Clubplanet Nightlife Community

How do you do your taxes?

Guest LeVeL

I would rather go to an Accountants Office instead. H&R Block and Jackson Hewitt tend to hire peopel who are not accountants and then train them with their Database, eventhough they do keep a Certified Accountant in house to oversee the operation.

Guest coach

H&R Block is the biggest rip off around. Unless you have unusually complex taxes for some reason, I highly recommend you do them yourself using one of the Tax programs. We did that for the first time this year and saved a LOT of money. If you do have unusually complex taxes, do NOT go to one of the big-name tax houses. Find yourself a personal CPA and have him do it. We very nearly had to sue H&R, they did such a bad job.

Guest JMT

my high school buddy is an accountant in delray. i go to him.

i have heard HR block is good, but if you have a funky return you might be better off with a hands-on accountant.

Guest Electric Eel

Used to go to a friend who worked at H&R block who now owns his own business doing taxes. I got it done for free, otherwise I think it costs too much money to get it done @ H R.

This year I didn't have time to go to anyone and I wanted my return quickly so I did it online at www.taxcut.com which is backed by H&R block but was only $15. I just had my returns from the past 2 years next to me and pretty much followed what I had done previously with an actual person.

Guest michael^heaven

taxactonline.com

Completely free, easy-to-use & accurate. I didn't procrastinate this year like every year previously. Got it done in Feb. Received my refund about 2 weeks ago. :)

Guest slamminshaun

Depends how complicated your stuff is or how many write-offs you want. I use a CPA. Most people can get by with Turbo Tax or H&R Cock.

i use H and R block . been going to the same guy for 5 yrs.. quick and painless

cost me only 60 this yr at H & R block.. then again my taxes are really simple. i dont own shit .. all i file is my w-2 and my taxes paid to my student loans.. (which of course gives me more on my return)

Guest JMT

Well I used turbo tax last year, but this year when doing it, I hit a snag. It won't do my milage and big ticket item taxes correctly. I think I may have to hit a cpa..

JMT how much does your boy charge?

for a general return, $100.

anything that gets complicated is a little more, but he is up front about it.

delray might be a hike for you, but let me know if you want his info.

Well I used turbo tax last year, but this year when doing it, I hit a snag. It won't do my milage and big ticket item taxes correctly. I think I may have to hit a cpa..

JMT how much does your boy charge?

for a general return, $100.

anything that gets complicated is a little more, but he is up front about it.

delray might be a hike for you, but let me know if you want his info.

I'm in Delary all the time, it's only 30 mins, I have clients there. PM me his info and tell him I want the insiders deal, my taxes should be str8 forward for him.

Guest coach

i use H and R block . been going to the same guy for 5 yrs.. quick and painless

cost me only 60 this yr at H & R block.. then again my taxes are really simple. i dont own shit .. all i file is my w-2 and my taxes paid to my student loans.. (which of course gives me more on my return)

You're getting banged, Bling. If your taxes are simple, as you say, just do them online.

Guest coach

Well, I'm going to JMT's CPA, I don't mind paying money, because I told the guy it's more than a better return, it's an education, I don't understand some shit about my job so he is going to teach me how to save money next year.

Yeah, if your taxes are complicated, a CPA is definitely the way to go. We used one for years and he probably saved us thousands of dollars. But, if they are simple like Bling's, then a CPA costs more than they save.

Guest slamminshaun

Well, I'm going to JMT's CPA, I don't mind paying money, because I told the guy it's more than a better return, it's an education, I don't understand some shit about my job so he is going to teach me how to save money next year.

Yeah, if your taxes are complicated, a CPA is definitely the way to go. We used one for years and he probably saved us thousands of dollars. But, if they are simple like Bling's, then a CPA costs more than they save.

There's tax preparers and then there's CPA's. Tax preparers typically have no formal licensing and are zombies who only fill out the paperwork for you. CPA's have education, experience, and the expertise necessary to not only fill out the forms, but provide tax planning services.

Planning is more important than knowing how to fill out some paperwork. A tax preparer might help you dig up an extra $200 in millage write-offs, but a CPA will save you thousands through proper planning. If you are self-employed, receive a 1099, have alot of write offs, or have a high net worth, you should always use a CPA. Basic W-2 employees should just use Turbo Tax and save their $50.

Barbarino, my CPA is out of Broward. There's a reason I use a CPA who is 90 miles away. If you're interested, PM me....

Guest coach

Right, that's why I suggested a CPA. Heck, I used a CPA who was 1300 miles away for the first 3 years we moved here.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest endymion

My mom, a CPA, says that the main reason why you don't want to go to a McDonald's firm like H&R Block is that they will avoid taking any risks by filing for deductions. They will only suggest the most safe and obvious deductions in order to shield themselves from liability from disallowed deductions. They're just trying to sell as many Happy Meals as they can during the tax rush and they aren't looking out for your interests as much as a CPA theoretically will.

There are also CPAs who take the same conservative strategy and don't save as much for their clients as they could, but H&R Block will take the safe and conservative route every time, guaranteed.

Guest Devilicious

Haha, this guy I know just started receiving a paycheck for the first time in 10 years (he's 31) and the IRS came after him, froze his bank accounts and is requesting over $30,000 in backed, unpaid taxes. What a moron!

I'mma do mine myself or with one of these online programs this year. If you can use the EZ form it takes like an hour.