Clubplanet Nightlife Community

danny t message

Guest dre4

Guest MrKotter

So he is upset that they recorded his set and he did not get a dime, yet when he uses another DJs track he only pays with "R E S P E C T."

Where does one cash a "R E S P E C T" check? ???

The issue isn't DT getting paid... it's the artists whose tracks could potentially get bootlegged and therefore lose momentum for a proper release so THEY can get paid.

I agree I have never heard of this happening, but the fact is that it CAN happen and THAT is what makes it wrong.

"what is being passed around is a "bootleg" compilation where no artist receives a penny from it!"

It does sound like his point is about money. Does DT pay the artist for use of their songs in his sets?

What upsets me is when a musician gets upset at their fans and not at the label who is really screwing them and their fans. >:(

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Seb

at the end of the day, DJs can't really get to bitchy about their sets being "theirs" ... other than in a live PA scenario you're just playing someone else's tracks anyway

Badabing! Do DJs pay license fees?

All being said...

does anyone have this high-quality, full-length set recording in question? LOL ;D

I saw it on another forum but the download limit had already been used up

Guest Seb

I don't really think it's a money issue with DT, I think he just wants his sets to be exclusively heard live and not recorded. I can see his point, We all know that a recorded live set is no where near the experience of actually being there. Recorded live sets can sometimes cheapen the live performance IMO.

Guest Willie Morales

i'm sorry, i don't see the drama. live sets floating around only get people more interested in a DJ. bootlegs rarely have great sound quality, and if ithey do, rarely a tracklisting. if they have both then c'est la vie, but honestly, i've downloaded all kinds of live sets and only a handful are great quality...

the age of buying mix CDs has passed - no one really invests in GU mixes or any of that shit anymore. people invest in seeing DJs live, and buying the records they make and spin. i'll pay for a mix if it's really creative - like coldcut's 70 min of madness - but as a DJ, paying for a proper mix CD is silly... if i like the tracks i'll but them myself individually... don't need to listen to someone else paste them together...

at the end of the day, DJs can't really get to bitchy about their sets being "theirs" ... other than in a live PA scenario you're just playing someone else's tracks anyway

thier sets are thiers... creative effort went into putting them together.... some djs prepare thier sets as all should... in a good set the tracks flow well with each other instead of being the beatport top 10 slapped together.... i all it took was pasting them together then we would all be th same and people would not prefer some djs over others... I know I put a lot of effort into what i play be it trying songs with each other before playing them out to insure they flow together and don't sound forced or even just going out of my way to add some elemnet that will make that set just that more original... as far as mixed cds there are some that i love and some that i hate very similar to dj sets... the problem is that the age of the album is gone people just download the one track they like and the rest of the album gets ignored... it is a shame because there are some great albums out there... I would not mind the recorded sets as much if they woul stay as a recorded set but they almost always get chopped up.... I am a dj and there are plenty of mixed cds in car from other djs that I like and I enjoy those cds as much as the ones I put together....

from resident advisor:

TO ALL OF MY SINCERE FRIENDS THAT READ THIS IMPORTANT MESSAGE BELOW:

PLEASE INFORM EVERY DJ AND AGENCY THAT NEEDS TO KNOW OF THIS CRIME!

AND NOW: TO ALL @ CLUB CLOROPHILLA:

TO DJ SKIZZO, AND EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH BOOKING ME.

IT HAS NOW BEEN 100% CONFIRMED AS I HAVE HEARD "MY" ENTIRE SET WITH MY OWN 2 EARS. AND IT IS ALL IN HIGH QUALITY, SO PLEASE - DO NOT EVEN TRY TO FUCKING TELL ME LIES OR MAKE ANY EXCUSES!

I CAME THERE AND GAVE YOU 100% OF MYSELF. I SHOWED EVERYONE RESPECT AND ENTERTAINED YOU ALL FROM MY HEART AND YOU TOOK ADVANTAGE OF ME AND YOU ILLEGALLY RECORDED MY SET!

