Clubplanet Nightlife Community

danny t message

Guest dre4

Guest MrKotter
2. Djs do not pay royalties but they should. Every club or other business that plays music, (gyms, restaurants ect.), pays royalties each and every year because they make money from the playing of copyrighted music. The only way any DJ in America is exempt from this law is if they only play their original productions. It is a little hypocritical to complain if you don't pay.

Okay, I wondered about this. The clubs (supposedly) pay a royalty fee. Does that cover the music the DJ plays, or not?

Its called ASCAP and BMI. They are a shady bunch that no one really understands. Kind of a cross between the IRS and the Music Mafia. If you own a nightclub eventually they are going to pay you a visit and if you dont come to an agreement to pay something they will eventually put their lawyers on you.

If you own a radio station or a restaurant and you want to broadcast or play music, what you need are public performance rights-- the right to play music that the general public will hear in one way or another. Obviously, if you own a radio station playing 300 or 400 songs every day, you would go insane if you had to obtain public performance writes from every label and publisher. Therefore, public performance rights licensing is now handled by two very large companies named ASCAP (American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers) and BMI (Broadcast Music Incorporated) that simplify the process. Each one handles a catalog of about 4,000,000 songs.

Here are just a few examples of the establishments required by law to pay fees to both ASCAP and BMI.

* Airport

* Amusement/Theme Parks

* Athletic Clubs/Dance Classes

* Bowling Centers

* Colleges and Universities

* Competitions/Shows

* Eating and Drinking Establishments

* Festivals/Special Events

* Hotel / Motel

* Local Governmental Entities

* Local Television

* Meetings, Conventions, Trade Shows, and Expositions

* Musical Attractions - Promoters/Presenters

* Radio Station Interim

* Retail Establishments

* RV Parks and Campgrounds - Multiple Use

* Shopping Center

* Skating Rink

* Symphony Orchestra

* Web Site

A business will typically purchase from ASCAP and BMI what are called blanket licenses to broadcast and play music. A blanket license lets you play anything you throughout the year. ASCAP and BMI decide how to divide up the money among all the rights owners.

I'm sure the composers, authors and publishers get a generous 2 or 3% of that money. :-\

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mayor

Most clubs (bigger ones) are targeted by ASCAP and BMI and are required to pay a licensing fee per month

some people pay, some people dont

we do, but when I worked at liquid they ducked em for years

Guest Philip

the d/l stats on these files is amazing. the original uploads were deleted but by then there were alot more mirrors. all this mess is making people d/l even more

Guest Seb

the d/l stats on these files is amazing. the original uploads were deleted but by then there were alot more mirrors. all this mess is making people d/l even more

ironic isn't it

Guest Mattivi

i see the guys point. but to go on some bipolar diatribe over one set is insane. its over with so move the fuck on, and hire some extra help to make sure it doensnt happen again if it ruffles your feathers so much :-\ danny t is a prima donna bitch sometimes, and quite simply has reduxed into a whiney, cranky, old gay bastard. :P

Guest musicalmissionary

I see what you are getting at. So, you think that people passing around a bootleg fo a live set into which the DJ Kazakstan track has been mixed will have a serious negative effect on the sales of his future CD?

Probably not. But if his set contained dozens of such tracks, or multiple such tracks from the same no-name producer trying to make it... ... ...

I asked Justin Martin if we could release the set we recorded (with his permission) the first time he played at Laundry Bar and he kindly asked us not to as there are several tracks on there that were licensed to his new Buzzin Fly comp (out in Oct) and they deserve to be released appropriately as planned.

It just comes down to respect people... something this internet thingy has made way to easy to marginalize...

Guest Buck White

I've been busy as f*ck lately. I have had the proper time to really dig the boards...but this is the first thread I've read today....all of it is hilarious. Even Mr. Kotter chimed in on this one. But, how great is this mix in question ? And even, besides that, how many times have you heard a set at Club Wherever....and it saddens you a little to know you might never hear these these tracks again...for the rest of your life. And that's what happened...some rabid househead said to themself, " I'm recording this motherf*cker's set. I don't give a flying f*ck whether he digs it or not".

I've felt like that sometimes.

Guest Seb

I see what you are getting at. So, you think that people passing around a bootleg fo a live set into which the DJ Kazakstan track has been mixed will have a serious negative effect on the sales of his future CD?

Probably not. But if his set contained dozens of such tracks, or multiple such tracks from the same no-name producer trying to make it... ... ...

I asked Justin Martin if we could release the set we recorded (with his permission) the first time he played at Laundry Bar and he kindly asked us not to as there are several tracks on there that were licensed to his new Buzzin Fly comp (out in Oct) and they deserve to be released appropriately as planned.

