Clubplanet Nightlife Community

tiesto at Bang Music Fest?

Guest hiram

Guest Belgian Kat

MMmmm Sure?!?! I see all the trance DJ's going to LA week in week out.. and IM talking names like Rank1 and Signum kinda deal.. even Markus Schulz spends more time over there .

Markus tours the world, he doesn't spend more than a day or two in any given city these days! Hell, he spends less than a day in some!

Rank One and Signum are producers, if I booked them as DJs, I'd lose money. Not to demean their talent or anything, but I wouldn't book them at a top flight club, and rely on them alone to pack them in. I'd theme the night out somehow, and be like "By the way, we've got these two trance producers playing tonight..." Other than the top 10 or 20 DJs (via whatever ranking) in the world, you can't rely on a DJ name anymore to fill out a big club. Festivals work because you book 100 names, and all their fans show up to see what's what. Oddly enough your top three acts might just cost more than the other 97 put together.

Don't get me wrong, I love dance music and going out to clubs, but I'm realistic, in the fact that a DJ driven scene is a hard sell these days for the clubs. Clubs have to broaden their appeal in order to pack them in.

Saleen, I mentioned Phish because they're a good example of what I'm talking about in regards to DJs. I wasn't a fan of them when I was a kid (I was pissed off industrial bastard), but the whole deal I observed was that the 30 or so people who liked them (and the other 100 who only went for the drugs), would drive across state lines to catch them, along with other smelly weed monkeys from hours upon hours away, mainly because the band didn't play out everywhere, but kept it to specific markets. Kind of like a touring DJ will today. Tiësto plays Miami, but he probably won't play Orlando. The Orlando Tiësto fans are gonna drive the four hours to it.

Very well put!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....and by the way, I have friends that live in Orlando and do drive down for Tiesto...

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ramon

kinda like i gotta drive up to orlando to see jboyz in sept. its cool .. i accept the fact miami won't book him outside of wmc.

oh well..

09/14 @ zinc bar w/ James Zabiela

Guest pod

Ramon's another proof in point. His musical tastes are very specific, and he's willing to drive, hell, fly even, to take it in.

If you're a niche artist with a worldwide appeal, stuff like that happens. What I mean is your fanbase isn't like the size of say, Madonna's, but at the same time, in any given market, there's a few people who do like what you do. Some musical acts manage to thrive on such a thing. Or at least get by.

Guest Belgian Kat

It's people like Ramon that makes those bands survive... regardless of the genre of music you're into...

Guest pod

No doubt. If dance music is to remain a viable art form for clubs, I'd dare to say a lot of the larger venues should start to look beyond their immediate markets for customers, especially when booking big talent.

Guest Belgian Kat

I agree completely, but that's a big risk to take for club owners.... they want to play it safe and know what brings in a crowd....

Guest james stratus

Everyone in the dance music community. Your average clubgoer had no idea who he was at that point.

He was a $5,000/night DJ playing on a Friday when LP first booked him. Three years down the line his fees quadrupled. Space had a lot to do with that.

No one knew who Tiesto was until he remixed Silence??? This is something you are completely WRONG on Dan. That made him commercially succesful, but many many people around the world knew who he was for a good deal of time. He's one of the owners of BlackHole Recordings which opened in 1997. This is what made him really well known in the Trance community. The Kamaya Painters record in 1999 made him really known as a producer, and opened those doors for remix work. Hell, I knew who Tijs Verwest was in 1996 when I bought one of his early records! LP and Space didn't really have a hand in it OK!

Guest pod

What I mean by reaching beyond their immediate markets is twofold. First off, market beyond the immedate geographical area. Secondly, consider demographics that you normally wouldn't. Certain websites specialize in that sort of thing. ;D

Guest Cosmigonon

Everyone in the dance music community. Your average clubgoer had no idea who he was at that point.

He was a $5,000/night DJ playing on a Friday when LP first booked him. Three years down the line his fees quadrupled. Space had a lot to do with that.