THIS WAS A "CRIMINAL ACT" AGAINST ME AND I FEEL LIKE YOU PLACED A BIG KNIFE IN MY BACK. YOU SHOWED ME HOSPITALITY WHEN I WAS THERE AND I SHOWED YOU MY SINCERE GRATITUDE AND DEEP APPRECIATION. NOW THAT YOU HAVE ILLEGALLY RECORDED ME, YOU FUCKED WITH ME!

AND NOW I'M GOING TO SHOW YOU HOW "I" WILL FUCK WITH YOU IN RETURN!

I ACCEPT BEING SHIT ON BY NO ONE !!!

I MAY NOT SPEAK THE LANGUAGE, BUT I ASSURE YOU THAT MY ITALIAN BLOOD IS AS PASSIONATE AS YOURS, AND YOU WILL IMMEDIATELY SEE HOW I RESPOND WITH MY BROOKLYN ITALIAN NATURE AND WITH A VERY, VERY POWERFUL VOICE AGAINST ALL OF YOU -> AND YOUR VENUE!

YOU SHIT ON ME, NOW WATCH ME SHIT ON YOU !!!!!!!!!

I AM HIGHLY RESPECTED IN THIS BUSINESS, AND I AM FRIENDS WITH JUST

ABOUT EVERY DJ & PRODUCER, MAGAZINE, INTERNET WEBSITES, PROMOTERS, CLUB OWNERS AND EVEN SOUND COMPANIES - INCLUDING PIONEER AND RANE! WATCH HOW I WILL CONTACT EVERY ONE OF THEM AND TELL THEM OF YOUR CRIMINAL ACT AGAINST ME, STARTING WITH DJ ALEX UNDER WHO I ADMIRE, AND I WILL CONTACT HIM TOMORROW TO TELL HIM HE SHOULD NOT PERFORM FOR YOU, AND THEN I WILL CONTACT EVERYONE ELSE THAT I SEE ON YOUR SCHEDULE BOOKED TO PERFORM FOR YOU!! AND IF I KNOW THEM OR NOT, I ASSURE YOU THEY WILL KNOW MY NAME! AND I AM GOING TO CONTINUALLY CONTACT EVERY DJ YOU HAVE BOOKED THERE TO ADVISE THEM TO NOT EVER WORK FOR YOU OR ANYONE THAT CLUB CLOROPHILLA IS ASSOCIATED WITH! I AM A VERY RESPECTED DJ AND WATCH HOW WHAT YOU JUST DID TO ME - ON AUGUST 8TH, WILL BACKFIRE ON YOU!

THERE IS NOW WAY THAT YOU CAN REVERSE THIS UNFORGIVABLE DAMAGE!

I WILL ALSO BE TAKING ACTIONS WITH MY ITALIAN REPRESENTATIVES TO SUE YOU AS WE HAD A "NO RECORDING" AGREEMENT/CONTARCT BOTH ON PAPER AND VERBALLY: FROM SKIZZO TO MY ASSISTANT ADRIANO.

SO FOR NOW, UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, I SAY:

A BIG FUCK YOU TO EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH DOING THIS TO ME -

AND I SPIT ON ALL OF YOU PIECES OF DOG SHIT AT CLOROPHILLA -

THAT HAD KNOWLEDGE OF THIS ILLEGAL RECORDING!

YOU ARE A DISGRACE! AND TODAY YOU MAKE ME ASHAMED TO SAY THAT I

REPRESENT ALL OF THE WONDERFUL ITALIANS HERE IN AMERICA, AND ITALY!

BUT, I AM STILL PROUD TO BE AN ITALIAN AND REPRESENT

THE MANY GOOD ONES THAT ARE HERE AND EVERYWHERE!

GOD ABOVE SEES ALL AND KNOWS ALL, AND NOW EVERYONE

SHALL SEE AND KNOW WHAT YOU @ CLOROPHILLA DID TO ME!

CIAO FOR NOW,

DJ DANNY TENAGLIA - from BROOKLYN, NEW YORK !!

- A very humble, loving, sincere, passionate person, but today ... I am a very, very ANGRY MAN!

Guest MrKotter

I don't really think it's a money issue with DT, I think he just wants his sets to be exclusively heard live and not recorded. I can see his point, We all know that a recorded live set is no where near the experience of actually being there. Recorded live sets can sometimes cheapen the live performance IMO.

