Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Do you have any hearing loss?

V. Barbarino

Do you have any hearing loss?  

1. 1. Do you have any hearing loss?

I asked Tsettos a while ago about his hearing, he told me once he mixes his track he turns the monitors off, which I never noticed before but thinking back, that's how he does it. He has no hearing loss.

The 1st time we played Space, Roland opened for Denny, I distinctly remember Roland saying something to the effect of, that this is how we party in the booth and he cranked up the monitors while Denny was mixing (Denny didn't care) but it was so loud, I had to leave the booth. I couldn't believe anyone would sit in there for hours on end like that.

This came up in convo last night with an industry person. One of the main reasons I stopped going out was due to my hearing, I have no loss but I was getting nervous I'd end up like my grandmother. So I stopped going out.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pod

Depends on the plugs. I've got to go and get fitted for custom ones. My health plan will cover it since it's related to my occupation.

The custom ones are clear and you don't really see them.

Texas headphones and all.

Like I told ya, some guys are deaf as a post.

What?

but what about the clubbers? We know lots of jocks are deaf or going deaf which to me is nuts, at 1st sign if i didn't protect myself, I'd quit djing. EDM is dead, unless you are broke, retire!

Guest FAST

What?

but what about the clubbers? We know lots of jocks are deaf or going deaf which to me is nuts, at 1st sign if i didn't protect myself, I'd quit djing. EDM is dead, unless you are broke, retire!

all part of the job

if you worked construction and fell off a ladder would you quit also ?

occupational hazrd, but well worth it for these guys.....

What?

all part of the job

worth it? Are you kidding me? 99% of American house djs will be out of jobs in 5 years, which means most of them will be 40 and going deaf, which leaves on avg 37 years left of their lives being hard of hearing.. That is a stupid way to live your life. The retirement years will suck if you can't hear.

Guest spacecadet

ALL GONE PETE TONG scary thought for a regular clubber cant say if i do because the last time i took one of those hearing test was in HS

Guest coach

I was born with Tinitis, but other than that my hearing is great, way better than average, and that is after a lot of years in the clubs.

Guest JMT

there was one night 2 years ago where my left ear rang for days after going to space.

now i always bring plugs when im in the louder environments.

Guest jkfunkee

nothing like the sound in THE D. at demf it got progressively quieter as the event continued but still the loudest sound i have ever heard for a festival/outdoor electronic event, but the clubs were SUPER loud too. at the tronic party, u could feel the bass like 15-2o ft away from the speakers. made the hair on my arms stand up a few times. earplugs didnt do too much either...worse than space on a LOUD nite. i wish bad hearing is gonna be the only collateral damage for the past 15 years of going out.

late,

j.

Guest FAST

What?

all part of the job

worth it? Are you kidding me? 99% of American house djs will be out of jobs in 5 years, which means most of them will be 40 and going deaf, which leaves on avg 37 years left of their lives being hard of hearing.. That is a stupid way to live your life. The retirement years will suck if you can't hear.

your opinion of course , im sure any DJ who loves what they do will disagree on it being a stupid way to live life...

and I am not talking about dj's who makes a few hundred bucks a gig,

but DJ's are def taking a chance for doing what they love, for people who love them for it, for very good $..........but its a risk they all know about, and they all take so they can do what they love,

and who cares about hearing when your old, its a perfect way to get out of listening to a old nagging wife.

and how many big time dj's do you know that are deaf anyway ????

maybe losing the highs and some hearing, but none that I know of are deaf, and way more then 5 yrs in the biz (international talent also - unless you only think american dj's have ear drums )

Guest coach

People do way crazier things for a living than just risk a little hearing loss. Hell, people do stupidier shit than that just for the fun of it.

Guest FAST

People do way crazier things for a living than just risk a little hearing loss. Hell, people do stupidier shit than that just for the fun of it.

ever watch "dangerous catch"

Guest HouseJunkie

Growing up listening to multi-Kilowatt sound systems that would make space seems like an IPod in comparison, I thought I would have suffered some hearing loss but thankfully I haven’t. I think the key is to give your ear time to recover, limit your expose to once or twice a week.

Guest Buck White

secretly, I know of a few well known djs who are loosing their hearing. Most won't admit it, it's something that is not spoken about in the industry..

Losing their hearing, Buttermaker. You're creating extra work for yourself.

Guest endymion

I think the key is to give your ear time to recover, limit your expose to once or twice a week.

I was curious if that were true. Found a paper about it. Looks like it might be true.

"Rest or quiet periods between successive exposures afford some protection for the ear, as long as the periods are not too brief.

It has been shown that with interrupted exposures, the pattern of sensory-cell loss is the same as that with continuous noise while the magnitude of damage is generally less (Bohne et al., 1985; 1987). The amount of protection afforded by intermittency depends on the amount of rest between successive exposures. Too short a rest (quiet) period results in no protection. With longer quiet periods, some injured sensory cells may recover and the amount of damage will be proportionally less.

After a recovery period of a few days to one month, the histological appearance of the ear is considerably different from that seen acutely. The recovery period allows irreversibly damaged cells to complete the process of degeneration. Remaining supporting cells participate in the formation of scars on the endolymphatic surface of the organ of Corti (i.e., reticular lamina) and on the basilar membrane. This period can be termed the chronic phase of noise damage because hearing thresholds have stabilized and most organ of Corti degeneration resulting from the exposure has been completed. The exact appearance of a chronic noise-damaged ear depends on the millimeter extent (apex-to-base) of the initial damage and the rapidity with which the reticular lamina scars over. Some variability in the extent of damage in the chronic noise-exposed ear appears to have a genetic component (i.e., variation in susceptibility to noise)."

Guest dre4

by the way ipods and other portable music devices are bad for your ears as well, especially those ear buds. i read somewhere that the volume should be on 30% for such devices

Guest psboyuk

I went to Pawn Shop this past saturday also - wasn't there 5 mins b4 I felt the need for my earplugs!!!

It was DAMN loud in there that night. I've been really paying attention to my hearing over the last year or two. Clubs need to realize that if they make all of their punters go deaf, they won't have any business!!! DJs need to realize this also! I've DJed with other DJs and had to leave the booth because the monitors were up too loud also!!

This past conference, a friend of mine had a kit with her that would measure the dB levels in the club and she had info sheets from a company - Etymotic Research - that will take a mould of your ear and build a custom ear plug for you - I think they specialize in earplugs for musicians. Their website is:

www.etymotic.com

I had a mould taken and should get my earplugs soon!!

We need to protect our ears, people!!!!! I don't know what I would do if I lost my hearing. That movie - It's All Gone, Pete Tong - could be where we are going, maybe a little extreme, but not improbable!!!

~Dennis