No one knew who Tiesto was until he remixed Silence??? This is something you are completely WRONG on Dan. That made him commercially succesful, but many many people around the world knew who he was for a good deal of time. He's one of the owners of BlackHole Recordings which opened in 1997. This is what made him really well known in the Trance community. The Kamaya Painters record in 1999 made him really known as a producer, and opened those doors for remix work. Hell, I knew who Tijs Verwest was in 1996 when I bought one of his early records! LP and Space didn't really have a hand in it OK!

He's talking about the AVERAGE clubgoer, and he's true. In Panama not too many people knew who he was until he came out with that tune...

Guest Belgian Kat

No one knew Tiesto HERE in the USA. I happen to be European and my neighboring country is the Netherlands, where Tiesto is from. Tiesto was big before the USA was introduced to him... you guys need to check your roots on trance... Tijs Verwest, another example..... I happen to attend the local DJ finale in the Church in Amsterdam, still have not seen anything like that here.....

Guest Belgian Kat

true.. I'll give you that, I can't mix ignorance (lack of knowledge) with stupidity or arrogance... To many people who were not familiar with his music before his higly commercial hits, that is how he became "known" and I can emphatize with that... but Tiesto and so many others were as good or better (less commercialized) than they are now, when they were just known to the European world....

Guest james stratus

He's talking about the AVERAGE clubgoer, and he's true. In Panama not too many people knew who he was until he came out with that tune...

OK, but the average club goer doesn't know DJ X from DJ Y. The point is that that remix made him commercially known, but he was already famous per se. Think about how big he had to be to even be able to do that remix. Only the big boys got to touch that record.

Guest ramon

I think Silence was his big Commercial break. But yeah his Gouryella stuff , Kamaya Painters was a fuckin great .. even Sparkles was great, but it took Silence to break him into the mainstream imo.

His set from Trance Energy NYE 2000 is classic tiesto. Thats when I knew he would be huge this side of the pond it was a time of when. He started off with Spoiled and Zigo - More and More (before they put that horrendous vocal on it) and he ended with Rank1 - Airwave. That was full energy probably something bordering on techno (I had no idea what techno was back then). I may have to dig this up and Yousendit for you folks to hear it.

Guest ramon

It's people like Ramon that makes those bands survive... regardless of the genre of music you're into...

I'm a techno tourist what can I say. :) and JboyZ is worth driving for or flying. :)

Guest Mattivi

i dont care where in miami you book tiesto and when, it could be tuesday afternoon @ Tamiami Park in the middle of a CAT4 Hurricane and Tiesto would sell that bitch out. i agree with alot with what saleen has to say, but he is deadwrong on tiesto. tiesto is not hurting one bit for not playing at space. tho i wish he still was, his old sets there were legendary. but yes, LP and Space was tiesto's launchpad here in the US. it would be disingenuous to think otherwise.

Guest LeVeL

Totally agree...Tiesto is probably the most successful Dj in EDM History. In such a short time he has conquered it all, alot of Dj's can only wish to have a career like he has had.

I am sorry to say it but Tiesto will be forever be recognized just like Elvis is recognized as the King of Rock, Michael Jackson as the King of POP or like Tupac and Biggy are recognized in Hip Hop/Rap.

Guest Miss_Digital

Totally agree...Tiesto is probably the most successful Dj in EDM History. In such a short time he has conquered it all' date=' alot of Dj's can only wish to have a career like he has had.

I am sorry to say it but Tiesto will be forever be recognized just like Elvis is recognized as the King of Rock, Michael Jackson as the King of POP or like Tupac and Biggy are recognized in Hip Hop/Rap.

[/quote']

i agree he appeals to the masses the same way the artist mentioned above did too

Guest Mattivi

Totally agree...Tiesto is probably the most successful Dj in EDM History. In such a short time he has conquered it all' date=' alot of Dj's can only wish to have a career like he has had.

[/quote']

+1 agree... the thing with tiesto is what does he do next? he has done it all, #1 DJ 3x str8, sold out concerts, remix hits, sold out tour after tour. these days he is just kinda of spinning his wheels....

to me its really sad he had a falling out with space, its was really one of the only places left in north america where he would throw down such a nasty set, the only place i would get absolutely amped to see him. anybody who saw tijs at the old space and at the beginning of the new one, knows those were some of the best nites.

he gets clowned on alot in the EDM community because he has had such commercial success, and has been a victim of that success, and his last few mixtapes and productions have been garbage, so much of it is deserved. but ive always felt put that man in the room at space and he will rock it like few can. ive been around the block and have a well trained ear when it comes to EDM, and some of tiestos sets at space were epic to say the least, and ive seen some great ones. oh well it was fun while it lasted.

