Clubplanet Nightlife Community

November 24th 2007 : ERIC MORILLO @ KARU' AND Y

Guest katiatheonlyone

Guest nightclub buddha

I think the "For The First Time In Miami Since May" (or whatever it says) is pretty damn funny.....wasn't May just 4 months ago??? That's slightly better than saying something like "For his ONLY appearance in downtown Miami in November"

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JustDade
Im sorry i've never said anything like this before on Cooljunkie but if you think that Erick Morillo @ K&Y will tank then you are an idiot.

Plus im sorry to say but Guetta has never impressed me for one second.If anyone of you was at Space to see Guetta during last years WMC @the Subliminal sessions party and you still think Guetta is that good then you are on more drugs than Anna Nicole and Chong.

The guy played "smack my bitch up" during last years WMC.Horrible mixing coupled with the worst track selection that i have ever herd being as famous as he is.Guetta's set last year was by far one the worst sets i have ever seen at WMC.

It's his wife's excellent marketing and a couple tracks that he produced that made him famous not his djing.

He's still riding his success from WMC 2 years ago for his Fuck Me im Famous party.Everyone i spoke to about this years FMIF party said it had lots of hot chicks but the music sucked.

Morillo always delivers!

Why go to a party that the music isnt as good??IMO.

Morillo in Miami???

NO QUESTION.

I think you got me wrong. I'm sure it'll be busy. And...I wasn't comparing Morillo to Guetta. I think that Guetta @ Cameo is relevant only because it offers a choice to the DJ crowd that isn't here as often as Morillo. It's just that clubs do everyone a dis-service by booking acts that are too expensive for the capacity of the venue. The fact that it's a really expensive show and a small-ish venue means everyone has to pay more.

Guest swank
I think you got me wrong. I'm sure it'll be busy. And...I wasn't comparing Morillo to Guetta. I think that Guetta @ Cameo is relevant only because it offers a choice to the DJ crowd that isn't here as often as Morillo. It's just that clubs do everyone a dis-service by booking acts that are too expensive for the capacity of the venue. The fact that it's a really expensive show and a small-ish venue means everyone has to pay more.

2008 Audi A4 2.0 TFSI 200HP 6 Speed Starting at $28,900

http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/new_cars/Audi_A4/A4/Model_Features.html

2008 Audi S4 4.2 Quattro 340HP 6 Speed Starting at $48,610

http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/new_cars/Audi_A4/S4.html

Both new cars....both Audi's.... both 4 door sedans. Clearly two different cars. I guess those who can't afford the S4 should consider the A4 but shouldn't diss Audi for charging $20K more for 140HP and considerably significant technology for the same vehicle...an A4.

This analogy can be exercised with many other examples.....it's called 'apples and oranges'

Guest JustDade
This analogy can be exercised with many other examples.....it's called 'apples and oranges'

Not exactly but nice try. If they were using the whole venue....maybe. That Tottem room is not exactly a great club. I've done events at K&Y so I know what I'm talking about. The room rattles like nothing I've ever heard because of those column things. The bars are temporary so the service is slow. The VIP couches are like something from a cheap futon store. The lighting is crap. However, the sound is huge.

The best parts of that venue are no longer useful for club events because of the noise problem. The tottem garden is spectacular but will sit silent.

Swank, do you really believe that your example is valid? You really think that Morillo in that warehouse room is the S4 compared to Morillo at Mansion as the A4? If you rerally believe that you've officially crossed the crazy line.

While I normally would agree that you get what you pay for. That's not the case here. Mansion pre-sold Morillo for $40. Space usually pre-sells Morillo for $30. Mansion is a much better venue than Tottem. Space has after-hours. What makes Tottem the better venue in your opinion?

Guest FRESHMAN

I've noticed that every party that Katia does is the party that everyone has been waiting for? How many of those parties can you have?????:confused:

Guest swank
Not exactly but nice try. If they were using the whole venue....maybe. That Tottem room is not exactly a great club. I've done events at K&Y so I know what I'm talking about. The room rattles like nothing I've ever heard because of those column things. The bars are temporary so the service is slow. The VIP couches are like something from a cheap futon store. The lighting is crap. However, the sound is huge.

