Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Twilo is closing dammit!! (Old "Deep Thoughts by DT")

Guest bootstah

Guest pod

Not to stereotype, but the crime came when a certain element was attracted to the area by a certain style of event.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lyrik

People want to be assured that when they go out, their hard-earned money will be well-spent on a good time. That's where consistency comes in.

EXACTLY...they buy it because it has been proven reliable...why look further than what has worked out for them time and time again...its a system condusive to why they went out in the first place...to have fun and party. I fall into a "music head" type mold, but I can tell you that doesn't mean in my search to find alternative events with music more to my liking that I haven't been severely upset with the atmosphere once I got there...regardless of the music it just ruins your experience....at the same time I have been to some events where the music was really sub-par but the party atmosphere was out of control and enjoyed it for that reason.

Great, so we should build 24 hour clubs with patios in Palm Beach next to Trumps house??

The problems downtown are no better or worse the day the original Space opened there. Why no complaints back then?

you're kidding right?

Nick,

Downtown today, vs downtown early 2000's doesn't compare. The homeless have always been & to me that's the least of the problem. Back then, warehouses made home for EDM clubs like Space, Living room, NV, etc... Parking was 50-75% less & stabbings or shootings weren't a monthly headline. The mood was never aggressive, the drug was "probably" ecstasy & kids carried glow sticks, not knifes...

& that's just 1st layer of the cake. Take it from someone who's worked weekends in downtown since Oct. 2001.

Oh biz, pay attention.

Parking costs, why have to gone up? As more clubs came to downtown, there were less parking spaces, ergo the price rose. If 439587239857 people came to LC, wouldn't you raise your prices too? But oh no! The parking people are evil!!!

The crime rate in downtown has stayed exactly the same, you just hear about it more because there are more people down there. As populations grow so does crime, but the % of crime has stayed the same.

Per Capita, it's the same. It's no different than people thinking there are more shark attacks and crimes against kids have exploded. Truth is, shark attacks and attacks on kids have gone down.

Keep drinking the cool aid..

Guest lyrik

Miami is NOT the house music capital,

So where is it? (Keep it to America, please.)

House music in terms of talent and diversity of talent coming through on a regular basis I rank NY and Chicago a close tie for 1st place with actually Dallas, San Fran coming in a close second. Again this is solely on the fact of talent coming through...not the same 10 jocks playing year round. Dallas actually spanks Miami in terms of different acts being booked week in and week out...but there are other factors that allow that. Now party scene...yes Miami I can say is much more of a party club type town with bigger clubs, crowds...but that doesn't relate to House Music specifically.

My bias point of view is Chicago, but being realistic I have to rank NY right there too.

Guest lyrik

AAAAAND historically speaking...Chicago spanks any American or Foreign city...it is deeply rooted in that City and you can walk into (literally) hundreds of bars, lofts, clubs, cafes, shops, alternative types of venues, events etc etc and hear it and see it.

Guest pod

I don't know where anyone got the idea that Miami was the house music capital of the US. No one I know from Miami has ever claimed that.

Sure we've got a helluva list of local producers and DJs with global recognition, but the "homes" of house (NYC and Chicago) have more of a claim than Miami does. Miami's a party town with some pretty good dance music being played in some of the clubs. Dance music has taken a beating in the middle part of this decade, but like OG said, it comes and goes.

If anything, and bear in mind I don't know much about music, I would say Chicago is the global capital, or at least the home of house. You know, Frankie Knuckles, the Warehouse, that sort of thing. But what do I know?

If you wanna talk capitals? It's a bitch. What kind of house are we talking about?

Guest 4040

If you put in simple terms there is going to be more crime if there are more people. Years back it was a ghost town at night with no one really around except bums and vandals. Now that you have several thousand people going dt on a given weekend its open season for those bastards

Like they say with shark attacks: More and more people frequent the beach from years past which means more legs to get chomped ;)

Guest biznation00

Great, so we should build 24 hour clubs with patios in Palm Beach next to Trumps house??