Guest JMT
+1 agree... the thing with tiesto is what does he do next? he has done it all, #1 DJ 3x str8, sold out concerts, remix hits, sold out tour after tour. these days he is just kinda of spinning his wheels....

to me its really sad he had a falling out with space, its was really one of the only places left in north america where he would throw down such a nasty set, the only place i would get absolutely amped to see him. anybody who saw tijs at the old space and at the beginning of the new one, knows those were some of the best nites.

he gets clowned on alot in the EDM community because he has had such commercial success, and has been a victim of that success, and his last few mixtapes and productions have been garbage, so much of it is deserved. but ive always felt put that man in the room at space and he will rock it like few can. ive been around the block and have a well trained ear when it comes to EDM, and some of tiestos sets at space were epic to say the least, and ive seen some great ones. oh well it was fun while it lasted.

i hear ya. i think what he does now is continue to evolve his sound. the first cd on his last album was a slightly different sound for him and i thought it was pretty good. (second cd was not good).

his conference set at space a few years back was a classic.

Guest LeVeL

But by him not playing Space anymore, I dont think it has affected his career one bit. Space was the club that booked Tiesto in Miami over the years until he played Mansion for conference.

Space will be forever be known as Miami's version of Twilo in New York, it has forever booked the best Dj's in the industry but they cant keep on doing that forever. Dj's are expensive now in days and clubs are businesses, if a club can still make money with their resident Dj's then why pay big bucks to book a Guest DJ for.

Tiesto's fanbase basically outgrew Space, if you ever went to a Tiesto event you would know that Space was so packed that you could hardly dance no matter if you were in the Main-room or Patio and you still had people outside of Space trying to get in. it made it very uncomfirtable to go see Tiesto at Space or for even WMC.

With Tiesto playing Mansion, I think it was a great move since the venue is bigger and more people are able to move around and dance.

Guest Miss_Digital

But by him not playing Space anymore' date=' I dont think it has affected his career one bit. Space was the club that booked Tiesto in Miami over the years until he played Mansion for conference.

Space will be forever be known as Miami's version of Twilo in New York, it has forever booked the best Dj's in the industry but they cant keep on doing that forever. Dj's are expensive now in days and clubs are businesses, if a club can still make money with their resident Dj's then why pay big bucks to book a Guest DJ for.

Tiesto's fanbase basically outgrew Space, if you ever went to a Tiesto event you would know that Space was so packed that you could hardly dance no matter if you were in the Main-room or Patio and you still had people outside of Space trying to get in. it made it very uncomfirtable to go see Tiesto at Space or for even WMC.

With Tiesto playing Mansion, I think it was a great move since the venue is bigger and more people are able to move around and dance.

[/quote']

yup

people will follow him where ever he plays

thats what fans and he has plenty

Guest ramon

But by him not playing Space anymore' date=' I dont think it has affected his career one bit. Space was the club that booked Tiesto in Miami over the years until he played Mansion for conference.

[/quote']

Twilo and Space are two completely different animals .. maybe you can compare the Miami venue in a few years but Twilo in NYC was so much more diverse than Space has been.

Guest Mattivi

[/quote']

thats a great point, i always thought the main reason he made the switch is because mansion's setup was more congruent for his "in concert" theme dj sets. but the vibe aint the same.

Guest LeVeL

Twilo and Space are two completely different animals .. maybe you can compare the Miami venue in a few years but Twilo in NYC was so much more diverse than Space has been.

I am not comparing it in that sense...Twilo in NY and Space are 2 Superclubs that catered to EDM. It booked the biggest and most known Dj's in the industry. Both overshadowed every other club that catered to EDM.

As far as diversity is concerned that up to the booking and promoters of each club, they are the ones who have to figure out if they can make money out of the event in order to be diverse.