The best parts of that venue are no longer useful for club events because of the noise problem. The tottem garden is spectacular but will sit silent.

Swank, do you really believe that your example is valid? You really think that Morillo in that warehouse room is the S4 compared to Morillo at Mansion as the A4? If you rerally believe that you've officially crossed the crazy line.

While I normally would agree that you get what you pay for. That's not the case here. Mansion pre-sold Morillo for $40. Space usually pre-sells Morillo for $30. Mansion is a much better venue than Tottem. Space has after-hours. What makes Tottem the better venue in your opinion?

Dade,

I will remind you that I am not the Karu&Y public defender but...it's quite obvious that you have a HUGE axe to grind with Karu&Y and you seem to be trying here on this board. I might be crazy but I'm not stoopid.

Although the room you speak of is not my perfect room....I haven't seen patrons standing around with question marks on their heads wondering if that's the bass they hear or a vibration....wanna know why? Cuz they're having a blast. When I take something into consideration I have the smarts to evaluate the complete package and not just certain parts. You won't see me picking apart a club for their sofa's, I mean c'mon WTF was that. Temporary bars don't make service slow...the people working them do.

I wouldn't think that Karu&Y cares what Mansion or Space does...if they wanted to be Mansion or Space they would have opened venues called Mansion or Space. You might want to go back in your post history to last year October when you were being invited to Karu for the openings and praising the place...or even further to when you were with NOC and talking about LP, further?....not with NOC anymore and talking about them. Who's next on your list after Karu&Y...? Me because you don't like what I have to say?

Wanna be remembered and respected for your years of service and accomplishments in the industry? Try to provide constructive and helpful information instead of throwing sand every chance you get...write a book, at least you might make some change.

Remember you're only as good as your last success...what's yours?

Guest JustDade
Dade,

I will remind you that I am not the Karu&Y public defender but...it's quite obvious that you have a HUGE axe to grind with Karu&Y and you seem to be trying here on this board. I might be crazy but I'm not stoopid.

Although the room you speak of is not my perfect room....I haven't seen patrons standing around with question marks on their heads wondering if that's the bass they hear or a vibration....wanna know why? Cuz they're having a blast. When I take something into consideration I have the smarts to evaluate the complete package and not just certain parts. You won't see me picking apart a club for their sofa's, I mean c'mon WTF was that. Temporary bars don't make service slow...the people working them do.

I wouldn't think that Karu&Y cares what Mansion or Space does...if they wanted to be Mansion or Space they would have opened venues called Mansion or Space. You might want to go back in your post history to last year October when you were being invited to Karu for the openings and praising the place...or even further to when you were with NOC and talking about LP, further?....not with NOC anymore and talking about them. Who's next on your list after Karu&Y...? Me because you don't like what I have to say?

Wanna be remembered and respected for your years of service and accomplishments in the industry? Try to provide constructive and helpful information instead of throwing sand every chance you get...write a book, at least you might make some change.

Remember you're only as good as your last success...what's yours?

Why is it that someone who has a different opinion than you must have an axe to grind? I have no axe to grind with them or anyone else. I was simply responding to your post. You made a comparison between Tottem and other clubs that, in my opinion, was untrue. I just pointed that out. I notice that you don't dispute anything I said. Instead, you chose to attack me and claim, falsely, that I only said what I did because of some personal reason.

I stand by my previous posts. I thought then and still think that K&Y is beautiful as a whole. I think they have made some serious mistakes also. Why would my feelings about this event be in contradiction to those statements? I just think it's the wrong place for this event and I think their pricing hurts the DJ scene.

It's funny that you start this post by saying that you're not the K&Y PD. But that's what you're doing. Was I lying when I said there was a huge rattle in that room? Are the sofas not really crappy? Are the temp bars fantastic? Is the service fast? The answers are all NO. But, in true PD fashion you deflected the criticisms and made it seem as though I was being unfair. Do you really believe that Tottem is the S4 in your previous comparison? I am still waiting for the answer.....

