Clubplanet Nightlife Community

I Need Your Opinions and Advice, Junkies

Guest Slide On The Ice

Guest Slide On The Ice

It's been 5 months since I began my attempts to secure a roommate, via ads in roommate sites, getting countless calls, conducting interviews and giving tours, and I am still without a roommate, and still minus the monthly money from a roomie. My cousin, who used to be my roommate (ugh), had always complained that my Lego city did not belong in the dining room, that normal people don't keep an 8 foot long, 3.5 foot wide, 33,000-piece Lego city in their dining room where a table should be instead. Waddeva.

He also said before moving out, and has repeated in the five months since, that other people will not want to live with an 8 foot long, 3.5 foot wide, 33,000-piece Lego city in the dining room where a table should be instead, and has advised me numerous times to dismantle the city and store it somewhere out of the way. I have not done that, because 1. doing such a thing is not easy and I don't really have any room to store it (the 3 base pieces are a few feet wide in and of themselves), and 2. because I love the city which I am proud of and consider a representation of myself and my lifelong creativity.

So a typical conversation on the phone sounds like this:

"Did you get a roommate yet? No? Damn! I told you before, Ron; I'm telling you again, nobody is going to move in with that 8 foot long, 3.5 foot wide, 33,000-piece Lego city in the dining room where a table should be instead. You have to take it apart and put it in storage."

Meanwhile, a typical conversation with a majority, in fact nearly all potential roommates I've shown the townhouse to, has been like this:

Me-- "How do you feel about having this 8 foot long, 3.5 foot wide, 33,000-piece Lego city in the dining room where a table should be instead? And by the way, I'm planning to buy a small dining room table and put it here in the small space between the city and the wall there."

Them- "I don't have a problem, this thing is incredible...I am so impressed you built this, this is amazing! I don't care about a table, I like to eat in front of the TV. Really, this thing is so cool."

(many of them spend several minutes, and one fella spent up to 15 minutes, looking it over and asking me questions about it.)

My cousin counters my informing him of that by saying, "Of course they're not going to admit to your face that they don't want to live with an 8 foot long, 3.5 foot wide, 33,000-piece Lego city in the dining room where a table should be instead. But when they leave they probably say 'no way' to themselves."

I even had a few sci-fi fans and sci-fi geeks go ga-ga over the city, pouring their eyes over it like a kid in a toy store. Those types most of all I figured would have no problem at all with an 8 foot long, 3.5 foot wide, 33,000-piece Lego city in the dining room where a table should be instead. But yet person after person who tells me they love my condo and the lake view and the kitchen, blah blah blah, say they have a couple of other places to look at before they decide...and then I never hear from them again (presumably because they found a place they liked better).

One guy, who loved all the same sci-fi and fantasy TV and films that I love, who I got along so well with that it was a joy to accept him as a roomie, gave me a deposit for $100 and announced plans to move in the following weekend. I thought it was finally a done deal. But then he later backed out, changed his mind. I kept his $100; the mudder fugger.

Then, a lady came over and we talked for an hour and a half. An hour and a half! We definately clicked, for sure. And she assured me she had no problem living with an 8 foot long, 3.5 foot wide, 33,000-piece Lego city in the dining room where a table should be instead. She did say she had another place to look at, but she also talked extensively about her plans for her living space in my condo, about the stir-fry dinners I told her about which she was eager to try, about her own prize recipes she was eager to share with me, about her relief that we had clicked and were getting along so well, a sign of the times to come with her living there. When she left I felt funny asking her for a deposit, even despite my former experiences.

Sure enough, despite her announcement that she planned to rent a truck and move her stuff in this very weekend, I never heard from her again, and she never returned the voice mails I left her.

*sigh*

So WTF? Are they simply finding other places to live that are bigger and nicer? Or do they really have a problem living with an 8 foot long, 3.5 foot wide, 33,000-piece Lego city in the dining room where a table should be instead? Should I dismantle my 8 foot long, 3.5 foot wide, 33,000-piece Lego city in the dining room where a table should be instead, and shove the boxes in storage? Or should I continue to be broke and yet enjoy my 8 foot long, 3.5 foot wide, 33,000-piece Lego city in the dining room where a table should be instead?

Most of all, how do normal (IE, not me) people really feel about an 8 foot long, 3.5 foot wide, 33,000-piece Lego city in their dining room where a table should be instead?

PICT1261.jpg

PicsontheWalls7.jpg

PICT0500-1.jpg

Guest Slide On The Ice

Hey can you post up a pic of the lego city. That sounds cool.

I was doing that as you posted. I'm putting more up, now.

Guest mr.miami

Where is your place located at? How much you asking for rent? You try finding people going to college?

Guest Slide On The Ice

$600 a month including utilities (because I got desperate, where before it was $600 plus half the utilities). It's in Deerfield near Sample road, and I talked to a couple of colleges about putting up a bulletin and they said that I couldn't do it there. I do have the listing on a College-roommate site though, as well as Craigslist, roommates.com, roomster.com, sublet.com, and a couple of others free listing sites. The Sun Sentinal charges a lot for just a 3 line, 3 day ad so I didn't list it there. I did list it in Pennysaver classifieds, though.

Guest mr.miami

I dont see a problem with it but perhaps you can move it to your room. Or next time someone comes in tell them your nephew made it for you. If it is a girl make up some sweet story there.