The problems downtown are no better or worse the day the original Space opened there. Why no complaints back then?

you're kidding right?

Nick,

Downtown today, vs downtown early 2000's doesn't compare. The homeless have always been & to me that's the least of the problem. Back then, warehouses made home for EDM clubs like Space, Living room, NV, etc... Parking was 50-75% less & stabbings or shootings weren't a monthly headline. The mood was never aggressive, the drug was "probably" ecstasy & kids carried glow sticks, not knifes...

& that's just 1st layer of the cake. Take it from someone who's worked weekends in downtown since Oct. 2001.

Oh biz, pay attention.

Parking costs, why have to gone up? As more clubs came to downtown, there were less parking spaces, ergo the price rose. If 439587239857 people came to LC, wouldn't you raise your prices too? But oh no! The parking people are evil!!!

The crime rate in downtown has stayed exactly the same, you just hear about it more because there are more people down there. As populations grow so does crime, but the % of crime has stayed the same.

Per Capita, it's the same. It's no different than people thinking there are more shark attacks and crimes against kids have exploded. Truth is, shark attacks and attacks on kids have gone down.

Gotta love your supply & demand theory... It's just like little private owned supermarkets that raise prices on water when supply is down thru a hurricane. The last time I checked, that's not exactly legal. But then again, who's cares to keep track of the parking lot scam. Back in 2001, there was about 2 parking lots for 3 clubs. Now there's a million in the area for about 6 clubs. There goes your parking supply & demand theory.

Crime rate downtown? dude, drop your newspaper & step from behind your local tv news for a minute here. We're talking about crime rate inside our clubs. Of course you hear about it more, because it's happening more! Maybe Downtown's crime rate in "general" remains the same, but the crime rate or "fights" in clubs have signifcantly risen in downtown.

On another note...

What's the stock market like these days? I'm looking to invest.

Biz

Guest JustDade

SO SAD TO SAY THIS PEOPLE

BUT THERE TRULY WAS "NO HOPE"

I assume that this refers to Twilo. If so, it's one of very few true statements in Danny's post. However, not for the reasons he thinks. Twilo never had a chance because they were underfunded, had no plan, never marketed the club properly, cheated people, counted on an old name and reputation for success and was opened for the wrong reasons.

11th STREET & NE 2nd AVE. in DOWNTOWN MIAMI HAS BECOME

THE MOST GHETTO SCENARIO OF CLUBLANDS THAT MY EYES HAVE EVER WITNESSED!

AND THIS TRULY SADDENS ME DEEPLY! -

* And, I don't care who has an opinion of my opinion! -

It is questionable whether this is true. Some, like Biz, will agree that the neighborhood is worse. Others, like LP, will say that it has been cleaned up somewhat from what it was. The fact is that before the clubs moved in most of us never bothered with that neighborhood and were content to leave it to the homeless.

IT ALL STARTS ON THE VERY CORNER WHERE THE STREET LIGHT DOES NOT EVEN HAVE A WORKING ORDER ??

This is so stupid I don't know how to express it. You could have called the City and reported the light broken in half the time it took you to write this post. They don't have sensors that alert them to b roken lights.

THE FIRST CLUB IS NOTORIOUS FOR SHUT DOWNS DUE TO

SHOOTOUTS AND STABBINGS, YET THEY ARE STILL OPEN?

It's called having rights. There is a process to follow in order to close a business that someone has invested in and supports many families.

THE TRAFFIC IS HIDEOUS ON THE BLOCKS DUE TO THE 7 CLUBS PRACTICALLY ALL WITHIN 3 FEET FROM EACH OTHER .....

No worse that South Beach or Manhatten for that matter.

THE PARKING LOTS CHARGING UP TO $25.00

So what? You charge a lot more than that. If you get to set the parking rates, can I set your rate? Oh wait....it's a free market! If you can't afford $25 or just feel it's too much, park somewhere else. Also, there is City parking for $10 under the overpass. That's where I park and I have never had a problem with my car nor have I had a problem with the homeless there.

