Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Dreamgirls Review....(spoilers)...Movie of YR

Bling

Walking into this movie knowing about its critical success and 5 nominations for Golden Globes i walked in very critical of this film. Iwalked out with the tunes in my head and Jennifer Hudson in my heart.

This movie is an utter knockout..... (yes there were some flaws... they could have made the movie a bit longer i think.. perhaps a bit on the group before they met up.. how they got into singing.. also some scenes were a bit over the top but then again its a musical..

OH THE HAIRSTYLES IN THE MOVIE ARE JUST GOD AWFUL LOL (wait till u see them esp John Lithgow. lol )

Laura clifford from Reeling reviews said it best: "...as Effie White, the Dreamgirl left behind, Jennifer Hudson may have lost American Idol only to have won an Oscar."

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The movie takes place during the 1960's Detroit as three young women...Deena Jones (Beyonce), Lorrell Robinson (Anika Rose) and Effie White (Jennifer Hudson), meet the scheming record producer Curtis Taylor Jr played masterfully by Jamie Foxx (can this man do no wrong? he can sing great.. his acting is amazing.. the man is just on fire)

He gives the "Dreamettes" their "big break" (really only for his own self gain.. as he wants to be bigger than even his own acts... this guys ego and evil nature goes without saying)...

"Its the business" he remarks many a time....

He teams them up with James "Thunder" Early played by Eddie Murphy who finally comes back to the silver screen with style.. A remarkable performance by the legendary actor.

Heck the man can carry a tune

Eventually, the Dreamettes get big and Jamie Foxx basically makes Deena (beyonce) the star of the group (though undeserving at best. for the sole reason that the best singer... Jennifer Hudson is not skinny and beautiful.

Beoynce is absolutely gorgeous in this movie btw.. God what a gorgeous woman.....

The most poignant scene is when Jennifer Hudson... realizes she is booted out of the group due to her jealousy and anger of promises unrealized.).

The song she sings at that point" And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going,†is so emotional and so heart wrenching that i felt like i wanted to give her a standing ovation as the scene ended.

There are many such scenes in this movie.. all revolving around Jennifer Hudson..

Her singing is hauntingly soulful....

The dreamettes make it big under the evil record producer and poor Effie (goes off to live the life of a poor black single mom in Detroit .. A detroit torn apart by race wars)

By the end of the movie Jennifer Hudson goes off on her own and plays small jazz clubs. Her brother (who wrote many of the Dreamettes songs) writes her a killer song that the dastardly jamie then steals and changes up a bit for his dreamettes to sing (without their even knowing)

Eventually the girls find out he screwed over their former partner and Jamie gets his just desserts in the end.

A very powerful scene takes place as Jamie Foxx (who marries Beoynce tells her : "You cant even wipe your own ass without my permission.. I own you") ... WOW!!! powerful stuff...

The end is as strong as the rest of the film with a final performance that just encompasses the heart and soul of this remarkable film.

On top of all this internal drama within the group, the times also make it hard on the group and mainly black singers. Black artists would create original hits only to be made famous by white artists as the original artists (because they were black was ignored)

This played out in the movie when The Dreamettes played in MIami (which back in the 60's was as white as can be.. and were not taken too kindly by the older white audience)

Best film of the year.

Bravo to Jennifer Hudson (a regular girl who went into American Idol... lost... never gave up hope and is now a star )

She is a true life dreamgirl

Bravo Jennifer........

Just amazing....

Oh yeah im buying the Dreamgirls movie cd today(is it out yet? i want itttttttt) .. The music is just amazing.............

MY FLICKS OF YR

1 DREAMGIRLS

2.LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE

3. THE DEPARTED

best movie-dreamgirls

best actor-leonardo dicaprio

best actress-jennifer hudson

Guest xbbdc

mind u im an idol whore and i love soulful house to me the music was the effin shit....... i love that style of music /jazz/soul stuff

and the acting was excellent to boot

2nd commandment: You shall not make for yourself an idol...

• 11 months later...
Guest xbbdc

just saw this movie last night and indeed it was a great film.

im not a huge fan of musicals, but chicago is great and so is this one.

the producers wasnt as good as these 2 at all.

i dont like old musicals :( except for maybe west side story.

just saw this movie last night and indeed it was a great film.

im not a huge fan of musicals, but chicago is great and so is this one.

the producers wasnt as good as these 2 at all.

i dont like old musicals :( except for maybe west side story.

hahaha you're not a fan of musicals, eh? dude stop lying to yourself.

you just named 3 musicals that you like. therefore...yes, you are a huge fan of musicals.

Guest xbbdc
hahaha you're not a fan of musicals, eh? dude stop lying to yourself.

you just named 3 musicals that you like. therefore...yes, you are a huge fan of musicals.

huge fan? i guess our standards are very different. watching over 100 different comedies, over 100 different sci-fi movies, over 100 action movies... i'm huge fans of those.

but 3 musicals? not a HUGE fan. we can go as far as saying i'm a bit of a fan?

Guest JMT
i don't think i've ever seen one musical, ever. i'm definitely not a fan.

hey man, don't worry, we don't judge around here.

i've seen your copy of 'the sound of music'.