Clubplanet Nightlife Community

SO WHAT FINALLY HAPPENED WITH AVH AT TWILO?

Guest vanbuurenfan

Guest ledgemaster

Im in NOWAY a gay basher.. I have lots of gay friends.. but I think Twilo messed up by starting out all gay. For me at least, I hve no desire to go to a club where every guy in there is dancing with their shirts off. Everybody that I know (that is all not into the scene like we are here on CJ.. have no desire to go there because they think every night is gay night there).

I have heard noting but positive things about this club. I have seen the pics.. the place looks great... but in my eyes, it's a gay club. This could be the reason why the Space crowd wont show up there.

just my 2 cents

+1

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mr.miami

Just checked out the the twilo website seems they have made the saturdays toned down. Usually you see body parts for guys on that day for the advertisements, but looks like they took them off.

Guest lulamishka

DJ The Cheat is playing..."

the lightswitch is grounded so the cheat can throw lightswitch rave

??? ??? ???

strongbad!!!! 8)

MId7-xYR2ME

Aaahh I love that! Thanks for posting it, Josh! 8)

Guest miamilawdj04

I agree with most of the points being made. I also agree to an EXTENT that people will not always head to clubs for a late night on a friday, because they want to chill....have dinner, maybe a drink....then head out Saturday night. I agree with POD though, that has not stopped me when i want to go out. But for the average person, i think the happy hour thing is what they're after.

If i see a DJ coming to town, i'll go out on a Friday...i just take a nap like an old grandpa before i head out! haha.

Does Anyone think that there just may be TOO MANY venues opening catering to the same types of crowds (we're not that big a segment guys/gals)....in a city that's just TOO SMALL?? Now Soundfactory???? Man, with what is happening to TWILO, i wonder if Soundfactory folks will re-think their investment!!!

I've said in prior posts there's too many large clubs in town (Downtown/South Beach) right now. Realistically we can only support 3. Right now as far as 1000+ (comfortable capacity) venues go we've got:

Space

Mansion

Twilo

Nocturnal

crobar when they reopen

Sound Factory (December?)

That's a lot. More when you factor in clubs that legally can't hold 1,000 or more but crush them in.

Almost as many as the New York metro area. With 1/3 the people, and 1/3 of those who go out.

If I was gonna open a club right now, which I wouldn't, it'd be small.

Guest Marina22

I agree with Adam that something should be said but PR in the nightlife industry ::) Three pages later we have Saleen's explanation which might be true, who knows. What I want to know from the PR people, like Adam, and promoters alike is what specifically should be done for effective and profitable promotion? I guess you guys wouldn't want to say it on a public message board and give it away? Just curious from a marketing standpoint is all.

Guest mr.miami

I agree with Adam that something should be said but PR in the nightlife industry ::) Three pages later we have Saleen's explanation which might be true, who knows. What I want to know from the PR people, like Adam, and promoters alike is what specifically should be done for effective and profitable promotion? I guess you guys wouldn't want to say it on a public message board and give it away? Just curious from a marketing standpoint is all.

They should just find some local dj that only costs 500 a night and I would probably still show hahaha just cus I dont like overly packed clubs.

Guest dancefloored

yes there is plenty of local talent that would have a club jumpin just as much if not more than a major headliner. Hearing a local tear the roof off is almost better because you cant believe the way this local dj is tearing it up. My opinion

Guest Marina22

I don't like overly packed clubs either but what I mean is what exactly should a club do for promotions? ie. Fliers, mass emails, A3TV, New Times, ect.. How many possible channels are there conventional or unconventional?

Guest Adam Singer

i can tell you what i do for corporate clients is 100 times more effective than whats done for clubs (at least from what i see)...but they aren't shooting in the dark, we're organized and we measure ROI on everything so we know if its effective and if its worthwhile to do again

but they have rediculous marketing budgets

there are plenty of cheap, viral and guerrilla tactics but you'd have to pay me for consulting on a campaign, im not just giving away tips ;)

the main thing to remember is you need an overall strategy and then tactics to support that strategy...you also need a brand that has its message and direction in tact - the brand essence is very important (space understands this)

if you are just attempting different tactics (something here, something there) aimlessly you're destined for failure...you need to come up with broader goals first, and each tactic has to support one (or more than one) of those goals...

a PR and marketing plan is necessary to be drawn up first before you come up with ideas...organization, having a plan and saavy marketing people on your team are probably the most important things for success

Guest mr.miami

i can tell you what i do for corporate clients is 100 times more effective than whats done for clubs (at least from what i see)...but they aren't shooting in the dark, we're organized and we measure ROI on everything so we know if its effective and if its worthwhile to do again

there are plenty of cheap, viral and guerrilla tactics but you'd have to pay me for consulting on a campaign, im not just giving away tips ;)

the main thing to remember is you need an overall strategy and then tactics to support that strategy...you also need a brand that has its message and direction in tact - the brand essence is very important (space understands this)

if you are just attempting different tactics (something here, something there) aimlessly you're destined for failure...you need to come up with broader goals first, and each tactic has to support one (or more than one) of those goals...