THEN YOU HAVE TO SADLY DEAL WITH ALL THE HOMELESS,

CRACK ADDICTS AND MENTALLY CHALLENGED PEOPLE THAT WANDER THE STREETS OFTEN INTIMIDATING CLIENTELE AS THEY WALK TO THE VENUES.

I agree that this is annoying but it's a fact of urban life. The truth is that there are few better places to be homeless due to the warm weather. There are clubs at Cocowalk in the Grove and no homeless. Maybe DT should check those out.

THERE IS A SHELTER THAT FEEDS THE HOMELESS JUST ONE BLOCK AWAY, AND THE NEIGHBORHOOD ITSELF IS SUPER-SKETCH!

That shelter was there before the clubs. It is part of Miami and actually halps a lot of people. I hope you're not saying that clubs are more important than feeding hungry people.

CIRCUIT PARTIES STYLE EVENTS WHERE THE MUSIC IS LIKE A 2007 SOUNDTRACK TO THE WIZARD OF OZ! LA LA LA LA LA LAAAA

* ANYTHING BY AN ARTIST WITH A "BIG MAJOR LABEL/MTV NAME" - REMIXED TO A DANCE SINGLE SEEMS TO GET PLAYED ..

AS LONG AS IT HAS

"T H A T - T I R E D - "ANTHEM" - F O R M U L A" (zzzzzz)

A PACKED ROOM FULL OF SWEATY SHIRTLESS MUSCLE MEN DANCING TO JUDY GARLAND TYPE SONGS ..... MAKES NO SENSE! (( yawn ))

THIS IS NOT JUST MY OPINION ..... THESE ARE THE FACTS!

NO....THOSE ARE YOUR OPINIONS. Who the fuck are you to judge what is good music and call it a fact? I happen to believe that people can listen to and like or dislike anything they want. It's time to stop believing your own hype, Mr DJ's DJ, and get real. The fact that it's a "PACKED ROOM" full of anything means that there's an audience for it and it is valid. Or is it that they're shirtless and sweaty that bothers you?

MIAMI (like many others) is being completely taken over by:

Hip Hop, RAP, Reggaeton, Salsa, Bachata, Cumbia, VIP rooms, AND

You just named six musical styles that don't appeal to me yet I still see their validity. Also, many have been around far longer than "dance" and will be popular long after anyone remembers Danny T. As an artist yourself I would hope for you to have more respect for other artists. Too much to hope for, I guess. As for VIP rooms, again not my scene but if it floats your boat....go for it. You sound like my granparents complaining about that damn Rock-and-Roll. You sound like a bigot.

way too many Non Intelligent "Teenage Dropouts"

with gangsta looking tattoos up their necks, arms, etc

and even some people with "weapons"

just driving all around passing all the Clubs & South Beach

because most couldn't get in even if they tried from their appearance or their thug-ish attitudes, possies and the

PRISON MENTALITIES!

That's right....judge all the books by their covers. Assume you know their intentions. This is a strange attitude from a gay man. This is, perhaps, the most offensive statement in an offensive post.[/quote]

Guest JustDade

* WHERE THIS ALL STARTS AND ENDS LIKE A CYCLE! -

YOU COULD ALWAYS GO DIRECTLY ACROSS FROM TWILO AS WELL

AND GET A LAP DANCE 24 HOURS A DAY, 7 DAYS A WEEK!

Or, get chicken fingers from their Take Out Window? ((LOL))

See....there is some good.

DOWNTOWN MIAMI SEEMS TO be "CURSED" --->

Whatever.

Security People that SHAKE DOWN CUSTOMERS more than

anywhere else I have ever heard of ....

(Not all of them are Corrupt ... But MANY are!)

I have also heard these "Urban Legends" but have never encountered it myself nor actually met anyone who has. Have you?

Even some people on this board have SAD "ELEVATOR" STORIES! -

I have no idea what that means.