"IT HAS NOW BEEN 100% CONFIRMED AS I HAVE HEARD "MY" ENTIRE SET WITH MY OWN 2 EARS. AND IT IS ALL IN HIGH QUALITY, SO PLEASE - DO NOT EVEN TRY TO FUCKING TELL ME LIES OR MAKE ANY EXCUSES!"

He states that a "recorded" set is "HIGH QUALITY." There goes your argument. ::)

Guest addictedtospace

tmi, man. tmi. i don't care what you do after your shows.

Is all this defecating with or without Saran Wrap? ???

Guest musicalmissionary

I tend to lean toward the DMB view. Just let people record, create goodwill, and count the money at the end.

Much easier to do for a guy who is already a mega-millionaire than an aspiring bedroom producer.

Not talking about bedroom producers, though. DT is a rich man. DMB is also a rich man (band). Compare apples to apples. DMB allows recording and still does pretty well, thereby disputing the credence of DT's rant.

Pardon my language but you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Let me help you out. This is how it works...

1) Small no-name producer is Kazakhstan gives DT a track he made and DT loves it.

2) DT decides to promote this producer by playing his tracks out and creating hype for it.

3) Record label decides this track will sell based on DT's endorsement and signs it.

4) That no-name producer is Kazakhstan now has a name and will get paid!!

If that track gets released without following those steps, that kid gets no money and way less recognition. DT is trying to honor this process by not letting the tracks he plays (that fall into this category) get released improperly.

When DMB allows recordings it is HIS music. DT is trying to protect OTHER PEOPLE'S music. It can be argued that those OTHER PEOPLE cannot afford to just give their music out for free because they aren't as loaded as DMB. Get it now coach? We're not comparing DT to DMB... the comparison here is DMB to the producer in Kazakhstan that entrusted his unreleased track to DT.

Come by tonight and I'll buy you a beer for yelling at you :-*

Guest DJ Christian

I tend to lean toward the DMB view. Just let people record, create goodwill, and count the money at the end.

Much easier to do for a guy who is already a mega-millionaire than an aspiring bedroom producer.

Not talking about bedroom producers, though. DT is a rich man. DMB is also a rich man (band). Compare apples to apples. DMB allows recording and still does pretty well, thereby disputing the credence of DT's rant.

Pardon my language but you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. Let me help you out. This is how it works...

1) Small no-name producer is Kazakhstan gives DT a track he made and DT loves it.

2) DT decides to promote this producer by playing his tracks out and creating hype for it.

3) Record label decides this track will sell based on DT's endorsement and signs it.

If that track gets released without following those steps, that kid gets no money and way less recognition. DT is trying to honor this process by not letting the tracks he plays (that fall into this category) get released improperly.

When DMB allows recordings it is HIS music. DT is trying to protect OTHER PEOPLE'S music. It can be argued that those OTHER PEOPLE cannot afford to just give their music out for free because they aren't as loaded as DMB. Get it now coach? We're not comparing DT to DMB... the comparison here is DMB to the producer in Kazakhstan that entrusted his unreleased track to DT.

That's a good clarification, but how often can individual, unsigned tracks be extracted from a bootleg mix at a quality level necessarily to spread around? I don't know, that's why I'm asking...

I'd def buy Khazak house... you like Corkey Buchek? He has song "Bing Bang" ... Bing bang bing bang bang.....

Guest MrKotter

When was the last time that DT released a CD? 2000? (I may be wrong) So what is someone who may be a fan or want to be a fan do? Travel 5000+ miles to Italy or 1300 miles to NYC to see him at a club for a "live performance"?

Guest coach

I do know what I'm talking about and I wanted someone to post a clearer summation of the issue, so I was purposefully obtuse. Woulda been nice if DT could have explained it so clearly. No, I didn't read his rant. I read Lyriks summary of it.

I see what you are getting at. So, you think that people passing around a bootleg fo a live set into which the DJ Kazakstan track has been mixed will have a serious negative effect on the sales of his future CD?