Please dont take this the wrong way, I have never met you but you seem like a nice guy from the boards. However, from MY perspective (and this is MINE only), if I walked into an adult mans house and he had that thing on display so that I had to look at it everytime I was in the house I would be turned off. Its great to have a hobby but you have to keep it under control and contained. Why do you keep it up? How long have you had it? Take extensive pictures of it, frame them nicely and hang them in your room. You have to make sacrifices if you plan to have roommates.

Guest swirlundergrounder

LMFAO!

Why don't you give paid tours of your lego city on the weekends to help pay for your rent/mortgage??

Guest swirlundergrounder

The question is this, is your lego city at your age worth 7200 bucks a year???

Fuck no, take the city and sell it or toss it out.

chicks don't like legos.

I bet you chicks would like it a lot of it was an 8.5 foot long dildo or a lego sybian..

:P

Guest swirlundergrounder

I have another idea..

Why don't you build a dining room table and chair set out of your legos..

That might work...

Guest Buck White

Build one of these...hang it directly above that multi-hued metropolis...and then repost the pics in all of the aforementioned websites. lego-deathstar2.jpg

Guest coach

I can't imagine that this would be a deal-breaker for most people. I mean a deal-breaker. If they were on the edge, this might push them over. But, if they liked everything else, the price, and you, then the city would not kill it for them. I mean, it is just one little place along one wall.

However, that being said, as a 2-decade Lego afficianado and builder, I have to say that Lego creations, by definition, are temporary. It is a fantastic creation. Have someone with a real camera come over and take some good photos of it. That way you can print out some large photos, if you want. I also like the idea of renting a Godzilla suit and doing a video of the destruction. In any case, if you have had it more than 3 months, it's time to go. Time to build something new.

i don't think your lego city is a big deal because if sum1 really needs a table they can easily buy some bar chairs and eat on the countertop and from the pix it also looks like u have enuf room to put a small round table with 2-3 chairs.you can move the sofa diagonally towards the tv to face the tv and that way you can push the lego table back alil to make room for the bar chairs. but if i were you and u were to end up getting a roomie, just to be safe i would secure the lego city a bit by building a shelf that u can mantle on the wall and if u really wana be safe, cover it with an acrylic plastic window thing that u can attach to the shelf and wall so its protected and raise it alil higher so that way it will look cooler and since its against the wall without being on top of a table, u will have room for a rectangular table to eat and have some cool art to display and it can be a conversation piece whenever someone sits down on the table to do wutever. or you can always move it to another wall of your apt if u think its still an issue thats keeping u from getting a roomie.

listen man, i was a big fan of the legos. i had the entire fleet of pirate/frigate ships way back when, plus some castles and whatnot. coach said it best: legos (almost by definition) are temporary. hypothesize, if you were to destroy the whole thing, what would it change in you? NOTHING. you'd be the same ron. you've become way to attached to those legos. dude, destroy the whole thing, and laugh about it. they're just fucking legos. seriously.

/i would not live with you if you had that city...where a table should be...yadda yadda yadda (whatever you cut & pasted several times). in simplest terms...would it make a girl like you more??? no way, not ever, not in a thousand years would a lego city make a girl like you MORE. you should work wholeheartedly towards anything that would make a girl like you more....there are times in life to say goodbye to the past and do something new. i'll say it again, Godzilla; youtube. you never know, it could turn into chongalicious....

Guest swirlundergrounder

Why don't you just move it into your bedroom?

Then people would think you were really freaky!

Besides Ron, Coach is right. Legos are temporary!

Get with the program and build an OPTIMUS PRIME vs MEGATRON Lego display in anticipation of the upcoming Transformers movie.

The city of Corisant is so 2001! :P

Guest swirlundergrounder

tf1.jpg

tf2.jpg

You should call up this lady to be your roomate!

Look at her dining table with all the Transformers..

Guest lyrik

Donate it to the lego museum and be be a lego legend...besides I think its more because you look like Dave Attell over the legos that you cannot get a roomie.

Guest endymion

PICT1261.jpg

PicsontheWalls7.jpg

PICT0500-1.jpg

WOW, that's really amazing. But it belongs in a 'hobby' area of your house, by the model trains or whatever. If your place is too small to have a garage or something for a hobby area then the Lego city needs to live in storage for a few years until you can afford a hobby room.

Before I moved to South Beach, I was really into reef aquariums, stupidly-expensive marine aquariums that use rocks instead of filters, and that are extremely difficult to maintain because they're all coral. An 850-square-foot apartment is just too small to keep a reef so I had to put that hobby on hold for a few years. I had an $8000+ reef in my office that I had to break down and give the corals away to other reefkeepers. It was very sad. At least your Lego buildings won't die if you break down the city, and you can rebuild it once you have a flat with a den.

Guest clubchicky

I think that is soooo cool!!! haha....If I needed a place to stay I would move in plus help you expand on it...I love those things....i personally wouldn't build one in my house but hey...it's not taking up too much space anyway

While I enjoy staring at your lego city in amazement, I personally would not want to see it daily in my house.. plus i like to cook and enjoy sit down meals with my significant other so i actually use my dining room table..

Perhaps people come in and see it and think that you're a weirdo for having it ???