Clubplanet Nightlife Community

When Fame Fades as a DJ... Why DT wrote what he wrote..

V. Barbarino

Interesting convo I had with another DJ, definitely not as well known as DT, but it's interesting subject, never broached on this board and I think it's time to broach it!

Djs were huge in terms of being looked up to and yes being famous. True, the avg non clubber has or had no idea who these guys were, but for the better part of ten to 20 years in some cases, chicks threw themselves at djs jocks and the crowds cheered for them, they hung out with Madonna at trendy clubs etc. They got paid huge money, and were treated like rock stars. However with the death of EDM and the DJ, what happens when fame fades?

Most of the Space crowd doesn't know who DT is, or understand his contribution to our scene. For people my age, we heard about the legends, Larry Levin (sp) Frankie Knuckles etc, but for the most part, none of us have seen these "legends" (though Knuckles tour Nerve to pieces, Thanks Jon) it's time for djs to come to grips that fame is fading fast. From the huge jocks to the locals they will have to realize their 15 mintues are over.

Guys like OG will be fine, he's a family man, never got caught up in the scene beside that white belt incident, but others live and die by this stuff.

You no longer hear their names on the radio and no one listens to their sets anymore. I think DT's outburst was reactionary in nature, he's blaming everything except the truth and that truth is, it's nothing to do with DT, it's simply the end of an era, for ALL jocks. A few will stay in the lime light but for the most part DT is now the Larry Levin of our generation, he's something we did, but the remaining clubbers don't him know nor care to.

I'm not famous, but talking to a semi famous dj today, he did admit it's hard. Most got famous as young adults in the early 20's.

So what happens when fame fades?

You get outbursts like DT's.

Guest pod

The DJs that will survive know that they're part of a greater whole, not "the" sole reason for going out.

Guest klubveteran

Guys like OG will be fine, he's a family man, never got caught up in the scene beside that white belt incident,

LOL!

thats why your a legend with a comment like that. ;D

Guest CROWN-ONE

You are correct sir, no trash talk in that post.

Some DJs are handling the "demise of the superstar DJ" thing better than others. Guys who were booked solid for a decade now play for maybe $300-$1000 bucks to a handful of people once a month.

Guest michael^heaven

You no longer hear their names on the radio and no one listens to their sets anymore. I think DT's outburst was reactionary in nature, he's blaming everything except the truth and that truth is, it's nothing to do with DT, it's simply the end of an era, for ALL jocks. A few will stay in the lime light but for the most part DT is now the Larry Levin of our generation, he's something we did, but the remaining clubbers don't him know nor care to.

Spoken like a true Statesider that doesn't nor hasn't traveled across the pond.

The money in europe is drying up for djs.

Guest coach

Well, since like 99.9999999999999999......% of the US clubs do not make money from business across the pond and 99.9999999999999999......% of US clubbers do not get a chance to go over there, so what?

Guest michael^heaven

ROFL!!!!! You always make me haha with your extreme lack of knowledge as to the happenings in the dance industry abroad. Stick with the Miami politics. Your facade is safe there.

Guest Buck White

never broached on this board and I think it's time to broach it!

10 points for broach.

Guest sobe2004

Still a lot of $$$$$ in Ibiza . . .

Guest michael^heaven

&...England, Scotland, Holland, Germany, Spain, Italy, Eastern Europe...shall I continue?

Guest ramon

&...England, Scotland, Holland, Germany, Spain, Italy, Eastern Europe...shall I continue?

Asia and South America as well.

Guest pod

It's taken a beating globally, but it's even worse here in the States.

What it stems from is disco. In the '70s, disco was obviously huge in the US. What happened was the disco demolition. What the end result was that a lot of the people kicking out disco tracks fled to Europe, allowing for the development of more electronic sounds, like Italo and so forth. Electronic largely took hold in Europe and became their 'pop' sound, whereas the US largely turned it's back on electronic sounds as a mainstream form of music.

Basically, it's firmly entrenched as the popular sound in Europe, whereas in the US it is a fringe element at best.

Guest pod

Also, in the States, dance music has to fight the enormous popular music machine, as well as the state religion of blind conformity.

Guest michael^heaven

Plus, as you had mentioned, previously, there is basically zero radio air time for dance music, Stateside.

Guest Josephmama

wow!!!!!! :o Things are getting intense around here. Funny how the topic of this post sounds like vh1 where are they now? :P

Guest coach

Also, in the States, dance music has to fight the enormous popular music machine, as well as the state religion of blind conformity.

And don't forget that in America dance music got closely associated with drugs and such (even though there are more drugs at any rock or country show), which caused the gubmint to crack down on this specific genre, leaving the others mostly alone. I doubt that this has happened in other countries where, as you say, EDM is their "Pop."

Guest tekniQz

I think the music goes in waves.It just needs something or someone to bring it back again.Hopefully.To me i dont care if the scene is going down i dont go because its popular because if i did i wouldnt like EDM id like hiphop. Also what diffrence does it make if the dj your seeing makes 1 million or 3 grand,i dont care.