Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Leaked letter: Space pressures Mayor Alverez

V. Barbarino

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bling, I've been fucking with LP for years, he's never gone after me.

:D

how much money do you think LP actually loses if these other venues actually do serve alcohol after 5 am?? not saying they will just wondering..

even if Space's door numbers are down i cant imagine they are hurting

Guest musicalmissionary

And the Oscar goes to...

Hey Barbie, why would LP object to you leaking a letter that is more likely to hurt attendance at the events in question than help. I know if I were thinking about going to any of those parties and expected to drink after 5 I wouldn't bother going after reading the letter. You sure it wasn't LP that "leaked" the letter to you in the first place?

:D

how much money do you think LP actually loses if these other venues actually do serve alcohol after 5 am?? not saying they will just wondering..

even if Space's door numbers are down i cant imagine they are hurting

It's not really about profits for specific events. It's a case of risk. LP risked a shit load of money to build Space there. For his risk he was rewarded a 24 hour license. If the Mayor and city allows other venues to break the law and stay open and serve past their legal closing times, then why did LP pay a premium to get his 24 hour license?

If you bought a franchise from Pizza Hut and the rights to all PHs in Dade county, then the company turned around and let another guy own competing PHs what would you do?

You like LP would protect the license that was paid for at a premium.

Guest musicalmissionary

LP has more than recuperated his costs associated with all that risk he took... several times over. All good things come to an end... even patents.

With that said, this letter makes perfect sense. The last round of letters sent to Karu were a joke. I mean, if you're going to whine about misleading advertising, do it to the guy with the power to lay a smackdown on the offender... not the alleged offender who's just going to laugh at it.

And the Oscar goes to...

Hey Barbie, why would LP object to you leaking a letter that is more likely to hurt attendance at the events in question than help. I know if I were thinking about going to any of those parties and expected to drink after 5 I wouldn't bother going after reading the letter. You sure it wasn't LP that "leaked" the letter to you in the first place?

The reason he doesn't want the letter out there is because it hurts his position. When the letters get out it shows his cards. Now the other venues know what he is up to and can change their tactics.

It also hurts him in terms of guest DJs. Does one think Mr. Morillo is happy he is publicaly part of all of this? What if the night tanks because of this, is EM's earning potential diminished here in Miami?

Also think about this, if you go after the Mayor publicly one would think the "inspectors" might show up unannounced. LP is the guy who got into a fight with the cops and was arrested then the cops in the New Times went after their boss etc... It's a big mess, so no, LP wants this under wraps, thus why the clubs leak them to me.

The clubs want it to appear they are being bullied by LP.

Guest pod

We should just loop everyone's comments from last week. VB posts a letter, Bling armchair quarterbacks it to get his post count up, and there's the usual round of comments from the peanut gallery.

I'll be at the bar.

Guest knebula
We should just loop everyone's comments from last week. VB posts a letter, Bling armchair quarterbacks it to get his post count up, and there's the usual round of comments from the peanut gallery.

I'll be at the bar.

hey get me a Black and Club soda--im right behind ya!!!

thats what i was thinking.. (armchair qbing here) ahem...

wouldnt a guest dj get poed that LP is trying to stop the party in some form.... esp people like morillo who plays space... doesnt this hurt LP in long run?

unless morillo doesnt spin at space anymore.... ???

Guest pod

unless morillo doesnt spin at space anymore.... ???

You get the gold star for today. If you're gonna armchair quarterback, you should definitely read the playbook.

Guest coach

I bet Karu is relying on a special permit during White Party Week, even though the Morillo event is not technically a part of that. I would say they are doing the same thing for NYE.

I have a feeling what we are really looking at is the first push to get the 24 hour district expanded, or maybe moved. Not like it is going to be easy to maintain in the 11th St condo district much longer, anyway.

Guest pod

I doubt they'll move the area or expand it.

As for permits? I'll look in Municode but I don't think getting a permit to stay open later will give them much more leeway.

Guest coach
I doubt they'll move the area or expand it.

4 years ago you doubted it when I said they would build condos right next to Space and cause conflict with the current nightclub zone. I think you underestimate the randomness of your government.

I doubt if they will expand it, also. However, if the condos give them enough grief, they may decide to relocate it. I think Karu is looking at that same scenario and trying to set up a situation where they can, at some point in the future, say "Look, we have done several after-after-hours events and had no problems." (Of course, they do have problems, but since nobody cares about the poor people, then they can still claim that.)

leaked my ass. yeah right...more like emailed directly to you, for you to post on cooljunkie, as soon as possible.

please admit that you're on his payroll.

good for him though!! he fought for the 24 hr zone...he deserves to protect it.

i just can see him laughing his ass off at the "fuck you" thing. you're probably sitting on his lap, reading this right now

Guest pod

What I'm getting at is that no matter where they put it, there's gonna be some self-righteous NIMBY prick causing an unjustified stink about it. My advice is to stay where you are and stand your ground. The clubs have an advantage on 11th Street since 'they were there first'. There's no law addressing the pioneers of the area, but they can work on that concept.

Four years ago, I never said there wouldn't be a fight. Most likely I said that the fight wouldn't be as easy as it was on the sandbar where the honkey community activists managed to run roughshod over the clubs (aka the Golden Geese) of South Beach. The Golden Goose of 11th Street is Space. Opinions aside and whether you go there or not, it's true. Damn honkeys screw everything up.

Karu & Y has a tougher case since they're outside of the designated entertainment zone, and close to a political hotspot in the form of the Habitat for Humanity homes. The residents might not have clout, but I would foresee a Miami Al Sharpton, or hell, Al himself going to bat for them.

Guest pod

What Ryan said is true. LP did push the 24-hour concept through. No one in City Hall came up with this concept really. The area before was a true warzone. Now 'hoods' don't bother me too much, but the way this area was prior to 2000 would scare even crackheads away.

Guest tres-b

If you are refering to Space/LP as crybabies, let me ask you this...

If you fought to have a business that had a legally established competive edge(ie-24 hour liquor license), wouldnt you want to maintain this edge?

It is not only a legit grip, but it is important to the future of 24hr clubs in miami that only clubs with the proper clearance remain open 24hrs. Why? B/C the 24hr liqor licenses are granted to clubs w/i a certain district. If other clubs attempt to operate outside these guidelines, the chance of backlash against ALL clubs will rise and that is bad for everyone.