Believe it or not I am unconcerned with how I am remembered for my years in the club biz. I have no illusions about being universally praised nor do I believe that anything I did will change the world. It's the club business, for God's sake, not cancer research. At the end of the day, there are many more things I have done that I am prouder of. If you think that I will look back on my nightclub years as the most important legacy I will leave or care how I am memorialized within it, you really are STOOPID.

I've never attacked you nor do I even have a reason. You just seem unable to hear anything that's not a fluffy blowjob without feeling like it was personal. Did you really spend time looking up and reading my previous posts? Good work, Mr. Public Defender.

Guest eroc0411
You gave some street person sixty bucks?

i gave him $90 for 3 tickets... Great deal if u ask me considering they were charging $60 when i got there, and $80 a few minutes later. And if im not mistaken they hit a $100. For after hours.

He wasn't a bum... Just a club dude like u and me. I guess he needed some drug money... haha

Guest pod

He's a bum if he's scalping tickets for a stinking nightclub event. That's ripping off the club, and my company too. Hence, he's a bum.

Guest swank
Why is it that someone who has a different opinion than you must have an axe to grind? I have no axe to grind with them or anyone else. I was simply responding to your post. You made a comparison between Tottem and other clubs that, in my opinion, was untrue. I just pointed that out. I notice that you don't dispute anything I said. Instead, you chose to attack me and claim, falsely, that I only said what I did because of some personal reason.

I stand by my previous posts. I thought then and still think that K&Y is beautiful as a whole. I think they have made some serious mistakes also. Why would my feelings about this event be in contradiction to those statements? I just think it's the wrong place for this event and I think their pricing hurts the DJ scene.

It's funny that you start this post by saying that you're not the K&Y PD. But that's what you're doing. Was I lying when I said there was a huge rattle in that room? Are the sofas not really crappy? Are the temp bars fantastic? Is the service fast? The answers are all NO. But, in true PD fashion you deflected the criticisms and made it seem as though I was being unfair. Do you really believe that Tottem is the S4 in your previous comparison? I am still waiting for the answer.....

Believe it or not I am unconcerned with how I am remembered for my years in the club biz. I have no illusions about being universally praised nor do I believe that anything I did will change the world. It's the club business, for God's sake, not cancer research. At the end of the day, there are many more things I have done that I am prouder of. If you think that I will look back on my nightclub years as the most important legacy I will leave or care how I am memorialized within it, you really are STOOPID.

I've never attacked you nor do I even have a reason. You just seem unable to hear anything that's not a fluffy blowjob without feeling like it was personal. Did you really spend time looking up and reading my previous posts? Good work, Mr. Public Defender.

ooopsy! :eek:

I must have touched a nerve since I noticed that your tone has changed. I am a lover not a fighter...I don't attack anyone. Now that you're not happy with my observations it becomes an 'attack' I don't research your posts....I have a damn good memory and have been behind the scenes for a lot longer than you might realize.

Your condescending nature is apparent...since you believe that the business that you invested many hours in is not Cancer research. Does that mean that you think that everyone in the biz are a bunch of losers just passing their time? I never spoke of 'legacy' or 'memorialization'. What and how you do things in your life are what are remembered not the nature of the business. Whether you are a pastry chef,used car salesman or CEO of a corporation...your true colors will always shine through as they are right now. No personal attack....just observations.

Apparently you have more time than I do since I have used up my "argue with Dade" quota for the day. I won't challenge you to a bitch slap contest like some chick in the schoolyard.

If you give some....you should be prepared to take some.

Guest tekniQz

All that being said.

Karu & Y will be a "madhouse"!!!

You all forget Morillo is in Miami!!David Guetta is a frenchman!!

People love Morillo in Miami.If you dont like him who cares he packs out every party he spins at.If you dont agree with that then like i said before you have a severe drug problem.

www.passagesmalibu.com

Enjoy, i hear this company has the highest succes rate.

