Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Why doesn't Miami book Hip hop Guest Dj's

Guest LeVeL

Guest LeVeL

any musical genre that contains words is going to be more popular than EDM.

So true..one thing is to speak about this in a EDM Forum as Cooljunkie, its obvious that the demographic on the forums is EDM not Hip Hop.

The reason I posted this was because I dont see it done too often around here not to bash a specific genre.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Seb

As far as Dj's are concerned' date=' anybody who has Dj'ed the both genre's will tell you that its way easier to be a EDM Dj than a Hip Hop Dj'.

[/quote']

its true in some ways there is a lot more technical ability involved in mixing Hip Hop. As far as beat matching is concerned it is harder to maintain and match Hip hop beats compared to House. Also the tracks are not as formated and programed for mixing as House is. Not to mention all the beat juggling, scratching, transforming. Definately a hell of a lot of technical skill involved.

Guest coach

Wow, I skipped this thread for a while because I figured it would just be a bunch of shit-slinging. And while there has been some of that, there's also been some actual discussion, as well as a few surprises (like musicalmissionary talking positive about hip hop and Buck posting a photo of Shaun's family).

I think both Pod and MM are close to the point. Pod points out that the market-segment of well-informed hip-hoppers is smaller than that of EDM, whereas MM points out that hip-hop, in all ways, has always been a larger market than EDM.

So, here's the deal. If you already have a large market of people who are coming to see hip-hop because it is "popular", then why bother to bring a name? If you club is already full thanks to DJ Ipod, bringing a big name does not make you any more money, it just costs you more expenses. The problem is not that the market is too small to support the cost of a high quality DJ, it is that the market is too large to warrent it.

Guest DJ Christian

Sponsored by Smith and Wesson?

Wow...you're ignorant. Do you even listen to Hip-Hop or even know who the artists are?

Do rappers not glorify Smith and Wesson in their lyrics????? Cypress Hill, Mobb Deep, 2Pac, The Game....fuck, even Will Smith has rapped about Smith and Wesson in their songs. What's so ignorant about Barbarino's post if they're constantly talking about the brand themselves???

My initial thought process of Hip-Hop culture isn't about violence and sex. It's always been about the symbiotic relationship of the art, music, fashion and life.

There's nothing like art....

Pipin%20Hot%20Hoes%202%20DVD.gif

And music to bring us together....

monch.jpg

And fashion gurus...

20060410-lil_wayne_bape.jpg

Alright Lowest Common Denominator...so this isn't art?

brooklyn_hiphop_1.jpg

08.28.HipHopMain.jpgsubterranean.jpg

They aren't real artists?

deadprez2.jpg

k-os.jpgmos_def_01.jpg

Is this not reputable and up to par with credible fashion standards?

Baby%20Phat%20Denim1.jpgsep_21_rohaun_designs_iview_urb1_exclusive1.jpg

hiphopsummitSNP_wideweb__430x297.jpg

Please let's not go into this even further before you reinforce my original statement. I would highly suggest you turn off MTV and/or any other mainstream media propaganda. It's obviously rotted your brain and hindered your ability to think clearly. Oh wait, I forgot...it's the "stereotypes"...We always have to resort to those when we don't understand a particular sect of the human race.

wow. no offense but this tit-for-tat is retarded. hip hop, as with all arts, has the capacity to be both high and low. whoever's arguing for the high art aspect in this one though is a bit up on her horse. you threw up dead prez (one of my favorites) as an example. they're the quintessential embodiment of what's both great and bullshit about hip hop, like with DMX. it's "pray, thank jesus, blah blah" then "kill fucking white people" then "eat vegetables" all in the same sentence.

at the end of the day it's all music and a good time, but please, spare me the ivy league analysis of hip hop as some super-pure high art. some of it edges to that level, but most of it is loaded with violent, misogynist, lowbrow, uneducated bullshit - FAR more ignorant and sad than anything put out by little top-40 white girls and similar non-ghetto tripe.

great hip hop is rare, great hip hop fans are more rare, and overshadowing it all is a huge market of embarrassing music

Guest LeVeL

wow. no offense but this tit-for-tat is retarded. hip hop, as with all arts, has the capacity to be both high and low. whoever's arguing for the high art aspect in this one though is a bit up on her horse. you threw up dead prez (one of my favorites) as an example. they're the quintessential embodiment of what's both great and bullshit about hip hop, like with DMX. it's "pray, thank jesus, blah blah" then "kill fucking white people" then "eat vegetables" all in the same sentence.

at the end of the day it's all music and a good time, but please, spare me the ivy league analysis of hip hop as some super-pure high art. some of it edges to that level, but most of it is loaded with violent, misogynist, lowbrow, uneducated bullshit - FAR more ignorant and sad than anything put out by little top-40 white girls and similar non-ghetto tripe.

great hip hop is rare, great hip hop fans are more rare, and overshadowing it all is a huge market of embarrassing music

Dam from what I gather from your response you seem to be too pissed off right now, relax and go smoke a spliff man.