Guest HouseJunkie

"IT HAS NOW BEEN 100% CONFIRMED AS I HAVE HEARD "MY" ENTIRE SET WITH MY OWN 2 EARS. AND IT IS ALL IN HIGH QUALITY, SO PLEASE - DO NOT EVEN TRY TO FUCKING TELL ME LIES OR MAKE ANY EXCUSES!"

He states that a "recorded" set is "HIGH QUALITY." There goes your argument. ::)

By "High quality" he probably means that his set was digitally recorded.

Sorry DT, you lost me on this one.

Guest JustDade

A couple of observations:

1. Again Bling feels it's necessary to post that he isn't reading the thread. C'mon, Bling.....

2. Djs do not pay royalties but they should. Every club or other business that plays music, (gyms, restaurants ect.), pays royalties each and every year because they make money from the playing of copyrighted music. The only way any DJ in America is exempt from this law is if they only play their original productions. It is a little hypocritical to complain if you don't pay.

3. That said, Danny is right. Many times I have recorded DJ sets of those who I have booked to play for me. EVERY DJ CONTRACT HAS A NO-RECORDING CLAUSE. But....I have alsways asked and never violated the trust when I was told no. In fact, Oakenfold used to tell us to record it and sell copies through the club t-shirt counter. A contract is a contract and should be honored.

4. It's easy to say that nobody was hurt...especially if the recorded set was done for personal use. The problem with that is that as soon as you've given it to someone, you've lost control.

5. I recently saw DT at the V-Fest. His guys were very clear with the crews backstage that he was not to be recorded. They even checked under the console. However, set recording can be done anywhere. The recorder can be in the amp rack in another room.

6. Finally......why record it? Why take the chance of all this drama?

Guest Fernando A

Ok you guys have to understand that this is a subject that Danny feels very strongly about and always has. If you wonder why you never see DT sets floating around the internet, this is exactly why.

He stresses the fact that he is an artist that cares more about just playing music, that his sets are an experience and more than just a bunch of tracks put together. He wants his music to be experienced live and only live; if you've ever seen him live, you'd know that he puts tremendous effort into entertaining the crowd in every way possible. I'd dare to say he's pretty good at it. Danny, who has been DJing for decades, also has a few obscure tracks that are more or less "his". Some of these obscure tracks aren't even in circulation, and you can only hear them through him. If somebody records his sets, they can also record these tracks; then they're no longer exclusive to him.

I'm sure you all can imagine how you'd feel if somebody did something to you that you stressed and stressed again that you were completely against...you'd probably be pretty pissed.

I've met Danny a bunch of times. He's incredibly down to earth and feels strongly about staying in touch with his fans, and he's also a very passionate person. I think, as a DJ who has been around for this long and remains among the best to this day, he's earned the right to feel strongly about certain things and voice his opinion if he wants to. Some of you might think it's whiney and obnoxious, but let's keep in mind...this isn't just some amateur preaching to the choir. Let the man BE HIMSELF!

Guest coach

2. Djs do not pay royalties but they should. Every club or other business that plays music, (gyms, restaurants ect.), pays royalties each and every year because they make money from the playing of copyrighted music. The only way any DJ in America is exempt from this law is if they only play their original productions. It is a little hypocritical to complain if you don't pay.

Okay, I wondered about this. The clubs (supposedly) pay a royalty fee. Does that cover the music the DJ plays, or not?

Guest Seb

I do know what I'm talking about and I wanted someone to post a clearer summation of the issue, so I was purposefully obtuse. Woulda been nice if DT could have explained it so clearly. No, I didn't read his rant. I read Lyriks summary of it.

I see what you are getting at. So, you think that people passing around a bootleg fo a live set into which the DJ Kazakstan track has been mixed will have a serious negative effect on the sales of his future CD?

I honestly don't think it does. I mean these records don't make a whole lot of money as it is. I really don't think that today's producers are relying on record sales and licensing as their bread and butter (maybe more commercial guys) Shaving pennies off of pennies really, the records are made to market yourself and get gigs, which is where the money is.

Guest icebaer69

from resident advisor:

TO ALL OF MY SINCERE FRIENDS THAT READ THIS IMPORTANT MESSAGE BELOW:

PLEASE INFORM EVERY DJ AND AGENCY THAT NEEDS TO KNOW OF THIS CRIME!

