Clubplanet Nightlife Community

tiesto at Bang Music Fest?

Guest hiram

Guest pod

Different markets too. Twilo in New York could do the diversity bit because the metropolitan New York area has 5 times the amount of people our metropolitan area does. The example I like to cite the most is that I could fart into a mic for 3 hours with a EFX-1000 attached to it and I'd probably have a crowd of 200 show up, if I did it in NYC.

Miami has diverse musical interests, but a much smaller population, so my example of farting into a mic would maybe draw a crowd of 15.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ramon

Twilo and Space are two completely different animals .. maybe you can compare the Miami venue in a few years but Twilo in NYC was so much more diverse than Space has been.

I am not comparing it in that sense...Twilo in NY and Space are 2 Superclubs that catered to EDM. It booked the biggest and most known Dj's in the industry. Both overshadowed every other club that catered to EDM.

As far as diversity is concerned that up to the booking and promoters of each club' date=' they are the ones who have to figure out if they can make money out of the event in order to be diverse.

[/quote']

it booked the biggest and most known DJ's in Miami not the Industry.

Miami is its own planet and its very hard to join the party if you know what I mean.

Guest pod

I'd dare to say Space booked the biggest and most known DJs in the industry. PvD and Tiësto don't count?

Guest LeVeL

it booked the biggest and most known DJ's in Miami not the Industry.

Miami is its own planet and its very hard to join the party if you know what I mean.

What are you talking about...your telling me that Space hasn't booked the best Dj's in the industry.

This has nothing to do with what you think are the best Dj's in the industry, the masses dictate which Dj's are the best and more successful due to their crowd appeal.

Guest dahzel

I hope they bring back Basti Schwarz and Doc Martin.

Doc's set was brilliant..

a circo loco tent would be most excellent as well :D

100 % agreed! 2 of the best acts last year!

Guest Miss_Digital

basti +1

Guest bootstah

basti +1

shut it bitch,I know you'd rather hear Tiesto anyday :P

Guest lavosdeldiablo

Different markets too. Twilo in New York could do the diversity bit because the metropolitan New York area has 5 times the amount of people our metropolitan area does. The example I like to cite the most is that I could fart into a mic for 3 hours with a EFX-1000 attached to it and I'd probably have a crowd of 200 show up, if I did it in NYC.

Miami has diverse musical interests, but a much smaller population, so my example of farting into a mic would maybe draw a crowd of 15.

LMAO. great analogy dan :)

Guest Miss_Digital

basti +1

Hey hoe! atleast i'm not secretly a PVD fan!

Guest Marina22

Yiperdey! So, Tiesto at Bang is just for the money? I'd rather see Junkie XL or Eddie Halliwel. If it's for a trance, well-known act that we need they should just put in George Acosta for his fans here.

Guest LiquidX

MMmmm Sure?!?! I see all the trance DJ's going to LA week in week out.. and IM talking names like Rank1 and Signum kinda deal.. even Markus Schulz spends more time over there .

Markus tours the world, he doesn't spend more than a day or two in any given city these days! Hell, he spends less than a day in some!

Rank One and Signum are producers, if I booked them as DJs, I'd lose money. Not to demean their talent or anything, but I wouldn't book them at a top flight club, and rely on them alone to pack them in. I'd theme the night out somehow, and be like "By the way, we've got these two trance producers playing tonight..." Other than the top 10 or 20 DJs (via whatever ranking) in the world, you can't rely on a DJ name anymore to fill out a big club. Festivals work because you book 100 names, and all their fans show up to see what's what. Oddly enough your top three acts might just cost more than the other 97 put together.

Don't get me wrong, I love dance music and going out to clubs, but I'm realistic, in the fact that a DJ driven scene is a hard sell these days for the clubs. Clubs have to broaden their appeal in order to pack them in.

Saleen, I mentioned Phish because they're a good example of what I'm talking about in regards to DJs. I wasn't a fan of them when I was a kid (I was pissed off industrial bastard), but the whole deal I observed was that the 30 or so people who liked them (and the other 100 who only went for the drugs), would drive across state lines to catch them, along with other smelly weed monkeys from hours upon hours away, mainly because the band didn't play out everywhere, but kept it to specific markets. Kind of like a touring DJ will today. Tiësto plays Miami, but he probably won't play Orlando. The Orlando Tiësto fans are gonna drive the four hours to it.

Im not an expert on that field but I do understand what your saying. I was not implying wether DJ's bring more people or not, I was just comparing the health of the scene.. Signum DJ's in festivals and clubs in Europe, Godskitchen, Gatecrasher, Judgments together with other well known DJ's ( above & beyond etc.... ).. Signum is a Producer but does DJ as well. MAtt Darey is another fine example here, he's gone to LA couple of times too, and he's more well known for he's production. Rank1 performs at Sold Out events like Trance Energy among others.. and he's been to LA, Gouvernment in Canada among other places.. Im just talking about the health of the music scene at the other side.. whereas here in MIami people wouldnt even dare thinking to bring them just because of the same facts that you mentioned that's all. ( was disputing your argument that Miami has a better chance of having a better music scene then that of LA )

Guest bootstah

basti +1

hey biatch it's no secret, and you know where my heart truly lies...... ;)

Guest Miss_Digital

basti +1

your heart lies with oakey ???

Guest bootstah

basti +1

your heart lies with oakey ???

ffs woman!!!! lol

Guest pod

The US isn't a monoglot scene like the countries in Europe are. Geographically, each nation is the size of one of our states. What works in Miami may not work in LA. From an outsider's perspective, Miami and LA are effectively two different countries. Nevermind when you branch out into the Midwest.

Guest Belgian Kat

Everyone in the dance music community. Your average clubgoer had no idea who he was at that point.

He was a $5,000/night DJ playing on a Friday when LP first booked him. Three years down the line his fees quadrupled. Space had a lot to do with that.

No one knew who Tiesto was until he remixed Silence??? This is something you are completely WRONG on Dan. That made him commercially succesful, but many many people around the world knew who he was for a good deal of time. He's one of the owners of BlackHole Recordings which opened in 1997. This is what made him really well known in the Trance community. The Kamaya Painters record in 1999 made him really known as a producer, and opened those doors for remix work. Hell, I knew who Tijs Verwest was in 1996 when I bought one of his early records! LP and Space didn't really have a hand in it OK!

I think Silence was his big Commercial break. But yeah his Gouryella stuff , Kamaya Painters was a fuckin great .. even Sparkles was great, but it took Silence to break him into the mainstream imo.

His set from Trance Energy NYE 2000 is classic tiesto. Thats when I knew he would be huge this side of the pond it was a time of when. He started off with Spoiled and Zigo - More and More (before they put that horrendous vocal on it) and he ended with Rank1 - Airwave. That was full energy probably something bordering on techno (I had no idea what techno was back then). I may have to dig this up and Yousendit for you folks to hear it.

I too, had no clue was trance was in 2000, I would love to hear that set if you can dig it up. I saw Tiesto live for the first time at Space on July 4, 3-4 yrs ago, that was awesome, then at Ultra and then in Amsterdam. I miss him at Space but he has outgrown the "space" there for his crowd, too bad...

Guest bootstah

JUST BRING FRANCOIS K AND BEN WATT AND ILL BE VERY HAPPY..

I was pumped to see Francois K during WMC but I have to say it was one of the worst sets I heard..... ???

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...