Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Why doesn't Miami book Hip hop Guest Dj's

Guest LeVeL

Guest aj2234

Because most people who go to the hip-hop clubs can't tell the difference between DJ Red Alert or DJ Ipod. Any Joe Blow can be a hip-hop DJ. Come to my hometown and I'll prove it to you.

any joe blow can dj house' date=' hip hop or anything else. its when you get to real talented djs like craze, atrak and ztrip where they make the turntable an instrument that you can see what real talent behind the decks is.

[/quote']

Sorry, but NOT any Joe Blow can pack a club with house music. Mixing hip-hop only requires that you pick out what's popluar and push the play button. There's a deejay locally that comes to mind. He's NEVER deejayed in his life and he plays for a PACKED house every Friday. He's a hip-hop dj who has ZERO technical ability and even jokes about it. All he does is download the radio station's top 20 chart to his Ipod and away he goes.....

See what happens when a house music deejay has ZERO technical ability, he has ZERO people in the club. I understand technical ability like Craze, etc. But their technical ability is not necessary, whereas, with a house deejay it's a prerequisite.

anyone can learn to mix one record into the next house or hip hop. doesnt matter the genre. and ive heard house djs who cant really mix either

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pod

In general though, dance music DJs who don't have technical skills tend to lose their jobs quicker. In major club markets. One of my friends 'plays' regularly in Aspen as a dance music DJ and he sucks hardcore, since the crowd and the owners don't know any better or they don't care since he's cheap.

Guest slamminshaun

I have yet to see a house music dj pack a house with his Ipod...but keep clinging to that thought if you'd like.

Guest aj2234

I have yet to see a house music dj pack a house with his Ipod...but keep clinging to that thought if you'd like.

they dont do it with ipods they do it with laptops ;)

Guest Blackiechan76

Sponsored by Smith and Wesson?

Wow...you're ignorant. Do you even listen to Hip-Hop or even know who the artists are?

Guest slamminshaun

Wow...you're ignorant. Do you even listen to Hip-Hop or even know who the artists are?

Do rappers not glorify Smith and Wesson in their lyrics????? Cypress Hill, Mobb Deep, 2Pac, The Game....fuck, even Will Smith has rapped about Smith and Wesson in their songs. What's so ignorant about Barbarino's post if they're constantly talking about the brand themselves???

Guest Blackiechan76

Do rappers not glorify Smith and Wesson in their lyrics????? Cypress Hill' date=' Mobb Deep, 2Pac, The Game....fuck, even Will Smith has rapped about Smith and Wesson in their songs. What's so ignorant about Barbarino's post if they're constantly talking about the brand themselves???

[/quote']

My initial thought process of Hip-Hop culture isn't about violence and sex. It's always been about the symbiotic relationship of the art, music, fashion and life.

Guest slamminshaun

Do rappers not glorify Smith and Wesson in their lyrics????? Cypress Hill, Mobb Deep, 2Pac, The Game....fuck, even Will Smith has rapped about Smith and Wesson in their songs. What's so ignorant about Barbarino's post if they're constantly talking about the brand themselves???

My initial thought process of Hip-Hop culture isn't about violence and sex. It's always been about the symbiotic relationship of the art, music, fashion and life.

There's nothing like art....

Pipin%20Hot%20Hoes%202%20DVD.gif

And music to bring us together....

monch.jpg

And fashion gurus...

20060410-lil_wayne_bape.jpg

Guest LdySphynx

67 posts, huh?

Boy aren't you in for a real treat, sit back and enjoy the ride!!!

Guest Blackiechan76

Do rappers not glorify Smith and Wesson in their lyrics????? Cypress Hill' date=' Mobb Deep, 2Pac, The Game....fuck, even Will Smith has rapped about Smith and Wesson in their songs. What's so ignorant about Barbarino's post if they're constantly talking about the brand themselves???

[/quote']

There's nothing like art....

Pipin%20Hot%20Hoes%202%20DVD.gif

And music to bring us together....

monch.jpg

And fashion gurus...

20060410-lil_wayne_bape.jpg

Alright Lowest Common Denominator...so this isn't art?

brooklyn_hiphop_1.jpg

08.28.HipHopMain.jpgsubterranean.jpg

They aren't real artists?

deadprez2.jpg

k-os.jpgmos_def_01.jpg

Is this not reputable and up to par with credible fashion standards?

