Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Floridians may see 'momentous changes' in car insurance in 6 weeks

Guest cire

Wow, now you can get hit and the idiot doing the hitting can be a real big piece of shit. This seems incredibly dumb for drivers not to have insurance. Coming from someone who has been in NUMEROUS wrecks, this is bad lol

The article raises some questions about the issue if you have to have insurance at all.

My other question is, what level of coverage should I get?

Right now I have:

100/300k bodily injury

100k property

100/300 uninsured motorist

I guess if they drop rates, I will upgrade up a notch.

Guest RzO

The article raises some questions about the issue if you have to have insurance at all.

My other question is, what level of coverage should I get?

Right now I have:

100/300k bodily injury

100k property

100/300 uninsured motorist

I guess if they drop rates, I will upgrade up a notch.

unless your tangible assets, excluding your house are over 300k you should stay where you are. Those coverages are pretty much the average for the upper-middle group. Any more than 100/300 is really for people that have a million or more in tangibles.

The BI one is the important one, and if you are never at fault for an accident, you will never have to use it. Go out and blast someone who gets seriously injured and your ins co pays them 100k, thats when you start getting raped for premiums. UM is needed for the same thing since if you are seriously injured by someone with little or no coverage, that is what an attorney will get from your company to offset bills and anguish.

I just looked at my policy and for 6 mos it was $169.00 for pip. So in my case I will be saving $338 a year. Now take a family for example, like my gf's, her dad pays for 5 drivers, 2 being under 25, they will save a ton of money cause of this. Even just a husband/wife can save like $800 a year!

Guest trancepriest

I'll have to pay $14 to change my front bicycle tire soon... and bus fares are increasing... transportation charges I tell ya.

Guest JMT

I'll have to pay $14 to change my front bicycle tire soon... and bus fares are increasing... transportation charges I tell ya.

all joking aside TP, how did your peeps back home fare with dean? everything irie?

Guest trancepriest

all joking aside TP, how did your peeps back home fare with dean? everything irie?

a few people killed, 48 hour black out, emergency law, telephone network to some parishes down, a lil looting here & there... nothing too serious.

Guest RzO

read here

This is why PIP must go!

Nick, you wouldn't believe how many cases like this we get. Here in sofla is the worst venue in the usa for this shit, and by eliminating pip, these scumbags will have to find a new racket.

On Oct 2nd, make sure to call your insurer, and ask whether they will credit your pip for the remaining months on your policy till renewal. Alot of co's will try to not say anything and do nothing if you don't ask. My policy runs from june-dec, so i will have 2 months(oct and nov) that they owe a credit, basically they will have to pro rate the pip rate that was paid for the policy period.

I cant seem to access your link but...

From what Ive heard around the insurance world is that If we get rid of PIP then we probably will be getting rid of the PD requirement as well, therefore there will be even more idiots on the road without insurance and when you get hit and your own insurance has to pay for the damages AND you have to come up with your deductible AND your rates go up because of the claim....THEN tell me how great that $100 you saved was. Im so tired of insuring irresponsible people. Why do I get punished for abiding by the laws. ::)

(sorry, but Ive been hit by MANY uninsured drivers in the state and the thought of not requiring insurance just PISSES ME OFF!!!)

in NJ, if you get caught without insurance, automatic 1 year suspension, which my brother got.

You would have to pay your deductible no matter what, so I don't see your point. Also, people who don't have insurance now won't have it after the law disappears, and I don't see more people dropping their insurance. Plus they can fix that part of the law without requiring PIP. My health insurance and car insurance will cover me no matter what, so if someone hits me without insurance, all that changes to me is I have an additional 100 bucks toward my deductible since I saved 100 bucks on PIP.

Guest RzO

From what Ive heard around the insurance world is that If we get rid of PIP then we probably will be getting rid of the PD requirement as well, therefore there will be even more idiots on the road without insurance and when you get hit and your own insurance has to pay for the damages AND you have to come up with your deductible AND your rates go up because of the claim....THEN tell me how great that $100 you saved was. Im so tired of insuring irresponsible people. Why do I get punished for abiding by the laws. ::)

(sorry, but Ive been hit by MANY uninsured drivers in the state and the thought of not requiring insurance just PISSES ME OFF!!!)

as of a meeting we had today in my office, not the case. In a few weeks there will be a session where they can overturn the elimination of pip(the article here speaks of it, its actually quite in line, sucks u can't access it) Basically they are not going to overthrow the pip cancellation which has the pd within the statute, but institute another statute only requiring pd.

Here's the deal, the state statute now does have pip and pd together as being what one must have legally in Florida. In order to eliminate pip, they have to throw out the statute, as you stated therefore killing the pd requirements. But they are working towards creating a statute that makes just the 10k pd mandatory, which is like many other states in the country.

In the mean time we really won't know too much till October, even if the new statute(just pd) does not happen by the time the pip runs out (10/1), they definitely are working towards it and when the state meets early next year it will be on the agenda and will pass. The issue as of now is that there may be a window where there is no mandatory coverage but it wont last long.

as of a meeting we had today in my office, not the case. In a few weeks there will be a session where they can overturn the elimination of pip(the article here speaks of it, its actually quite in line, sucks u can't access it) Basically they are not going to overthrow the pip cancellation which has the pd within the statute, but institute another statute only requiring pd.