HORRIFIC BUZZY / ELECTRO & DATED PROGGY / TRACKS

THAT SOUND LIKE "FLASHDANCE" -

NEW RULE: Only Danny Tenaglia approved music is to be played from now on. No other opinions will be tolerated as he has declared these to be the facts. Are you serious? Get off your high horse and act like a professional. Does this bother you because they are more successful than you are today? Is it not OK to like something other than what you play?

MY GIRL WANTS TO PARTY ALL THE TIME (repeat 100x)

MY GIRL WANTS TO PARTY ALL THE TIME (repeat 100x)

(still with Love & Respect to Deep Dish, but

the bad wanna be's that then follow! UGH, "I CRINGE" -

Ahhh....Deep Dish's version is OK but not any others because they're not your friends? Are you for real?

IF I HEAR "WORLD HOLD ON" OR THAT VOCAL "ELECTRO"

I FURTHER CRINGE! (sorry Artist?) .....

Yet it still outsold many of your favorites. We must have missed the memo.

I remember last year hearing: FEEL THE LOVE GENERATION

and I swear to you all, I thought it was some joke or a demo?

I couldn't believe how OFF the vocalist was, and then I discover it's

a super famous "international hit" that was known from the Olympics?

I've held back for about 2 years writing something because I did not

want to disrespect the artist and their creativity.

So much for respect. I hope you have thick skin because I'm sure Sinclar et al don't like all of your self-indulgent crap and now may actually say so.

But THIS is what you hear

over and over again in these VIP type clubs played to

"GIRLS AND GUYS GONE WILD ON "SOFAS"

WITH FANCY CLOTHES AND GREYGOOSE BOTTLES!

That could give one F*** about what they heard a DJ play!

These suckers deserve to pay $2000,00 per table! LOL

That's the part I really take offense to. Now you want to tell people how to have a good time. Believe it or not, MOST PEOPLE WHO GO TO CLUBS DON'T CARE WHO THE DJ IS. Most go out to have fun. If sitting in the VIP paying $2K for booze and hanging with hot chicks is what they consider fun, more power to them. Since there are more people who like that than there are people who like standing in front of your booth telling you how great you are and more clubs going that direction, I guess you're just wrong. Why can't you just say that it's not your thing and respect their opinion? And if the people who are actually paying for drinks want to hear that music then that's what the club should play.

THEN THERE'S THE CHEESY ROCK & ROLL MASH-UPS

LIKE PINK FLOYD'S "THE WALL" -

THE LYRICS SAY: "WE DON'T NEED NO EDUCATION" (zzzzzz)

Well, I danny tenaglia, (a DJ for over 3 decades) disagree 1000%!

I DON'T NEED AN EDUCATION FROM A BITTER, SAD LITTLE DJ. SAVE IT FOR ONE OF YOUR GROUPIES, IF THERE ARE ANY LEFT. I will listen to what I want to listen to even if it makes you cringe. You sound like a pompous jackass. Again, who the fuck do you think you are? Because you've been a DJ for 3 decades you think you have some sort of divine rights? IDIOT!

And I can educate them ALL in 70's funk, DEEP HOUSE, Techno, Tribal Tech house and give Free Dance Classes too! (LOL)

Again....save it. I'm doing just fine.

(((((( now I'll tell you how I really feel? )))) -

OK I did .... I released my frustrations! - (((NEXT)))

I've been in the industry in the Miami market for more than a decade. I am 43 years old and grew up here. I heard Danny spin at Cheers in South Miami long before anyone here knew who he was. I have always respected him as an artist and a person. However, as someone who loves our little scene with all its faults I take exception to this nonsense. If you don't like it and it's so bad, go back to New York where the scene is all roses. Everything changes. I guess Danny doesn't get that.

