Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Is Miami a "Third World country"?

Guest saintjohn

Guest coach

Dang, that was a good article! I agree completely. We do call it a third world country amongst ourselves all the time, and that's cool. Mainly because we do it with a sense of wry, ironic humor, rather than derision.

And I didn't realize the idiot congressman who said it was from Denver. Talk about a horrible place. Can you say "Stepford Wives"? Only that applies to everyone. Whitewash and whitebread. Bland and boring, and don't do anything that might make you "different"! I'd much rather live in a crazy, exciting place like Miami than a bland place like Denver or the suburbs.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Electric Eel

It annoys me when people make a statement about Miami a very large city when they are actually talking about one or two neighborhoods in the city.

For example, I live in Coconut Grove and that is no way a third world country. People are friendly, you get great service in the stores and restaurants... I walk my dog everyday and have never passed one person that didn't say hi, smile, or stop to pet my dog. Even the freaking bums riding by on their bikes say hi and pedal on. For those of you complaining about restaurants, go to Ginger Grove or the Ritz and you will get great service. Even at the non-expensive restaurants you will get great service.

So stop generalizing people, if you are going to talk shit, talk shit about whatever parts of Miami that you are thinking about, not Miami as a whole!!!!

It annoys me when people make a statement about Miami a very large city when they are actually talking about one or two neighborhoods in the city.

For example, I live in Coconut Grove and that is no way a third world country. People are friendly, you get great service in the stores and restaurants... I walk my dog everyday and have never passed one person that didn't say hi, smile, or stop to pet my dog. Even the freaking bums riding by on their bikes say hi and pedal on. For those of you complaining about restaurants, go to Ginger Grove or the Ritz and you will get great service. Even at the non-expensive restaurants you will get great service.

So stop generalizing people, if you are going to talk shit, talk shit about whatever parts of Miami that you are thinking about, not Miami as a whole!!!!

Ok Ok Ok, Miami is a 2nd World Country... :)

Guest pod

2nd world is Communist.

Honestly, by all accounts, Miami's First World. Like I was saying, the median income definitely qualifies us for that.

But like anywhere, there's room for improvement. Miami needs work, and New York certainly isn't the crown jewel of human civilization, either.

Guest Hmmm

First time here, and sorry if my first post ever may offend some. My cousin sent me this link, and I noticed it got off topic in less than a page. This thread made me join this forum. I've been here before as a casual browser, but this time I wanted in. Flame if you want.

Many have made good points, mainly BarBario, Trancepriest (I dont know who they are) and Rick. Others made tourism reference for rudeness (off topic) but I read and respected their opinions. Now let's ask ourselves these simple questions:

1) How many have gone North of Miami?

2) How many have lived in other cities, states or countries other than Miami?

If you have not lived elsewhere, you clearly cant make a comparison of what other US cities are like. Visiting does not count. You're a tourist there, not a resident.

Having lived in South Florida, NY, Orlando and other countries, I will state that Miami IS "like" a Third World Country. It reminds me more of the Dominican Republic than NY, Chicago, LA, Atlanta, Maryland or any other big city. It makes it unique, but not immune from being very close to a 3RD World country. Look at the majority of the residents, and who really runs things down there (people from the 3rd world/mainly non English speaking people) Im in Broward by choice. Lived in Hialeah for 1.5 yrs (biggest nightmare city I've lived in so far), so I want to make it clear in some doubters' minds that Im not being biased. Now if Hialeah is not indicative of 3RD World, I dont know what is. Some will argue that Hialeah is only one small city among many in Dade County, but most others are no better.

The infrastructure, the culture, the mentality is 3rd world. What does that really make it? That's more than enough proof right there. Maybe the salaries, incomes may not reflect 3rd world to the T, but they're indicative of stalling compared to other major metropolitan areas. We're going backwards. Im not throwing darts at anyone, just stating facts, not just stats.

If it's quacking, im calling it what it is....

Dont even get me started on rudeness and English being the 2nd Language, while Spanish is the official one. You were spot on Rick. It's unique all right...But it's 3RD WORLD....VERY 3RD WORLD....

I dont want to sound racist, am Im not...but I will have to agree with Barbario in his first comment....It's not up to me to decide who goes where, but when I see Pembroke Pines starting to look like Hialeah, it's time for a change or a move altogether. Like I said, Im not throwing any darts....just expressing my opinions.

Guest pod

I can certainly agree that there are Third World attitudes around these parts. Like I said, by the economic numbers, Miami isn't Third World, but the attitudes certainly exist.

There's a few pluses to that though. Admit it. Some of of yous like the fact you can grease the wheels a bit down here and get out of parking tickets, shimmy past code enforcement, etc.

Guest pontifex

In third world countries you see a lot of corruption in the government officials( look at almost any country in Africa or the Carribean.) Its a way of life. Miami has more corruption then anywhere else I've seen in the US. Look at all the construction companies that are supposed to be rebuilding the streets along Biscayne Blvd. You think any of those people got those contracts because they were the best company for the job? In that sense I think that Miami resembles a third world country more than anywhere else in the US.

Guest trancepriest

I was born in a third world country.... Jamaica... yet still I've never seen chickens roaming the streets in Kingston (People getting stoned, stabbed and killed in various manners... most definitely). I was in Miami a few weeks back and I saw a flock/herd (don't know how to categorize it) of chickens... I was like DAMN... what the fuck! Chickens roaming the streets of a major city... spanish the default language... I was like this is definitely CUBA/South America not the goood ol US of A. In some ways thats cool... like when looking at vegetable stalls and you are like damn... this is definitely not America. But at the same time you are like this is kind of cool... it beats the blandness of American culture. The feeling of the city is definitely foreign... albeit not economically third world. Miami is a first world spanish country... its definitely unamerican culturally.