Baby%20Phat%20Denim1.jpgsep_21_rohaun_designs_iview_urb1_exclusive1.jpg

hiphopsummitSNP_wideweb__430x297.jpg

Please let's not go into this even further before you reinforce my original statement. I would highly suggest you turn off MTV and/or any other mainstream media propaganda. It's obviously rotted your brain and hindered your ability to think clearly. Oh wait, I forgot...it's the "stereotypes"...We always have to resort to those when we don't understand a particular sect of the human race.

Guest pod

Unfortunately, artists like that won't grace the stages or decks of a Miami nightclub anytime soon. Socially aware hip-hop artists simply won't sell to a crowd that considers Daddy Yankee and El General heroes.

Guest aj2234

Unfortunately, artists like that won't grace the stages or decks of a Miami nightclub anytime soon. Socially aware hip-hop artists simply won't sell to a crowd that considers Daddy Yankee and El General heroes.

nas

mos def

talib kweli

pharoahe monche

are all "socially aware" and will be performing in miami aug 4 to a sell out crowd.

Guest pod

But count how many are there for them specifically. I've helped with big fests before with similar artists, and they're always sideline acts, at best. Unfortunately.

Book them alone in a club, umm forget about it unless you're getting a good deal.

Like with any performer, you have to explain to the club owner what the financial benefit is. It's a tough enough sell for dance artists (as you know) but can you imagine trying to convince a major club to book one of these guys? Then again, you probably have.

Guest aj2234

But count how many are there for them specifically. I've helped with big fests before with similar artists, and they're always sideline acts, at best. Unfortunately.

Book them alone in a club, umm forget about it unless you're getting a good deal.

Like with any performer, you have to explain to the club owner what the financial benefit is. It's a tough enough sell for dance artists (as you know) but can you imagine trying to convince a major club to book one of these guys? Then again, you probably have.

mos def and talib sold out revolution. so did wu tang

Guest eroc0411

I grew up a hip hop kid... U kno in the mean streets of long island (Insert joke here) what i mean i grew up in an era where hip hop was an art form... U know albums like the "chronic" "cypress hill 1" "pharcyde" "Yo mtv raps" all late 80's early 90's type shit... Now what we got here is an embarrassment to the past... Only dj's i'd go c that's hip hop is dj funk master flex and Fat man scoop. Not for their skillz... But cause its a fun atmosphere and the ladies show up... + its a riot watching fat man scoop take his shirt off and watch his FAT ass dance!!! dj clue is always at sobe live... ANd dj jazzy jeff had a stint at the shellborne... Not a bad party at all!

Guest LeVeL

Dam there are a lot of ignorant people on this bitch..

Shaun stick to your politics and finance talk, because you really dont know what your talking about here.

As far as Dj's are concerned, anybody who has Dj'ed the both genre's will tell you that its way easier to be a EDM Dj than a Hip Hop Dj'.

But as far as the Dj's I have mentioned, they in no way play the same tracks that your usualy hip hop Dj around here plays. The resident Hip Hop Dj's in clubs play commercial hip hop and what the guys I have mentioned play underground,classics and tracks that you can dance and groove too.

Its like comparing your Resident Dj @ The Fifth to a Guest Dj who's playing Space. Anybody that know's about hip hop knows this...so get familiar.

Guest myles hie

a good, well put together hip hop mix by a jock who knows how to mix hip hop right, is just as exciting as any dance mix.

but..

There is nothing worse than a crap hip hop mix in the club or in the tape/cd deck. Backspinning the record out of a mix is not considered mixing! :P

Guest pod

Its like comparing your Resident Dj @ The Fifth to a Guest Dj who's playing Space. Anybody that know's about hip hop knows this...so get familiar.

Like I said though, those who "know" hip-hop are fewer than those who know dance music in Miami. So don't expect guest hip-hop DJs anytime in the near future on a grand scale.

Guest musicalmissionary

Like I said though, those who "know" hip-hop are fewer than those who know dance music in Miami.

I disagree with this statement. First of all, fans of old-school hip-hop and crap hip-hop are not mutually exclusive groups... there is a lot of overlap. In addition old-school hip-hop pre-dates dance music and enjoyed higher popularity for a longer period of time... so I have no doubt it has a larger fanbase. Here's a rule of thumb... any musical genre that contains words is going to be more popular than EDM.