Guest djqba

Hey guys,

Danny's people dropped me a line last night and asked me to remove his post, as the DTourism policy dictates that all posts over there remain the property of DTourism. However, it's a big topic here already, so I'm letting the topic stand with some edits.

i guess he wanted to keep his thoughts somehow private to his loyal dtourism.com fans ... i have an account there but i havent logged in so long that i can no longer read posts ..

it also would've been nice to read what his fans on his website think about his post

in any case .. i dont agree with all of what he wrote

just a few pointers:

i agree with:

- bums? yeah ... i wish the city would somehow put them somehwere else .. cant stand these individuals ... my car has gotten broken into; twice; by these people .. first time they stole the radio, second time they stole 5 years worth of music and my trust worthy headphones ... so on that note i do agree with DT

- commercial house? some of them tracks are good tracks, but i believe he mostly refers to the djs that keep on playing these "commercialized" dance songs over and over again << i always thought this was a huge problem; imagine the kind of crowd that only goes out because they wanna have a few drinks, the kind of people that dont go out because of the music, if in their very few times out and about, lets say: once every 2 months, all they hear is "love generation" im sure they will think "that is it" (about dance music), their opinions about "techno" (cause they call anything electronic techno) wont go further than "world hold on" << this is the dj's fault

now, Danny is refering especifically to downtown Miami ... i wanna know where in downtown Miami he heard these overplayed songs ?

someone said: these songs open peoples minds to dance music << very true! ... just dont play freakin' Bob Sinclar hits CD every Thursday, Friday and Saturday night for 2 years ... THAT way it doesnt help

i dont agree with:

he basically says "all hope is lost"

i dont think Oscar G and his sets from every Saturday at Space can fall into this category .. Oscar always play quality sets and he also support us up and coming producers .. so can't agree with DT on this quote

in any case, i would love to see a good "be yourself" party happening again soon ... Danny is definitely an inspiration to more than one of us (i have even seen Sasha hanging out at one of his parties)

Well said Chib... +1

Guest Mattivi

you're kidding right?

Nick,

Oh biz, pay attention.

Gotta love your supply & demand theory... It's just like little private owned supermarkets that raise prices on water when supply is down thru a hurricane. The last time I checked, that's not exactly legal. But then again, who's cares to keep track of the parking lot scam. Back in 2001, there was about 2 parking lots for 3 clubs. Now there's a million in the area for about 6 clubs. There goes your parking supply & demand theory.

Crime rate downtown? dude, drop your newspaper & step from behind your local tv news for a minute here. We're talking about crime rate inside our clubs. Of course you hear about it more, because it's happening more! Maybe Downtown's crime rate in "general" remains the same, but the crime rate or "fights" in clubs have signifcantly risen in downtown.

On another note...

Biz

well said. i remember when i was coming down from orlando to party at the original space, there was the gated parking lot right across the street, you paid 10bucks, went to the clubbed , partied till noon, walked across the street again, grabbed a dog, and that was it. there was no hassle, space was the only game in town(only real clubkids knew about it), and only rarely would you get haggled by street bums. now its a literal street circus downtown. i agree with most of what barbarina is saying, but biz is right on this one.

Guest JustDade

you're kidding right?

Nick,

Oh biz, pay attention.

On another note...

Biz

well said. i remember when i was coming down from orlando to party at the original space, there was the gated parking lot right across the street, you paid 10bucks, went to the clubbed , partied till noon, walked across the street again, grabbed a dog, and that was it. there was no hassle, space was the only game in town(only real clubkids knew about it), and only rarely would you get haggled by street bums. now its a literal street circus downtown. i agree with most of what barbarina is saying, but biz is right on this one.

OK....where do you park now when you go to Space? If you walk across the street, past Goldrush, under the overpass there is $10 parking. It's City operated and guarded. With the exception of the hot-dog, what's changed?

If the owner of the lot wants to charge $25 that's his right. You don't have to park there. If nobody parked there, he would lower the price but it seems that's not a problem. I find it amazing to hear that the parking guy charges too much from a guy who charges upwards of $20K to play records.

Guest pod

Last time I checked, it isn't cheap to park on the beach, nor New York, nor LA, nor any other urban area. Miami's not unusual in this respect.

