Clubplanet Nightlife Community

detroit is nothing to fear ... (pictures + videos + reviews from DEMF 2007)

Guest ramon

Guest Philip

loco dice mite have been my fave though, just bc there was like 100 people in there.

look up the tune Minilogue - Urubamba

Loco got a crazy reaction when he dropped it

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest I-CON

i swear there must have been some exchange rate, 3 dollar drinks, i ate like a king in one of the best places in greek town, for less than the price of on drink at Karu,

LOL!!! Next time you're up there check out the Works ;)

http://www.theworksdetroit.com/

Guest AlanS

Well, looks like you all had fun ;D

I'm still there .. mentally.

Hopefully next year there will be a Leftroom party

Guest ramon

Well, looks like you all had fun ;D

I'm still there .. mentally.

Hopefully next year there will be a Leftroom party

hopefully sooner than you think ;)

Guest musicalmissionary

i swear there must have been some exchange rate, 3 dollar drinks, i ate like a king in one of the best places in greek town, for less than the price of on drink at Karu,

I ended up there my first night in town and caught some of A Guy Called Gerald... BANGIN'... then somehow got a ride back to the hotel in some guy's pimped out van with full velvet interior. I was a little sketched at first but I had to follow my nutjob friend's lead. It all worked out in the end... they ended up being cool peeps. The driver's buddy even name-dropped Tomas (aquabooty) so I felt a tiny bit more easy.

Guest jkfunkee

was there for the andrea parker/rich devine party. what a kool lil spot, great crowd, and badass sound till it blew. overall a great party, plus being a part of someone's plus 3 always helps.

late,

j.

Guest ramon
Guest LeVeL

Not to put anybody down but a lot of the reviews posted are really one-sided. Coming on here saying that DEMF was better than WMC is a little bit silly especially when the people posting the reviews are techno lovers who went to a techno music festival, so obviously you got the DJ's you want all there.

Its like a kid in a candy shop, acourse your going to like the festival more.

So come on guys lets be bias here, no reason to put down Miami only because you got what u wanted in D-Town.

Guest funky monkey

Not to put anybody down but a lot of the reviews posted are really one-sided. Coming on here saying that DEMF was better than WMC is a little bit silly especially when the people posting the reviews are techno lovers who went to a techno music festival' date=' so obviously you got the DJ's you want all there.

So come on guys lets be bias here, no reason to put down Miami only because you got what u wanted in D-Town.

[/quote']

yes, I'll admit the reviews sound one sided, but maybe not as much as you think...

I am relatively new to the whole electronic music scene altogether (just over a year since I started listening & loving), and although I've gone to a few techno events here and there over that time period, DEMF was my first serious exposure to the techno music and the scene. I've done two WMCs and the honest truth is that DEMF blows WMC out of the water on so many levels:

quality of music, quality of sound, expense, organization of event, vibe, people, etc.

I didn't really know many of the DJs and wasn't "looking for" anything in particular but this festival, this weekend, that city, made me into a techno music lover!

Miami has it's perks, it's charm, it's pluses over other cities, but Detroit and DEMF truly kicked ass!!! ;D

Guest thelurker

Not to put anybody down but a lot of the reviews posted are really one-sided. Coming on here saying that DEMF was better than WMC is a little bit silly especially when the people posting the reviews are techno lovers who went to a techno music festival' date=' so obviously you got the DJ's you want all there.

[/quote']

Actually, i beg to differ. I for one have been into eletcronica for 9yrs and have prett much always been a lover of progressive house, i didnt even like techno till about a year ago. I still love both genres very much and in generally just like good quality underground dance music (everyone's perception of quality is different so I wont even go there). That being said I consder myself a very impartial reviewer.

For one I would not put down Miami at all, I live here and my friends are here. yes I have issues with alot of the way things are here but I cant really do much about that. The real issue is DEMF vs. WMC. I found DEMF better on so many levels:

1) better musical variety, not just techno but house, tech house, etc.. some great grounbreaking DJs I got to hear

2) cheaper festival $40 for 3 days vs. $200 for 2 days

3) the environment, people were ncier and more into the music, not just getting fucked up for the sake of being fucked up

4) the festival was sooooo organized, Paxahau runs so much of a better show than the clowns who run Ultra. longer time slots, better sound systems, not overbooking DJs, great facilities, portapotties with TP in them(what a concept!), the list goes on....

At the end of the festival I was kind of embarrased at how WMC and Ultra is run and pretty much decided I will be skipping the bulk of parties at WMc next year, save for a couple more intimate/low key gatherings, and will opt for Detroit again. Just my 2cents.

Guest Miss_Digital

[/quote']

not being one sided just being truthful.. i personally like demf better than WMC

i've been listenging to this music for 10+ years techno lets just say was never my first love

Guest ramon

paxahau does such an amazing job with their events. that's how you run an electronic festival. talent is great .. people are taken care of and the set times are posted months in advance and they actually stay true to them!