AND NOW: TO ALL @ CLUB CLOROPHILLA:

TO DJ SKIZZO, AND EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH BOOKING ME.

IT HAS NOW BEEN 100% CONFIRMED AS I HAVE HEARD "MY" ENTIRE SET WITH MY OWN 2 EARS. AND IT IS ALL IN HIGH QUALITY, SO PLEASE - DO NOT EVEN TRY TO FUCKING TELL ME LIES OR MAKE ANY EXCUSES!

I CAME THERE AND GAVE YOU 100% OF MYSELF. I SHOWED EVERYONE RESPECT AND ENTERTAINED YOU ALL FROM MY HEART AND YOU TOOK ADVANTAGE OF ME AND YOU ILLEGALLY RECORDED MY SET!

THIS WAS A "CRIMINAL ACT" AGAINST ME AND I FEEL LIKE YOU PLACED A BIG KNIFE IN MY BACK. YOU SHOWED ME HOSPITALITY WHEN I WAS THERE AND I SHOWED YOU MY SINCERE GRATITUDE AND DEEP APPRECIATION. NOW THAT YOU HAVE ILLEGALLY RECORDED ME, YOU FUCKED WITH ME!

AND NOW I'M GOING TO SHOW YOU HOW "I" WILL FUCK WITH YOU IN RETURN!

I ACCEPT BEING SHIT ON BY NO ONE !!!

I MAY NOT SPEAK THE LANGUAGE, BUT I ASSURE YOU THAT MY ITALIAN BLOOD IS AS PASSIONATE AS YOURS, AND YOU WILL IMMEDIATELY SEE HOW I RESPOND WITH MY BROOKLYN ITALIAN NATURE AND WITH A VERY, VERY POWERFUL VOICE AGAINST ALL OF YOU -> AND YOUR VENUE!

I AM HIGHLY RESPECTED IN THIS BUSINESS, AND I AM FRIENDS WITH JUST

ABOUT EVERY DJ & PRODUCER, MAGAZINE, INTERNET WEBSITES, PROMOTERS, CLUB OWNERS AND EVEN SOUND COMPANIES - INCLUDING PIONEER AND RANE! WATCH HOW I WILL CONTACT EVERY ONE OF THEM AND TELL THEM OF YOUR CRIMINAL ACT AGAINST ME, STARTING WITH DJ ALEX UNDER WHO I ADMIRE, AND I WILL CONTACT HIM TOMORROW TO TELL HIM HE SHOULD NOT PERFORM FOR YOU, AND THEN I WILL CONTACT EVERYONE ELSE THAT I SEE ON YOUR SCHEDULE BOOKED TO PERFORM FOR YOU!! AND IF I KNOW THEM OR NOT, I ASSURE YOU THEY WILL KNOW MY NAME! AND I AM GOING TO CONTINUALLY CONTACT EVERY DJ YOU HAVE BOOKED THERE TO ADVISE THEM TO NOT EVER WORK FOR YOU OR ANYONE THAT CLUB CLOROPHILLA IS ASSOCIATED WITH! I AM A VERY RESPECTED DJ AND WATCH HOW WHAT YOU JUST DID TO ME - ON AUGUST 8TH, WILL BACKFIRE ON YOU!

THERE IS NOW WAY THAT YOU CAN REVERSE THIS UNFORGIVABLE DAMAGE!

I WILL ALSO BE TAKING ACTIONS WITH MY ITALIAN REPRESENTATIVES TO SUE YOU AS WE HAD A "NO RECORDING" AGREEMENT/CONTARCT BOTH ON PAPER AND VERBALLY: FROM SKIZZO TO MY ASSISTANT ADRIANO.

SO FOR NOW, UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, I SAY:

A BIG FUCK YOU TO EVERYONE INVOLVED WITH DOING THIS TO ME -

AND I SPIT ON ALL OF YOU PIECES OF DOG SHIT AT CLOROPHILLA -

THAT HAD KNOWLEDGE OF THIS ILLEGAL RECORDING!

YOU ARE A DISGRACE! AND TODAY YOU MAKE ME ASHAMED TO SAY THAT I

REPRESENT ALL OF THE WONDERFUL ITALIANS HERE IN AMERICA, AND ITALY!