Your another person who's riding on their high horse because u like Electronic Dance Music and now dislikes Hip Hop for moving on and pregressing with the times.

If you haven't noticed in every genre of music you have your good an your bad. You have your artists that delivers a postitive message and your artists that delivers realistic messages that are happening in the world now.

It so happens that Hip Hop displays alot of the realistic messages due to a lot of the artists having a hard upbringing in their neighborhoods, they rap about what they see or do. Your going to have tracks that will provide with positive messages also and its up to the fanbase to garner appreciation for it.

Its really funny to me when people criticize Hip Hop and yet EDM fans dig a lot of tracks with no messages in the song. In reality this applies to Hip Hop also, eventhough the lyrics have a lot to do with a song now in days, a lot of people like songs due to their beat and the way it makes them dance alone.

So there are a lot of elements that lead to the appreciation of the genre.

Guest wasted24_7

Its an insult to compare 90% of the artists performing at that concert to the likes of Lil wayne, 50 cent or any other pop rap artist for that matter. These artists have there own unique style, sound and following for the most part, and it isnt the gun toting tall tee wearing "thugs", rather a more cultured fan base. Im going to this concert and Im far from ghetto ;D

I distinclty remember Mos Def hosting mansion about 3 years ago, pretty sure the event did well.

Many local hip hop Dj's bring their own sound to hip hop, you just have to listen to it. If you have talent theres far more to it than hitting play. Mr.Mauricio, Cardi, Konflict are all great examples.

Guest LdySphynx

Ok, well I for one like all types of Genre...if its music and I can dance to it then I like it.

Im not strictly EDM nor will I ever be, I grew up on the old school hip hop and still to this day like it and enjoy the new ones. Now my preference of music when I go to party EDM, but every now and again I don't feel like House or EDM in general...so it a good thing there are other types of genre out there to party too.

I'm Latin, so I love my Latin music...whether it be Salsa, Merengue, Reggueton(yes I said it).

But when it comes down to the whole Hip Hop says this and that, well there are EDM songs tha promote sex and drug use(ALOT)!!!

Almost every genre has it negative side, cause to be honest with you if it wasn't for the DRUGS, EDM would not be such a hit...and don't sit there and tell me that it would be...cause then what do 70%(i'm going low) of people do when they go to those events. Yeah you have your hardcore EDM fans, but more than likely they are on something.

So if your stereotyping Hip Hop, you might as well do it to EDM as well.

Let's not be Hypocrites here.

Besides it's MUSIC THAT MAKES THE WORLD GO ROUND NOT EDM!!!

Guest pod

Well, a lot of you on here might be into the sort of hip-hop that AJ is promoting, and that Level lusts for, but at the end of the day, you've got to look at the audience in this town as a whole. Simply put, to them, the hip-hop they like is what you would hear on any given night at say, Mansion, Nikki, Pearl, Dream, SET, Opium, etc...in other words, the clubs where the DJs are generally just playing off setlists based on what's hot on Power 96 this week.

Guest MIAMIROCKSTAR

id like to see the remaining of RUN DMC do an act here in miami Rev Run & russell simmons that would do good anything oldschool like that.

Guest myles hie

But when it comes down to the whole Hip Hop says this and that, well there are EDM songs tha promote sex and drug use(ALOT)!!!

put yo money where yo mouth is.

name 3 dance music songs that promote sex and drug use.

Guest LdySphynx

Just in case you're not being sarcastic:

1. La La Land

2. Any Lords of Acid song

3. Do Ya Think I'm Sexy

LMAO ;D

Guest LeVeL

are freaking retarded...

Guest myles hie

Just in case you're not being sarcastic:

1. La La Land

2. Any Lords of Acid song

3. Do Ya Think I'm Sexy

I'll give you a half a point for LaLa Land, it has ananti-drug slant to it too

LOA? thats reaaaly stretching it

Do ya think? - are you talking about the Rod Stewert song?

Guest myles hie

But when it comes down to the whole Hip Hop says this and that' date=' well there are EDM songs tha promote sex and drug use(ALOT)!!!

[/quote']

are freaking retarded...

?

Guest pod

I didn't know if you being sarcastic or not. ;D

That being said, there are songs out there in probably any genre outside of classical music and opera that promote drug use and sex.

Good for them if they do.

Guest LdySphynx

Hahahahahahahahaha, are you fucking serious...dude do not kid yourself and accept what it is, and I suppose you are also going to tell me that there is no drug use in the EDM scene as well.