It just comes down to respect people... something this internet thingy has made way to easy to marginalize...

it's the principal of the thing. It's principalities involved!

Guest pod

Did you pay Oscar or Louis for that Avatar picture of OG pulling on the horn??? Quick where's the Space Lawyer?

Actually, as the creator of that avatar, I should demand royalties for each use of it. But I let a trusted friend create them for free use in the community.

OG could get a model fee or something. ;D

Guest DJ Christian

Most clubs (bigger ones) are targeted by ASCAP and BMI and are required to pay a licensing fee per month

some people pay, some people dont

we do, but when I worked at liquid they ducked em for years

ASCAP and BMI are run like the mob - total goons. They sock massive fines against venues that don't pay their fees

Guest MrKotter

Did you pay Oscar or Louis for that Avatar picture of OG pulling on the horn??? Quick where's the Space Lawyer?

Actually, as the creator of that avatar, I should demand royalties for each use of it. But I let a trusted friend create them for free use in the community.

OG could get a model fee or something. ;D

Dan, give us a four post, incoherent rant. Now!

Guest pod

In general, yes. In club parlance it's the "DJ license".

I know Gryphon/Pangaea are serviced by ASCAP/BMI, Mansion is SESAC (there's a sticker out front), and Space is ASCAP/BMI if I'm not mistaken.

A lot of the smaller venues duck the fees, or only pay up when caught.

As of late though, they've been cracking down on places like stores, restaurants, and even a gas station where the clerk has a radio running.

Guest swank

I know who ASCAP and BMI are. But do the fees that the venue pays cover the DJs usage or not?

No...they charge fees for any audio/video controlled by the venue ie. programmable PA such as background music. When it comes to the DJ, they(the DJ's) have to make sure that they have original editions of any released music which has already paid dues to owners of said track.

CDR's do not fall under this category although I have seen the authorities smack down some heavy fines in Europe on big name DJ's for having copied versions of released tracks on CDR.

Bottom line if nobody can hear you....nobody will remember you. With all the technology that is out there today...you need to learn how to morph with the times./

Guest lyrik

HOUSE MUSIC IS SERIOUS BUSINESS GOD DAMNIT!!!!!!

I believe we are all wasting too much energy worrying about all the disease, war, famine and crimes against humanity going on around the world. We need to re-focus people. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF HOUSE THIS IS SERIOUS :'(

So hey what happens when all these mozart's of EDM sample an obscure vocal from some disco album of years past...or chop a hip-hop vocal or 80's rock vocal onto the hottest new "electro" track man...are all these guys paying royalties to the original artists or are they just taking creative liberty to steal someone else's music and make it their own?

I wonder how may tracks we can dig up new and old with recycled disco loops that have been used and reused from tons of the top jocks out there...oh no I must be wrong everyone does their own keys, drums, vocals...never uses a pre-recorded "beat"...and those "DJ mixes" that come out...I suppose every DJ "actually" mixes those right and doesn't say...mmmm...have somebody put the mix together for them in some software program.

The view must be grand from that horse a lot of these DJs sit up on.

Guest JustDade

In general, yes. In club parlance it's the "DJ license".

I know Gryphon/Pangaea are serviced by ASCAP/BMI, Mansion is SESAC (there's a sticker out front), and Space is ASCAP/BMI if I'm not mistaken.

A lot of the smaller venues duck the fees, or only pay up when caught.

As of late though, they've been cracking down on places like stores, restaurants, and even a gas station where the clerk has a radio running.

Actually, SESAC is yet another firm you must pay in addition to ASCAP and BMI. They handle mostly Latin Music. You need all three to be legal. The law says that ANYONE who makes money from the use of music that they did not write must pay! So.....I guess the Danny was also in violation of the law.......maybe not in Italy, but you get my point.

There is no argument about the tracks and lost wages due to these sets, his argument is violating the contract which he has to show that he was injured because of this. He may get his attorney fees and his booking fee back, but there is nothing and I mean nothing in any of this that harmed someone else or himself.

You want to know why I can say this?

Just head over to itunes, it has 459723459723458 free podcasts. Those podcasts are loaded with tracks.

DT has no argument, plus he's got deep pockets, these people can sue him for what he said..

DT is washed up, more and more you can tell by his dumb rants.

Guest JustDade

Guys,

Danny reads this forum. Please have a little respect and keep it off of here.

DT should know that by making this a huge deal, it's going to make it worse. Danny, if you're reading this......let it go. I know there's a principal involved but it aint going nowhere.