Guest trancepriest

Like I said, we need a wall built just south of hollywood to keep the miami people out of fort lauderdale! We don't want the crime!

Miami is better than Fort Lauderdale in alot of areas. You are more likely to get raped, burglarized and larceny theft in FTL rather than MIA.

http://miamifl.areaconnect.com/crime/compare.htm?c1=Miami&s1=FL&c2=fort+lauderdale&s2=FL

Auto theft, robbery, assault and murder are higher in MIA... I don't see how it would be any different there with a population of guidos. ;D

First time here, and sorry if my first post ever may offend some. My cousin sent me this link, and I noticed it got off topic in less than a page. This thread made me join this forum. I've been here before as a casual browser, but this time I wanted in. Flame if you want.

Many have made good points, mainly BarBario, Trancepriest (I dont know who they are) and Rick. Others made tourism reference for rudeness (off topic) but I read and respected their opinions. Now let's ask ourselves these simple questions:

1) How many have gone North of Miami?

2) How many have lived in other cities, states or countries other than Miami?

If you have not lived elsewhere, you clearly cant make a comparison of what other US cities are like. Visiting does not count. You're a tourist there, not a resident.

Having lived in South Florida, NY, Orlando and other countries, I will state that Miami IS "like" a Third World Country. It reminds me more of the Dominican Republic than NY, Chicago, LA, Atlanta, Maryland or any other big city. It makes it unique, but not immune from being very close to a 3RD World country. Look at the majority of the residents, and who really runs things down there (people from the 3rd world/mainly non English speaking people) Im in Broward by choice. Lived in Hialeah for 1.5 yrs (biggest nightmare city I've lived in so far), so I want to make it clear in some doubters' minds that Im not being biased. Now if Hialeah is not indicative of 3RD World, I dont know what is. Some will argue that Hialeah is only one small city among many in Dade County, but most others are no better.

The infrastructure, the culture, the mentality is 3rd world. What does that really make it? That's more than enough proof right there. Maybe the salaries, incomes may not reflect 3rd world to the T, but they're indicative of stalling compared to other major metropolitan areas. We're going backwards. Im not throwing darts at anyone, just stating facts, not just stats.

If it's quacking, im calling it what it is....

Dont even get me started on rudeness and English being the 2nd Language, while Spanish is the official one. You were spot on Rick. It's unique all right...But it's 3RD WORLD....VERY 3RD WORLD....

I dont want to sound racist, am Im not...but I will have to agree with Barbario in his first comment....It's not up to me to decide who goes where, but when I see Pembroke Pines starting to look like Hialeah, it's time for a change or a move altogether. Like I said, Im not throwing any darts....just expressing my opinions.

welcome and great post

this is exactly what im talking about

i've also lived in orlando, tampa(clearwater area), all over miami/broward myself, but was raised in the washington dc metro area.

another thing that gets to me is how cops in parts of west miami especially aren't around as much meaning they dont seem to be really be doing their jobs patrolling the streets, traffic, bad drivers, the things you see just shocks you.

Guest HouseJunkie

I was born in a third world country.... Jamaica... yet still I've never seen chicken roaming the streets in Kingston...

lol

that's because they ate them... where do you think Jerk Chicken came from?

Guest flux

Ok I'm new to the area. Where exactly can I go in Miami to see chickens roaming around freely? I've been downtown a few times and to Coral Gables and there were no signs of this third worldliness.

Guest trancepriest

Ok I'm new to the area. Where exactly can I go in Miami to see chickens roaming around freely? I've been downtown a few times and to Coral Gables and there were no signs of this third worldliness.

105585967_962139d57e_o.jpg

4081397_dd913188b0_o.jpg

This phenomenon is not widely observed (at least not by non locals)... since the chickens roam on the streets I can't give you an exact lock on their position. In the future I will try to document this more.... perhaps even provide some HD video.

Guest coach

So, you joined just so you could post a flame? Very nice. Please stay in Broward, we don't want your kind down here.

Guest coach

LOTS of suburbs of big cities have chickens roaming the streets, particularly in the south and west where it started as farm/ranch areas.

What I really like is the peacocks that roam coconut grove and all the ibis, herons, and egrets that wander the streets all over the city. The Pelicans, Ospreys, and Frigates that you see pretty regularly near the water are sooooo awesome.

Guest pod

Is the plural of ibis ibii?

Every city has wild animals loose in it. Up north it's bears, 'coons, and foxen. My parent's backyard is a veritable shooting gallery in the warmer months. Down here it's chickens, gators, etc...in Australia it's angry dingoes, snakes, and deceitful cats.

Every city has wild animals loose in it. Up north it's bears, 'coons, and foxen. My parent's backyard is a veritable shooting gallery in the warmer months. Down here it's chickens, gators, etc...in Australia it's angry dingoes, snakes, and deceitful cats.

maybe a dingo ate your baby

Guest JMT

maybe a dingo ate your baby

i lost my fiance.

Guest trancepriest

Yeah lots of cities have wild animals roaming the streets. Not a lot of cities have animals raised by humans for a food source roaming the streets.

Guest Cosmigonon

4081397_dd913188b0_o.jpg

This phenomenon is not widely observed (at least not by non locals)... since the chickens roam on the streets I can't give you an exact lock on their position. In the future I will try to document this more.... perhaps even provide some HD video.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Guest pod

Yeah lots of cities have wild animals roaming the streets. Not a lot of cities have animals raised by humans for a food source roaming the streets.

Saigon does.

33.jpg

Guest JMT

4081397_dd913188b0_o.jpg

lol, hilarious that you actually have photos.