Good luck to you on that one!

I'll take American dominance over that French clown anyday and i will take a amazing dj in a smaller more intimate setting rather than Cameo.

Besides why does anyone care if either of these clubs makes money?

You have way to much time on your hands if this is a major issue to you.

MAJOR this is your cue.

Guest JustDade
ooopsy! :eek:

I must have touched a nerve since I noticed that your tone has changed. I am a lover not a fighter...I don't attack anyone. Now that you're not happy with my observations it becomes an 'attack' I don't research your posts....I have a damn good memory and have been behind the scenes for a lot longer than you might realize.

Your condescending nature is apparent...since you believe that the business that you invested many hours in is not Cancer research. Does that mean that you think that everyone in the biz are a bunch of losers just passing their time? I never spoke of 'legacy' or 'memorialization'. What and how you do things in your life are what are remembered not the nature of the business. Whether you are a pastry chef,used car salesman or CEO of a corporation...your true colors will always shine through as they are right now. No personal attack....just observations.

Apparently you have more time than I do since I have used up my "argue with Dade" quota for the day. I won't challenge you to a bitch slap contest like some chick in the schoolyard.

If you give some....you should be prepared to take some.

Mr. Public Defender has his panties in a bunch....too bad. My tone hasn't changed at all. Yours has. You've gone from conversational to confrontational. Yet you have not responded to a single question or criticism other than to make personal attacks or deflect and change the subject. You've made comparisons with no foundation. Basically, you sound like the current administration who never addresses an issue other than to point out someone else's lack of patriotism.

I'll ask again....do you really believe your Audi comparison was honest or fair? I doubt you'll answer this time since you've ducked it twice already. Why so afraid of the truth? You said it wasn't your "perfect" venue but you won't acknowledge any of the faults. S4 vs A4.... horseshit and you know it.

Your characterization of my remarks is just silly. I was simply responding to your comment and advice about being remembered. Your suggestion that I "Try to provide constructive and helpful information instead of throwing sand every chance you get" notwithstanding, I would rather stick to what I have been doing, which is being honest. I'll leave worrying about how others will remember me to others. By the way, are you implying that you believe that what you do should be equated to curing cancer? My wife has cancer so I have a little more perspective than you do, I think. I've made 26 trips to the National Cancer Institute in DC over the last two years and I can say with absolute certainty that the work those doctors do is far more important than anything I or you have ever done. So don't try to be clever and put words in my mouth.

Is this your life's ambition? Most people I know in the club biz will tell you that they are just doing this for now but they have larger ambitions. What was so offensive about what I said? Me thinks thou dost protest too much. Next you're going to imply that I don't support the troops.

To answer your question about my last success..... If we're talking about the club business I've had more than you and Karu & Y combined. However, lately I take pride in the on-line business I own with my wife that in 5 short years is doing several million dollars a year and showing double-digit growth every year. I bask in the glory of having sponsored the upbringing and education of several underprivileged children around the world. I am extremely proud of the fact that I have raised money for the building of two homes for displaced families this year. I am, perhaps, most proud of the fact that I have been fortunate enough to take the money, lessons and friends made in the club business and use them for the greater good rather than just personal gain or a party. I know you threw a party and people came but to me that's a job not a success.

I realize that part of the product you sell these days is K&Y but that doesn't mean that you have to lie about all their shortcomings. No venue is perfect. Mine certainly wasn't. You chose to enter a discussion that had nothing to do with your party or you and defend K&Y. Why? Is your party so tenuous that you're afraid a little bad press will kill it?

Guest JustDade

Karu & Y will be a "madhouse"!!!

Besides why does anyone care if either of these clubs makes money?

You have way to much time on your hands if this is a major issue to you.

I don't think it was ever in dispute that they will fill the room. It is Morillo, after all. And....you're right that clubbers don't care and shouldn't care if the club makes money. I just happen to believe that clubs should make money and that the perception that all a club has to do when their original concept fails is to bring in DJs hurts the DJ driven scene.

