Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Second Life

Guest JMT

Guest lulamishka

i just became aware of the existence of this recently. from what i've gathered, it's basically an online virtual reality society.

does anyone know anyone who actually uses this? it strikes me as being rather pathetic.

http://secondlife.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Life

A coworker of mine knows all about Second Life and uses it. Not sure how much though. He's our resident Internet Guru.

It may sound pathetic, but you should see the big name companies that are getting involved with Second Life. I think even the Department of Defense, if memory serves me correct. LoL... I can ask my coworker when he gets back from lunch.

Guest JMT

i was actually informed of it by someone who is looking into using it as a marketing tool for her company.

taken from Wiki...

Parody

Second Life is parodied by the website "Get a First Life" by Darren Barefoot, extolling the virtues of meatspace/real life.[51] Instead of sending the site creator a cease and desist letter, Linden Lab sent him a humorous "Permit-and-Proceed" letter.[52] Material from the site includes false links to such topics as "Go Outside [-] Membership is Free" and "Fornicate Using Your Actual Genitals."

ha ha ha

Guest lulamishka

i was actually informed of it by someone who is looking into using it as a marketing tool for her company.

taken from Wiki...

Parody

Second Life is parodied by the website "Get a First Life" by Darren Barefoot, extolling the virtues of meatspace/real life.[51] Instead of sending the site creator a cease and desist letter, Linden Lab sent him a humorous "Permit-and-Proceed" letter.[52] Material from the site includes false links to such topics as "Go Outside [-] Membership is Free" and "Fornicate Using Your Actual Genitals."

ha ha ha

LOL yea I saw that when I clicked on Ryan's link to getafirstlife... made me LOL...

But yea, my coworker would recommend using it as a marketing tool. He's actually using it for one of our clients.

Guest coach

It seems to be pretty popular. Already a multi-million dollar economy has sprung up around it. Real dollars, not virtual. As was mentioned earlier, some big-name businesses are getting into it, both for advertising, and for sales.

Depending on how things go, this could be an interesting way to do online shopping. Can you imagine rather than clicking through boring page after page of product lists on a regular retail website, you walk virtually down an online retail aisle and choose your products just as if you were in the store, except your lazy ass is on the couch.