Clubplanet Nightlife Community

This guy crushes Pod!

Guest pod

It's not resolution, it's dynamic range.

Essentially what this guy is doing is setting his gear on a rock-solid tripod, and taking multiple exposures of a scene in a sequence. A few underexposed, by say 3 stops, 2 stops, 1 stop. Then 1 right on the money. Then a few over exposed by 1 stop, 2 stops, 3 stops respectively.

Basically, what he or she is doing, is capturing the entire scene's 'dynamic range', from the deep shadows to the bursting highlights. Normally, if you take an image, you're metering for say, a person, or a tree. The tree might look fine, but the sky behind it might be blown out, and you only see white. It's a limitation of film and digital cameras. They don't "see" as much as the human eye does.

Then, after you're done capturing all this, Photoshop has a handy function called "Merge HDR" which allows you to merge all those photos you just took, so the shadows, mids, and highlights all come out properly exposed in one image. Now, we're not used to seeing images like this, so it's rather surreal. In essence, it's an automation of the old burning and dodging tricks in the darkroom.

HDR for social pics would be very difficult.

Guest LeVeL

Pod has definetely gotten better over the years, I remember when I first got into Cooljunkie years ago Bashing him due to the blurry shots he was taking, I remember telling pod that I could take better pics with my digital camera then he could...lol

the above photo is nice, with a large amount of Photoshop work put into it, the guy most likely did a huge amount of Sharpening on the entire photo to get the detail to pop, and like POD said then used HDR.

One of the few landscape photos I like that I havr taken is this below. It is a good photo and pretty much straight from the camera with very little photos hop done to it.

I might be able to go and redo this shop soon and apply the same skills as sharpening and HDR if I get a time.

l_4c0554b43a93706525cbae3a85c98d6f.jpg

Guest pod

Nighttime shots generally don't require HDR since the dynamic range is smaller of the overall scene. There's no blazing highlights in large areas, like with a sky.

Not to demean the guy, but most of those photos in his portfolio are highly processed. The hardware to get that 'out of the camera' doesn't exist at a consumer level at the moment.

Guest coach

Bah. None of those even look realistic. Hyper-realism you might call them. The composition is decent in most of them, but the subject matter really lends itself to photography. Would they make good wall-art? Sure. But, other than a lot of time-consuming post-ed, I don't see them as anything spectacular.

Guest pod

They're very saleable images for like home decorations, offices, etc. Art for art's sake if you will. While like Eric and I said, it isn't like a bitch to do, it's not something at least I have time to execute right now.

I'm actually getting hooked on motion graphics at the moment.

Guest trancepriest

After Effects and Maya. Here at the HQ though.

Cool... I've been living in After Effects CS3. Mostly to add muzzle flashes and blood spurts in kill scenes. The After Effects Classroom in a Book & After Effects Studio Techniques books really help a lot. Check out this guy too: http://videocopilot.net/

Bling would let too many scumbags on here.

NAH ILL just create a deep house junkie chat section... remove all the other areas except miami junkie .. couse ill keep food, junkie chat and food. the rest has to go

then my new screename will be LORD Bling ;D

Guest trancepriest

IrenaS on Flickr:

341262725_ad5cf38353.jpg

319480653_d070467fdb.jpg

445958269_35b3154401.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37043062@N00/

Anyone on here Flickr? In general photography to me is all about money... money for cameras, lenses, studio & traveling. And of course people can go on and on about the art of pressing a button.. but once you can figure out how to use a manual lens.. setting aperture and shutter speed.. then its pretty much over with from there.