Guest tres-b
I don't think it was ever in dispute that they will fill the room. It is Morillo, after all. And....you're right that clubbers don't care and shouldn't care if the club makes money. I just happen to believe that clubs should make money and that the perception that all a club has to do when their original concept fails is to bring in DJs hurts the DJ driven scene.

It may not be the responsiblity of clubbers to worry whether a particular venue is making money, but it is important to understand that venues need to turn a profit.

While this may seem beyond elementary, the grim reality is that no one wants to pay to get in, everyone wants to drink for free, and these same people wonder why clubs tank.

This has been stated before on cj but it is worth repeating...A packed club does not equal a profitable club. Its as simple as that. Morillo will fill the room but assuming Saleen(aka Barbarino) got his capcity numbers right, Dade is dead on. Morillo at K&Y will not turn a profit.

Finally I agree 100pct Dade---the premise of "Try it our way and if it fails bring in ___________"(fill in the blank with some "superstar" dj) does damage the dj driven clubs for a variety of reasons.

Guest Eidur_Johannsson

They list capacity on wantickets @ 1500. Also can someone explain to me why this venues supposed money loss on this event hurts the DJ driven club scene? Next time Morillo is in town will people not go because he played @ Kuru and Y and they lost money?

Guest mr.miami

Also thats a holiday weekend so I think it is likely people will spend money on going to this. Some people like to celebrate and spend more money than usual around the holidays.

Guest JustDade
It may not be the responsiblity of clubbers to worry whether a particular venue is making money, but it is important to understand that venues need to turn a profit.

While this may seem beyond elementary, the grim reality is that no one wants to pay to get in, everyone wants to drink for free, and these same people wonder why clubs tank.

This has been stated before on cj but it is worth repeating...A packed club does not equal a profitable club. Its as simple as that. Morillo will fill the room but assuming Saleen(aka Barbarino) got his capcity numbers right, Dade is dead on. Morillo at K&Y will not turn a profit.

Finally I agree 100pct Dade---the premise of "Try it our way and if it fails bring in ___________"(fill in the blank with some "superstar" dj) does damage the dj driven clubs for a variety of reasons.

That's exactly what I was saying. I'm really not sure why it got Swank's panties all bunched but it makes sense. If Erick was playing at a venue that was twice the size, the pre-sales could be $30 making it more attractive to a larger audience. With EDM losing market share it seems counter productive to make it less accessable. We can't grow this scene if we don't find a way to make newbies feel welcome. Guys like Morillo can be ambassadors for the sound because their names will actually have some star power. But...when the events become over-priced, it just turns more people off. People in this thread have quoted high prices from Space or Mansion but those were door prices. Those venues always offer a discounted pre-sale ticket. And, at least at Space you get afterhours included in the deal.

Guest tekniQz

Either way Morillo is going to be at Karu &Y and i'll be there cus i'll pay to see a dj i like.

I mean can't people just appreciate a party for what it is??

Guest tekniQz
Either way Morillo is going to be at Karu &Y and i'll be there cus i'll pay to see a dj i like.

I mean can't people just appreciate a party for what it is??

Besides the people talking about this party don't give a shit about the music.

All they care about is money and that's good for them.

Well done, you've now proved before an event has even happened that it's a failure, good job.

Oh and since you guys are always right about everything i guess we can just say goodby to EDM in Miami cus Morillo's spinning at Karu &Y.Didn't you guys know it's the end???

Guest Eidur_Johannsson
That's exactly what I was saying. I'm really not sure why it got Swank's panties all bunched but it makes sense. If Erick was playing at a venue that was twice the size, the pre-sales could be $30 making it more attractive to a larger audience. With EDM losing market share it seems counter productive to make it less accessable. We can't grow this scene if we don't find a way to make newbies feel welcome. Guys like Morillo can be ambassadors for the sound because their names will actually have some star power. But...when the events become over-priced, it just turns more people off. People in this thread have quoted high prices from Space or Mansion but those were door prices. Those venues always offer a discounted pre-sale ticket. And, at least at Space you get afterhours included in the deal.