BUT, I AM STILL PROUD TO BE AN ITALIAN AND REPRESENT

THE MANY GOOD ONES THAT ARE HERE AND EVERYWHERE!

GOD ABOVE SEES ALL AND KNOWS ALL, AND NOW EVERYONE

SHALL SEE AND KNOW WHAT YOU @ CLOROPHILLA DID TO ME!

CIAO FOR NOW,

DJ DANNY TENAGLIA - from BROOKLYN, NEW YORK !!

- A very humble, loving, sincere, passionate person, but today ... I am a very, very ANGRY MAN!

i hope this is a fake (there is nothing mentioned on his website) or he was loaded and/or on substances

when writing this ...

... otherwise he maybe has lost his mind

and won´t be able to do his (considered) 2008 space-ibiza residency :P

Guest MrKotter

Ok you guys have to understand that this is a subject that Danny feels very strongly about and always has. If you wonder why you never see DT sets floating around the internet, this is exactly why.

He stresses the fact that he is an artist that cares more about just playing music, that his sets are an experience and more than just a bunch of tracks put together. He wants his music to be experienced live and only live; if you've ever seen him live, you'd know that he puts tremendous effort into entertaining the crowd in every way possible. I'd dare to say he's pretty good at it. Danny, who has been DJing for decades, also has a few tracks that are more or less his and his alone. Danny has a very strong following, including some artists and producers that will make music exclusively for him. He doesn't share them with anybody, and you can only hear them through him. I'm sure some of you will say that's just selfish, but it's his right as an artist to keep them for himself in order to heighten the DT experience. If somebody records his sets, they can also record these tracks; then they're no longer exclusive to him.

I'm sure you all can imagine how you'd feel if somebody did something to you that you stressed and stressed again that you were completely against...you'd probably be pretty pissed.

I've met Danny a bunch of times. He's incredibly down to earth and feels strongly about staying in touch with his fans, and he's also a very passionate person. I think, as a DJ who has been around for this long and remains among the best to this day, he's earned the right to feel strongly about certain things and voice his opinion if he wants to. Some of you might think it's whiney and obnoxious, but let's keep in mind...this isn't just some amateur preaching to the choir. Let the man BE HIMSELF!

Did you pay Oscar or Louis for that Avatar picture of OG pulling on the horn??? Quick where's the Space Lawyer?

Guest tbooty

Okay, I wondered about this. The clubs (supposedly) pay a royalty fee. Does that cover the music the DJ plays, or not?

Its called ASCAP and BMI. They are a shady bunch that no one really understands. Kind of a cross between the IRS and the Music Mafia. If you own a nightclub eventually they are going to pay you a visit and if you dont come to an agreement to pay something they will eventually put their lawyers on you.

If you own a radio station or a restaurant and you want to broadcast or play music, what you need are public performance rights-- the right to play music that the general public will hear in one way or another. Obviously, if you own a radio station playing 300 or 400 songs every day, you would go insane if you had to obtain public performance writes from every label and publisher. Therefore, public performance rights licensing is now handled by two very large companies named ASCAP (American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers) and BMI (Broadcast Music Incorporated) that simplify the process. Each one handles a catalog of about 4,000,000 songs.

Here are just a few examples of the establishments required by law to pay fees to both ASCAP and BMI.

* Airport

* Amusement/Theme Parks

* Athletic Clubs/Dance Classes

* Bowling Centers

* Colleges and Universities

* Competitions/Shows

* Eating and Drinking Establishments

* Festivals/Special Events

* Hotel / Motel

* Local Governmental Entities

* Local Television

* Meetings, Conventions, Trade Shows, and Expositions

* Musical Attractions - Promoters/Presenters

* Radio Station Interim

* Retail Establishments

* RV Parks and Campgrounds - Multiple Use

* Shopping Center

* Skating Rink

* Symphony Orchestra

* Web Site

A business will typically purchase from ASCAP and BMI what are called blanket licenses to broadcast and play music. A blanket license lets you play anything you throughout the year. ASCAP and BMI decide how to divide up the money among all the rights owners.