ummm....sarcasm? or did they not teach that up in g'ville.... :P ;D

Nope... they only taught football and basketball. :P

Blam! National F'n Champs Baybeeee!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest myles hie

I think the US is ahead of the curve of a dying EDM scene. Maybe the other countries will catch up to us, but we Americans have short attention spans and EDM is something we all did as kids, open format is here to stay and I'll be honest, I like it better.

Such a poor outlook for an agent trying to get gigs for somebody. ???

I'm not an agent, I have a real white collar job, just when a friend of mine wants a gig, I blackmail a few people.

werd.

Guest saintjohn
this has got to be Saleen's best post ever, and it's not even on CJ

+1

I laughed so hard I think I just had an asthma attack.

Guest Comport

I think the US is ahead of the curve of a dying EDM scene. Maybe the other countries will catch up to us, but we Americans have short attention spans and EDM is something we all did as kids, open format is here to stay and I'll be honest, I like it better.

EDM is not dying. If anything it is just slowly receding into the underground. And the reason that is happening is because of us. In a capitalist society, everything is about $$$. Bottom line we need to spend more $$$ to keep it alive.... my 2 cents..

Guest pod

Though the sad thing is there's a few people out there who want to see it go "underground". God forbid more people attend their parties.

I'd be thrilled if I was running a hole-in-the-wall house night somewhere, and suddenly thousands want to come to my party.

Guest coach

EDM is not dying. If anything it is just slowly receding into the underground. And the reason that is happening is because of us. In a capitalist society, everything is about $$$. Bottom line we need to spend more $$$ to keep it alive.... my 2 cents..

Spot on. Funny irony how you said it is your $.02, though! Maybe you need to drop in your $2 instead, LOL!

Guest saintjohn
I'd be thrilled if I was running a hole-in-the-wall house night somewhere, and suddenly thousands want to come to my party.

Me, too. But I'd make them all wait outside while I insulted them in a fake French accent.

Which would make even more people show up next week :)

Guest Comport

Spot on. Funny irony how you said it is your $.02, though! Maybe you need to drop in your $2 instead, LOL!

LOL.... I know right... But it seems like every time I go out I drop like $50-$75 on a bottle of water and a couple drinks.... I do my fair share of drinking.... I think all of this support for the EDM community is going to turn me into an alcoholic LOL

Guest myles hie

LOL.... I know right... But it seems like every time I go out I drop like $50-$75 on a bottle of water and a couple drinks.... I do my fair share of drinking.... I think all of this support for the EDM community is going to turn me into an alcoholic LOL 8)

Thats more supporting the club, not the artist. To support EDM or the artist you like purchase thier music. No P2P!!

Guest Comport

True. You gotta support the venues and the artists. I'll download mixes, but individual tracks I will purchase.

Well dropping $$ on the bar also supports the artist because a venue will not book a great artist that made 22$ at the bar.

Personally I do buy a lot of music.... ;D

Guest myles hie

True. You gotta support the venues and the artists. I'll download mixes, but individual tracks I will purchase.

Well dropping $$ on the bar also supports the artist because a venue will not book a great artist that made 22$ at the bar.

Personally I do buy a lot of music.... ;D

Yeah but the artist doesn't get a percentage of bar sales. Cover charges are where the club makes its money to pay big acts, not bar sales

Guest myles hie

I know... I was just saying... supporting the party, venue, and artist are just as important to keep EDM alive...

I don't think venue support is neccesarilly that important, The music or artist can be just as good in an old warehouse or whatever than a superclub. Of couse the club will have more ammenities, but when this ish first started there were no mega clubs or Ultra Lounges and things were debatably better. A clubs loyalty is to whomever brings in the cash, if things changed overnight and Polka was the new rage, all the clubs would be playing Polka. How would you feel about supporting the venue then?

Not trying to pick on you dude, just having a convo ;D

Guest pod

Yeah but the artist doesn't get a percentage of bar sales. Cover charges are where the club makes its money to pay big acts, not bar sales

I know a few DJs who have finagled a bar percentage into some of their contracts.

Guest myles hie

I know a few DJs who have finagled a bar percentage into some of their contracts.

::)

of course things are hardley ever black and white, 99.9% of bigger national and international acts do not get a bar percentage. A local jock working a weekly, then yes they prolly get a %. Sheesh!

Guest mr. wilkins

Hah, you fell for the trap.

It's so obvious now I can't believe people get so offended by what he posts.

Yes, I was a victim once too. I think I threatened to run him over with a steamroller or something.

LOL... actually POD I've stayed away from Saleen since the CP days.... he's not worth my time...makes for a great read/laugh though... but what he did on that otr brd (defected) was his alltime low....

and yeah...i think I've offered to buy him a plane tix back to Jersey a time or 2 myself...

Guest Comport

I know... I was just saying... supporting the party, venue, and artist are just as important to keep EDM alive...