I can't get my head around that connection. They're an upscale establishment so they charge upscale prices. I don't think that there's a lot of people who are into Morillo who are put off by an extra 20.00 or so. When he plays in much larger establishments the price COULD be made lower but it never really is. He's a big money guy and to go see him is going to cost you. He plays here all the time, if you want to go see him for less wait a month. To lay growing the scene on this particular establishment seems a little off. Places with triple their capacity will hit you for $100.00 to get in if you show up late and wait in line for 5 hours.

Guest tres-b

Actually, you couldnt be more wrong. The music is the thing I care about the most. You are reading these posts and pulling out what you want to hear. The truth of the matter is that both Dade and I are talking about practical issues and concerns.

The event will most likely be a sucess for those who attend. However, for those that are paying the bills, the event will most likely lose money.

What we say here cant change the capacity of a venue or the booking fee of a dj. Each figure is what it is and if you cant put enough people in the venue to cover your booking fee...

Guest pod

Music events have a practical side too. You can be the most down-to-earth-about-the-music-man type of promoter or owner on the planet, but at the end of the day you want to at least break even.

Guest JustDade
I can't get my head around that connection. They're an upscale establishment so they charge upscale prices. I don't think that there's a lot of people who are into Morillo who are put off by an extra 20.00 or so. When he plays in much larger establishments the price COULD be made lower but it never really is. He's a big money guy and to go see him is going to cost you. He plays here all the time, if you want to go see him for less wait a month. To lay growing the scene on this particular establishment seems a little off. Places with triple their capacity will hit you for $100.00 to get in if you show up late and wait in line for 5 hours.

That's a valid point, to a certain degree, and I agree that to put the fate of EDM on one event is a little absurd. However, we're not talking about Mansion or Space here. When Mansion does a big DJ it's as a "value-added" incentive for their upscale clientele. K&Y has little or no clientele to call their own at all. When Space does it they always offer discounted pre-sales and afterhours, which increases the value. K&Y have decided to do these types of events because their VIP plan failed. So the Morillo fan who bucks up and pays $40 pre-sale, waits in line and sees him at either Mansion or Space is now priced out. He can not only no longer afford to see his favorite DJ, he can't expand the scene by bringing his friends. Not only that.....the people who do show up will not get a Space or Mansion quality experience. Both those venues are far superior to that particular room at K&Y for this type of event. They will not get afterhours. They will get to hear Erick Morillo but that's only part of the overall experience. If it wasn't you could buy a mix CD much cheaper.

Guest Eidur_Johannsson
That's a valid point, to a certain degree, and I agree that to put the fate of EDM on one event is a little absurd. However, we're not talking about Mansion or Space here. When Mansion does a big DJ it's as a "value-added" incentive for their upscale clientele. K&Y has little or no clientele to call their own at all. When Space does it they always offer discounted pre-sales and afterhours, which increases the value. K&Y have decided to do these types of events because their VIP plan failed. So the Morillo fan who bucks up and pays $40 pre-sale, waits in line and sees him at either Mansion or Space is now priced out. He can not only no longer afford to see his favorite DJ, he can't expand the scene by bringing his friends. Not only that.....the people who do show up will not get a Space or Mansion quality experience. Both those venues are far superior to that particular room at K&Y for this type of event. They will not get afterhours. They will get to hear Erick Morillo but that's only part of the overall experience. If it wasn't you could buy a mix CD much cheaper.

Fair enough. The problem is, the experience at Space, Karu & Y (probably), and Mansion for a DJ like Morillo pretty much entails being packed in like cattle. He's on a huge rate and EVERY club he plays at needs to make that up. That isn't going to change until the day after he can't fill anywhere he plays to capacity plus for whatever they see fit to charge to get in. That's when EDM (for the Tiestos and Morillos of the world) is in trouble. The venues aren't killing the scene now, what they need to do to pay these rates is.