Guest Miss_Digital

no one was actually bashing miami, we were just point out how good it actually was

Guest thelurker

paxahau does such an amazing job with their events. that's how you run an electronic festival. talent is great .. people are taken care of and the set times are posted months in advance and they actually stay true to them!

amen brotha! So key that they post schedule weeks ahead of time and dont wait till the last day like Ultra. You think they would get such a simple concept down. I saw the Paxahau guys running around the festival like madmen making sure everything was running smoothly. mad props to Paxahau!

Guest LeVeL

Not to put anybody down but a lot of the reviews posted are really one-sided. Coming on here saying that DEMF was better than WMC is a little bit silly especially when the people posting the reviews are techno lovers who went to a techno music festival, so obviously you got the DJ's you want all there.

Actually, i beg to differ. I for one have been into eletcronica for 9yrs and have prett much always been a lover of progressive house, i didnt even like techno till about a year ago. I still love both genres very much and in generally just like good quality underground dance music (everyone's perception of quality is different so I wont even go there). That being said I consder myself a very impartial reviewer.

For one I would not put down Miami at all, I live here and my friends are here. yes I have issues with alot of the way things are here but I cant really do much about that. The real issue is DEMF vs. WMC. I found DEMF better on so many levels:

1) better musical variety, not just techno but house, tech house, etc.. some great grounbreaking DJs I got to hear

2) cheaper festival $40 for 3 days vs. $200 for 2 days

3) the environment, people were ncier and more into the music, not just getting fucked up for the sake of being fucked up

4) the festival was sooooo organized, Paxahau runs so much of a better show than the clowns who run Ultra. longer time slots, better sound systems, not overbooking DJs, great facilities, portapotties with TP in them(what a concept!), the list goes on....

At the end of the festival I was kind of embarrased at how WMC and Ultra is run and pretty much decided I will be skipping the bulk of parties at WMc next year, save for a couple more intimate/low key gatherings, and will opt for Detroit again. Just my 2cents.

You comparing DEMF to a larger event like WMC is your mistake. Hey you had your fun and thats great but your comparing a 3 Day event to a 5 to 7 Day event. WMC had a 2 Day Festival which was catured to a larger scale of people not just techno lovers.

Yeah they probably played Tech House on their sets but you have to realize that those guys are Techno Dj's and believe me I hate labeling Dj's but what they are known by but those guys are techno dj's. WMC caters to everyone that loves EDM and there are afterparties all aroudn the clock. During daytime,afternoon, night-time and afterhours parties. Now pricing is different due to the larger scale of the events and club fees are to the descretion of the venue at hand, its not something that can be controlled by the event organizers.

Like I said its on-sided, I wish you guys would stop comparing the because they are too different.

Guest thelurker

I guess for simplicity of the argument I should just have stated that DEMF is a better overall festival than Ultra, and not bring the WMC into play. You are correct, that is a whole other ball game. that being said everything I said still stands, I felt like DEMF was a way better event than Ultra, and it featured so many genres of music i lost track. I spent alot of day one listening to deep house (on the main stage of all places!). I think you may be confusing the fact that this fest does not book "big names" like tiesto, pvd, morillo, sanchez, deep dish, sander, etc... with it just being a techno fest. The beauty of it was I got exposed to alot of new music and DJs. There is alot of "tech" influence in this fest, that is undeniable, but it is Detroit after all. Anywho I recommend you check it out next year you'd be pleasantly surprised.

Guest musicalmissionary

videos have started turning up on youtube

I've seen almost all of the videos at least twice. I just can't get enough. I was about 10 feet behind Richie just to the left of this camera angle. My friend Ami is posting the video as we speak.

Guest thelurker

Little video I took of Audion performing Mouth 2 Mouth live @ The Masonic. It is short but it conveys how dark and nasty it was in that pitch black room.

OcBs0qHjNAM

Guest jkfunkee

Like I said its on-sided' date=' I wish you guys would stop comparing the because they are too different.

[/quote']

being a HOUSE fan, i can see why people liked DEMF better. but, the comparison is legit. dj's, do**, broads, music, dancing, and even afterhours. i have to travel to get to both events, and if i had to choose between them next year it would be THE D. it just isn't paxahau either, all the productions we attended were topshelf. before bitching bout reviews, try attending and make ur review.

Guest Philip

Little video I took of Audion performing Mouth 2 Mouth live @ The Masonic. It is short but it conveys how dark and nasty it was in that pitch black room.

OcBs0qHjNAM

this video conveys the night exactly. well done!

Guest ramon

l_40bbadac9c6340bff19629f3f6e2a486.jpg

higher intelligence agency @ the pyramid stage

l_3c4e4fc8f1cf0bf7bda1279af7c59dab.jpg

higher intelligence agency @ the pyramid stage

l_2ae1eb999686c21b02027c953cdb5e03.jpg

rhythm & sound @ the pyramid stage

l_e58f456d66d076bd0e34e77d52efda9f.jpg

rhythm & sound @ the pyramid stagte

l_2f91b600e664a773f35c05b7d4131c8c.jpg

rhythm & sound @ the pyramid stage

l_a84379ff54d61c59f8967d4110828d5f.jpg