Here's the deal, the state statute now does have pip and pd together as being what one must have legally in Florida. In order to eliminate pip, they have to throw out the statute, as you stated therefore killing the pd requirements. But they are working towards creating a statute that makes just the 10k pd mandatory, which is like many other states in the country.

In the mean time we really won't know too much till October, even if the new statute(just pd) does not happen by the time the pip runs out (10/1), they definitely are working towards it and when the state meets early next year it will be on the agenda and will pass. The issue as of now is that there may be a window where there is no mandatory coverage but it wont last long.

Gotcha thanks for the clarification. I cant imagine what this state would be like if you didnt have to show proof of insurance AT ALL in order to get or renew your tag.

Saleen, if you get get hit by someone who has insurance and they are at fault you do not have to pay your deductinble, it is all claimed under their insurance company and your rates dont go up on your next renewal, theirs does.

Guest pod

Not for nothing but the insurance proof check is cursory at best. At one of my old jobs, this kid forged a State Farm card and got his plates renewed one year no sweat.

It's a bureaucratic thing, they want you in and out.

Guest RzO

I don't think that's correct, cops don't determine who was at fault at the scene. So we each pay our our deductibles. Maybe Rzo can sort it out.

cops do not determine it, you are right about that, the adjusters do, If the police report is adverse to you though, pretty much you are at fault unless they take it to court and go through some crazy shit, which people will do, but it rarely works.

what Carissa is saying and she is 100% correct is this.

If you are in an accident and it is not your fault, ie: some wench ran a red light and blasted you, or whatever the case is. You file the claim through their insurance co, they pay for everything and you don't even put a claim on your record.

Many people think if they are in an accident they need to call their own insurance co. You don't and furthermore, if it is obvious the other is at fault, like the red light, or if you are rear ended, another 100% at fault incidence, file through their company! don't call yours unless their co sucks or there is a problem with them not accepting full liability. As insurers we have to pay for all that is our fault, so lets say i rear end you, well if you go through your ins you will have to pay your deduct and then like 6 mos later u will get it back once they subrogate us for the amount of the repair. My co would rather just take the whole claim from the beginning and pay for all of your expenses, therefore its closed and we aren't wasting money through the subro process.

lesson here, if you are not at fault for ran accident, go directly through the at fault carrier first, if they are giving you problems then call your own. Even if you put a claim in on your ins and its not your fault, it still goes on your record and can have influence on your future rates, if you go through the dumb ass who hit you, your co never knows, hence no claims on your record. Obviously if you are at fault for an accident your carrier is on the hook for your damages and for the other car that you hit and you can be sure your rates are going up for at least 3 years.

The industry in Florida needed a massive overhaul, the elimination of pip is a good start, they have some more work cut out for them though.

I don't think that's correct, cops don't determine who was at fault at the scene. So we each pay our our deductibles. Maybe Rzo can sort it out.

cops do not determine it, you are right about that, the adjusters do, If the police report is adverse to you though, pretty much you are at fault unless they take it to court and go through some crazy shit, which people will do, but it rarely works.

what Carissa is saying and she is 100% correct is this.

If you are in an accident and it is not your fault, ie: some wench ran a red light and blasted you, or whatever the case is. You file the claim through their insurance co, they pay for everything and you don't even put a claim on your record.

Many people think if they are in an accident they need to call their own insurance co. You don't and furthermore, if it is obvious the other is at fault, like the red light, or if you are rear ended, another 100% at fault incidence, file through their company! don't call yours unless their co sucks or there is a problem with them not accepting full liability. As insurers we have to pay for all that is our fault, so lets say i rear end you, well if you go through your ins you will have to pay your deduct and then like 6 mos later u will get it back once they subrogate us for the amount of the repair. My co would rather just take the whole claim from the beginning and pay for all of your expenses, therefore its closed and we aren't wasting money through the subro process.

lesson here, if you are not at fault for ran accident, go directly through the at fault carrier first, if they are giving you problems then call your own. Even if you put a claim in on your ins and its not your fault, it still goes on your record and can have influence on your future rates, if you go through the dumb ass who hit you, your co never knows, hence no claims on your record. Obviously if you are at fault for an accident your carrier is on the hook for your damages and for the other car that you hit and you can be sure your rates are going up for at least 3 years.

The industry in Florida needed a massive overhaul, the elimination of pip is a good start, they have some more work cut out for them though.

Thx, Rzo. And on an added note, this is why you ALWAYS call the cops to an accident (if you are for sure not at fault) this way the other guy gets a ticket and is on the hook for the damages. Even if he doesnt have insurance you can at least try to sue the shit out of him.

Guest cire

I can't believe how little you guys know about how your insurance works.

I've totalled 3 cars and been in about 12-15 other wrecks that are documented by insurance (not to mention multiple speeding tickets, stop signs and about every other moving violation and then some). I may not know how it works, but I sure as hell know that it works ;):P

Guest JMT
I've totalled 3 cars and been in about 12-15 other wrecks that are documented by insurance (not to mention multiple speeding tickets, stop signs and about every other moving violation and then some). I may not know how it works, but I sure as hell know that it works ;):P

might be time to consider getting a bicycle.

Guest cire

Nope, I just stopped reporting the wrecks, all hit and runs now LOL. I am actually on a good stretch, the longest in my 10 years of driving I have gone without a 'major' accident.