the impression that YOU guys want Dance music underground instead. Tiesto has been very succesfull with what he's done and ideas. I dont know the guy but he has layed out some quality sets in the last couple of months coming from WMC.. while every other trance DJ has done subpar sets... like 1 good one bad, 1 good, 1 bad.. stuff like that. Tiesto has had that Great Set Stapled into he's mixes lately.

Tiesto Played in the Olympics.. watched by .. Couple of millions of peeps.. I think thats quite a success. EDM has slowed down a bit but its far from DEAD ( goes to Saleen ) .. please dude use facts not Spinned opinions.

Tiesto Sold Out the $75 tix entrance to Mansion both nights... I dont know what that tells you.

Guest hiram

Well when people complain for DJ's of been Mainstream or calling Tiesto a Tiesto-Ho then people get the impression that YOU guys want Dance music underground instead. Tiesto has been very succesfull with what he's done and ideas. I dont know the guy but he has layed out some quality sets in the last couple of months coming from WMC.. while every other trance DJ has done subpar sets... like 1 good one bad, 1 good, 1 bad.. stuff like that. Tiesto has had that Great Set Stapled into he's mixes lately.

Tiesto Played in the Olympics.. watched by .. Couple of millions of peeps.. I think thats quite a success. EDM has slowed down a bit but its far from DEAD ( goes to Saleen ) .. please dude use facts not Spinned opinions.

Tiesto Sold Out the $75 tix entrance to Mansion both nights... I dont know what that tells you.

+1 let it get out to the mainstream and new people will accept it, old listeners bash it and leave the scene all together

Guest cool1g

Tiesto sold out Avalon 2 nites in a row recently here in LA. Sat nite was 21+ and Sunday was 18+. tix were being scalped on Ebay for $125-150 each. so obviously he has a strong demand out here at least.

Guest pod

That's LA. They don't have a big electronic music scene out there in their clubs, so you get a huge name like that, and he'll draw from afar to get people in there. Kinda like way back when, when a 'niche' act like Phish or someone toured, they only played in so many places, put people would drive from all over to see them, since over a wide geographic area, they were popular.

Down here is a good example too. Space books PvD, you get a lot of people driving further, because it's PvD, and to them it's worth even a 3 hour drive to see someone they probably never get a chance to see closer to home.

Guest ramon

That's LA. They don't have a big electronic music scene out there in their clubs, so you get a huge name like that, and he'll draw from afar to get people in there. Kinda like way back when, when a 'niche' act like Phish or someone toured, they only played in so many places, put people would drive from all over to see them, since over a wide geographic area, they were popular.

Down here is a good example too. Space books PvD, you get a lot of people driving further, because it's PvD, and to them it's worth even a 3 hour drive to see someone they probably never get a chance to see closer to home.

we talking about the same LA here?

LA has a very healthy scene and its pretty damn diverse.

Guest pod

Yes we are. When I was out there, I didn't see much in the way of dance music at clubs. I'm talking LA proper here, not out in the OC or anything. I know Avalon brings the dance DJs in, but outside of them and a few others, I didn't see much in the way of dance music DJs. Grant it, I wasn't there for clubs, but still, it's not like here where thankfully you can still look down and see a dance music DJ on a flyer without having to look too hard.

Guest ramon

Yes we are. When I was out there, I didn't see much in the way of dance music at clubs. I'm talking LA proper here, not out in the OC or anything. I know Avalon brings the dance DJs in, but outside of them and a few others, I didn't see much in the way of dance music DJs. Grant it, I wasn't there for clubs, but still, it's not like here where thankfully you can still look down and see a dance music DJ on a flyer without having to look too hard.

Avalon , Montematre , Basic @ King King , and more warehouse parties than I can count. Giant still does stuff as well. Droidmusic does the Techno and as does a few other people.

Guest pod

As far as warehouse parties go, I guess I wasn't cool enough to be invited. ;D Nonetheless, from my perspective it's nowhere near what you would find here, New York, or even from what I can see in your favorite city, Detroit. LA's a rock n roll down these days as far as clubs go. The line to most of the rock (live rock, not DJ-provided) clubs was around the block on a Friday night.

Guest ramon

As far as warehouse parties go, I guess I wasn't cool enough to be invited. ;D Nonetheless, from my perspective it's nowhere near what you would find here, New York, or even from what I can see in your favorite city, Detroit. LA's a rock n roll down these days as far as clubs go. The line to most of the rock (live rock, not DJ-provided) clubs was around the block on a Friday night.

yeah they have a diverse scene .. not only DJ's but rock bands and places with live music .. the lineup at the hollywood bowl for the summer is crazy, but yes even the dance clubs are packed and they have solid talent week in and week out.

Guest pod

Honestly, when I go back, I'll probably wanna hit up the classic places where my 80s rock heroes got their start. I can catch dance music elsewhere :)

Guest ramon

Honestly, when I go back, I'll probably wanna hit up the classic places where my 80s rock heroes got their start. I can catch dance music elsewhere :)

understood but you really shouldt ry to get out to one of those warehouse parties .. ive heard they are absurd. :)

im leaving the patio and they are calling me telling me terry francis and eddie ricards are killing it .. :)

Guest LiquidX

MMmmm Sure?!?! I see all the trance DJ's going to LA week in week out.. and IM talking names like Rank1 and Signum kinda deal.. even Markus Schulz spends more time over there .

Guest Belgian Kat

Here come the hate mails from LA, I love your city but your club scene is LAME!!!! compared to MIA, sorry, no disrespect...and I mean that!

Guest pod

MMmmm Sure?!?! I see all the trance DJ's going to LA week in week out.. and IM talking names like Rank1 and Signum kinda deal.. even Markus Schulz spends more time over there .

Markus tours the world, he doesn't spend more than a day or two in any given city these days! Hell, he spends less than a day in some!

Rank One and Signum are producers, if I booked them as DJs, I'd lose money. Not to demean their talent or anything, but I wouldn't book them at a top flight club, and rely on them alone to pack them in. I'd theme the night out somehow, and be like "By the way, we've got these two trance producers playing tonight..." Other than the top 10 or 20 DJs (via whatever ranking) in the world, you can't rely on a DJ name anymore to fill out a big club. Festivals work because you book 100 names, and all their fans show up to see what's what. Oddly enough your top three acts might just cost more than the other 97 put together.

Don't get me wrong, I love dance music and going out to clubs, but I'm realistic, in the fact that a DJ driven scene is a hard sell these days for the clubs. Clubs have to broaden their appeal in order to pack them in.

Saleen, I mentioned Phish because they're a good example of what I'm talking about in regards to DJs. I wasn't a fan of them when I was a kid (I was pissed off industrial bastard), but the whole deal I observed was that the 30 or so people who liked them (and the other 100 who only went for the drugs), would drive across state lines to catch them, along with other smelly weed monkeys from hours upon hours away, mainly because the band didn't play out everywhere, but kept it to specific markets. Kind of like a touring DJ will today. Tiësto plays Miami, but he probably won't play Orlando. The Orlando Tiësto fans are gonna drive the four hours to it.