I don't think venue support is neccesarilly that important, The music or artist can be just as good in an old warehouse or whatever than a superclub. Of couse the club will have more ammenities, but when this ish first started there were no mega clubs or Ultra Lounges and things were debatably better. A clubs loyalty is to whomever brings in the cash, if things changed overnight and Polka was the new rage, all the clubs would be playing Polka. How would you feel about supporting the venue then?

Well, I know your not trying to pick on me, but I have to disagree, only because if you get into a warehouse w/o permits then the cops can shut you down.

But in today’s club world you need the venues to make $$ just like you need the artist to make money. I don't agree with this system. In a perfect world all the club owners would be about the music and not the $$.

If polka was the new hot genre, and Ramon was looking for the pre-release tracks and up-coming underground artists, I think I would tie a rope with a speaker attached to it around my scrotum and throw it of a building... Sorry to be graphic... LOL

Guest pod

True enough. If you don't have your permits in order to do a warehouse thing, the powers-that-be will come down on you like a fly on dogshit. This has happened a lot of obviously. We're mostly a bunch of responsible citizens around here, but we all know fully well what killed the off-license warehouse party. Let's not bullshit around here. Kids in K-holes and middle of the dancefloor piles of people.

Even licensed ones became increasingly difficult to do. Back in the later years of the ravey-davey-warehouse scene, my general instinct was to shoot (a camera) close in and up. Or dark. If I went wide, there was an inordinate amount of bodies scattered about. I called it the battlefield syndrome. Yeah, I shot some dodgy warehouse events way back when. On chrome no less. Chrome was kind of fun. I always used to say to DJs and promoters that this was the worst thing they could encourage. Most didn't listen.

Guest myles hie

Well, I know your not trying to pick on me, but I have to disagree, only because if you get into a warehouse w/o permits then the cops can shut you down.

But in today’s club world you need the venues to make $$ just like you need the artist to make money. I don't agree with this system. In a perfect world all the club owners would be about the music and not the $$.

If polka was the new hot genre, and Ramon was looking for the pre-release tracks and up-coming underground artists, I think I would tie a rope with a speaker attached to it around my scrotum and throw it of a building... Sorry to be graphic... LOL

I'm not talking about doing warehouse stuff now, in this day and age that stuff would never fly. I was speaking more in generalaties about things used to work.

What good does it to support venues who book the same "big name" talent over and over. That is short sighted. But the club business is about the now and not necesarilly trying to lay groundwork for the future which was we as fans, artists and consumers should be concerned about. Supporting and spending your hard earned money at places like Laundry Bar who push different talent would go farther as awhole for the EDM community than to pay 50 to see DJ whomever at your local megaclub.

It all serves a purpose of course, but even the New Times sees what idoltry and overbloating the top2% of the EDM world causes. A possible slow, painful death of EDM.

Guest pod

Yeah it kind of sucks that the US audience took a good thing and forced it into a rockstar DJ-worshipping model. Yeah, DJ worship was already a problem on the other side of the pond, but when it got exported here, it essentially copped the whole rockstar model and forced it onto a model of entertainment not quite like that. Square peg, round hole, all that. Now I can appreciate a DJ as much as the next person, but to put him or her up like it was is kinda strange. Even funnier (well I guess it's cool if you're a DJ) is DJ whoredom. Oh wow, you're sleeping with the DJ. Go you.

Guest myles hie

Yeah it kind of sucks that the US audience took a good thing and forced it into a rockstar DJ-worshipping model. Yeah, DJ worship was already a problem on the other side of the pond, but when it got exported here, it essentially copped the whole rockstar model and forced it onto a model of entertainment not quite like that. Square peg, round hole, all that. Now I can appreciate a DJ as much as the next person, but to put him or her up like it was is kinda strange. Even funnier (well I guess it's cool if you're a DJ) is DJ whoredom. Oh wow, you're sleeping with the DJ. Go you.

Idoltry doesn't have to be a bad thing if you can not go overboard with it and give a new set of people the chance to break. Idoltry is what keeps people coming back for more and spending money and following your favorite act and so on.. It's more like all you are fed is chicken, fish..chicken fish, chicken, fish. You have to eat but your soo sick of both. Seems like most people would either be content with that or not eat (It's a metaphor people, no on'e going to stop eating) Steak is out there, but if you don't know its out there, you'll never try it and decide you like that too. But the bigger problem is how to get the steak to the masses..

hahaha, Insert fish, steak and chicken jokes here....>

Guest pod

Yeah, like I said, I have no issue with respecting the guy on the decks, and even some form of 'worship' might be in order, but too much gets bad.

Now in this day and age, the reason you see some guys coming back a lot is contracts, obviously. They get booked, often at a bulk discount, for x amount of days over the course of a year. A lot of the larger clubs do have their years plotted out in advance.

Guest myles hie

Yeah, like I said, I have no issue with respecting the guy on the decks, and even some form of 'worship' might be in order, but too much gets bad.

Now in this day and age, the reason you see some guys coming back a lot is contracts, obviously. They get booked, often at a bulk discount, for x amount of days over the course of a year. A lot of the larger clubs do have their years plotted out in advance.

yep.

You have earned yourself a beer on me son! ;)