a PR and marketing plan is necessary to be drawn up first before you come up with ideas...organization, having a plan and saavy marketing people on your team are probably the most important things for success

In your opinion how do Space and Nocturnal differentiate themselves from each other? Maybe I missed something, but I just consider Space a night club. A place where someone can listen to music, dance, and get drunk. Don't see how that is any different from anywhere else down here. Only thing Space has going for it was that it was downtown first and has years of getting clientele that went there and got wasted there before these other places opened. I tend to only go to Space occaionally cus I know how the place is. Maybe if Twilo did stuff like enforcing the no smoking and also advertise the place as being more upscale than it is then maybe they could attract the crowd of the people that go to Space that hate feeling like a Fcking sardine in that place and being knocked around like being in bumper cars. I'd also reccomend they try moving the gay nights to friday since it seems they have developed that clientele pretty well and see what happens if they make Saturday a mixed night.

Guest coach
Only thing Space has going for it was that it was downtown first and has years of getting clientele that went there and got wasted there before these other places opened.

This is way more important than you seem to realize. Actually, being first is one of THE most important aspects of marketing. It ain't the only thing, but it can make a huge difference.

Guest Adam Singer

i think you answered your own question...btw, im not the expert on nightlife marketing so you're asking the wrong person here really...

although one day i would like to try my hand working with a nightlife client - the skills are 100% transferrable

Guest coach

i think you answered your own question...btw, im not the expert on nightlife marketing so you're asking the wrong person here really...

although one day i would like to try my hand working with a nightlife client - the skills are 100% transferrable

I have $50 and a bucket of Coronas, what can I get?

Guest Adam Singer

I have $50 and a bucket of Coronas, what can I get?

lol, you cant afford me for that :)

In your opinion how do Space and Nocturnal differentiate themselves from each other? Maybe I missed something, but I just consider Space a night club. A place where someone can listen to music, dance, and get drunk. Don't see how that is any different from anywhere else down here. Only thing Space has going for it was that it was downtown first and has years of getting clientele that went there and got wasted there before these other places opened. I tend to only go to Space occaionally cus I know how the place is. Maybe if Twilo did stuff like enforcing the no smoking and also advertise the place as being more upscale than it is then maybe they could attract the crowd of the people that go to Space that hate feeling like a Fcking sardine in that place and being knocked around like being in bumper cars. I'd also reccomend they try moving the gay nights to friday since it seems they have developed that clientele pretty well and see what happens if they make Saturday a mixed night.

I disagree. Space has always stuck to their roots and they are always bringing in world class djs... name 1 other club (besides Mansion right now) that is bringing in the talent that space is bringing in.. not to mention.. people like Oscar G.. I know that if Im hitting up Space on a Saturday night.. im going to be hearing bangin house music... Noc and the others.. I have no idea who or what im going to be listning to... Why should I waste my Saturday night on taking a chance of having a good time.. when I am guaranteed a great time at Space? Space is always consistant.

And that is what your average Joe clubgoer wants, is a guarantee of a good time, the "constancy". They don't care if the DJ is "new and innovative". Sucks, but thus is the business.

Guest mr.miami

I disagree. Space has always stuck to their roots and they are always bringing in world class djs... name 1 other club (besides Mansion right now) that is bringing in the talent that space is bringing in.. not to mention.. people like Oscar G.. I know that if Im hitting up Space on a Saturday night.. im going to be hearing bangin house music... Noc and the others.. I have no idea who or what im going to be listning to... Why should I waste my Saturday night on taking a chance of having a good time.. when I am guaranteed a great time at Space? Space is always consistant.

Well world class djs dont excite me about going to a club. Typically, I like going to a club to check the place out and have a few drinks. As long as it aint just hip hop most of the time I dont care who the dj is.Has space always had a hip hop room? I also recall for awhile they were trying to do the spanish room.

Guest ramon

Well world class djs dont excite me about going to a club. Typically, I like going to a club to check the place out and have a few drinks. As long as it aint just hip hop most of the time I dont care who the dj is.Has space always had a hip hop room? I also recall for awhile they were trying to do the spanish room.

yeah they have had a hip hop room for as long as i can remember .. the one at the old space had a very basement feel to it.

It was actually called The Basement.

Space has always had a hip-hop room. On occasion I will venture in just to break up the evening. They've had DJs of varying degrees in there, my favorites being Vertigo and Mike E Simm and Radamas.

Guest Marina22

Yeah, I figured I wouldn't get an actual answer. I understand you don't want to give away your trade secrets and you wanna get paid to give the advice. Just interested, since my field of study is business with an emphasis on marketing and I wanted to know what the pros thought :P