Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Ok question

back2basics-

So we all have slightly different tasts (which is good) some of us are in to the hard house or trance scene, some progresive and breaks. Some techno etc.

But i think it's one thing going out, we all get our buzz from different things. But it's at home when your *real* musical tastes come out.

Now at first when you go out, you are SO in to it all you bring you nights home with you. You always get tapes/cd's that emulate your nights out. But what do people listen to at home, not your cherished Bad boy bill CD or what ever, over and above the lively party tapes what do you listen to?

Let me read your musical tastes smile.gif

------------------

I want to go out blazing..not fade away.

Trust in the currency of relationships, it's hard to earn but easy to loose - back2basics

b2b6.GIF

I like new age: enya, mike oldfield, stuff like that. It's still kinda techno I guess. I like blink 182 and A-teens. I also like a lil bit of Hawaiiana cuz I get all reminiscent of the island life.

hmmm.. i listen to everything except hillbilly music..

I havent listened to rap since the days of Public Enemy..

The last few artists to get played in my apartment were...

Eddie Money

Billy Idol

Erasure

Rick Springfield

The Coors

Janet Jackson

Big Country

Depeche Mode

A-Teens

Abba

Michael Jackson

and thats about all I can remember..

Originally posted by back2basics-:

Now at first when you go out, you are SO in to it all you bring you nights home with you. You always get tapes/cd's that emulate your nights out. But what do people listen to at home, not your cherished Bad boy bill CD or what ever, over and above the lively party tapes what do you listen to?

Its not just about wanting to re-create a magical night, you can hear magical music anywhere if your ears are open.

There's a blind street musician who plays in the walkway under the daley center (i think calls himself the "big bopper"(?) and has a record out on one of the local blues labels) who will occasionally play some amazing chord sequences that i want to hear over and over.

There's also the group of guys who play traditional (but amplified) music from the Andes in S. America all around chicago...generally at farmers markets or the like. They're also great to hear.

For me, I just hear a song and I'll want to hear it over and over. I remember as a kid (long before i started going out) sitting with my cheap radio cassettee combination waiting for the 10 at 10 or somesuch so that i could tape a song so i could hear it over and over. (i couldn't afford to buy albums when i was that young)

As for my tastes, I like both types of music, country & western...j/k

For some reason it seems that I like pretty much everything that's not popular/mainstream. I can't stand teen/boy/girl band stuff, cross-over country/pop (give me johnny cash), or modern hip-hop (give me old school). rap/rock (this genres been going downhill since Ice-T & Bodycount)

But the two types of things i listen to at home most is ethereal stuff (e.g. Tori Amos, Enya, Spylab)and stuff with long-drawn out jams (e.g. Grateful Dead, Neil Young)...newer groups i like include Doves and Sister machine gun.

------------------

"So heed my words and live; wait not til tomorrow's dawn!

But pick life's roses now--today--before they're gone".-Pierre de Ronsard

Disco-02.gif

Originally posted by tranceaction:

hmmm.. i listen to everything except hillbilly music..

Funny, that's all I can stand listening to in my car. I don't drive a lot, I don't have a cd player in my car (cheap), and I haven't made any tapes since 94 (lazy).

I'm still sad about Garth Brooks' retirement and I can't stand the Dixie Chiks.

Originally posted by fiatmusica:

There's also the group of guys who play traditional (but amplified) music from the Andes in S. America all around chicago...generally at farmers markets or the like. They're also great to hear.

If you like percussion and/or Taiko drummers, Kodo - Nasca Fantasy is an excellent cd which mixes a lot of electronic new age, percussion, and South American woodwinds. I've seen that group you're talking about and they were doing a number from that cd.

When I put the techno/trance/house etc asside I usually move on to a lot of hardcore.

Non-point

Linkin Park

Tool

Perfect Circle

Stabbing Westward

Once in awhile I'll peruse the CD collection and throw in something that I haven't heard for some time.. Sarah McLachlan, Dark City Soundtrack, Pump up the Volume Soundtrack, or Hackers Soundtrack. I love soundtracks becuase they tend to follow one mood because of the movie, but they offer a variety of artists.

------------------

"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."

At home, let's see. I still pretty much listen to the same stuff I listen to when I am out.

Techno, Hardhouse, Trance, Progressive

also

Blink 182

The Misfits

Disturbed

Naked Raygun

The Cramps

Old 97's

also agree with Bmitch, movie soundtracks kick ass.

in case you were wondering I really like 80's punk and all garage punk sounding bands.

------------------

b_md_wht.gif

der - I like country music - just not hillbilly music.. I define hillbilly music as any artist who produces a song at any time with the word "honkytonk" in the title or the lyrics.

country music sure has some of the hottest women in the industry though..

I love and I mean LOVE Dave Matthews, it reminds me of my college times. With that I also like Blink 182 (I want to marry the one without the tatoos),

Counting Crows, Sade, Barenaked Ladies in concert (they are SOooooo fun),

and I am a motown girl. I love the oldies like Isley Brothers, Issac Hayes, Al Green etc... My dad raised me on it.

------------------

0b32d3c0.gif Life is only complicated because you make it so. Remember what it was like to live carefree - and live that way again!

I agree with Tranceaction, on everything except for the hottest women in the industry thing. That honkytonk wang dang doodle crap sucks, but hey too each his own.

There are tons of fine women that don't sing country...

------------------

b_md_wht.gif

Dave Mathews?? Yuck... can't stand that folk music. Maybe it's because all the college students play it out.

Motown was the shit... everyone here was a Michael Jackson fan at one point, and if you deny it, you are lying.

Oh yeah, I also listen to some disco... My mom was a disco bunny....

------------------

b_md_wht.gif

Other then Fridays Trance/Jungle and Mondays Ambient my taste in music go with moods.

there's the jazz/bebop times with Monk and Parker. I have times where Frank, Dean and Sammy hit the spot. I have to agree with Bounce about the need for 80s punk Blackflag, Fear and The Dead Kennedys. Then theres the other 80s New Order, Depeche Mode and Modern English. Then theres the throw back to my club life beginnings where I need a little Front 242, Bigod 20 and NitzerEbb. That's a good indication of it all.

Peace, Chaos

------------------

Remember, Incase Of Fire You Need To Stop, Drop And…

ok, I'm with Choas on that one as well.

But..., my consistent fav over the years has been Poi Dog Pondering http://www.poidogpondering.com/poi.html and they reside in Chicago (they opened for Dave Matthews a couple of years back and sold out Ravinia). If you miss these guys you will be missing one the most energetic and best acts I've ever seen. And they're in your back yard.

------------------

...and in a mystery to be

(when time from time shall set us free)

forgetting me, remember me

-e. e. cummings

AOL IM: petrol01

i forgot one and i cant beleave i did. Bob Marley, it was the only disk in my car when i got in this morning. Bad evil Chaos. i should be spanked!=D

------------------

Remember, Incase Of Fire You Need To Stop, Drop And…

No woman, no cry... no woman, no cry!

Could this be love? Yah... be love...

ahhhh, bob is great! Brings back college memories !!!

------------------

0b32d3c0.gif Life is only complicated because you make it so. Remember what it was like to live carefree - and live that way again!

I can listen to anything but I really like ,gotta go with bouncy boy, 80's punk/ska like the misfits, but really like local punk from the 90's like the suicide machines, the mushuganas crazy shit like that but I cant leave out Pink Floyd I think most of his albums are masterpieces. And what about Al Green?????????????