Guest DJ Nova

If the owner of the lot wants to charge $25 that's his right. You don't have to park there. If nobody parked there, he would lower the price but it seems that's not a problem. I find it amazing to hear that the parking guy charges too much from a guy who charges upwards of $20K to play records.

I think he has a right to charge upto 20k if the club he is playing for is making upwards around even 500k......it's all relative. Especially with the VIP who spends big money to be at that club......try goin to a club with NO music.....I'd like to see that happen .....ALL VIP BRING YOUR OWN MUSIC ...and leave dance clubs for PEOPLE who like to DANCE!

Guest pod

I've often suggested that VIP clubs could run their musical selections for the evening off of an iPod loaded with some pre-recorded mixes updated monthly.

Pay some local $500/mix and be done with it.

Guest NicoleC

I tried to bite my tongue since I read the originating post, but it is starting to hurt.

I saw this thing go up when there were virtually no replies. At first I questioned it's validity, and I am still concerned about taking it out of context and/or without hearing the other side as to why this was written. There are usually two or more sides to every story, and something tells me we might not be getting the whole picture.

But if Danny Tenaglia really wrote that and meant it for public eyes, then I think he should choose to either never spin in that area or try and do something to change it.

He has choices.

Hate Miami and the scene here? Then leave. But is it necessary for anyone to publicly bash those that live, work AND play here full time? A lot of us are doing the best with what we have, and how can we make it better if one of the local favorites is so obviously slamming what makes up part of our nightlife scene?

Why would Danny write something in a public forum that he knows could make things more difficult for us? Doesn't he have people that live here year round?

I don't quite understand the concept of bad mouthing anyone or thing in a public forum. Not saying that I have never been guilty of the same. I just don't understand it. If you show up to a club, and you don't like the music or the DJ or the bouncers or the people - LEAVE! But to publicly bad mouth it on a forum? Why? Some of us might have enjoyed our evenings, and almost everyone has different tastes in music.

Isn't that allowed? I know some of the biggest music snobs in the city who used to have what they would now consider the CHEESIEST taste in music. Don't get me wrong, I'm not even insulting cheese. As bad as it may be for you, most club-goers LOVES them some "cheese" (myself included). Which is why some of the good remixes of mainstream songs often work for a LOT of people.

So what if people like a Justin Timberlake mix that (fill in the blank) played? Who cares if she hates Italian food and you love Sushi? Isn't it great that we live in a country where we still have some choices and options? But just because you like (or don't like) an option doesn't mean there is "no hope" for it.

It's like when you are flipping channels and come across soft-core porn, some of us change the channel and some of us don't! ;)

And it appears that in this analogy others watch it, are disgusted by it, and then go online and write about it. :P

Guest pod

My my. ;D

I so wish I had my film scanner. I really do. I could dig back into the archives and catch some of the most jaded music-heads in this scene at what they would consider cheese events. I'm talking hands-in-the-air with glowsticks.

Not all of us had the good fortune to come out of the womb liking Richie Hawtin.

Guest JustDade

I think he has a right to charge upto 20k if the club he is playing for is making upwards around even 500k......it's all relative. Especially with the VIP who spends big money to be at that club......try goin to a club with NO music.....I'd like to see that happen .....ALL VIP BRING YOUR OWN MUSIC ...and leave dance clubs for PEOPLE who like to DANCE!

You're absolutely right. DT can ask for whatever he wants. It's up to the club to pay him and them try to turn a profit. HOWEVER.....when DT charges more, the club has to charge more. The only person who suffers is you. I hear tons of complaints when the cover is $40 but if DT charged less then the cover would be less. So who hurts the scene more....the parking guy who charges $25 or the DJ who charges $25K?

By The Way - NO CLUB IN THIS MARKET EVER GROSSED $500K ON ANY DJ EVENT. That's just really ignorant.

FYI - Last time LP did Sasha...lost $ Many conference shows this year....lost $. Ultra had to add rock acts to make $. But it must be the parking that's fucking everything up.

Guest pod

Dance music events lose money partially because a lot of the crowd considers support just showing up and lending their aura to the evening.