Dude go crawl back under the rock you climb out of, cause you obviously have no clue as to what your saying let alone talking about.

But just to make you look stupid I will answer:

1.Fucking you Makes me Bilingual

2.I got the Pill

3. Disco Shit(This is pure grade a Colombian cocaine this is disco shit)

4. Sex anytime anywhere right now oh yeah

5.Orgasm

Do you really want me to continue?

Add mine to what Dan wrote makes eight, need I say more?

Guest myles hie

Hahahahahahahahaha, are you fucking serious...dude do not kid yourself and accept what it is, and I suppose you are also going to tell me that there is no drug use in the EDM scene as well.

Dude go crawl back under the rock you climb out of, cause you obviously have no clue as to what your saying let alone talking about.

2.I got the Pill

5.Orgasm

How about actual song titles instead of movie samples and vocal snippets you retard.

Guest myles hie

I didn't know if you being sarcastic or not. ;D

That being said, there are songs out there in probably any genre outside of classical music and opera that promote drug use and sex.

Good for them if they do.

Rock and RnB were founded on those princaples. Indeed all music genres across the board has its innuendo's. But alluding to sex and drugs is much different than building the majority of a genre or scene on violence, misogny, and disrespect.

Guest pod

Oh totally, the differences are there. Whereas dance music, if it has any vocals at all, rarely alludes to sex or drug use, the unfortunate majority of hip-hop out there today tends to glorify drug use and violence and bad sex, drowning out the hip-hop that sends a positive message.

Guest LdySphynx

2.I got the Pill

5.Orgasm

How about actual song titles instead of movie samples and vocal snippets you retard.

Hahahahahahahaha, the truth hurts don't it!!!

Dude, I proved my point...now prove yours!!!!

Ooooooooooooh he called me a retard, oh wow that hurt. boohoohoo.. ::)

Looks like somebody is still stuck in Elementary School.

And ummmm if you know your shit you'd notice there are song titles there.

Guest slamminshaun

Dam there are a lot of ignorant people on this bitch..

Shaun stick to your politics and finance talk' date=' because you really dont know what your talking about here.

[/quote']

You know nothing about me or how I grew up. Hip-hop was in my blood from 1982 until 2000. From parachutte pants, to ghetto blasters, grafitti, and cardboard dancefloors, that was me. Doug E. Fresh, Afrika Bambaatta, Biz Markie, Fat Boys, they stood for rap in its true form. Remember the Zulu Kings? Electric Boogaloo? Remember when DJ's were apart of EVERY rap group and video? What happened???? Rap dissed DJ's and became the very thing it was supposedly the antithesis for.

Sure, you can pull out KRS-One and Nas all day long, but they are NOT representative of hip-hop culture today. 10 years ago, sure....but not anymore. LiL' Jon and all that dirty south, bling-bling crap is what owns the scene and it makes me want to puke. As far as I'm concerned, hip-hop is as dead as freestyle. If you don't think so, you're just sticking your head in the sand. So if you'll excuse me, I have finance and politics to return to.....you know, white boy stuff.

But wait, just caught this quote...

As far as Dj's are concerned, anybody who has Dj'ed the both genre's will tell you that its way easier to be a EDM Dj than a Hip Hop Dj'.

From someone who made a pretty damn good living doing both genres over a 15 year period, I can tell you that anybody who DJ's hip-hop is guaranteed work these days. EDM, not the case. Miami does not represent the country as a whole. Even DJ Exotic E (I assume you know who that is) went to EDM because it actually challenged him from a technical standpoint.

Guest LeVeL

You know nothing about me or how I grew up. Hip-hop was in my blood from 1982 until 2000. From parachutte pants' date=' to ghetto blasters, grafitti, and cardboard dancefloors, that was me. Doug E. Fresh, Afrika Bambaatta, Biz Markie, Fat Boys, they stood for rap in its true form. Remember the Zulu Kings? Electric Boogaloo? Remember when DJ's were apart of EVERY rap group and video? What happened???? Rap dissed DJ's and became the very thing it was supposedly the antithesis for.

Sure, you can pull out KRS-One and Nas all day long, but they are NOT representative of hip-hop culture today. 10 years ago, sure....but not anymore. LiL' Jon and all that dirty south, bling-bling crap is what owns the scene and it makes me want to puke. As far as I'm concerned, hip-hop is as dead as freestyle. If you don't think so, you're just sticking your head in the sand. So if you'll excuse me, I have finance and politics to return to.....you know, white boy stuff.

[/quote']

So like I said before...Hip Hop has to move on and Progress it's not going to stay a certain way, new artists will emerge with different styles and the people are the ones who will choose what they like.

Unfortunately you dont like the Hip Hop now in days, so its a matter of preference and taste. I treasure my old school hip hop too but I cant hate what the guys are doing now in days in the genre.